January transfer window rumours.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Re: January transfer window rumours.

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:45 pm
It won't..he's not going anywhere

Kompany just said there's a big chance to strengthen in at least 2 positions
It's not my decision.

Just there's a good chance this game could be one too many for the fanbase, if it's another home loss. Especially to a team we feel we should beat.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:44 pm
Kompany just said there’s a strong chance we do something and strengthen in a few positions.

‘I want players that are good enough to play in the Premier League. You have to have players who can play at this level.’
Maybe should of thought about that in the summer

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm

THats encouraging from VK. Lets hope we are getting a proper striker as one of these. With the inevitable mistakes in defence and midfield which is leading to goals, a striker who knows where the net is, is going to be critical in gaining points. WE also need an insurance plan should Foster's issues resurface in the second half of the season
This user liked this post: bfcmik

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:53 pm

We are not going down and will beat Luton
Our performances have been improving game on game with an excellent win against a very good Fulham team and robbed at Villa with the fake penalty
These 3 users liked this post: burnley007 Juan Tanamera Anthonini

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm
It's not my decision.

Just there's a good chance this game could be one too many for the fanbase, if it's another home loss. Especially to a team we feel we should beat.
this certainly wont be the view from me or anyone around me in the stands, in fact I think everyone I sit near and speak to are fully supportive of VK and what he is trying to achieve. I'd even go as far as saying the naysayers* near me have even acknowledged that the improvements of late have been "unexpected" in their view and VK is doing well.

*naysayers meaning those who don't usually have anything positive to contribute and are usually the type who say sack the manager if a throw goes against us
These 7 users liked this post: burnley007 Vegas Claret Burnley Ace Juan Tanamera Holtyclaret NewClaret mybloodisclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:44 pm
Kompany just said there’s a strong chance we do something and strengthen in a few positions.

‘I want players that are good enough to play in the Premier League. You have to have players who can play at this level.’
That comment makes the summer window seem even stranger
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:57 pm
this certainly wont be the view from me or anyone around me in the stands, in fact I think everyone I sit near and speak to are fully supportive of VK and what he is trying to achieve. I'd even go as far as saying the naysayers* near me have even acknowledged that the improvements of late have been "unexpected" in their view and VK is doing well.

*naysayers meaning those who don't usually have anything positive to contribute and are usually the type who say sack the manager if a throw goes against us
That's good to hear.

And hopefully we never have to find out.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

burnley007
Been Liked: 640 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:23 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:

Love this.

Should be on the wall outside the Turf for a couple of weeks!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:26 pm

Experienced PL player loans might work if they will come to us. Don’t think we should be splashing the cash on fees or permanent signings.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:

I love a bit of positivity but comments like “VK is doing well is nothing short of delusion”. We are effectively relegated in January if we lose tomorrow.

Can he turn things around, yes potentially (I think it depends who he brings in this window). But right now I think it’s pretty fair to say VK has been nothing short of failure in the prem.

Although I do think performances have improved with a change in shape. (Still a long way to go mind).
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller k90bfc

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm
I love a bit of positivity but comments like “VK is doing well is nothing short of delusion”. We are effectively relegated in January if we lose tomorrow.

Can he turn things around, yes potentially (I think it depends who he brings in this window). But right now I think it’s pretty fair to say VK has been nothing short of failure in the prem.

Although I do think performances have improved with a change in shape. (Still a long way to go mind).
Does it feel good to be so negative all the time?? If you can't see the process that this club is going on, maybe it's time you started following The Arab Toon?
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret Ziggy Stardust

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:39 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:21 pm
THats encouraging from VK. Lets hope we are getting a proper striker as one of these. With the inevitable mistakes in defence and midfield which is leading to goals, a striker who knows where the net is, is going to be critical in gaining points. WE also need an insurance plan should Foster's issues resurface in the second half of the season
Can't understand the obsession with a goal scorer, we could have Salah, but if you don't supply him, or leave him 1 against 5 in the box, he ain't going to score.
Too often Zeki is playing without Foster, he needs a target man alongside him.
Foster often has to go too deep looking for the ball.
Among our many shortcomings this season is transition. We are far too slow in getting the ball forward, which is why we get caught in possession so often.
We do need cover if Foster is likely to be absent again, but it isn't desperate.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:56 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:21 pm
That comment makes the summer window seem even stranger
It really does, which is very many intelligent comments, this one is very strange

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:39 pm
Can't understand the obsession with a goal scorer, we could have Salah, but if you don't supply him, or leave him 1 against 5 in the box, he ain't going to score.
Among our many shortcomings this season is transition. We are far too slow in getting the ball forward, which is why we get caught in possession so often.
We do need cover if Foster is likely to be absent again, but it isn't desperate.
But zeki gets chances, misses them a plenty.
We created not alot under dyche but we were clinical, or rather chris wood was at times for us, for a Yr or 2.

Foster is that goalscorer but who knows if he plays much

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:21 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
I agree with regards to Amdouni, I think getting closer to a target man would get more from him, but Foster won't be dropped as he's our best striker.

We are poor at transitioning I agree. I wouldn't be looking at a striker until we've sorted out other areas of the pitch.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:23 pm

Kompany: Burnley must manage transfer expectations
Vincent Kompany is keen to strengthen his squad during January but admitted he must be realistic about the sort of deals Burnley might be able to do.

The Clarets go into Friday's match against fellow strugglers Luton sitting 19th in the Premier League and five points adrift of safety.

"I'll be honest, there's a big chance we do some strengthening in a couple of positions," Kompany said. "But I want to manage expectations in terms of what we can do at this moment in time.

"It will be difficult to bring in the real, immediate game-changers but I think we can always use a little bit of extra strength just in case something happens, players we think can help us."

Burnley spent big in the summer after earning promotion as champions, with an emphasis on signing young players with growth potential.

But Kompany has been keen to point out that much of that investment was spent on replacing players who had been at the club on loan.

Asked what funds were available this month, Kompany said: "It always depends if someone goes out, or if there's a deal to be done that is a deal that we should do. The truth is, it depends.

"What we can't do is something ludicrous. We have to do something with a really clear purpose."

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:29 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:23 pm
Vincent Kompany is keen to strengthen his squad during January but admitted he must be realistic about the sort of deals Burnley might be able to do.

The Clarets go into Friday's match against fellow strugglers Luton sitting 19th in the Premier League and five points adrift of safety.

"I'll be honest, there's a big chance we do some strengthening in a couple of positions," Kompany said. "But I want to manage expectations in terms of what we can do at this moment in time.

"It will be difficult to bring in the real, immediate game-changers but I think we can always use a little bit of extra strength just in case something happens, players we think can help us."

Burnley spent big in the summer after earning promotion as champions, with an emphasis on signing young players with growth potential.

But Kompany has been keen to point out that much of that investment was spent on replacing players who had been at the club on loan.

Asked what funds were available this month, Kompany said: "It always depends if someone goes out, or if there's a deal to be done that is a deal that we should do. The truth is, it depends.

"What we can't do is something ludicrous. We have to do something with a really clear purpose."
Not to be overly critical but he's not telling the truth regards to the investment being mainly spent on replacing the loanees.

Half of the annoyance about our summer business is that we didn't replace them. Maatsen, Tella or THB.

I'd rather him acknowledge that the balance was wrong in the summer as oppose to try and pull the wool over people's eyes.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Westleigh

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm

Expect incomings at Burnley
Burnley boss Vincent Kompany:

"There is a big chance we do something and strengthen in a couple of positions.

"I just want players that are good enough for the Premier League. You have to have players who can play at this level."

Just a pity he didn't follow this mantra with the summer transfer policy instead of getting in so many young inexperienced guys - getting a bit late to realise that now

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:38 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:29 pm
Not to be overly critical but he's not telling the truth regards to the investment being mainly spent on replacing the loanees.

Half of the annoyance about our summer business is that we didn't replace them. Maatsen, Tella or THB.

I'd rather him acknowledge that the balance was wrong in the summer as oppose to try and pull the wool over people's eyes.
They weren't the only loans though, and apart from Maatsen they were replaced, whether those players have come off as yet is a separate argument. Bayer was also loan which cost money to make permanent

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:13 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:38 pm
They weren't the only loans though, and apart from Maatsen they were replaced, whether those players have come off as yet is a separate argument. Bayer was also loan which cost money to make permanent
Hopefully Bayer makes his debut soon

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:39 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:38 pm
They weren't the only loans no. But it still doesn't change the fact that what he's said isn't accurate. The point I'm making is that we did not spent the majority of our budget replacing the loanees- that's just not true.

Unless you think Obefami, Beyer, Koleosho and O'Shea cost the majority of our budget then what he said can't be true. They're the only ones we've signed/replaced in terms of the previous loanees aren't they?

The majority of our budget (from what I can see) was spent on:

Trafford
Tresor
Ramsey
Amdouni

None of them replace any of the loans do they?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:48 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:39 pm
They weren't the only loans no. But it still doesn't change the fact that what he's said isn't accurate. The point I'm making is that we did not spent the majority of our budget replacing the loanees- that's just not true.

Unless you think Obefami, Beyer, Koleosho and O'Shea cost the majority of our budget then what he said can't be true. They're the only ones we've signed/replaced in terms of the previous loanees aren't they?

The majority of our budget (from what I can see) was spent on:

Trafford
Tresor
Ramsey
Amdouni

None of them replace any of the loans do they?
I'd say Tresor and Amdouni were meant to be

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
The obsession in having a goal scorer is because apart from Foster we don't have one, and we all know how all clarets are sweating about his availability between now and May. If Amdouini was a genuine goal scorer we would still be in the FA cup, and he has missed numerous chances this season. Our strikers compared to other PL teams, and I include Luton and Sheff Utd in this, are miles behind the required level for survival. We are creating chances but our finishing is poor, and we have a huge resistance to shooting. The sum of our strikers is:

Foster-a revelation this season , but will he be fit all games. When not available we are half the team as he offers so much

Amdouini-gets a great chance just about every game but I think he has scored a sum of 3 league goals

Rodriguez-I think we can all see he is finished in the PL. Took his hardest chance v the worst team in the PL, and also a penalty, but a good goal scorer having had his chances this season could be on 6 or 7 goals plus

Obefemi-is he still on our books ?. Played around 30 minutes all season. I know he was recovering from injury until October but he has played for the U-21,s, been on the bench a number of times since his return, but looks like VK will not even pick him as a sub now, and countless times we have been behind since October, chasing the game, and all we do is bring a wide man on

Thats the sum of our strikers and you state you cant see the obsession in wanting one ??

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:01 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:48 pm
I'd say Tresor and Amdouni were meant to be
For who?

Tresor you could maybe argue was bought for Tella's position, but it's Koleosho/Odebert who have replaced that position. Amdouni didn't replace any loan position we had.

I see it like this:

Loanees:

Tella
Maatsen
Beyer
THB
Dervisoglu (however you spell it)

Koleosho has replaced Tella
No one has replaced Maatsen
Beyer was signed permanently
O'Shea has replaced THB
No one has replaced Dervisoglu (although maybe Foster did last year)

I'd find it very hard to say that accounts for the majority of our spend in the summer. I'd have found it more refreshing to hear him say that we didn't quite get the balance right but it's a lesson we've learned from- rather than (in my opinion) stretching the truth a little bit.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:12 pm

There was no point in replacing Dervisoglu was there?
And is the cost per player the only criterion for calling them replacements? Koleosho is no more a replacement for Tella than Oderbert is. I'd say Amdouni or Tresor much more likely.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:17 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:57 pm
The obsession in having a goal scorer is because apart from Foster we don't have one, and we all know how all clarets are sweating about his availability between now and May. If Amdouini was a genuine goal scorer we would still be in the FA cup, and he has missed numerous chances this season. Our strikers compared to other PL teams, and I include Luton and Sheff Utd in this, are miles behind the required level for survival. We are creating chances but our finishing is poor, and we have a huge resistance to shooting. The sum of our strikers is:

Foster-a revelation this season , but will he be fit all games. When not available we are half the team as he offers so much

Amdouini-gets a great chance just about every game but I think he has scored a sum of 3 league goals

Rodriguez-I think we can all see he is finished in the PL. Took his hardest chance v the worst team in the PL, and also a penalty, but a good goal scorer having had his chances this season could be on 6 or 7 goals plus

Obefemi-is he still on our books ?. Played around 30 minutes all season. I know he was recovering from injury until October but he has played for the U-21,s, been on the bench a number of times since his return, but looks like VK will not even pick him as a sub now, and countless times we have been behind since October, chasing the game, and all we do is bring a wide man on

Thats the sum of our strikers and you state you cant see the obsession in wanting one ??
I have a number of issues with this, but the first and most obvious one is that you're asking a hell of a lot to expect a club like us to have two Premier league "goalscorers". I think if you look round the division you'd find that hardly any of them have what you're asking for. You say it's way shorter than teams like Sheff United- yes, I'd much rather have McBurnie and Brewster :lol:

Amdouni has missed a couple of big chances, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's missing a big chance every game. I'm sure someone else will be able to find out how he's doing against his XG but I'd be amazed if it was anything like what you're suggesting. As I've said above I think he'd actually do better with a target man so that he can get closer to the edge of the box, pick up some knockdowns and make things happen further forward. To me he looks like a player that could do with being a bit closer to the box so that when he gets a chance to affect things it's not after he's already travelled 20-30 yards. It's part of the reason I feel he's better suited to a team that dominates opponents more.

Rodriguez offers somthing slightly different- but yes could do with a better sub

Obefami- Who knows.

Foster is the main man though, and while we have someone of his strength in a position, with some back ups (however poor you think they are), I'd much rather see us strengthen other positions, I:E fullbacks, to allow this team to transition better and ultimately help us to create more chances that we can score from- be it strikers or midfielders/wingers.

So I'd still agree with him that I don't see the obsession either. We do need a striker at some point, but it's not priority for me.
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret Holtyclaret

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:18 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:01 pm
For who?

Tresor you could maybe argue was bought for Tella's position, but it's Koleosho/Odebert who have replaced that position. Amdouni didn't replace any loan position we had.

I see it like this:

Loanees:

Tella
Maatsen
Beyer
THB
Dervisoglu (however you spell it)

Koleosho has replaced Tella
No one has replaced Maatsen
Beyer was signed permanently
O'Shea has replaced THB
No one has replaced Dervisoglu (although maybe Foster did last year)

I'd find it very hard to say that accounts for the majority of our spend in the summer. I'd have found it more refreshing to hear him say that we didn't quite get the balance right but it's a lesson we've learned from- rather than (in my opinion) stretching the truth a little bit.
Not particularly like for like, but Tresor or Amdouni as forwards to replace tellas goals and assists.... And their history suggested they would

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:27 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:12 pm
There was no point in replacing Dervisoglu was there?
And is the cost per player the only criterion for calling them replacements? Koleosho is no more a replacement for Tella than Oderbert is. I'd say Amdouni or Tresor much more likely.
Of course there was no point replacing him. What's your point?

Firstly, I've been clear and respectful in what I've said, if you look at who I've included it's quite clear that they are the direct replacements in the team, so please don't suggest I've used cost per player to prove my point. If I was doing so I'd have said Delcroix instead of O'Shea seenashow he cost a lot less.

Out of interest what metric would you use? It seems I've used the only logical one.

Secondly, you can swap Tresor with Tella if you want, but my point would remain the same, I don't think it accounts for the majority of our budget.

If you disagree that's fine, but can you tell/show me why?

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:33 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:18 pm
Not particularly like for like, but Tresor or Amdouni as forwards to replace tellas goals and assists.... And their history suggested they would
To some extent I can accept what you're saying, and I appreciate you responding. If you consider what we replaced to be "goals and assists" you could maybe argue that combined a few of these players could have replaced the loanees in different ways than just personal.

I'd disagree because I personally think we have signed players with the ability to replace the loanees (and I don't think it cost the majority of our budget) I think an Amdouni/Tresor individually is more than good enough to replace a Tella, I just think we didn't prioritse key positions so for me I don't think Kompanys assessment is true.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:40 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:27 pm
Of course there was no point replacing him. What's your point?

Firstly, I've been clear and respectful in what I've said, if you look at who I've included it's quite clear that they are the direct replacements in the team, so please don't suggest I've used cost per player to prove my point. If I was doing so I'd have said Delcroix instead of O'Shea seenashow he cost a lot less.

Out of interest what metric would you use? It seems I've used the only logical one.

Secondly, you can swap Tresor with Tella if you want, but my point would remain the same, I don't think it accounts for the majority of our budget.

If you disagree that's fine, but can you tell/show me why?
I guess I'd use the lump sum divided by the number of incomings, so average cost per new signing.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:43 pm

I think the fact we have not had anything near actual transfer news apart from out going is good as we know most our signings come in under the radar, as it should be.

burnley007

Post by burnley007 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:47 pm

Our signings will likely come later in the month...

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:03 pm

burnley007 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:47 pm
Our signings will likely come later in the month...
I doubt very much that they will come in the first half of the month!

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm

Reading this thread, I think it would a good idea for most of the people that have commented on VK’s press conference quotes from today to actually listen to the press conference for context.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:34 pm

Has everyone forgotten the exciting times last season ,not just the winning but the signing of amazing talent few had even heard of? I expect VK to deliver gems soon as we continue our rise up the table UTC

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:34 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:17 pm
I have a number of issues with this, but the first and most obvious one is that you're asking a hell of a lot to expect a club like us to have two Premier league "goalscorers". I think if you look round the division you'd find that hardly any of them have what you're asking for. You say it's way shorter than teams like Sheff United- yes, I'd much rather have McBurnie and Brewster :lol:

Amdouni has missed a couple of big chances, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's missing a big chance every game. I'm sure someone else will be able to find out how he's doing against his XG but I'd be amazed if it was anything like what you're suggesting. As I've said above I think he'd actually do better with a target man so that he can get closer to the edge of the box, pick up some knockdowns and make things happen further forward. To me he looks like a player that could do with being a bit closer to the box so that when he gets a chance to affect things it's not after he's already travelled 20-30 yards. It's part of the reason I feel he's better suited to a team that dominates opponents more.

Rodriguez offers somthing slightly different- but yes could do with a better sub

Obefami- Who knows.

Foster is the main man though, and while we have someone of his strength in a position, with some back ups (however poor you think they are), I'd much rather see us strengthen other positions, I:E fullbacks, to allow this team to transition better and ultimately help us to create more chances that we can score from- be it strikers or midfielders/wingers.

So I'd still agree with him that I don't see the obsession either. We do need a striker at some point, but it's not priority for me.
You conveniently fail to mention the developing and young Cameron Archer of Sheff Utd, who I recently saw absolutely torment the Villa defence. I am not a big fan of McBurnie but he is an awkward player to play against, just like Ashley Barnes was for us, and sometimes these type of players can worry top defenders. Mc Burnie by the way has the same number of goals as Foster tis season. Brewster has been a huge flop. WE were supposedly in for Archer when VK joined and I think alongside Foster could have formed quite a strike force

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:43 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm
Reading this thread, I think it would a good idea for most of the people that have commented on VK’s press conference quotes from today to actually listen to the press conference for context.
Yes having listened the quote about wanting premier league ready players has been blown out of proportion. He said it along with players who can affect the squad now and perform in this league, it defo wasn’t a dig at the players signed in the summer
This user liked this post: Jakubs Tash

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:08 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:34 pm
Expect incomings at Burnley
Burnley boss Vincent Kompany:

"There is a big chance we do something and strengthen in a couple of positions.

"I just want players that are good enough for the Premier League. You have to have players who can play at this level."

Just a pity he didn't follow this mantra with the summer transfer policy instead of getting in so many young inexperienced guys - getting a bit late to realise that now
I think he did.

His comments “I just want players who are good enough for this league” came in specific relation to a question about whether he was looking at younger players or more experienced ones.

He was saying is that he doesn’t care about whether they are younger or older. He will think all his summer signings are capable of playing at this level, else he wouldn’t have signed them. And if he was brutally honest would probably point to players he inherited or has not been able to upgrade from the Champ winning seasons as the ones who aren’t at this level.

It’s hard to argue since we’re still playing 3 or so regularly that have been relegated before and a RB who cost a million.

In summary, I think that’s a nod to nod to expect young(ish) signings again.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:43 pm
Yes having listened the quote about wanting premier league ready players has been blown out of proportion. He said it along with players who can affect the squad now and perform in this league, it defo wasn’t a dig at the players signed in the summer
Just read this but see my take below. If you’re reading the words written and haven’t listened to the specific question he was answering then you need to go & listen to it.

He was saying he didn’t care what age players were as long as they were capable of playing at this level. And he’ll think all the signings he made in summer are just that.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:14 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:23 pm

My take on this is we’ll be signing players like Pape Gueye - players we think will strengthen us but no world beaters. None that come straight in to the team and massively improve us.

I also think he’s pointing to us needing to sell before we can buy, which is as expected. Roberts and perhaps Brownhill to Everton to replace Onana? Or Benson but really don’t want to consider that, given he’s the only real game changer I think we have on the right.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:17 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:43 pm
I don't think anyone believes VK is having a dig at the summer signings - he made those signings so he is not going to call them out, and rightly so

But for any players to come in now, affect the squad and perform in this league it requires experience at this level and we are going to struggle to find them

Stating the obvious, certainly in relation to Strikers and LB but damping down on any real positive movement

More "squad" players rather than starters ?

Sounds like the purse is pretty much empty unless we can get money in from player sales

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:26 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:10 pm
Just read this but see my take below. If you’re reading the words written and haven’t listened to the specific question he was answering then you need to go & listen to it.

He was saying he didn’t care what age players were as long as they were capable of playing at this level. And he’ll think all the signings he made in summer are just that.
Did you not just read what I put, I said having listened his comments have been blown out of proportion and it certainly wasn’t a dig at the signings he made this summer

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:27 pm

Basically not signing any players who will not improve the first 22? That's how I read it.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:27 pm

Reliable link
Attachments
Screenshot_20240111-212635~2.png
Screenshot_20240111-212635~2.png (335.86 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:17 pm

Sounds like the purse is pretty much empty unless we can get money in from player sales
I read that as meaning ludicrous like top end or wannabe PL clubs spend. No chance of £25-50 million being spent on 1 player, unless, possibly, e manage to bring in that much. I believe we have maybe another £20million in total available in case one of those deals that must be done comes up.

I also think the VK and AP believe that the players we have now are capable of getting us out of our current predicament.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:27 pm
Basically not signing any players who will not improve the first 22? That's how I read it.
Why would you bother signing anyone if they don’t improve the first 22

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:33 pm

Pickles wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:27 pm
Reliable link
He’s certainly got potential that lad. Strange signing as you would imagine Chelsea would only loan him to us for the rest of the season if he’s a certain starter.

I guess he could be brought in to partner Foster?

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:33 pm
He’s certainly got potential that lad. Strange signing as you would imagine Chelsea would only loan him to us for the rest of the season if he’s a certain starter.

I guess he could be brought in to partner Foster?
Foster has a potential injury and the phasing him back in, he may need a break again (I really hope he doesn’t) but I agree they must have reassurances that he’s going to play if he comes on loan

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:36 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm
Why would you bother signing anyone if they don’t improve the first 22
Well, he could look to signing players for the future. I think he would like a couple of signings who would go very quickly into the starting 11, but not stop-gaps, hence strengthening the match-day squad.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:45 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:35 pm
Foster has a potential injury and the phasing him back in, he may need a break again (I really hope he doesn’t) but I agree they must have reassurances that he’s going to play if he comes on loan
You would imagine though that foster will play the majority of the remaining games.

It’s certainly an interesting signing (if we get him, you would imagine Fofana will be start majority of games) and that will result in a change in tactics.

Two big strong, quick forwards up top honestly makes a lot of sense for our style of play. I think this signing is exactly what we have been calling for. Someone to form a successful partnership with Foster.

(As a side note, I think I misread it, it doesn’t mention a loan deal to us. So potentially it’s a permanent deal?) that would be a really exciting signing if true.