No sign of Culvert work being completed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Re: No sign of Culvert work being completed

Post by Whitgord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:34 pm

The trouble with the whole town to turf scheme is that all the buildings on the north side of the roads need demolishing. The Kierby and the block of disused? offices nearer the market are an absolute eye sore. All the shops opposite The Royal Dyche are also decrepit. A bulldozer could make a huge improvement very quickly.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:42 pm

Whitgord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:34 pm
The trouble with the whole town to turf scheme is that all the buildings on the north side of the roads need demolishing. The Kierby and the block of disused? offices nearer the market are an absolute eye sore. All the shops opposite The Royal Dyche are also decrepit. A bulldozer could make a huge improvement very quickly.
Out of interest, which disused block? Used to be GUS and later Exercise for Less?

Think it's the signage on the buildings across from Prinny. What did the buildings used to look like, some of the others on Yorkshire Street aren't terrible

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Post by Whitgord » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:48 pm

The office block I am thinking of is above Boots Chemist near Charter Walk. I also think the shops on Yorkshire St opposite Croft St are beyond redemption. I realise it would cost a lot but the town needs dragging into this century.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5089 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm

The Town to Turf scheme has just been an absolute grade A **** up. Have the towns councillors or MP gone on record demanding an explanation from LCC as to why the farce is so far behind .

Florian
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Florian » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 pm

Whitgord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:34 pm
Id clear both sides

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:19 pm

Whitgord wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:48 pm
The office block I am thinking of is above Boots Chemist near Charter Walk. I also think the shops on Yorkshire St opposite Croft St are beyond redemption. I realise it would cost a lot but the town needs dragging into this century.
Pretty certain those offices are used, it may be an education setting. See people in them most days.

The parade of shops on Croft street all way down to library are in poor shape I agree.

I wish we would have looked after the old buildings.

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:14 pm

My normal daily commute from work can be anything from 15-30 minutes depending on traffic. Eastern avenue to Pendle way. The last two nights have taken over 1 hour around 4.30pm
This Town to the Turf project appears. to be dragging on for an eternity , I think it started work in June . Not only do they stop one of the main traffic flows around town Church street, Yorkshire street and the roundabout they also decide to create road works at the Mitre Traffic lights single lane, Todmorden road and also I am told Rossendale road. What price are we paying for this vanity project, think of all the omissions of the standstill traffic, wasted fuel cost, peoples time , affect on local shops and businesses. I thought this levelling up fund was to benefit the town ! its bring misery
Burnley used to have many routes in and out of town, Old Accy road which was connected, town centre traffic through st James street , we had less one way systems. and blocked off routes . If they wanted to enrich our lives look at better traffic flow in and out of town. Nobody will come to our pound and charity shops if you get stuck in traffic for hours
I have tried various routes , Eastern avenue /Colne road/active way ,Tod road to Parliament street, Active way,/ St James Street /Cavalry way. I might even try Padiham bypass or the M65 from Briefield. Tried leaving at different times like not on the hour or half hour marks which makes no difference
It's that bad you can't turn down Ormerod road because cars are queued up on Eastern avenue trying to get on, Then at the bottom it is single lane exit t and people turning right up Colne Road stop people turning left on Church street.
Do Lancashire County council look at the chaos they cause, Is anyone bothered ? Burnley is poorly planned out majority of work/edication places are up Eastern avenue area /Boohoo /Safran/two large schools Blessed and Sir John Thursby/Hospital etc Majority of people don't live in Burnley so commute from out of town all trying to get to the Motorway at Junction 10 . It's no better near the new Burnley college /Asda . It would help if they was a slip road to the M65 to Preston at the Crowwood junction perhaps traffic wouldn't clog up the town the same .
This user liked this post: burnleymik

atlantalad
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by atlantalad » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am

But, isn’t it the mission of town planners is to reduce car usage in town centres by any means possible. Hence the Town to Turf ‘walk.’

Chaos arising through the development and introduction of supposed ‘Greenways’ and ‘traffic calming’ schemes to aid the couple of ‘potential’ cyclists crossing/ using 100 metre of a road a day in the middle of no where are yet more examples.

Cause maximum disruption to motorists and they’ll find another way to visit the town ( or better still keep away) = mission achieved.

RicardoMontalban
Been Liked: 289 times
Has Liked: 312 times

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 am

It’s probably worth remembering that while the T2T project is running behind schedule, the original completion estimate was still summer of 2024. It’s not as if it should have been completed by now.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 am
It’s probably worth remembering that while the T2T project is running behind schedule, the original completion estimate was still summer of 2024. It’s not as if it should have been completed by now.
The signs originally put up in June said that the roadworks would be in place for 6 weeks. The road was supposed to be clear before the football season started.

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:41 am

The signs originally put up in June said that the roadworks would be in place for 6 weeks. The road was supposed to be clear before the football season started.
That was the culvert repairs works, not the whole T2T scheme.

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:45 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 am
As has been mentioned, that was for a specific piece of work. The whole project was originally planned to be completed in summer 2024. Now it’s September.

https://burnley.gov.uk/business/economi ... wn-2-turf/

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:51 am

atlantalad wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am
But, isn’t it the mission of town planners is to reduce car usage in town centres by any means possible. Hence the Town to Turf ‘walk.’

Chaos arising through the development and introduction of supposed ‘Greenways’ and ‘traffic calming’ schemes to aid the couple of ‘potential’ cyclists crossing/ using 100 metre of a road a day in the middle of no where are yet more examples.

Cause maximum disruption to motorists and they’ll find another way to visit the town ( or better still keep away) = mission achieved.
I love how someone dreamed to the phrase 'Town to Turf walk'. Like we couldn't do this before the expensive and disrupted tarting up began. Should have left the roundabout alone - it worked. Some of the money could have gone on the subway - better lights and 24/7 CCTV.

Aye, keep away would be my advice. I avoid the town centre like the plague and use the bypass or motorway to go round it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am

RicardoMontalban wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:45 am
As has been mentioned, that was for a specific piece of work. The whole project was originally planned to be completed in summer 2024. Now it’s September.

https://burnley.gov.uk/business/economi ... wn-2-turf/
But has that specific piece of work been completed? As far as I remember it, the road was supposed to be open before the football season started, and there were definitely signs saying "6 weeks". What exactly was supposed to have happened on those 6 weeks?

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm
Have the towns councillors or MP gone on record demanding an explanation from LCC as to why the farce is so far behind .
We have 44 local councillors and 6 county councillors all from various parties/independents, plus an MP - hardly a peep.

RicardoMontalban

Post by RicardoMontalban » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:51 am

dsr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am
But has that specific piece of work been completed? As far as I remember it, the road was supposed to be open before the football season started, and there were definitely signs saying "6 weeks". What exactly was supposed to have happened on those 6 weeks?
I’m not sure to be honest, possibly the viaduct and culvert cleaning which I believe has been done.

Don’t know what the delays are but it’s possible that whatever they were they happened further up the schedule -maybe Harry Potts Way, or the culvert but took longer than anticipated, and it’s all a knock on. That section may have been intended for 6 weeks but that’s not to say further closures weren’t necessary and it’s all got snarled up.

The point I was making was the whole thing was predicted to take 12 months or so.
This user liked this post: dsr

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 pm

The problem is the way it's being done. Keeping 2 way traffic on Yorkshire Steet except where physically impossible should have been top priority. It just has not been. The work appears to have been strung out over the full length, when short sections should have been used.

As I said earlier, once the new kerbs had bern constructed, the new pavings could have been done whilst allowing 2 way traffic. Especially when the apparent urgent work near the Aldi roundabout became necessary. LCC Highways have every power they needed to have sorted this and should have. They control who does what, when and have loads of sanctions available.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:06 pm

Anyone else noticed that since these works started we’ve lost every game at home? Coincidence? I don’t think so. :)
This user liked this post: dsr

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am
The culvert repair works as has already been said. The six weeks sign was specifically regarding that, nothing to do with the T2T.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:10 pm

dushanbe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm
The culvert repair works as has already been said. The six weeks sign was specifically regarding that, nothing to do with the T2T.
In which case it would have been helpful to put another sign up saying that disruption for other aspects of the scheme would go on for the foreseeable future. What is the point of advertising disruption for 6 weeks if they know full well it will be a year? It's worse than saying nothing at all.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:49 pm

turbo5 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:14 pm
My normal daily commute from work can be anything from 15-30 minutes depending on traffic. Eastern avenue to Pendle way. The last two nights have taken over 1 hour around 4.30pm
This is about a 15 minute bike ride.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:09 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:10 pm
In which case it would have been helpful to put another sign up saying that disruption for other aspects of the scheme would go on for the foreseeable future.
That's one big sign!!!

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:21 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 pm
The problem is the way it's being done. Keeping 2 way traffic on Yorkshire Steet except where physically impossible should have been top priority. It just has not been. The work appears to have been strung out over the full length, when short sections should have been used.

As I said earlier, once the new kerbs had bern constructed, the new pavings could have been done whilst allowing 2 way traffic. Especially when the apparent urgent work near the Aldi roundabout became necessary. LCC Highways have every power they needed to have sorted this and should have. They control who does what, when and have loads of sanctions available.
And what’s really frustrating is that LCC are doing the work and still make a mess of the works programming

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:53 pm

Rowls wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:49 pm
This is about a 15 minute bike ride.
Which begs the question, which is more fun - a 15 minute bike ride in the dark on a freezing cold night, or a 15 minute bike ride in the dark when it's warmer but chucking it down?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm

A682 Closed for a couple of weeks at Newsholme ... between LP and Gisburn ... replacing the Railway bridge ... so its a roundabout route for us on Saturday 🤔

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:05 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm
A682 Closed for a couple of weeks at Newsholme ... between LP and Gisburn ... replacing the Railway bridge ... so its a roundabout route for us on Saturday 🤔
Not replacing bridge, building customs post to control Yorkies sneaking into the paradise that is Lancashire.😝

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:16 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:53 pm
Which begs the question, which is more fun - a 15 minute bike ride in the dark on a freezing cold night, or a 15 minute bike ride in the dark when it's warmer but chucking it down?
No, the question it begs is, which is more fun - a 15 minute bike ride or being sat in a car for an hour to travel 3 miles?

I'm only a cyclist because I can't afford a car but it's one of the most serendipitous things I've ever experienced. I've lost half a stone and 2% of body fat in a matter of months. Not to mention my overall fitness improving and the mood enhancing effects of the daily workout.

If anybody reading this thread is enduring a hideous car commute of 4-5 miles then I implore them to leave the car at home and dust off their old bike.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:36 pm

giveusaB
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by giveusaB » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:53 am

Update with video & pictures from the Burnley express.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/tra ... RPsLN-h7ug

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:08 am

giveusaB wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:53 am
Update with video & pictures from the Burnley express.

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/tra ... RPsLN-h7ug
I know things look worse in winter but I walked through the other day and it’s such a sh!t hole around that whole area.

The problem is it’s a little like when you decorate a room at home, it highlights how badly the others need doing, or if you do some white glossing, you end up doing the whole house.

It’s a good start though 😂

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 am

There's the pictures so you don't have use that God awful Burnley Express website
IMG_1397.jpeg
IMG_1397.jpeg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
IMG_1398.jpeg
IMG_1398.jpeg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
IMG_1399.jpeg
IMG_1399.jpeg (56.06 KiB) Viewed 2134 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:37 am

IMG_1394.jpeg
IMG_1394.jpeg (85.28 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
IMG_1393.jpeg
IMG_1393.jpeg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
IMG_1395.jpeg
IMG_1395.jpeg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:37 am

IMG_1389.jpeg
IMG_1389.jpeg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_1390.jpeg
IMG_1390.jpeg (80.74 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_1392.jpeg
IMG_1392.jpeg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:38 am

IMG_1385.jpeg
IMG_1385.jpeg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_1387.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg (76.67 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
IMG_1388.jpeg
IMG_1388.jpeg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:38 am

IMG_1382.jpeg
IMG_1382.jpeg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
IMG_1383.jpeg
IMG_1383.jpeg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
IMG_1384.jpeg
IMG_1384.jpeg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:40 am

IMG_1378.jpeg
IMG_1378.jpeg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
IMG_1379.jpeg
IMG_1379.jpeg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
IMG_1380.jpeg
IMG_1380.jpeg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 2123 times

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:41 am

IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1377.jpeg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 2118 times

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:48 am

Doesn't appear to be any great rush to get it finished. The council really are having a laugh at us all.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:52 am

What a mess

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5089 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:11 am

Not to worry, LCC have brought in there top groundworker in who is the fastest on their books to speed things up.
He's there now.
download.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:19 am

By the time it's finished we'll be bankrupt, in league 2 and there will be nobody going to The Turf anyway! It only makes sense if the ground is full every game and we're attracting loads of visitors and media attention.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:31 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:19 am
By the time it's finished we'll be bankrupt, in league 2 and there will be nobody going to The Turf anyway! It only makes sense if the ground is full every game and we're attracting loads of visitors and media attention.
It needed doing regardless, its been neglected for way to long and was dreadfully designed for pedestrians getting into town. I hope they are putting cycle lanes in, w need to be encouraging people to use bikes as much as we can. The benefits are huge for many different reasons.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:42 am

Had a drive up there a week or so ago. Was really impressed with the work that has been done, but what’s the situation outside the Dyche, etc?

Are they just delayed? Surely can’t be taking this long for normal delays? Must be a problem?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:38 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:42 am
Had a drive up there a week or so ago. Was really impressed with the work that has been done, but what’s the situation outside the Dyche, etc?

Are they just delayed? Surely can’t be taking this long for normal delays? Must be a problem?
The pub has tweeted this morning that work is due to start this week on the path outside.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:44 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:38 pm
The pub has tweeted this morning that work is due to start this week on the path outside.
So only another 6 months. Then another couple of years for the traffic light system.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:48 pm

I still think it’s criminal they got rid of the old roundabout. The trees kept the Kierby out of your eyesight a bit and now you can’t avoid looking at the eyesore.

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 pm

deanothedino wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:48 pm
I still think it’s criminal they got rid of the old roundabout. The trees kept the Kierby out of your eyesight a bit and now you can’t avoid looking at the eyesore.
I was gutted when they were felled. Fair enough, tart up the pavement under the culvert and Harry Potts Way, but as for the rest - like you say, it exacerbates the eyesore and makes that entrance to the town centre look even more of an unwelcoming dump than it did before.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 pm
I was gutted when they were felled. Fair enough, tart up the pavement under the culvert and Harry Potts Way, but as for the rest - like you say, it exacerbates the eyesore and makes that entrance to the town centre look even more of an unwelcoming dump than it did before.
Even the tarting up isn’t going well. It’s harder walking to the Turf from town than it was before. They’ve extended the small wall to the underpass too soon as now you get trapped in a narrow pavement in a huge crowd if you’ve come that way unless you hop the wall.

Just not joined up thinking at all.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:15 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:02 pm
It doesn't take much more work. If they painted or clad the white parts of the Kierby to match the building across the road, it’d look less of an eye sore. They should also pull away all the old UCFB window adverts and tint them all black.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't cost a great deal to have a bit of neatness.

BobSykes
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by BobSykes » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:19 pm

A staggeringly pointless waste of public money, and a classic case of polishing a turd. As others have said any prettification serves only to draw attention to what hasn't been tarted up, and in particular brings the Keirby front and centre. Madness.

As for the ridiculous time this scheme of work is taking, staggering.

And replacing a busy but functional roundabout with a 4 way traffic light junction, well i think we know how that will end...
Last edited by BobSykes on Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG