What a horse race

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 1076 times

What a horse race

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:17 am

This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Re: What a horse race

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:50 am

As a huge horse racing fan, and racehorse owner, I think that it's horrendous. I believe there were long penalties dished out for the behaviour on show in that Point To Point (amateur) race. Those horses are very very tired, and should have been pulled up, not constantly asked to go and try to do something again.
These 4 users liked this post: AfloatinClaret LeadBelly DCWat Healeywoodclaret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 am

I don't get it. Tired horses won't make a jump…

I've never really ‘got’ horse racing, though. I think because whenever I've met anyone really into it, they have some underlying issue like gambling, alcoholism or chain smoking. It is like it comes with the territory of the ‘sport’ or something.

It makes me think of older men in the pub smoking pipes and muttering stuff no one understands. Though that's my experience decades ago, it might be for a younger audience now with all the fancy apps.

Twenty-odd years ago, I used to do an afternoon shift in a pub, and locals wanted that fake horse racing on, it was like bad CGI but with commentary and everything. Not sure if that's a thing anymore - Virtual Horse Racing

Don’t get me started on the Grand National. Looks to me that it’s just a day for chavs and slappers to play dress up. It might be a good day out, but I’ve never seen the appeal and the ‘ahh **** um’ attitude when a horse dies. I'm no animal cruelty activist or anything, but it just seems a waste to me.

Similarly, greyhound racing. I have been twice on stag dos, and both times, it was a flaky experience—lots of unsavoury types. I was like Louis Theroux, just observing this strange world of groups of boisterous men standing around sticky tables and dogs euthanised every hour or so. One time, I saw a fella thump his girlfriend at the end of the night because she was running her mouth off.

I find it weird. Though there are other sports I don't get either... Boxing is another.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:06 pm

I get that it's your perception, and I don't doubt some of it. Couple of things I'd strongly disagree with though... 1) There's no "Ah **** um" attitude on the rare occasion when a horse sadly dies - there's genuine sadness at each horses loss. 499 out of every 500 runners returns home safe and sound after a race, to a life of luxury that includes the best food, excellent shelter, daily exercise, swimming facilities, sun lamps and steam rooms, vets, dentists physios and blacksmiths on hand to treat any ailments immediately - i've taken people to the stables where we have our horses, and they've been amazed at the level of care that they receive.

2) There'd be no greyhound racing if the rate of injury / death was anywhere near what you've mentioned above.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat AfloatinClaret LeadBelly Healeywoodclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:06 pm
I get that it's your perception, and I don't doubt some of it. Couple of things I'd strongly disagree with though... 1) There's no "Ah **** um" attitude on the rare occasion when a horse sadly dies - there's genuine sadness at each horses loss. 499 out of every 500 runners returns home safe and sound after a race, to a life of luxury that includes the best food, excellent shelter, daily exercise, swimming facilities, sun lamps and steam rooms, vets, dentists physios and blacksmiths on hand to treat any ailments immediately - i've taken people to the stables where we have our horses, and they've been amazed at the level of care that they receive.

2) There'd be no greyhound racing if the rate of injury / death was anywhere near what you've mentioned above.
We visited the Irish National Stud on our Irish trip in October Dan ... very impressive 👍🙂👍
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:18 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm
We visited the Irish National Stud on our Irish trip in October Dan ... very impressive 👍🙂👍
Yep - it's a great setup. You might have seen my pictures up on the signs around the paddocks. They do an amazing job from a business, education and post race aftercare perspective. One of my favourite places to visit, especially February / March, when all the foals are there and in playful moods.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Those involved should have been banned permanently following this. A really poor advert for the sport.
These 2 users liked this post: dandeclaret AfloatinClaret

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:23 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm
Those involved should have been banned permanently following this. A really poor advert for the sport.
I think there were very long bans dished out... I think it's a race from a couple of years ago, and I think reminders were sent to all Point to Point committees to remind them of standards.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:40 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:18 pm
Yep - it's a great setup. You might have seen my pictures up on the signs around the paddocks. They do an amazing job from a business, education and post race aftercare perspective. One of my favourite places to visit, especially February / March, when all the foals are there and in playful moods.
👍 didn't realise they were your pictures 👍

But we were impressed with the whole set up and were told the best time is Feb/March when the foals are there 🙂

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Thought this was about Coyle at first but realised i'd misread the title

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:49 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm
It's not really a sport though is it?
If you weren't allowed to bet on it, it would not exist.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Thank goodness the betting and gaming industry haven’t got their claws into football, before you know they’d have their logos on player’s shirts and be renaming stadiums :o
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:11 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:57 pm
Thank goodness the betting and gaming industry haven’t got their claws into football, before you know they’d have their logos on player’s shirts and be renaming stadiums :o
Don't understand your point. I'm not talking about sponsorship. If betting was made illegal, football, cricket, rugby, snooker, darts etc etc would still exist as sports. Horse racing would not.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:16 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:10 am
I don't get it. Tired horses won't make a jump…

I've never really ‘got’ horse racing, though. I think because whenever I've met anyone really into it, they have some underlying issue like gambling, alcoholism or chain smoking. It is like it comes with the territory of the ‘sport’ or something.

It makes me think of older men in the pub smoking pipes and muttering stuff no one understands. Though that's my experience decades ago, it might be for a younger audience now with all the fancy apps.

Twenty-odd years ago, I used to do an afternoon shift in a pub, and locals wanted that fake horse racing on, it was like bad CGI but with commentary and everything. Not sure if that's a thing anymore - Virtual Horse Racing

Don’t get me started on the Grand National. Looks to me that it’s just a day for chavs and slappers to play dress up. It might be a good day out, but I’ve never seen the appeal and the ‘ahh **** um’ attitude when a horse dies. I'm no animal cruelty activist or anything, but it just seems a waste to me.

Similarly, greyhound racing. I have been twice on stag dos, and both times, it was a flaky experience—lots of unsavoury types. I was like Louis Theroux, just observing this strange world of groups of boisterous men standing around sticky tables and dogs euthanised every hour or so. One time, I saw a fella thump his girlfriend at the end of the night because she was running her mouth off.

I find it weird. Though there are other sports I don't get either... Boxing is another.
I wasn't into horse racing until about 20 years ago (early 50s for me) when I went along to a couple of meetings with some co-workers at a new job. I've gone to more and more racing through the subsequent years. The people I go with are well-rounded people all with good jobs and very respectable family lives. Some of them now own(/part own) race horses and all very much admire/respect the beautiful creatures that horses are.

You do get the odd groups within the attendees who drink too much and get a bit "lairy" but that's not the norm (although the tabloid press photographers jump through hoops to get a few snaps of such people). Is football better?

Ive only ever seen a handful of horses fatally injured (and a couple of those were electrocuted in the parade ring at Newbury because of an electrical fault). I've never seen/heard anybody not completely saddened by a horse fatality.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:24 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:49 pm
Point to point racing existed pre "Organised betting". Racing does well in Dubai and Bahrain where betting is not allowed. There are limitations on betting in France where it's also huge.

It wouldn't appeal to the masses, as it's Britain's 2nd most attended sport, but it would still exist. I don't bet too much when my horses run, and would still have racehorses if there was no betting (as long as prizemoney existed).

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:21 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:11 pm
Don't understand your point. I'm not talking about sponsorship. If betting was made illegal, football, cricket, rugby, snooker, darts etc etc would still exist as sports. Horse racing would not.
I very much doubt if darts would be able to continue in it’s current form as all of the major European tours and televised events are heavily sponsored by the betting and gaming industry. Not only are they sponsoring these events but they are the MAIN sponsors by some way.

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:01 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:24 pm
Point to point racing existed pre "Organised betting". Racing does well in Dubai and Bahrain where betting is not allowed. There are limitations on betting in France where it's also huge.

It wouldn't appeal to the masses, as it's Britain's 2nd most attended sport, but it would still exist. I don't bet too much when my horses run, and would still have racehorses if there was no betting (as long as prizemoney existed).
There's no way of proving my point, or you yours.
Gambling will always be there and if it's made illegal it will still always be there.
Lord knows how much is gambled in Dubai and Bahrain on horse racing unofficially.

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:05 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:21 pm
I very much doubt if darts would be able to continue in it’s current form as all of the major European tours and televised events are heavily sponsored by the betting and gaming industry. Not only are they sponsoring these events but they are the MAIN sponsors by some way.
Well you're probably correct at the top of the sport but there will always be people playing competitively for the love of the game, even if it's back how it started in the local pubs. Same with all the other sports I mentioned.
I just don't think you could say the same about horse racing.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:29 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:05 pm
Well you're probably correct at the top of the sport but there will always be people playing competitively for the love of the game, even if it's back how it started in the local pubs. Same with all the other sports I mentioned.
Horse racing as a professional sport in the UK can be traced back to the 12th century when knights returned from the Crusades with some Arab horses. From those Arab horses. we established the classic thoroughbred.
Not a bookie nor a footballer in sight.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:05 pm
The race shown above is from a point to point… an amateur sport where there is very little betting done at all. It’s the exact thing you’re saying wouldn’t happen.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:51 pm

I hate seeing stuff like this - glad to read that there were penalties dished out (hopefully very harsh penalties at that).

Seeing horses treated this way will do little to change some people’s perception of it being a cruel sport.

I’m sure that as Dan says, most are treated fantastically, but if jockey’s and owners at this level (is point to point amateur?) see fit to treat their animals in this way, I do question whether that good treatment filters down to the lower levels.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:57 pm

Point to point is amateur…. I’ve never seen anything like the above race either on professional or amateur racing, and that’s in over 30 years of watching racing.
This user liked this post: DCWat

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:19 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:38 pm
The race shown above is from a point to point… an amateur sport where there is very little betting done at all. It’s the exact thing you’re saying wouldn’t happen.
Fair enough but it also kind of confirms what I was originally trying to say.
If there was no way to gamble on football, golf, snooker, tennis etc, the attendances would still be the same and the big events would still be televised and watched by millions.
What I've just watched on that clip is a snapshot of what horse racing would probably become other than a few high profile events and would no longer be enjoyed by the masses.
If anyone enjoys racing for the love of it, then fair play to you.
Neither gambling or racing are passions of mine and I didn't much fancy a debate on the subject.
Was just meant to be a one comment and out kinda deal :D

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:27 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:19 pm
Fair enough but it also kind of confirms what I was originally trying to say.
If there was no way to gamble on football, golf, snooker, tennis etc, the attendances would still be the same and the big events would still be televised and watched by millions.
What I've just watched on that clip is a snapshot of what horse racing would probably become other than a few high profile events and would no longer be enjoyed by the masses.
If anyone enjoys racing for the love of it, then fair play to you.
Neither gambling or racing are passions of mine and I didn't much fancy a debate on the subject.
Was just meant to be a one comment and out kinda deal :D
How does it confirm that?

There's amateur football/snooker/darts/golf going on all the time but there's not crowds of people showing up to watch them :lol:

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:34 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:29 pm
Horse racing as a professional sport in the UK can be traced back to the 12th century when knights returned from the Crusades with some Arab horses. From those Arab horses. we established the classic thoroughbred.
Not a bookie nor a footballer in sight.
Are you sure there wasn’t a bookie in sight?

Neil

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:43 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:27 pm
How does it confirm that?

There's amateur football/snooker/darts/golf going on all the time but there's not crowds of people showing up to watch them :lol:
I'll try it one last time.

My opinion is that if you removed betting from sport, the attendances of Chelsea v Arsenal or Coventry v Birmingham or Bolton v Derby or Notts County v Swindon would be exactly the same as they are now.
Likewise Wimbledon, The British Open, The Olympics or Fury v Joshua.

It's also my opinion that the Grand National, Cheltenham, The Derby etc may hold some small interest but you would not have thousands of people wanting to attend if they could not place a bet on the outcome of the races.
And daily meetings at York, Chepstow and Doncaster would probably cease to exist due to the lack of interest.

The video shown in this thread (which I very briefly glanced at) showed about 15 people in attendance.

So what I meant by it confirms what I was saying, is that I believe that this is what horse racing would become without gambling.

Hope that makes sense whether you agree with me or not but I'm out now.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:50 pm

Neil wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:43 pm
I'll try it one last time.

My opinion is that if you removed betting from sport, the attendances of Chelsea v Arsenal or Coventry v Birmingham or Bolton v Derby or Notts County v Swindon would be exactly the same as they are now.
Likewise Wimbledon, The British Open, The Olympics or Fury v Joshua.

It's also my opinion that the Grand National, Cheltenham, The Derby etc may hold some small interest but you would not have thousands of people wanting to attend if they could not place a bet on the outcome of the races.
And daily meetings at York, Chepstow and Doncaster would probably cease to exist due to the lack of interest.

The video shown in this thread (which I very briefly glanced at) showed about 15 people in attendance.

So what I meant by it confirms what I was saying, is that I believe that this is what horse racing would become without gambling.

Hope that makes sense whether you agree with me or not but I'm out now.
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with you, it's about trying to understand how you think this video supports that opinion.

The video from this thread is from an amateur level, that's been explained. So having very few people there is to be expected, and is exactly the same in pretty much any sport. If you disagree then go to your local pitch on a Saturday and see how many people turn up.

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 am

boyyanno wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:50 pm
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with you, it's about trying to understand how you think this video supports that opinion.

The video from this thread is from an amateur level, that's been explained. So having very few people there is to be expected, and is exactly the same in pretty much any sport. If you disagree then go to your local pitch on a Saturday and see how many people turn up.
Ok I'll have one more crack at it even though it's already in pretty simple terms in my last post.

FA Cup Final - full house
FA cup Final without gambling - full house

Local park football - 30 people
Local park football without gambling - 30 people

Grand National - full house
Grand National without gambling - the video on this thread.

So l what I'm saying is football would not turn into an amateur sport without gambling but horse racing would.

Disclaimer - yes there would be more than 15 people at the Grand National without the betting but I'm trying to keep it simple.

That's definitely all from me on this.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 am

Neil wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:23 am
Ok I'll have one more crack at it even though it's already in pretty simple terms in my last post.

FA Cup Final - full house
FA cup Final without gambling - full house

Local park football - 30 people
Local park football without gambling - 30 people

Grand National - full house
Grand National without gambling - the video on this thread.

So l what I'm saying is football would not turn into an amateur sport without gambling but horse racing would.

Disclaimer - yes there would be more than 15 people at the Grand National without the betting but I'm trying to keep it simple.

That's definitely all from me on this.
I already understand your point. I disagree with it which I'm assuming is okay with you?

I'm just pointing out that the video does not back up your argument at all, I just wondered why you thought it did so, but it doesn't matter as you can't provide any sort of explanation as to why it does.

For the record this site is about debate and engagement. If you want to drop comments on posts and run off that's okay but it's not what most people are here for.

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:46 am

boyyanno wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:41 am
I already understand your point. I disagree with it which I'm assuming is okay with you?

I'm just pointing out that the video does not back up your argument at all, I just wondered why you thought it did so, but it doesn't matter as you can't provide any sort of explanation as to why it does.

For the record this site is about debate and engagement. If you want to drop comments on posts and run off that's okay but it's not what most people are here for.
The video shows an amateur horse racing event.
I meant it kind of shows what a professional event would look like if betting was removed.

It's quite straightforward.

Of course it's ok for you to disagree, but I'm saying the same thing over and over in different ways.

It's ok to make a single point and move on and not debate and engage too.

There's only me and you interested in the thread after the initial few posts so I don't think it's worth thrashing out any further.

I'm sorry you don't understand my explanation and maybe it's my fault with the wording.

Have a good one.

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:46 am

Wow it starts with a bit of fun, then it all ends up like this again ffs

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 am

Can you explain what makes the video you posted funny?

Neil

Post by Neil » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 am

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:46 am
Wow it starts with a bit of fun, then it all ends up like this again ffs
I tried to withdraw many times :D

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:56 am

He’s not wrong though. I’d guess 95% of people who go to the races are there to gamble and/or get absolutely wasted.

Every time I’ve been dragged to a horse racing day it’s been chav-central.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:16 pm

Guess.... being the key word. I probably go racing somewhere in the region of 50-60 days a year.

Occasional bet, occasional drink..... rarely to heavily gamble, never to get totally wasted..... and the same applies for the hundreds / thousands of people that I meet and interact with at those meetings.

No chavs either...... guess it depends where you go, and what you do though eh?
This user liked this post: ŽižkovClaret

AGENT_CLARET

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:33 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 am
Can you explain what makes the video you posted funny?
Can you explain why it needs explaining 🤔

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:31 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:16 pm
Guess.... being the key word. I probably go racing somewhere in the region of 50-60 days a year.

Occasional bet, occasional drink..... rarely to heavily gamble, never to get totally wasted..... and the same applies for the hundreds / thousands of people that I meet and interact with at those meetings.

No chavs either...... guess it depends where you go, and what you do though eh?
100 % totally agree.

A Saturday afternoon race meeting at Haydock Park in August is a world away from a winter mid week meeting at Uttoxeter or Wetherby.
I would even hazard a guess that the majority of people at a race meeting don't even have a bet in the true sense of the word.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Yep - totally. It's even miles away from the Hennessy meeting at Newbury, despite the crowds for both being pretty big.

Once Punchestown is over, I am off racing until Chepstow in October, except for the odd Irish summer jumps meeting at the likes of Kilbeggan, Killarney or Sligo.