Burnley v Everton - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Re: Burnley v Everton - Player Ratings

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:43 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:16 am
Sure a few will leave, thats expected, but in my opinion we will retain a large main core and won’t be under as much pressure to sell as last time. But I will note that’s dependant on who is manager. Most of these players are only at Burnley because of Kompany.
Might be more pressure financially, we did spend a ton in the last window. Depends on the investors still being on board
Last edited by Wokingclaret on Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 2920 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:43 am

MDWat wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:19 am
This side would do more than fine next season. For starters, Roberts is fine at right back in the Champ and we’re clearly prioritising signing a left back. Beyer is proven in the Championship and I don’t think anyone had any issues with Ekdal. Midfield trio are all proven in the Championship and we’ve numerous wingers that are too.

There is a significant different in quality between the Prem and the Champ. Our players are young with potential and will get better.

I think we’d be in quite a unique position of most players staying and that can only be a positive.

Lots of hyperbole on this thread from the usual suspects.
Agree about the hyperbole, but I imagine a few of our players with potential will have relegation release clauses. I doubt Amdouni, Tresor and possibly a few others will want to play in the Championship.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:44 am

Trafford 4
Vitinho 4
O’Shea 5
Beyer 5
Delcroix 5
JBL 5
Brownhill 4
Berge 5
Odobert 5
Amdouni 5
Jay 4

A weak, dreary, nothing performance - again. Really struggling to identify with this team, majority of whom have no credit in the bank from last year’s record-breaking season as they weren’t there. Unless we get something at Fulham we are going to be on a pitiful 8 points at the half way stage. That just doesn’t happen where teams have got 100 points in the Championship. The approach on and off the pitch has been seriously naive.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 am

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:43 am
Might be more pressure financially, we did spend a ton in the last window. Depends on the investors still being on board
No one knows what was spent, what % of that inc clauses for staying up, or what our actual net revenues / cash flows look like this season. There’s a fair chance the spend falls within (or close to) what our PL budget allowed for and we only need to raise 20-30m or so as a safety net.

Last time we had a loan required to be repaid (35m) and Garlick/John B to pay off. We don’t know what the former’s situation is at present but the latter have now been fully paid.

CJA
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by CJA » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:59 am

Trafford 4 Absolutely top shot stopper unfortunately he is not a yet a top goalkeeper , he is weak and lacks physical presence, positioning and distribution is not PL he and the goalkeeping coaches are just not learning, no progress is being achieved as the same mistakes are occurring each week.
Vithino 4 Not a bad championship full back or winger just not PL give him credit for at least trying
O'Shea 3 not any where near good enough
Beyer 5 Tried hard under constant pressure but recycled ball too slowly so by time ball gets to the forwards Everton have 11 behind the ball
Delacroix 4 Can't see a PL player in him looked lost, many on here have criticised Taylor but he is streets ahead of this guy
Brownhill4 AWOL
Brunn Larsen. 5 I really think there is player in there somewhere but he looked overwhelmed today by the strength and organisation of the Everton Midfield and he was often isolated with little support or options.
Berge 4 A great player when things are going well, not so much like today when a shift is required
Oderbert 5 Looked lively early on but final product was lacking and faded. Still very young and will hopefully improve.
Amdouni 3 I just don't get it with him, he is just not a PL player, he should have been hooked at half time as at least Jay Rod was trying to track back and help out, Amdouni was strolling round the golf course
Jay Rod 5 Some very harsh comments on here about Jay Rod, he had NO service and the only time he got a touch was when he tracked into midfield to pick it up himself, one really good turn in first half and shot blocked by Tarks was about his only chance.

Foster 5 Good to see him back possibly the only real PL quality player we have.

VK 1 No idea at this level, Dyche who is no master tactician had him on a plate. Anyone who did not realise at 2=0 he would do a Dyche has not seen Dyche operate before.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:05 am

Well I just read every single rating and can only reach 1 conclusion. The problem is the Manager. This is his team playing his way under his coaching staff. Last season he was magnificent. This season he has been weak and hopeless.Pace and his cohorts have to decide very soon. Do they keep Kompany and prepare for The Championship or worse or do they admit they got it wrong and fire the Manager and replace him with a more experienced PL manager such as Graham Potter in the hope we can somehow stay in the PL. I am not advocating firing VK. I am saying now is the time to make the decisions. Another month will take away their options.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:08 am

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:05 am
Well I just read every single rating and can only reach 1 conclusion. The problem is the Manager. This is his team playing his way under his coaching staff. Last season he was magnificent. This season he has been weak and hopeless.Pace and his cohorts have to decide very soon. Do they keep Kompany and prepare for The Championship or worse or do they admit they got it wrong and fire the Manager and replace him with a more experienced PL manager such as Graham Potter in the hope we can somehow stay in the PL. I am not advocating firing VK. I am saying now is the time to make the decisions. Another month will take away their options.
They may have already decided that they will keep Kompany in the event we are relegated.

Potter is being linked with United by the way.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:18 am

Like I said I think Beyer is living on last seasons plaudits

People very quick to single out O’Shea and Delcroix (who’s barely played)

What’s Beyer doing here for Keane’s goal? First phase in that from an Everton free kick from deep.

Then Berge doesn’t sniff the danger and follow the runner.

Admittedly Delcroix doesn’t win his header but that goal comes from the poor positioning of our LCB Beyer.
Attachments
E361279F-DFAF-4557-AC96-A9F08E9CBF50.jpeg
E361279F-DFAF-4557-AC96-A9F08E9CBF50.jpeg (123.27 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
1B5430FB-A6B8-42A8-9E97-C696489A40B3.jpeg
1B5430FB-A6B8-42A8-9E97-C696489A40B3.jpeg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:21 am

MDWat wrote:
This side would do more than fine next season. For starters, Roberts is fine at right back in the Champ and we’re clearly prioritising signing a left back. Beyer is proven in the Championship and I don’t think anyone had any issues with Ekdal. Midfield trio are all proven in the Championship and we’ve numerous wingers that are too.

There is a significant different in quality between the Prem and the Champ. Our players are young with potential and will get better.

I think we’d be in quite a unique position of most players staying and that can only be a positive.

The issue yesterday was not the youth of the players but a manager whose tactics and in game management are sadly lacking. The bench had experienced players on it and so does the squad.

Everton overload the midfield as a tactic and yesterday they went even further because by the second half they had 5 key players missing: Branthwaite, Mykolenko, Gueye, Young and Doucoure.

Sean Dyche changed the tactics had a defensive five, which turned into a midfield six and completely over powered us in the first half. In the second half he had to bring on a young midfielder (who had a poor half) and decided to sit in. And yet there was no response from our management team to either scenario.

Mc Neil played at left back FFS, and we still didn't really threaten a goal albeit by the second half the 3 missing defenders and two missing central midfielders made Everton play a more pragmatic game.

And to cap it all; Michael Keane was their player of the game because he was allowed to waltz into our box and smash the ball into the net..

Not a single Burnley player would have got into that Everton side even with 5 key players missing.

I haven't got a magic ball and this team was not the one that won the Championship - so I have no idea how we would do next year but I do know that we have not given ourselves a fair chance this season and it is not because of the young players.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:22 am

That goal is just an embarrassment from all involved.

Look at the space Keane has to run in on goal after one header is won, look at that defensive "line".

Absolutely woeful coaching.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:24 am

Trafford 5 -1 great save , slow to react ( maybe ) on 2nd
Vitinho 4- shouldn’t be anywhere near starting
O’Shea 5- back up level at best
Beyer 5- try’s hard but takes a bit to recycle balls
Delcroix 5- good feet but looks miles off
JBL 5- lively but little service
Brownhill 4- a real off today for him
Berge 5- ok v poor teams but swallowed up today
Odobert 5 has something but mainly nullified
Amdouni 5- poor game for him fell over too much
Jay 5- great turn but barely even scraps to feed.

Foster 6- looked keen good to see him back

This team looks dreadful and miles off . Good to see Foster /Benson back , Taylor was a miss too

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:41 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 pm
Very hard to understand so many people giving good ratings to a goalkeeper responsible for conceding two goals.
I said he was not at fault for the first goal last night. Having seen it again, that was perhaps too definitive. He might have done more to compete as the MOTD analysis showed. However, he was not the prime culprit for the goal, as the Sky and MOTD analysis also showed. Brownhill, Amdouni and Brunn Larsen are all unacceptably weak. They do nothing to prevent runners coming onto the ball at pace or to give Trafford the space to attack it himself. As a result even if Trafford had done everything right, Onana would have started their contest with a significant advantage.

Other than in that instance I thought that given the limitations of his protection, Trafford did OK. He is a young keeper and clearly not the most dominant in the air (at least not yet). But that is true of plenty of keepers in this league. The difference is that most are better protected by more physical and more aggressive defenders.

That is ultimately on the manager. Last night he chose to play a lightweight centre half at left back. He could instead have played Ekdal (who uis good in the air) and moved Beyer (who is not especially as the second goal showed) to full back. That would have given us two more imposing defenders generally(Ekdal and O'Shea, who did fine last night and for me is our most robust defender) plus more height at set plays. Against a team with no massive pace on behind, but who are always going to load the box at set plays, that just seems obvious to me.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:22 pm

Trafford 4
Vitinho 4 - Roberts should be in in front of him
O’Shea 4 - why, oh why, do we channel so much of the play through him?
Beyer 4
Delcroix 3 - single handedly making me question the manager's view of what's a quality player
Brun Larsen 4 - hideously bad crossing
Berge 5
Brownhill 4 - his role seems to have been reduced to harrying and chasing
Odobert 4
Rodriguez 4
Amdouni 3 - offers very little, should be replaced for a desperately needed extra midfielder.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:39 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:41 am
snipped
There's no doubt everyone in a Burnley shirt involved in the first goal was poor, but I don't really buy that that gives Onana a significant advantage over Trafford. He's allowed to use his arms and yet fails to win a header that's right on top of him. A goalkeeper has to be able to deal with that.

And that's before the Lee Grant-style save that leads to the second.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:51 pm

Trafford -5 his technique for the first goal dismantled by Shay Given on MOTD. Great save from DCL but is a Boy doing a man’s job.
Vitinho - 6 was pulled around by Everton’s change of formation.
O’Shea - 5 free pass for DCL header
Beyer - 5 passable showing
Delacroix - 5 looked like he was playing out of position
Brownhill - 5 didn’t really notice him so that begs the question why is he captain
Berge - 6 looked good in the second half
Bruun Larsen - 5 one or two good bits but no real threat to the opposition
Odebert -5 as above
Jayrod -4 one or two reducers May have slowed him down even further but no real threat
Amdouni-4 doesn’t seem to link up with either his strike partner or wingers. Had the only decent Burnley shot of the game.

Foster - 5 understandably looked rusty

Other subs.

Al-Dakhil for Delacroix, what was that about?
The others were on too late to affect the game, Tresor had a shot into the CFE.

VK schooled by Sean from start to finish. The latter changed his plan for this game which completely flummoxed our team. Plainly Kompany learnt nothing from the Cup Tie or if he did, he was unable to implement it given that we conceded from two set pieces.

What was most concerning was players hiding and the complete surrender in the first half. No fight, no heart in response to conceding except for accepting the inevitable defeat and ultimately relegation.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:28 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:18 am
Like I said I think Beyer is living on last seasons plaudits

People very quick to single out O’Shea and Delcroix (who’s barely played)

What’s Beyer doing here for Keane’s goal? First phase in that from an Everton free kick from deep.

Then Berge doesn’t sniff the danger and follow the runner.

Admittedly Delcroix doesn’t win his header but that goal comes from the poor positioning of our LCB Beyer.
Whole heartedly agree with Beyer analysis. He’s been culpable
V palace, West Ham, Arsenal and yesterday of late and yet avoids the criticism that OShea gets. Whilst I’m not convinced OShea is good enough I don’t think he’s been any worse than JB it just highlights how low in prem quality we are.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:30 pm

Firstly, THIS IS A PLAYER RATING THREAD, TAKE YOUR COMMENTS ELSEWHERE AND LEAVE IT AS PRESCRIBED!

Trafford 4 1 for the save. From Calvert-Lewin If he cannot master his own goal line, he needs replacing until he is tough!
Vitinho 6
O'Shea 5
Beyer 5
Delcroix 5
Bruun Larsen 7
Berge 7
Brownhill 6
Odobert 5
Amdouni 5
Rodriguez 5

Foster 5

Decent possession, as afforded by Everton. However, no command in either box.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:50 pm

MDWat wrote:
What a shock, eh?!

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:26 pm

From tv
Trafford 5 one excellent save but the rest of his game is weak. Everton knew exactly how to pressure him. He must be nearing the moment when he is rested.
Vitinho 6 not great one on one, which is a distinct disadvantage for a full back.
O’Shea 5 struggling at this level
Beyer 6 under constant pressure from their bigger players
Delcroix 6 started quite well with a couple of decent passes down the line to Wilson, but like the rest he struggled under pressure.
Burn Larsen 5 one of our many part time wingers
Berger 7 just about our best player yesterday.
Brownhill 5 when he is ineffective he really is ineffective.
Odobert 5 another young part time winger.
Amdouni 6 very frustrating to watch, he has skill and technique, but doesn’t seem to know when and where to use them.
Jayrod 4 no service, but sadly past his sell-by date
Foster 6 showed glimpses but obviously rusty.

Like most other Burnley fans I am resigned to relegation now. After last season’s glorious footballing adventure, I can not for the life in me fully understand why we have gone down this suicidal route now we are back in the PL. A decent Everton team outfought us, outmuscled us and outthought us yesterday. Sad to see, but we are so naive, weak, and lacking desire. We have no leaders on the pitch which is disastrous for these young players. Let’s just hope we can improve quickly.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:33 pm

Trafford 6
Vitinho 6
O'Shea 6
Beyer 7
Delcroix 6
Bruun Larsen 6
Berge 7
Brownhill 6
Odobert 6
Amdouni 6
Rodriguez 6

Foster 5
Al Dakhil 6

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1073 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:38 pm

Trafford 5
Vitinho 3
O Shea 3
Beyer 5
Delcroix 3
Berge 4
Brownhill 4
Odobert 5
Amdouini 5
Larsen 4
Rodriguez 3
Foster 4

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Trafford 7

Vitinho 6
O'Shea 5
Beyer 6
Delcroix 6

Larsen 5
Brownhill 6
Berge 7 MOM
Odobert 7

Rodriguez 4
Amdouni 6

Foster 6
Al Dakhil 6

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:31 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:06 am
Genuine question, if the team is ‘nowhere near the team that came up’ (this statement suggests a serious gap in quality), what’s your opinion on beating the 2nd best team in the league we came up from 5-0, and the 3rd best team in the league we came up from 2-1 away from home?

Second question, why do we need to offload players?

Sheff Utd were poor and haven’t improved. Let’s not get carried away with the Luton result - it could easily have gone the other way

The reason we won’t be as good is also linked to the fact we will have no Barnes, Jay, Cork or Taylor. All key players on and off the pitch last season. Where’s that experience being replaced? No Tella, Maatsen, THB…. And the players that have come in, Berge aside, are not as good. Nowhere near. If you think they are you’re deluded.

As for offloading players - inevitable. There will be lads we simply can’t keep based on salary alone, and one or two will undoubtedly leave based on their ability. Brownhill already linked to West Ham / Wolves. Teams will be interested in koleosho, Benson and Beyer no doubts.

The lack of “nouse” is my main concern. Can’t be underestimated and one of the main reasons we are where we are

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 pm

Luppy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:31 pm
Sheff Utd were poor and haven’t improved. Let’s not get carried away with the Luton result - it could easily have gone the other way

The reason we won’t be as good is also linked to the fact we will have no Barnes, Jay, Cork or Taylor. All key players on and off the pitch last season. Where’s that experience being replaced? No Tella, Maatsen, THB…. And the players that have come in, Berge aside, are not as good. Nowhere near. If you think they are you’re deluded.

As for offloading players - inevitable. There will be lads we simply can’t keep based on salary alone, and one or two will undoubtedly leave based on their ability. Brownhill already linked to West Ham / Wolves. Teams will be interested in koleosho, Benson and Beyer no doubts.

The lack of “nouse” is my main concern. Can’t be underestimated and one of the main reasons we are where we are
That’s a very squirmy answer to why we beat the best two Championship teams yet apparently are nowhere near as good as last season.

The rest of your answer isn’t even worth replying to in full but you calling people deluded is pretty funny,

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:15 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 pm
That’s a very squirmy answer to why we beat the best two Championship teams yet apparently are nowhere near as good as last season.

The rest of your answer isn’t even worth replying to in full but you calling people deluded is pretty funny,
Depends how you look at things, we blew them away last year finishing loads of points ahead of both.

Luton are now above us and Sheffield are on the same points.

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:19 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 pm

How is it a squirmy answer? It’s a detailed answer! Guess time will tell 😂😂😂

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:43 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:10 am
The Sheffield team lost to get there manager sacked and let’s be honest Luton should have beaten us.
What do you base your opinion of the Luton match on?

For my money, we could and probably should’ve been 3 or 4 up at half time after easily being the better team in the first half. And although Luton upped it in the second half, I can’t remember ‘getting away’ with much or Trafford making any great saves.

I’ve seen you mention this a few times but it’s far from how I saw the game. Perhaps when they equalised it felt like they had the momentum at that point and they may go on and win the game - but they didn’t.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:20 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:17 pm
Very hard to understand so many people giving good ratings to a goalkeeper responsible for conceding two goals.
Clearly you are not following the script.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:27 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:16 am
Sure a few will leave, thats expected, but in my opinion we will retain a large main core and won’t be under as much pressure to sell as last time. But I will note that’s dependant on who is manager. Most of these players are only at Burnley because of Kompany.
Why will we not be under as much pressure to sell as last time? We still have a large debt to service and this squad containing circa 9 wide players is far too big for the Championship.
The worrying thing is we may struggle to move many of them on, as clubs won’t match or get anywhere near the transfer fees we have paid for them or get near the wages they are on.

JBR
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by JBR » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:03 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:27 pm
Why will we not be under as much pressure to sell as last time? We still have a large debt to service and this squad containing circa 9 wide players is far too big for the Championship.
The worrying thing is we may struggle to move many of them on, as clubs won’t match or get anywhere near the transfer fees we have paid for them or get near the wages they are on.
Out of the current group I think only kolo and berge go for £15-20m each no one else has shown they can cope with the prem , Odobert is promising though if he continues as he is doing. Foster will be £15-20m if he gets back in the form he showed early doors.