Positives and negatives

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Positives and negatives

Post by Westleigh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:54 pm

Positives
Berge excellent
Koleoshoe excellent
Amdouni has plenty of ability but it’s not coming off at the moment
Jay seemed fitter than a few weeks ago
One week nearer to Foster coming back
Ramsey showed a few nice attacking touches and has potential
We can't drop any lower until the end of the season
Ekdal getting back to fitness

Negatives
Kompany’s game management
Can’t take throw ins
Trafford still like a jelly fish on the line ( but he did play a few more long balls)
Every clubs fans in the Prem and the Championship ******* themselves at best team in the championship only having 4 points.

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 246 times

Re: Positives and negatives

Post by Vincent'sCap » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:13 pm

Your negatives really are a pile of shite.
These 2 users liked this post: Florian NewClaret

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:28 pm

Luca & Zeki, Begre positives.

However barring the penalty we didn’t really look like scoring/seriously threaten.

Conceded 2 goals yet again from nothing.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Not sure what Amdouni did with that header.

Best chance of the game.

There were some positives though.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:33 pm

JR1882 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:28 pm
Luca & Zeki, Begre positives.
Thing that makes me laugh is that our best players are quite clearly our new signings.

Yet some wet wipes online cry about the fact we’re not playing last years team! :lol: it’s crazy when we’ve quite clearly signed better players. Just not enough.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:48 pm

Vincent'sCap wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:13 pm
Your negatives really are a pile of shite.
Thankyou oh wise one.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:54 pm

We played well today for 80 odd minutes and were the better side.
We had two or three decent chances but a lack of concentration and experience when it mattered did for us but we are improving., there's no doubt about it.
Im glad the morons of the football world - and on here - are writing us off.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:01 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Best chance of the game.

Not the first time, he's shite with his head

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:09 pm

Positive for me is we should've won our last two home games

The negative is we got zero points.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:09 pm

We can talk positively all night about some of players, and I agree, some are looking OK. But at the end of the day we have an attack that just about occasionally scores one goal playing in front of a defence that requires at least three. That is pretty negative for any team.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:12 pm

Positives:
Today was the first time this season there was noticeable improvement and replication of some of the patterns of play we saw last season
Berge, Koleosho and JBG were all good

Negatives: We won't have an easier game all season, WHU had their strikers missing and we still allowed them to score twice from open play

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:13 pm

Positives. Berge.

Negative(s)? Absolute disaster losing that game. The team and the management must feel as devastated as I do.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:14 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:33 pm
Thing that makes me laugh is that our best players are quite clearly our new signings.

Yet some wet wipes online cry about the fact we’re not playing last years team! :lol: it’s crazy when we’ve quite clearly signed better players. Just not enough.
Have we ?
O Shea is not better than THB, Ekdal, Beyer etc
O’Shea is not good enough for this league.

Not sure any of our new wingers are better than Benson or Zaroury but Koleosho has been a positive for the little money we paid for him. He is lacking end product though and the jury is out as to whether he can strike a ball as i’m yet to see it.

Amdouni has looked good in spells and had a decent game today but questionable whether he’s better than Tella and he’s certainly not played as well as Foster (in the context of comparing our new players to ones we had last season)

Trafford v Muric debate been done to death but you are going to have to convince a hell of a lot of people if you thing the new signing is better.

Berge is the only one I’d say you can definitely say is better than what we had last year.

I look at the starting line up today and you have Vitinho, Taylor, Jay Rod, and JBG - all players who last season did not get in our first eleven….and they are now starting most weeks.
Add to that Trafford and O’Shea and the energy and threat we have lost with Benson, Tella, Maatsen etc and it’s not really that hard to see why we are struggling so much.

Hopefully what we do have is more potential. It’s really hard to tell whether we do or not at the moment because of how much we are struggling but given how much we have spent we have to hope that these players can develop a lot more.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:18 pm

Played quite well for 80 minutes or so…. It was the completely unnecessary and pointless substitutions that cost us the game today. I could understand the 1 for 1 koleosho/zaroury change, but the introduction of Cullen and Ramsay, which then necessitated the positional/formation change was utterly bizarre, especially considering we were holding them at the time.

Positives? Struggling to be honest…. I suppose I could say no one really had a poor game, and most had a decent game.

Negatives? Poor, poor subs. What on earth was the thinking behind them? Shoring up? Winning 2-0? Utterly bizarre. How he goes into that dressing room and “sells” that as anything other than a VK mistake is beyond me….

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:19 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:14 pm
Have we ?
O Shea is not better than THB, Ekdal, Beyer etc
O’Shea is not good enough for this league.

Not sure any of our new wingers are better than Benson or Zaroury but Koleosho has been a positive for the little money we paid for him. He is lacking end product though and the jury is out as to whether he can strike a ball as i’m yet to see it.

Amdouni has looked good in spells and had a decent game today but questionable whether he’s better than Tella and he’s certainly not played as well as Foster (in the context of comparing our new players to ones we had last season)

Trafford v Muric debate been done to death but you are going to have to convince a hell of a lot of people if you thing the new signing is better.

Berge is the only one I’d say you can definitely say is better than what we had last year.

I look at the starting line up today and you have Vitinho, Taylor, Jay Rod, and JBG - all players who last season did not get in our first eleven….and they are now starting most weeks.
Add to that Trafford and O’Shea and the energy and threat we have lost with Benson, Tella, Maatsen etc and it’s not really that hard to see why we are struggling so much.

Hopefully what we do have is more potential. It’s really hard to tell whether we do or not at the moment because of how much we are struggling but given how much we have spent we have to hope that these players can develop a lot more.
I agree about Muric.

The rest I’m pretty happy to wait and see how next season pans out to have the debate.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:22 pm

Positives are irrelevant as we get zero points.... again

Big Vinny K
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:32 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:19 pm
I agree about Muric.

The rest I’m pretty happy to wait and see how next season pans out to have the debate.
Which makes it all the stranger when you call out “wet wipes” online crying and think they are crazy because you think we’ve “clearly” signed better players.

At this stage it’s anything but clear….but I’m happy to wait to till how the season pans out and I have tried not to be too critical about any of our new signings. As difficult as this season has been last season is still fresh in my mind and I still think we are lucky to have someone like VK in charge.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:48 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:32 pm
Which makes it all the stranger when you call out “wet wipes” online crying and think they are crazy because you think we’ve “clearly” signed better players.

At this stage it’s anything but clear….but I’m happy to wait to till how the season pans out and I have tried not to be too critical about any of our new signings. As difficult as this season has been last season is still fresh in my mind and I still think we are lucky to have someone like VK in charge.
My point about being happy to wait and see was that I’m certain they’ll destroy the champ (if they stay - I think a few will be poached and we’ll have to sell - no way Koleosho and Berge play like that all season & don’t get attention)… but can’t be bothered arguing about it so will just wait and see.

I agree we are incredibly lucky to have VK in charge.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:14 pm

The big positive is that for most of the match we looked better than, and ready to beat, a team that is really pretty good at this level. Performances have been trending up and today was the best of the season. There's obviously a big problem with scoring goals but the truth is the last three performances will lead to results if we keep them up.

As said above, Berge, Amdouni and Koleosho are all looking like brilliant signings.

VK got it wrong at the end of the game, but I think a lot of people are failing to take into account that he's learning on the job. There was a learning curve for him last season when he had assembled a group of players with the ability to walk the league, so it shouldn't now come as a surprise there's more of a learning curve in a league that's a lot harder to play in when the group of players is in the bottom half talentwise. If we stop seeing growth it will be cause for concern but we aren't at that stage at all.
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret CrosspoolClarets Archer

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:24 pm

We played well, but we failed to put the game to bed. Then, we failed to keep possession when it mattered.
We are not a balls to the wall type of team like in the past. The way we avoid goals is by keeping the ball and we didn't control the game.
We should have had two penalties.
Their first was a bit unlucky.
Bad marking for their second.

Still, its a lesson but it shows we can win games. We just have to get better at scoring.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:32 pm

Sadly the result and way we totally capitulated erased any positives about the performance in the 1st 85 minutes.

If we are clutching at straws then the positives are that a settled side started to look more cohesive. And that it's obvious our experienced players make a real difference.

Sadly though Kompany is giving this side no chance at all with his bizarre subs - Cullen for Guddy was effectively what upset the balance and meant we lost all our shape. I'd have left him on to be honest but if you want to bring on fresh legs why not on of the gazillion wide players at our disposal?

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:33 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:24 pm
We played well, but we failed to put the game to bed. Then, we failed to keep possession when it mattered.
We are not a balls to the wall type of team like in the past. The way we avoid goals is by keeping the ball and we didn't control the game.
We should have had two penalties.
Their first was a bit unlucky.
Bad marking for their second.

Still, its a lesson but it shows we can win games. We just have to get better at scoring.
No. It shows ee can't win games. This side is going down bottom by a long way

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:36 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:18 pm
Played quite well for 80 minutes or so…. It was the completely unnecessary and pointless substitutions that cost us the game today. I could understand the 1 for 1 koleosho/zaroury change, but the introduction of Cullen and Ramsay, which then necessitated the positional/formation change was utterly bizarre, especially considering we were holding them at the time.

Positives? Struggling to be honest…. I suppose I could say no one really had a poor game, and most had a decent game.

Negatives? Poor, poor subs. What on earth was the thinking behind them? Shoring up? Winning 2-0? Utterly bizarre. How he goes into that dressing room and “sells” that as anything other than a VK mistake is beyond me….
This.

Koleosho needed changing - he was out of steam. Amdouni was a bit odd as he played well after we scored (was usual all fur coat no knickers for teh first 50 mins though) although I thought Ramsay did really well and ee looked dangerous still.
It was the Cullen one that tipped it. And at that point there were 5 mins - keep Guddy on

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:40 pm

One positive from today is the good work the club are doing with regards to food collection and helping the needy

This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:50 pm

Positives:

Koleosho, Amdouni and Berge are all growing quickly. Beyer to a degree, even Trafford.
Dominant performances at home now against United, Palace and West Ham. Just those fine margins but if we stick an extra one in and avoid an error or two we win these games.

Negatives:
Not sure that Vitinho, O’Shea and to a lesser degree Beyer cope well when under the cosh defending a lead.
Cullen looks like he worsens us at this level and he is our POTY
Finishing is iffy

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:55 pm

POSITIVE

David Moyes just said on MOTD - "there's very little between teams at PL level... even Burnley".

A gentleman.

Taffy on the wing
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:23 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Best chance of the game.

He got a pretty good nudge whilst in the air....it didn't help.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:51 pm

Positives for me were:

- Berge, Amdouni, Koleosho.
- Generally our play was very good, bar the last five minutes.
- Ramsay looked bright when he came on.
- JRod faught for us.

Negatives:

- Both goals from the left after Koleosho came off. He was blowing fair do’s, so could see why VK did it but Zaroury was poor for both goals. Tracked back but never got a tackle in/goal side for the 1st, in the middle leaving Berge to do dis job for the second. Really don’t trust him defensively at all.
- Slow passing. Speed it up two gears guys.
- Need to be a bit more direct and drive in to the box on occasion.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:53 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:55 pm
POSITIVE

David Moyes just said on MOTD - "there's very little between teams at PL level... even Burnley".

A gentleman.
They always say that after a win - it's akin to a child getting his hair ruffled off an elder.

If we'd have shithoused a 1-0 win he wouldn't have come out with that.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:58 pm

Negatives:
1. Allowing the cross for the first goal
2. Cullen and Rodriguez trying unsuccessfully to defend the second goal at the far post
3. Our inability to score a goal except from 11 metres with just the keeper to beat

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:43 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:54 pm
We played well today for 80 odd minutes and were the better side.
We had two or three decent chances but a lack of concentration and experience when it mattered did for us but we are improving., there's no doubt about it.
Im glad the morons of the football world - and on here - are writing us off.
Totally with you on this.
It's like the average fan has the mindset of a toddler.

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:45 am

Positives.

This club is going in a POSITIVE direction, not just aiming to tread water and be plucky little Burnley.

Negatives

Fans with no patience, understanding, faith, hope etc. Reading stuff on here makes me wonder how some people manage to get through each day without topping themselves.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:54 am

Positives

I'd get a season ticket
No VAR next season
Will see more goals for us
Will see some wins
Hopefully some better footbsll
Lots of derby games
Slim chance Blackburn might not be in the league

Negatives
Blackburn might stay down, and it gives them 2 more cracks at us
Probably be on TV a lot with silly kick off times
Lots of midweek games so my midweek 6 a side and family plans get messed about

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:04 am

Positives : should be easier to get away tickets now

IrkthePurists
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by IrkthePurists » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:23 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:14 pm
The big positive is that for most of the match we looked better than, and ready to beat, a team that is really pretty good at this level. Performances have been trending up and today was the best of the season. There's obviously a big problem with scoring goals but the truth is the last three performances will lead to results if we keep them up.

As said above, Berge, Amdouni and Koleosho are all looking like brilliant signings.

VK got it wrong at the end of the game, but I think a lot of people are failing to take into account that he's learning on the job. There was a learning curve for him last season when he had assembled a group of players with the ability to walk the league, so it shouldn't now come as a surprise there's more of a learning curve in a league that's a lot harder to play in when the group of players is in the bottom half talentwise. If we stop seeing growth it will be cause for concern but we aren't at that stage at all.
Exactly this.

I’m bought into what the club is trying to do. Relegation feels inevitable but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest because I am absolutely convinced we will start next season with a better squad than we started last season, so would back us to come straight back up.

At the start of last season not many were predicting promotion and hoping for a season of consolidation in the Championship. Had that played out we’d now be stuck in there with Leeds. Southampton, Leicester without a hope in hell of a 100 point season.

As tough as this is, I think it plays out ok if you take a longer term view.