ARTICLE: No players reach average in Everton defeat

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

ARTICLE: No players reach average in Everton defeat

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:02 pm

MOM & Player ratings result v Everton

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/no-players ... ton-defeat

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Re: ARTICLE: No players reach average in Everton defeat

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm not surprised and not really one for commenting on performances but Saturdays first half was not acceptable at any level.Must have been at least 4 players I never noticed playing until way into the 2nd half

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:32 pm

Has this ever happened before CT?

& if it has, how many times has it happened? If you know and it isn’t too hard/time consuming to look up.. cheers

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:43 pm

How on Earth some of those players averaged so high is surprising!

That performance was a disgrace.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:28 pm

I guess this says it all, inadequate displays on the field matched by fans’ reactions to poor performances. Not much Xmas spirit about!

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:25 pm

It was disappointing.
I think this was the one match where the fans expected a battle and we gave as much as we got.......unfortunately not.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:37 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:25 pm
It was disappointing.
I think this was the one match where the fans expected a battle and we gave as much as we got.......unfortunately not.
I really thought they'd lift their game. Avenge the cup loss, make some point about Dyche Vs Kompany, particularly from players like Jay or Brownhill who allegedly weren't happy with Dyche/have been reinvented under Kompany.
The fact Jay was so anonymous and Brownhill for all his running got brushed aside in midfield was very disappointing. Everton never needed to get out of first gear, they scored as predictably as possible in the cup and did it again in the league we may as well have just rolled out the red carpet for them.
Really not what I expected, thought we could get something out of it and rise to the occasion.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:05 am

Beyer being so high up for the mom for this game baffles me. Awful defending / non existent marking for the second goal and went through the majority of the game without having to mark a man as he left OShea to battle with Calvert Lewin. A surging run that came to zero seems to often get him gooey eyes from people.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:19 am

KlyBfc wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:05 am
Beyer being so high up for the mom for this game baffles me. Awful defending / non existent marking for the second goal and went through the majority of the game without having to mark a man as he left OShea to battle with Calvert Lewin. A surging run that came to zero seems to often get him gooey eyes from people.
It’s a strange one - people have decided that Beyer is almost incapable of criticism somehow because he was a favourite last year and has a few nice touches a game (little bit like Amdouni in that respect)

He’s been torrid all year bar one half against Brighton.
No doubting O’Shea has struggled but he’s the only one (apart from the wolves game with ekdal) that has tried to compete and go for the ball. AAD and Beyer have been a travesty.

Says if all when some are blaming him for the second goal and not Beyer’s horrific positioning.
This user liked this post: KlyBfc

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32558 times
Has Liked: 5284 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 am

KlyBfc wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:05 am
I couldn’t agree more. It seems everyone has such a downer on O’Shea that they can’t see how bad a defender Beyer is.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:25 pm

Beyer was used as a right back in Germany, he was fine in the championship at centre back but maybe time to try him at right back in this league.
We need a right back and he seems to have all the attributes needed to play the role we want our full back to play, he can carry the ball forward and be an extra man in midfield.
It'd mean we could bring Ekdal in at centre half to give us some more height

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:27 pm

In the Line up for Everton thread I suggested pushing Beyer forward or using as a third central defender because it was obvious what was going to happen. And to be honest had Dyche had those 5 injured players for a full 90 minutes it would have been much worse.

Ironically, due to Mykolenko's injury Dyche had to do the same: play 3 central defenders.

Or alternatively use Beyer at RB to accommodate a taller central defender.

I totally understand that we may have a very big Championship squad but the inability to adapt either in team selection or in game management has been surprising to say the least.

The reluctance to criticise VK is laudable but heaven help us Beyer and the others were lambs to the slaughter against an Everton side that overpowered our midfield, scored 2 easy goals and then put their feet up for an hour.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:22 am
I couldn’t agree more. It seems everyone has such a downer on O’Shea that they can’t see how bad a defender Beyer is.
I obviously don't watch as much / closely as many on here now, but last season I thought Beyer was always supposed to be the 2nd centre half - the one who drops off, and covers behind, the one who's there to play the ball more? Wasn't THB the one who more often than not went and engaged, challenegd for the high ball, and was supposed to be the dominant centre half? And that mantle has been taken over by O'Shea? They just look, like they do in most places over the park, unbalanced.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:44 pm

It was Berge who was supposed to be marking Keane for his goal.
He had a shocker, but got mom.

We all see things differently though.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:59 pm

Nice to see this thread has lead to having a go at our young CB who was arguably our best player few month ago.

Merry Christmas