Left Winger

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Since62
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Left Winger

Post by Since62 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:32 am

With Luca injured should it be Zaroury, Odobert or Tresor on the left?
I would give Anass the opportunity to regain the shirt. Odobert may be most like Koleosho but I haven’t seen enough of him yet. Not sure about Tresor.
As the Black and White thread I’m not looking for an argument just an opinion.
This user liked this post: Westleigh

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Left Winger

Post by RVclaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:39 am

Time for Tresor to show why he was voted the best player in Belgium last season and why we are paying 15-16m for him. Interestingly this Saturday we will play against Mitoma and Adingra on the wings, two players who spent a season on loan in Belgium, yet had nowhere near the same output (g and a’s) as him last season.

Aside, I thought he looked lively in the past couple of sub appearances and needs a run on the left.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:42 am

I guess it’s the one who is showing a bit more in training and can link up play. I like Anass but occasionally he lacks a bit of effort getting back to carry out his defensive duties.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:46 am

Personally I would allow Taylor to play as wing back covering all of the left hand side and then play both JBG and Brun Larson on the right wing to overpower Brighton on that side of the pitch. I can see with this set up we could easily win the game against a weak and tactically naive Brighton team

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:51 am

You'd guess we'll see more of all three now. Up to them to make the most of it when they're on the pitch.

Things might change again when Benson returns to the team on the right. Assuming he starts, we might look for more balance and defensive capability on the left wing.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:55 am

Might make VK scrap his current plans and go all defence and see if we can snatch a winner .

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:30 pm

Agree, Tresor.

Money is proven to talk in this league. He costs money. He has pedigree. There is clearly a chance this can be our positive turning point, like Dwight a few years ago at Christmas. But Tresor hasn’t yet adapted to the physicality and intensity (like Bailey the Villa match winning last night was admitting about his last season). Let’s play him for 60 minutes each game and speed up that adaptation.

I believe Tresor will be a better player than Koleosho when we factor in crosses and dead balls, and I love watching and am a fan of the young American.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4110 times
Has Liked: 6593 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:11 pm

Utterly unconvinced by tresor. He’s looked weak and slow. I have been trying to find some mitigating reasons for that. I have struggled really and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s because he’s weak and slow. If he was strong and quick, he’d be elsewhere.

I’d like to see a combination of Odobert to start, with Anass to come on for the last twenty. The Benson role if you will…

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:10 pm

bobinho wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:11 pm
Utterly unconvinced by tresor. He’s looked weak and slow. I have been trying to find some mitigating reasons for that. I have struggled really and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s because he’s weak and slow. If he was strong and quick, he’d be elsewhere.

I’d like to see a combination of Odobert to start, with Anass to come on for the last twenty. The Benson role if you will…
Weak I sort of agree although I think that is more him still coming to terms with the league than him being weak, but he certainly has pace maybe not as much as Luca, Obafemi or odebert. He will come good I think doesn’t strike
Me as a typical winger though more an attacking midfielder so not really played him to his strengths yet I guess.

brexit
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:13 pm

Sure he was a poster on the old clarets mad?

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:46 pm

I like to see more of Redmond to be honest. Think we need an old head.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:20 pm

Just said on the Mike Tresor thread...I don't think he's a winger. Played from the left in Belgium (like Brereton-Diaz did at Blackburn) but not a winger like Koleosho and Zaroury are.

Whenever Tresor comes on as a sub he tends to drift very central and leaves us with no width and no outlet. I wouldn't be totally against Tresor playing as one of the front two central players.

Redmond or Zaroury for me with Odobert being the impact sub.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2835 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:52 pm

Personally, I think the answer is Redmond for Saturday because he provides a more direct threat and has experience of this division to offer.

Tresor looks a footballer to me, but he looks like someone who drifts into space and then looks to pick a pass, rather than someone who carries the ball and commits defenders. That makes him more like JBG and JBL. The problem is that as of yet he hasn't suggested he can do the defensive shift that JBG in particular will do and still wants far too much time on the ball (there is plenty of precedent, unfortunately, for players of his ilk not adjusting to English football).

Zaroury seems to me to have had an incredibly harsh deal this season and I'd like him to be given a go - at least from the bench. The other interesting option, however, would be to shift Amdouni to the left wing and bring in Obafemi alongside Jay. We badly need more pace in behind and I'm not sure we've worked out what Amdouni's best position is yet.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:00 pm

For this game I'd like to see Redmond for Andoumi, JBG starting for JBL, and Zaroury left wing.
I'm thinking about experience levels in English football

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1803 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:09 pm

Our ex PL players definitely play the refs better. JBG, Taylor, Brownhill, Cork, all better at winning free kicks - and also know when to get in the ref's face, which definitely has its place, like it or not.

They need to pass some of that on.