January transfer window rumours.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Re: January transfer window rumours.

Post by Bullabill » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:55 pm

'clambering ' ??

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:26 pm

Been away for a while. Any links or...?

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:40 am

BigChaCha wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am
I am staggered at the hype for him in here... He is a one-trick pony, cut inside and that is it!... He couldn't get into a Championship team from the start at times last season and people are expecting him to rip it up in the Prem lol...

We haven't seen much of him this season but what we have seen was awful... Terrible in helping out the defence and the one-trick of cutting inside failing every time because prem defenders aren't stupid!...

We have to remember that the Championship last season was one of the weakest for years so we have to take that into account...

I am not saying he can't become a Prem player with time, or at least an impact sub but if we can make a profit now, we should bite their hands off!
People talk about disrespectful posts but this is a staggeringly insulting post about the player who won us more points than anyone last season. Disgraceful and stupid comment.
He wasn't even a one trick pony, he could go on the outside and put in a cross and did get several assists it's just his cut in shot was unstoppable last season. And it was unstoppable, let alone one trick- teams like Bristol doubled up on him and trained for it and couldn't stop it. He couldn't get in the team at first because he was getting kicked to hell and adapting to the physicality. By the later stages of the season we were practically building our tactics around how to tire out the opposition or otherwise minimise the ability to stop Benson then bring him on for 30-35 minutes to win us the game. Repeatedly. He won us the league at Ewood and he's now being written off as "bite their hands off" for playing a tiny handful of minutes, not always on his favoured side, in a low confidence team. But players like Tresor who have offered absolutely nothing in far more match time at this level are still tipped presumably because we need to recoup the investment.
I enjoy also how when it comes to doing down out of favour players (or the lowering expectations of why we were out possessed and are below a penniless Luton after walking the Championship and far outspending them) we need to remember the Championship was weak last year as if the successes no longer count. But when it comes to extolling how the favourites, or Kompany himself, is wonderful, then suddenly last season is back to being a mega triumph. For some people whatever the club does under Pace is gospel and they'll merrily contradict themselves to back every single decision.
Unbelievable post in honesty, seems our fans are becoming as mercenarial and detached as the owners. And we wonder why some players don't seem as up for it as we'd like. If Benson is a one trick pony then everyone else bar Foster and Berge is a 0 trick pony.
These 7 users liked this post: CoolClaret KlyBfc Woodleyclaret BurnleyFC sjb Cirrus_Minor k90bfc

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:32 am

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:40 am
People talk about disrespectful posts but this is a staggeringly insulting post about the player who won us more points than anyone last season. Disgraceful and stupid comment.
He wasn't even a one trick pony, he could go on the outside and put in a cross and did get several assists it's just his cut in shot was unstoppable last season. And it was unstoppable, let alone one trick- teams like Bristol doubled up on him and trained for it and couldn't stop it. He couldn't get in the team at first because he was getting kicked to hell and adapting to the physicality. By the later stages of the season we were practically building our tactics around how to tire out the opposition or otherwise minimise the ability to stop Benson then bring him on for 30-35 minutes to win us the game. Repeatedly. He won us the league at Ewood and he's now being written off as "bite their hands off" for playing a tiny handful of minutes, not always on his favoured side, in a low confidence team. But players like Tresor who have offered absolutely nothing in far more match time at this level are still tipped presumably because we need to recoup the investment.
I enjoy also how when it comes to doing down out of favour players (or the lowering expectations of why we were out possessed and are below a penniless Luton after walking the Championship and far outspending them) we need to remember the Championship was weak last year as if the successes no longer count. But when it comes to extolling how the favourites, or Kompany himself, is wonderful, then suddenly last season is back to being a mega triumph. For some people whatever the club does under Pace is gospel and they'll merrily contradict themselves to back every single decision.
Unbelievable post in honesty, seems our fans are becoming as mercenarial and detached as the owners. And we wonder why some players don't seem as up for it as we'd like. If Benson is a one trick pony then everyone else bar Foster and Berge is a 0 trick pony.
Absolutely spot on.

Grahamjack
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by Grahamjack » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:15 am

I completely agree our supporters seem to have been brainwashed by VK and the owners.

Luton are doing a far better job at fighting for survival spending next to nothing and keeping most of their promotion team.

We needed to add 3 or 4 athletes down the spine of our team. That’s all!!!

It is hardly a surprise we have struggled signing a team of lightweight young players with lots of potential.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Rumpelstiltskin

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:17 am

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:22 am

I just don't get it. We are desperate for a right winger and we have Benson who scored some brilliant goals last season not even getting a start and chance to show what he can do this season, being loaned out. It has to be either his attitude or fitness in training.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:31 am

Grahamjack wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:15 am
I completely agree our supporters seem to have been brainwashed by VK and the owners.
It’s not all the fans - to be honest it’s only really people on here that can’t hear a bad word said about the club or any of the players.

Huge, embarrassing mistakes have been made from the summer right through to the present day in terms of transfers made and team selections.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:43 am

Grahamjack wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:15 am

Luton are doing a far better job at fighting for survival spending next to nothing and keeping most of their promotion team.

We needed to add 3 or 4 athletes down the spine of our team. That’s all!!!

It is hardly a surprise we have struggled signing a team of lightweight young players with lots of potential.
It’s not a case of being brainwashed by the owners and VK at all. A section of the fans have never accepted the American owners from the outset, calling them ‘chancers’ and ‘asset strippers’ and calling them yanks again and again and again. Then relegation happened and they couldn’t wait to say ‘I told you so’ and predicted another relegation battle and administration and mocked the appointment of VK. Then they went strangely quiet when we won promotion and were no doubt dancing in the streets ok parade day singing how they loved VK more than he will know. Then after a poor 6 months (and yes it has been poor) they are back on every thread getting not so subtle digs in at the club at every opportunity again and again and again. They have contributed largely to the misery this season so far. It might all go pear shaped, it might go very well but the manager has said he has a long term plan over a few years, the owners have said they have a plan and they deserve the common courtesy of the fans of giving them a bloody chance to see it through.
These 14 users liked this post: ClaretCliff Anthonini RVclaret NewClaret Darnhill Claret Holtyclaret Elbarad Andingle CharlieinNewMexico Burnley Ace Lord_Bob Turfytop Vegas Claret WiscoClaret

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:00 am

Can't criticise Benson's way of playing, but criticising and insulting VK and every other summer signing is ok?

Can't stand the double standards of some of you. Who even bought Benson? And Muric Cullen Zaroury... Even Maatsen and Tella?

If it wasn't for VK you would have probably never even heard of them. And be in the championship still.
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret Turfytop

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:00 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:43 am
It’s not a case of being brainwashed by the owners and VK at all. A section of the fans have never accepted the American owners from the outset, calling them ‘chancers’ and ‘asset strippers’ and calling them yanks again and again and again. Then relegation happened and they couldn’t wait to say ‘I told you so’ and predicted another relegation battle and administration and mocked the appointment of VK. Then they went strangely quiet when we won promotion and were no doubt dancing in the streets ok parade day singing how they loved VK more than he will know. Then after a poor 6 months (and yes it has been poor) they are back on every thread getting not so subtle digs in at the club at every opportunity again and again and again. They have contributed largely to the misery this season so far. It might all go pear shaped, it might go very well but the manager has said he has a long term plan over a few years, the owners have said they have a plan and they deserve the common courtesy of the fans of giving them a bloody chance to see it through.
Very well said and so true !
These 2 users liked this post: Anthonini Turfytop

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:18 am

Anthonini wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:00 am
Can't criticise Benson's way of playing, but criticising and insulting VK and every other summer signing is ok?

Can't stand the double standards of some of you. Who even bought Benson? And Muric Cullen Zaroury... Even Maatsen and Tella?

If it wasn't for VK you would have probably never even heard of them. And be in the championship still.
Deliberate misinterpretation.
The point is whenever a player is on the outs there's certain posters who suddenly find any and every reason to argue why that player is rubbish, worth selling and every decision the club makes is right. But if it's a player who is favoured then they're a world beater regardless of actual performances. You're the worst offender by far. You've claimed Trafford is one of the best keepers in the world right now and that Tresor is better for us than Gudmundsson - our factually most productive creator.

The double standard is from that lot. When it suits to do down Benson he's a one trick pony who only looked good because the Championship was weak. But the minute someone questions VKs judgment on ANYTHING it's back to 'we walked the championship last year he knows it all' when these same posters were just saying how crap the league is. How can you do down Benson as not good enough based on a tiny handful of minutes this season, following being our biggest points winner last year, but then use last year to extol ANYTHING else? If the guy who contributed more than anyone to our points tally isn't up to it, who or what is?.
Kompany won a lot of credit for his scouting and management last season, an awful lot. Both have looked so phenomenally different this year it's hard to believe it's the same guy, I have repeatedly said I don't want him sacked and even if relegated I'd give him til at least December provided we arent midtable in the Championship, but this is genuinely cult like blind faith from some people. If Benson wasn't on the outs these posters would be singing his praises, just like they do for new signings regardless of how much or how little they offer. If Tresor suddenly gets ditched those same posters will flip to arguing why he's bad. It's a full "can do no wrong" mentality.

And I'm so sick of people going on about the long term plan and "promoted too early" rhetoric from the board as if it means anything. Mission to Burnley, the documentary that these same people use to point out how Pace seems like a nice guy, spells out that they massively overspent and promotion was a necessity NOT ahead of schedule. Pace said his long term plan heavily involved the Academy, look what's happened there. He said his long term plan involved Dyche, look what happened there. Rhetoric around long-term plans is meaningless. Survival helps our long-term plan more than anything, in a relegation fight you can't completely ignore shorter term survival needs, the board do seem to have completely neglected that and hitched everything to player flipping youngsters- and I blame the board more than Kompany because even if he's scouting and signing them I think he's too seasoned to football to be that naive.
These 3 users liked this post: CoolClaret bumba k90bfc

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:21 am

Anthonini wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:00 am

I can criticise Kompany's philosphy on player turnover and how he's handling the squad - I of course couldn't criticse that last season because he was brand new in through the door.

Your last point about 'still being in the Champ', perhaps yes, but then again next season we will certainly be so i don't see how that has a barring on anything.

Ptgclaret
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Ptgclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:04 am

I hope this works for him, and looking forward to watching him play.

He's a wonderful player to have in a winning/dominant team, and we're neither of them right now.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:24 pm

Benson to Leeds on loan no option to buy
This user liked this post: Anthonini

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:28 pm

I’m comfortable of loaning out players to free up PL slots IF we actually sign some players. I hope we are working hard behind the scenes to do this.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm

[quote=BigChaCha post_id=2260840 time=1705664710 user_id=259

We have to remember that the Championship last season was one of the weakest for years so we have to take that into account...

)
[/quote]

I've only been going to the Turf for a few decades so can you please explain to me why last season's championship is deemed by you as one of the weakest for x number of years and presumably weaker than this seasons'. Is there some sort of gauge I've missed that confirms these opinions? Or are they just oft repeated opinions?
This user liked this post: sjb

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:57 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:24 pm
Benson to Leeds on loan no option to buy
Looks like a good option for the player and the club.
Physically he's the least of all our wingers and we have plenty of them. Premier league doesn't really suit him yet. Maybe he'll come back stronger.

Still hope we can reinforce our midfield and wingback positions.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:52 pm
[quote=BigChaCha post_id=2260840 time=1705664710 user_id=259

)

I've only been going to the Turf for a few decades so can you please explain to me why last season's championship is deemed by you as one of the weakest for x number of years and presumably weaker than this seasons'. Is there some sort of gauge I've missed that confirms these opinions? Or are they just oft repeated opinions?
[/quote]

Always seems to be the ‘weakest ever’ when we get promoted out of it.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:49 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm
Always seems to be the ‘weakest ever’ when we get promoted out of it.
Another good one now -

PL is magically the best it's ever been in the season that we return to it with 2 other teams from 'the worst Championship ever'.

I just find all these equivalances b0llocks tbh.
These 3 users liked this post: Woodleyclaret elwaclaret bumba

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:49 pm
Another good one now -

PL is magically the best it's ever been in the season that we return to it with 2 other teams from 'the worst Championship ever'.

Quite agree. The Premier League, like politicians are very good at self promotion. I do not see ‘continual improvement’ in either their claims or their application of the rules.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:09 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 pm
Quite agree. The Premier League, like politicians are very good at self promotion. I do not see ‘continual improvement’ in either their claims or their application of the rules.
I've had this discussion umpteen times with my mates -

Yes, some of the teams, namely City, Liverpool are very good, but take Man United for example -

When we first came up under Coyle thar United team was far better than any iteration they've had since.

Then there's Chelsea that have been far far better in literally every other Season we've been in the top flight in the 21st Century...

Then you look back at some of the legendary teams that have been in the PL when we weren't in the top flight - early 00s United/Arsenal, mid 00s Chelsea....

Telling me them teams wouldn't blow past half the dross in this league now? Of course they would.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:26 pm

The standard of the bottom half premier league this season is shocking, palace being 9 points clear of us shows how bad we have been. If VAR goes our away against just Forest and Luton then the relegation battle would be very interesting second half of the season

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:56 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:26 pm
The standard of the bottom half premier league this season is shocking, palace being 9 points clear of us shows how bad we have been. If VAR goes our away against just Forest and Luton then the relegation battle would be very interesting second half of the season
It hasn't though, but then how bad have we been to be relying on var decisions to keep us up.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:26 pm
We’d still be in the bottom 3.🤬

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:22 pm

Florian Plettenberg of Sky Germany reporting Churlinov to Schalke
Attachments
Screenshot_20240120-182056~2.png
Screenshot_20240120-182056~2.png (152.78 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

Bigvince
Been Liked: 937 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:30 pm

Good luck to Darko, he’s had a terrible run with injuries and illness, he deserves a a break.
This user liked this post: KateR

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:31 pm

Marc wilmots. There’s a blast from the past.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:42 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:31 pm
Marc wilmots. There’s a blast from the past.
The coach that benched Lukaku for Origi and Benteke. 💔 Still some good old times that world cup in Brazil.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:43 pm

Pickles wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:22 pm
Looks like we could break even on that one. Hopefully he does well.

Goliath
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:47 pm

Redmond, Churlinov and possibly Benson. Good to see Kompany rectifiying the squads imbalance

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:48 pm

It’s a good move for Churlinov.

It’s a shame it hasn’t worked out for him here as he seems like a good egg, but he’s had a torrid time with illness and injuries.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:14 pm

Anthonini wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:42 pm
The coach that benched Lukaku for Origi and Benteke. 💔 Still some good old times that world cup in Brazil.
I was thinking of him playing and scoring in France 98. Never knew he coached Belgium either!

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:24 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:49 pm
Another good one now -

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but it does make you wonder why all the ex pros say the gap is the biggest it's ever been. Even Dyche said it 2 weeks ago

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Pickles wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:22 pm
Absolutely would not be relying on Schalke to pay up! Didn’t think they had a proverbial pot to **** in.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:35 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:56 pm
It hasn't though, but then how bad have we been to be relying on var decisions to keep us up.
It really has

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:35 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 pm
We’d still be in the bottom 3.🤬
Yes we would but it would of made the battle more interesting

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:24 pm
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you but it does make you wonder why all the ex pros say the gap is the biggest it's ever been. Even Dyche said it 2 weeks ago
The financial gap is huge.

Look at what the premier league are spending in comparison.

There’s barely a single profitable club in the championship, they are all having to sell to talent just to balance the books.

This summer window as an example:

Premier league had a net spend of £1.3 billion.

The championship had a net profit of £300 million.

That gap is actually insane. It’s why all the clubs coming up are struggling more and more.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:37 pm

Being able to potentially break even on a player like churlinov who has barely featured fills you with more confidence about other players

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:38 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:36 pm
The financial gap is huge.

Look at what the premier league are spending in comparison.

There’s barely a single profitable club in the championship, they are all having to sell to talent just to balance the books.

This summer window as an example:

Premier league had a net spend of £1.3 billion.

The championship had a net profit of £300 million.

That gap is actually insane. It’s why all the clubs coming up are struggling more and more.
Without FFP some owners in the championship would be able to go crazy

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:42 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:38 pm
Without FFP some owners in the championship would be able to go crazy
With FFP some owners have gone crazy. Look at the finances of some of the clubs. They are on there arse.

alwaysaclaret
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:42 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:35 pm
It really has
Var hasn't gone our way against forest and Luton

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:09 pm
I've had this discussion umpteen times with my mates -

Yes, some of the teams, namely City, Liverpool are very good, but take Man United for example -

When we first came up under Coyle thar United team was far better than any iteration they've had since.

Then there's Chelsea that have been far far better in literally every other Season we've been in the top flight in the 21st Century...

Then you look back at some of the legendary teams that have been in the PL when we weren't in the top flight - early 00s United/Arsenal, mid 00s Chelsea....

Telling me them teams wouldn't blow past half the dross in this league now? Of course they would.
Brighton Villa West Ham Newcastle are miles better than they were last time. It’s gone from 11 or so teams could get relegated to 3 from 7ish.
This user liked this post: COBBLE

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:01 pm

Regarding the gap, I still think that a half decent team coming up from the Championship has a pretty decent chance of survival.

Had we spent in the right areas, I’m confident that we’d have comfortably stayed up. The thing with the Premier League (and it may not always be the case) is that there are usually a handful of teams that are either pretty poor or just a basket case of a club, on self destruct.

We can cite the qualities of those further up the league as much as we like, and how much they spend, but there’s more than enough dross at the lower end to suggest that we should have maintained our place in the division, had we recruited well and maintained the core of the team that served us so well, last season.

I can’t work out whether or not we have simply been naive, or plain stupid, in our dealings this season.

Lots to lean and hopefully it serves us well in the long term.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:03 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:42 pm
Var hasn't gone our way against forest and Luton
I was referring to the standard of the bottom half of prem

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 pm
Brighton Villa West Ham Newcastle are miles better than they were last time. It’s gone from 11 or so teams could get relegated to 3 from 7ish.
& West Ham and Newcastle have had good teams in the past as well, Newcastle when they've had Cabaye Ba etc...

I mean, Wolves rn are 11th - are they really that good? I don't think so; they certainly aren't as god as they were 3/4 years ago.

It's nonsense that it's magically improved and is some sort of 'insurmountable gap'

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:16 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:24 pm
Dyche I believe said "I've been told the gap is the biggest it's ever been"

How do you quantify it? PL spending pre-pandemic was higher than it is now (though it has just caught up).

I don't look it at primarily financially, I mean overall quality... I don't think that theres more than 6-8 teams that would routinely beat other top 6 teams in other European Leagues.

We'd lose 5+games/10 if we played any top 6 team in France/Germany/Spain/Italy, imo.

Goliath
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:25 pm

Surely its because the financial gap has widened massively. There used to be loads of championship clubs throwing money at it, thats not really happening anymore apart from the teams with parachute payments.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:29 pm

Zaroury to France, saint etienne latest rumour

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:34 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:25 pm
Surely its because the financial gap has widened massively. There used to be loads of championship clubs throwing money at it, thats not really happening anymore apart from the teams with parachute payments.
Then we can hardly complain can we? We've been the recipients of 7 years worth of PL money in the past decade and chucked a hell of a lot on this years 'attempt' of staying up.

Fair enough for Luton like, but they're (currently) making a better fist of it than ourselves.