Game consol help required

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Berne Leigh
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Game consol help required

Post by Berne Leigh » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:41 am

Hello,

Apologies this is completely off topic but I can’t face any football chat just now. I have 3 children a lad aged 11 and two girls aged 13 and 15. We have never had any form of games console in the house but I feel that we should probably give one a whirl.

None of them have been particularly badgering for one and they spend most of their spare time playing sport of some variety but I think it may be time to give it a go.

What would people recommend? What system, PlayStation, x box ….. ? New or back market?

They are not going to be locking themselves away for hours on it but something that the whole family can use and have a bit of fun.

Thanks

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Game consol help required

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:48 am

If it’s a family console you probably couldn’t get better than the Nintendo Switch.

Limited in terms of graphics and those big AAA title games that are on Xbox and PS5 but a super fun console.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:58 am

It's true the Switch is a great family console and there is lots for people of all ages to enjoy, Mario Kart, Zelda etc.

Nintendo consoles do not have the graphical grunt of Xbox & PlayStation. Which is fine when your first party titles are well designed and often stylized, but the downside is 3rd party titles like FIFA or Assassin's Creed will be a very different and paired back experience.

The Switch 2 will be announced next year, this is the first year since release in 2017 they are discounting the Switch for this very reason.

I would think about the games your family will want to play. Sports games, Fifa, NBA, etc will all be better on Playstation or Xbox. It won't be long until you'll be telling the lad he can't have Grand Theft Auto until you finally give in, that won't be on Switch or Switch 2.

If you have young kinds under 10 the Switch is still a good option, cheaper, fun, colorful, well crafted games. They will be having fun & wont know/care about Switch 2.
But long terms for teens I think it's Xbox or PlayStation. Which is a whole other discussion over which to get :lol:

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:49 am

In my experience there's pretty much no difference, in terms of graphics and performance, between the latest X Box and the PS5.

Some games are exclusive to each platform though so check if there's a particular game you like the look of to make sure it's available for your chosen platform.

I went for the PS4 originally, and have subsequently upgraded it to a PS5, for the following reasons

- The controller has active (haptic) feedback and you can actually feel the resistance of any surface that your character might be walking over. In the demo game there's a guy with a bow and arrow and the tension of the string can be felt as it increasingly tightens.

- Virtual reality is only available on the PS4/5 as far as I know. It's an expensive add on but it's very good. I have the version 1 which does suffer from reduced graphics due to the amount of processing required, but it's more than adequate. Version 2 is much better, so I hear, but it's quite expensive.