Abuse towards other posters

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Re: Abuse towards other posters

Post by Cooclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:21 pm

Posters mental health issues should be considered by everyone on the board including the Mods.

Bans without explanation, or engagement go along way to potentially furthering issues.

We should all look to be kind!
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie pureclaret

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:20 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm
I’m definitely guilty of debate but I do consider myself constructive these days.

With the constant negative posts from the same few negative posters it’s hard not to get suckered in.

I now see how annoying I must have been on here, so I can’t be too hypocritical and complain about it too much. Although I would say I did contribute more than just negativity others didn’t see It that way.
Majority of your posts I'd consider constructive, everyone should.be able to have an opinion but it seems a lot of here if it doesn't agree with heir argument say it's negative.
The thread I started earlier which you commented on wasn't to start a negative thread if anything it was to give optimism for next season and to see where we could be at but it's been removed because the same poster keeps commenting on every post I make just because we don't agree over Trafford.
After seeing a couple of possible lineups it got me more excited than I currently am about this season.

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:40 pm

Being a moderator on forums like this is no easy task , I am admin/mod on a 14K Facebook page where current affairs are regularly discussed. You have left and right wing views with extremes to either side, they never agree. Intelligent people will put their point across in a well constructed way which can make good reading when you get two equally matched people putting across their differing views . Others will respond with straw man responses , a few will resort to name calling with varying degrees of responses like even an idiot can see that ..... Or outright name calling such as you must have been at the back of the queue when they were giving brains out etc . Then the complete empty heads who can't debate start swearing and completely losing it or even worse PMing people with threats of violence and vandalism. (same sort of person who punches people to resolve everything)

However I must point out that some of the so called intelligent people, who class themselves as decent folk can't see past their own views and respond with derogatory remarks because in their mind their view is gospel. Classics on here for me are the chanting and songs , Burnley is wonderful, Jack walk songs, Clarets points, standing in the cricket field stand , etc some people lose it.

We are all different , age, backgrounds, values, political views , class, etc who happen to share their support for Burnley Football club. Match day is different for so many people. We need to learn and accept others are different . stand /sit somewhere suitable away from people that irritate you if it annoys you so much.
These 4 users liked this post: DCWat MeeActon1 evensteadiereddie bfcjg

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:41 pm

If we only posted ‘Been on the Turf today we won 1-0” there would be no reaction,obviously Tony’s post are often for information only so probably no reaction ,people often post after a defeat to get rid of their pent up anger rather than having a rant on the Turf ,most of the time fans reply either agreeing with the post or against ,unfortunately as most of us are crazy mad Burnley fans a constructive debate often becomes personal and a bit nasty I’m as bad as any on a Saturday night after a defeat and several glasses of Yellow Tail I will try and reign in my emotions and hope everyone will try and bite their lips and I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas ,The Clarets stop up and half the Scousers have a really disappointing Saturday night and the other half have a really depressing Boxing Day .

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:43 pm

turbo5 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:40 pm
Being a moderator on forums like this is no easy task , I am admin/mod on a 14K Facebook page where current affairs are regularly discussed. You have left and right wing views with extremes to either side, they never agree. Intelligent people will put their point across in a well constructed way which can make good reading when you get two equally matched people putting across their differing views . Others will respond with straw man responses , a few will resort to name calling with varying degrees of responses like even an idiot can see that ..... Or outright name calling such as you must have been at the back of the queue when they were giving brains out etc . Then the complete empty heads who can't debate start swearing and completely losing it or even worse PMing people with threats of violence and vandalism. (same sort of person who punches people to resolve everything)

However I must point out that some of the so called intelligent people, who class themselves as decent folk can't see past their own views and respond with derogatory remarks because in their mind their view is gospel. Classics on here for me are the chanting and songs , Burnley is wonderful, Jack walk songs, Clarets points, standing in the cricket field stand , etc some people lose it.

We are all different , age, backgrounds, values, political views , class, etc who happen to share their support for Burnley Football club. Match day is different for so many people. We need to learn and accept others are different . stand /sit somewhere suitable away from people that irritate you if it annoys you so much.
I was just trying to say similar about 1/2 hour ago but it took me that long you’d already posted.
This user liked this post: turbo5

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:51 pm

turbo5 wrote:

No doubt that it’s a difficult job. But, it is fair to offer clarity around how individuals have been perceived to have stepped over a line in to a ban.

Or how else can you learn, and move forward?

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:55 pm

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 pm

Until some posters start reading the posts and not the poster then nothing will change on here.

Being preconceived and prejudged is rife on here.
These 7 users liked this post: bumba AGENT_CLARET Cooclaret Croydon Claret evensteadiereddie Buxtonclaret Anonymous Claret

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:31 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 pm
Until some posters start reading the posts and not the poster then nothing will change on here.

Being preconceived and prejudged is rife on here.
It’s a culture that’s been set

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 am

The abuse may stop for a while, but it will return, it always has done following previous warnings.

In the meantime some posters find ways of trying to humiliate others in different ways, for example like the poster who edits other people's posts to make it look like they've said something they haven't, it's then reposted and he/she makes a comment on the new edited post to make the original poster look daft. Although it's been reported there doesn't seem to be any action taken, so as they say, don't believe everything you read.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:01 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 am
for example like the poster who edits other people's posts to make it look like they've said something they haven't,
I do this not to paint a narrative, but more make it more readable for the fellow posters - there's nothing worse than multiple people quoting a large post it really clutters the messageboard.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:05 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:01 am
I do this not to paint a narrative, but more make it more readable for the fellow posters - there's nothing worse than multiple people quoting a large post it really clutters the messageboard.
Iam talking about actually editing the post to make it say something different, not just shortening the post

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:49 am

bumba wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:20 pm
Majority of your posts I'd consider constructive, everyone should.be able to have an opinion but it seems a lot of here if it doesn't agree with heir argument say it's negative.
The thread I started earlier which you commented on wasn't to start a negative thread if anything it was to give optimism for next season and to see where we could be at but it's been removed because the same poster keeps commenting on every post I make just because we don't agree over Trafford.
After seeing a couple of possible lineups it got me more excited than I currently am about this season.
There’s a serious problem on here with stalkers, I had it for years, the same posters would follow me around this place holding a grudge because we disagreed over football once. They’d go out of their way to drag me into tit for tat arguments over anything but football.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret bumba

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:23 pm

As I hinted at above, there is nothing wrong with challenging a poster's view particularly if that view is being presented as a fact.
I think it's fair to put forward a different viewpoint, as opinion of course, and also to point out if a poster is factually incorrect - the misuse of a word, for example - without being regarded as a thread wrecker or, indeed, a stalker.
If someone is offended by being challenged or proved wrong, then they shouldn't really be posting in such an unequivocal style.
These 2 users liked this post: ŽižkovClaret Foshiznik

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Some people knowingly post utter claptrap. Is it so surprising that a reaction follows?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:49 am
There’s a serious problem on here with stalkers, I had it for years, the same posters would follow me around this place holding a grudge because we disagreed over football once. They’d go out of their way to drag me into tit for tat arguments over anything but football.
Is it really stalking? Replying to people on a messageboard?

If they don't like people replying to them, either don't post, or certainly don't post "Trafford is the worst goalkeeper burnley has ever had" or "we only played well twice last season" and not expect a response, surely that's why they've posted outlandish views is to get a response? So as long as there's no abuse aimed at them they have to accept a backlash.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:51 pm

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:25 pm
Some people knowingly post utter claptrap. Is it so surprising that a reaction follows?
They'd probably stop if they didn't get a reaction.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:09 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:51 pm
They'd probably stop if they didn't get a reaction.
This is a good point and something i need to remember tbh

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:20 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 pm

If they don't like people replying to them, either don't post, or certainly don't post "Trafford is the worst goalkeeper burnley has ever had" or "we only played well twice last season" and not expect a response, surely that's why they've posted outlandish views is to get a response? So as long as there's no abuse aimed at them they have to accept a backlash.
Who said we only played well twice last season?
You wasn't just giving debate you was constantly picking up on anything I wrote such as the last thread that got removed because of you and turning them in to tit for tat. If you don't like the subject don't comment don't just go at people because they don't agree with you.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:30 pm

Nori1958 wrote:

But labeling peoples views as "outlandish" and similar comments that over egg the nature of what people say are where a lot of the issues start. You can see the response from Bumba above and things will go downhill from here.

I'm not saying this to be horrible but a lot of your posts Nori are like this, saying people need to go back to the asylum etc. A recent post of yours says you wish you could double like a post that calls someone a dick. That hardly sticks with what you've said above in terms of "as long as there is no abuse".

I'm guilty of it myself but we all need to look at ourselves instead of looking to push blame elsewhere.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:16 pm

bumba wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:20 pm
Who said we only played well twice last season?
You wasn't just giving debate you was constantly picking up on anything I wrote such as the last thread that got removed because of you and turning them in to tit for tat. If you don't like the subject don't comment don't just go at people because they don't agree with you.
Just to get things right... The thread you refer to getting pulled was nothing to do with me... It was another poster being far more abusive to you than I would ever be. Let's leave it at that to stop this thread getting into the tit for tat that annoys others.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:31 pm

I feel inconsistency plays a huge part in setting the tone. I feel there are a few ‘protected’ posters that don’t get challenged and therefore are emboldened to post and belittle others.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Can you actually complain about people jumping all over your posts when you are a self confessed troll?

I’m not so sure.

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:16 pm
Just to get things right... The thread you refer to getting pulled was nothing to do with me... It was another poster being far more abusive to you than I would ever be. Let's leave it at that to stop this thread getting into the tit for tat that annoys others.
I reported your post and it came up saying it had already been reported and then the thread disappeared there wasn't anymore abusive posts.
It's just you everytime.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:39 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:26 pm
I’m definitely guilty of debate but I do consider myself constructive these days.

With the constant negative posts from the same few negative posters it’s hard not to get suckered in.

I now see how annoying I must have been on here, so I can’t be too hypocritical and complain about it too much. Although I would say I did contribute more than just negativity others didn’t see It that way.
you've improved massively mate in terms of holding your tongue, credit to you. It used to be all out war :D
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 pm

bumba wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm
I reported your post and it came up saying it had already been reported and then the thread disappeared there wasn't anymore abusive posts.
It's just you everytime.
Nope.... Another poster went way over the top. Perhaps you didn't see it

All I said it was a ridiculous thread ( about next seasons team in the championship) and no surprise it was posted by yourself... No rude words....no abuse whatsoever..... Are you sure you haven't mixed me up with someone else?

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:55 pm

Nori1958 wrote:

There’s a huge difference between disagreeing with an opinion on a subject and responding compared to following that poster around the place to dig at him to engage in tit for tat.

I read each opinion and the poster of that opinion does not alter my response. There’s a few on here who don’t read posts they just look at usernames and go on the attack.

Everybody knows who those posters are, yet they still remain here untouched and allowed to stalk and attack, how many times is Jakub targeted by the same posters on different topics? It doesn’t even matter what Jakubs opinion is on the topic.
These 3 users liked this post: Jamesy Croydon Claret MeeActon1

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:07 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:55 pm
There’s a huge difference between disagreeing with an opinion on a subject and responding compared to following that poster around the place to dig at him to engage in tit for tat.

I read each opinion and the poster of that opinion does not alter my response. There’s a few on here who don’t read posts they just look at usernames and go on the attack.

Everybody knows who those posters are, yet they still remain here untouched and allowed to stalk and attack, how many times is Jakub targeted by the same posters on different topics? It doesn’t even matter what Jakubs opinion is on the topic.
I would agree with you on this pal. And I know that in the past the said posters were quick to jump on posts of yours with the intention of provoking an argument and ultimately abuse you.
To your credit I think you stood up to them pretty well.
This user liked this post: KRBFC

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:20 pm

turbo5 wrote:

Interesting post. Got me wondering what qualifications are required for your job ?

JBR
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by JBR » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:23 pm

I’ve only just joined but I’ve noticed that abusive posts last for days on here especially last weekend. Often posters appear and just insult other posters randomly.

I’d be happy to help edit the site if the owner doesn’t have the time.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:28 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:55 pm

I think a little bit of realism is needed here
A poster says I follow him around and it's taken as fact
I would guess I've replied to no more than 20 of his posts, but he's made over 2500 posts....so is that really following him around, and if he starts a thread it's a bit difficult to miss

I agree with your point about jakubs posts

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:34 pm

bumba wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm
It's just you everytime.
I reported him for his abuse towards you. There was no need for it.
This user liked this post: bumba

bumba

Post by bumba » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:46 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 pm

All I said it was a ridiculous thread ( about next seasons team in the championship) and no surprise it was posted by yourself... No rude words....no abuse whatsoever..... Are you sure you haven't mixed me up with someone else?
No it's always you commenting yes it may have only been 20 posts as you say but it's only just started since the Trafford debates started because you took a dislike to me not saying he was the greatest goalkeeper in Burnleys history.
There was no need for what you posted you could have simply ignored the thread

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:47 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:34 pm
I reported him for his abuse towards you. There was no need for it.
For saying what? Iam genuinely interested in what you thought was abusive, because the post I saw was from someone else, who admitted they knew they'd get banned for what they said
That wasn't me, and I did not use any abusive words

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:07 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 pm

I got a months ban, without explanation, even after it was politely asked for.

I had just opened a thread about Kompany going (something I still believe should happen).

Really affected my mental health, made this clear to mods, JDRobbo was kind and replied, but couldn’t get an answer for reason of ban.

This board is fantastic at supporting each other, but I felt really let down.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:35 pm

This Thread was started as good advice to all of us, it's evolving into one where posters can't help but make their own case.
Come on, can't we just take the advice and leave it at that?
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony evensteadiereddie

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:16 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:20 pm
Interesting post. Got me wondering what qualifications are required for your job ?
None you just try and be neutral, even if you agree with either side. obviously there is personal judgement involved. You will never be universally popular one side will see the mods are backing X or Y . My only tip is don't take it personally . On Facebook you are posting under your name not behind a forum nickname . which also helps because people aren't just as brave with your real name on display

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:23 pm

Seriously, why do you persist in removing my posts Tony, which are not offensive, and ask only for clarity? you’ve now not replied to me or others on my behalf in many months.

Where is the fairness and honesty? Where’s the caring nature of your role and the boards role in supporting each other…?

It seems support is only for those who are ‘approved’

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:26 pm

a moribund thread.

nothing is heard.
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:23 pm
Seriously, why do you persist in removing my posts Tony, which are not offensive, and ask only for clarity? you’ve now not replied to me or others on my behalf in many months.

Where is the fairness and honesty? Where’s the caring nature of your role and the boards role in supporting each other…?

It seems support is only for those who are ‘approved’
Aw Bless.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:33 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:30 pm
Aw Bless.
I think he might cry