Today's result in perspective...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goddy
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 694 times

Today's result in perspective...

Post by Goddy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Now quite a few are going to say 'we needed a win given the other teams around us and their results', however;
1. Sheff U beat an injury-ravaged Brentford (at home, too)
2. Forest got a point against a poor Wolves team who we should have got a point from too
3. Palace were beaten (and, I reckon, are also in the mire)
4. We've nicked a point at high-flying, in-form, in Europe Brighton......away from home.

Given all that, I think we could/should be reasonably happy with all that.

Equally, we've scored 6 in the last 3 games, only conceded 2 and picked up 4 points from 3 games (with two of those games being away from home).

Personally, I think we're getting there and definitely far from relegated. I shall be having a muted celebration tonight but will enjoy MOTD, for once, and I'll look forward with increasing confidence for the rest of the season.

COYC - we can do this

PS Bournemouth out of the sh1t in my humble opinion...but we'll beat them when we need to later in the season
These 8 users liked this post: Bosscat SalisburyClaret frankinwales cockneyclaret bfcjg yosserhughes ArmchairDetective k90bfc

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Re: Today's result in perspective...

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:30 pm

Think most Clarets would have been happy with a point before the game.
These 6 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Jjjack bfcjg AfloatinClaret South West Claret. k90bfc

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:33 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:30 pm
Yep, EC, I meant to mention that, too....how many (even those with the most claret-tinted glasses) would have thought we'd get a point at Brighton????!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:34 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
I would for certain ... Frustrating we couldn't get it over the line but like the OP said we were away at a high flying team who are deservedly (that took some saying as its Brighton 🙄) playing in Europe ...
These 2 users liked this post: Goddy Foshiznik

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:37 pm

We cannot moan at a point today, great result for us and we've finally shown that we have a backbone. Some are moaning that on another week Trafford won't save them all and while I appreciate that point, it's not the reality today. We needed to show that we can dig in and salvage something from games that swing against us and we did that.
This user liked this post: Goddy

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:43 pm

You missed out that Forest got an away point and Bournemouth got 3 at United and Everton best Newcastle
Very much the 3 relegated teams plus maybe Forest and Palace in the dog fight. No chance Bournemouth or Everton go down

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:52 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:43 pm
You missed out that Forest got an away point and Bournemouth got 3 at United and Everton best Newcastle
Very much the 3 relegated teams plus maybe Forest and Palace in the dog fight. No chance Bournemouth or Everton go down
I think I did mention Forest getting a point FCB but I was suggesting that was less unexpected.

I agree entirely about Everton and Bournemouth. I think the bottom 5 are more likely to be Sheff U, Luton, Palace, Forest and us. I think we can better 3 of those

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:04 pm

In perspective, 3 shots on target, 1 corner, Redmond as a striker 1 piece of brilliance by odobert. We need to win 10 games to be safe, this side is capable of that, but Roberts as a winger with Bruun-Larsen on the bench. WTF The constant hope Ramsey is going to contribute, not using obafemi. We are all but down, let's at least try to score some goals. I am sorry, but again we threw away winning position by going defensive.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:53 pm

brexit wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:04 pm
In perspective, 3 shots on target, 1 corner, Redmond as a striker 1 piece of brilliance by odobert. We need to win 10 games to be safe, this side is capable of that, but Roberts as a winger with Bruun-Larsen on the bench. WTF The constant hope Ramsey is going to contribute, not using obafemi. We are all but down, let's at least try to score some goals. I am sorry, but again we threw away winning position by going defensive.
Yep, we should have started with Obafemi and Foster.
This user liked this post: Leisure

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:57 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:34 pm
I would for certain ... Frustrating we couldn't get it over the line but like the OP said we were away at a high flying team who are deservedly (that took some saying as its Brighton 🙄) playing in Europe ...
And an incredibly wealthy owner whose pumped half a billion into the club.

Something that ALWAYS gets conveniently ignored.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Wo Didi Goddy

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 278 times
Has Liked: 3308 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:20 pm

Goddy wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:33 pm
Yep, EC, I meant to mention that, too....how many (even those with the most claret-tinted glasses) would have thought we'd get a point at Brighton????!
Living down this way and having to endure the Brighton fans I thought we would get a point or 3.. they can't finish teams off which for us today was a good thing

brexit

Post by brexit » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:53 pm
Yep, we should have started with Obafemi and Foster.
Just so you know, Foster is unlikely to play for us this season

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:48 pm

brexit wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:44 pm
Not what the manager says....

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:56 pm

brexit wrote:
Something else you definitely heard in hospitality?

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:21 pm

brexit wrote:

Whoooosh :D

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:41 pm

yes it was a good point but my worry is just like wolves in the second half we just weren't in it and if it wasn't for our goalkeeper we would have been beaten...
This user liked this post: k90bfc

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:49 pm

brexit wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:04 pm
You think we just went defensive? This isn’t Fifa, we were forced to defend and defend we did. Roberts was brought out at right midfield to secure the point by helping with the dangerous Mitoma.

Why do you keep mentioning Obafemi? and slagging VK off for not using him?

Repeat after me:

OBAFEMI
IS
INJURED

Say it out loud 5x and the marshmallow inbetween your ears might receive it.
These 5 users liked this post: Holtyclaret longsidepies Bigvince boatshed bill Foshiznik

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:28 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:41 pm
yes it was a good point but my worry is just like wolves in the second half we just weren't in it and if it wasn't for our goalkeeper we would have been beaten...
But we weren't. Our goalkeeper's job is to stop goals going in, which is what he did (except for 1)!

wbfc
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by wbfc » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:35 pm

It was a good point nothing else to be said ...some points are earned backs against the wall ....

If you cannot be reasonably content tonight then go see samaritans

I think we will finish bottom but 2 young players Odobert and Trafford have made progress today ...

If we can play the season out like we have the last 5 games we will 3 or 4 games and draw 3 or 4 more

I am not sure what more can be expected with the team and management we have

As far as the manager is concerned I would give him until the first 15 games of next season....

I like the look of Koleosho and Odobert ...I would persevere with Trafford since Muric is hardly Gordon Banks...then Amdouni, Ramsey and Tressor was close to £50 million badly spent...

We bought no full backs or strikers ...oshea is wholehearted but not good enough and Beyer flattered to deceive last year in a team which did not have to do much defending ...Ekdal is too slow...I think Al Dakhil is a prospect but not whilst playing with the centre halfs we have now ...May be bring someone like Johnny Evans in to play with him or Michael Keane who we add before

Foster has showed signs another reason to be optimistic

I think Berge is okay only similar to JBL...

But enjoy tonight because there are going to be losing more than not ...I would celebrate the wins like there is no tomorrow and take draws whenever we can

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:01 am

Leisure wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:28 pm
But we weren't. Our goalkeeper's job is to stop goals going in, which is what he did (except for 1)!
yes our young gk did really well but the shape of the team in second half was all over we couldn't play out like we did in the first and to be honest a few lads looked leg weary but as i said a good point to build on in the end ...
This user liked this post: Leisure

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:10 am

Trafford is better with his hands than Muric. I dont see Muric making 10 saves yesterday.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:44 am

Notsosuperstevedavis wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:10 am
Trafford is better with his hands than Muric. I dont see Muric making 10 saves yesterday.
Which of those shots do you reckon he wouldn’t have saved?

There’s an argument that he wouldn’t have had to anyway because we’d have kept the ball better. We will probably never know though.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:55 am

Leisure wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:28 pm
I wonder what some of these posters would have said had they been watching the Heaton show at old Trafford, or the many games our goalies had 12 shots and more to save in games to get a point or more.....like you say it's their job, and yesterday was a job well done, no need for what ifs or maybes
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

TPClaret
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by TPClaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:18 am

If Brighton won yesterday they would’ve moved up to 5th. Putting that into perspective a very good point

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:44 am

There’s an argument that he wouldn’t have had to anyway because we’d have kept the ball better. We will probably never know though.
I’m pretty confident Muric would have conceded at least 4 yesterday

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:34 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:44 am

This is getting pretty desperate. Trafford's best game for us by some distance and you imply that Muric would've at least equalled it. On another day Trafford wouldn't have made all those saves and there's a good possibility Muric wouldn't have done. As you say, we'll never know so best not to try to find ways of undermining Trafford's performance yesterday.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:10 am

Why can we not like and be supportive of both Trafford and Muric?
These 2 users liked this post: Foshiznik Goddy

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:14 am

A mixture of plan A and plan B seems to be working…

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:43 pm

wbfc wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:35 pm
It was a good point nothing else to be said ...some points are earned backs against the wall ....

I think we will finish bottom but 2 young players Odobert and Trafford have made progress today ...

If we can play the season out like we have the last 5 games we will 3 or 4 games and draw 3 or 4 more

As far as the manager is concerned I would give him until the first 15 games of next season....

I like the look of Koleosho and Odobert ...I would persevere with Trafford since Muric is hardly Gordon Banks...then Amdouni, Ramsey and Tressor was close to £50 million badly spent...

We bought no full backs or strikers ...oshea is wholehearted but not good enough and Beyer flattered to deceive last year in a team which did not have to do much defending ...Ekdal is too slow...I think Al Dakhil is a prospect but not whilst playing with the centre halfs we have now ...May be bring someone like Johnny Evans in to play with him or Michael Keane who we add before

But enjoy tonight because there are going to be losing more than not ...I would celebrate the wins like there is no tomorrow and take draws whenever we can
A lot of common sense in that summary until you mentioned Johnny Evans ;)

Berge is our best central midfielder and JBL looks more productive out wide right (better than anyone else we have currently tried in that position)

Amdouni will offer more with a better No 9 (such a pity about Foster)

Between the current bottom 3 and Forest if they don't change their manager

You would always expect teams to get occasional "surprise" results but our only two wins (from 16 games) have been against Luton and Sheff Utd

If we are not getting wins against the likes of Palace, Bournemouth, Forest and Brentford then we are going to be looking up at most teams in the league table

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:10 pm

wbfc wrote:

Good post but let's also remember Beyer is only 23. We expect him to be a mature leader but he's still 4 years away from his peak. I also think Amdouni has a lot of potential, he just needs a better striker, like Foster, alongside him.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:15 pm

I didn’t see too much common sense in that post. Three players written off already, Beyer flattering to deceive despite obvious improvements, Ekdal too slow based on what and is that a pre-requisite for a CB? How is Berge similar to JBL?? I agree we’re probably going to drop, but there’s a long way to go yet.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:36 pm

TPClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:18 am
If Brighton won yesterday they would’ve moved up to 5th. Putting that into perspective a very good point
We matched Sheffield Utd’s result away at Brighton recently by getting a 1-1 draw.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:38 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Yep, me included.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2015 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:04 pm

Those saying no chance it’s xxxx clearly have not spotted that it is not rare for a club drop from mid table into the relegation scrap, while others rise phoenix like after a good Christmas.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:22 pm

One way of looking at yesterdays result is we have 4 points from three games. which would put us on 37 points.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:39 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:04 pm
Those saying no chance it’s xxxx clearly have not spotted that it is not rare for a club drop from mid table into the relegation scrap, while others rise phoenix like after a good Christmas.
In premier league history isn’t it something like only 4 teams that have been bottom of the league at Christmas survived. The next few games are crucial. If we are bottom the odds are that we very unlikely to survive

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2015 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:44 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:39 pm
In premier league history isn’t it something like only 4 teams that have been bottom of the league at Christmas survived. The next few games are crucial. If we are bottom the odds are that we very unlikely to survive
There is no argument the next few game are crucial… nothing is decided before Christmas, as you point out. But that is not the same argument.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:59 pm

Those involved in straw clutching like to point to Wolves who were bottom at Christmas last campaign but improved significantly to pull away from the bottom 3.
However, there were significant factors that led to that improvement in results. Firstly, Bruno Lage was replaced as manager by Lopetegui in late November 2022. Secondly, Wolves made some significant signings in January 2023 including Matheus Cunha, Mario Lemina, Pablo Sarabia and Joao Gomes.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:06 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:34 am
This is getting pretty desperate. Trafford's best game for us by some distance and you imply that Muric would've at least equalled it. On another day Trafford wouldn't have made all those saves and there's a good possibility Muric wouldn't have done. As you say, we'll never know so best not to try to find ways of undermining Trafford's performance yesterday.
Wouldn’t say that I just think people are losing perspective massively.

Did what he had to do in saving them and rightfully was given motm but I just don’t think any of them were like ridiculous saves!

More concerning to me that we gave up so many shots on reflection but at least we showed resilience.

Just find the narrative is a bit skewed - now it’s Muric couldn’t possibly make a save when he made plenty of big saves last season.

Just feel like the media hype on Trafford gets blown up because he’s the England U21 keeper.

Pope pulled games like that out every week and massively flew under the radar.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:10 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:22 pm
One way of looking at yesterdays result is we have 4 points from three games. which would put us on 37 points.
I doubt that any statistician in the Universe or even the metaverse would accept that as a valid observation.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm

Unfortubately weve put ourselves in a posutuon where a point at brighton isnt a particularly good results, especially after being in front. We should have seen the game out.
Im not sure we have the mental aptitude to see out big periods of pressure when we are ahead, especially away from home. Weve not really managed it once, we also caved away at luton but managed to get back in front with a few mins left to hold out. This is something having ekdal at centre back could help with.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:10 pm
I doubt that any statistician in the Universe or even the metaverse would accept that as a valid observation.
I waant saying we would get 37 points.

I said it was one way of looking at it, bit like a government minister saying UK has grown more than France since 2010, it might be true, but it won't be true if you picked a different date range.

However, as Raffa would say "it is a fact" we have 4 points from 3 games

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:24 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:36 pm
We matched Sheffield Utd’s result away at Brighton recently by getting a 1-1 draw.
...and I think Sheff U played against 10 men for a period of time so not really a helpful comparison

Goddy

Post by Goddy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:27 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:10 pm
Well, agreed, to some extent, but it's perhaps more of a reflection of how things are improving......

brexit

Post by brexit » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:57 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:56 pm
Something else you definitely heard in hospitality?
Unfortunately American express and the EU are not on the best of terms so I couldn't bag any freebies had to watch on in n bar in Brussels

chipbutty
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:13 am

wbfc wrote:

Ekdal is class.
End of

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:46 am

Perspective...hmm

Observations....

Great point. Hard earned. Deserved.
Against top opposition.

Things of concern:
1. It took a single player to create some magic for us to score.
2. None of our good moves in the first half looked like getting a goal.
3. Our magic moment in the 2nd half presented a very good chance, saved by the keeper's leg, from very close range.
4. Brighton had numerous chances which required exceptional saves on 2 or 3 occasions and safe keeping on other occasions.

Not sure what any of that proves, other than we are too slow up front, usually.