Best half of the season?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MrTechno
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Best half of the season?

Post by MrTechno » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:05 pm

Thought we were superb second half and looked every inch a premier league side. Hope this bodes well for the future, it’ll be very difficult but we’ve given ourselves a glimmer of hope. Special shout outs to Brownhill who bar Everton has put in some smashing performances lately, “he’s here he’s there he’s every f….. where”. And young odobert who scored a smashing goal and is looking better each game, easy to forget he’s a young lad in a new country. Moreover I think that getting performances out of tresor will be key, he’s struggled a lot but there’s a player in there and he looked more committed and aggressive today. Like most of you I’m sure it’s a happy 3 points, an early Christmas present. Have a great festive period fellow clarets. Take care.
These 13 users liked this post: CoolClaret NewClaret PhiladelphiaChris jedi_master Benson Bosscat Buxtonclaret evensteadiereddie Holtyclaret Quicknick bfcjg longsidepies CnBtruntru

tally
Been Liked: 185 times
Has Liked: 287 times

Re: Best half of the season?

Post by tally » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm

UTC Finally delivered just before Xmas

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:59 pm

MrTechno wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:05 pm
Thought we were superb second half and looked every inch a premier league side. Hope this bodes well for the future, it’ll be very difficult but we’ve given ourselves a glimmer of hope. Special shout outs to Brownhill who bar Everton has put in some smashing performances lately, “he’s here he’s there he’s every f….. where”. And young odobert who scored a smashing goal and is looking better each game, easy to forget he’s a young lad in a new country. Moreover I think that getting performances out of tresor will be key, he’s struggled a lot but there’s a player in there and he looked more committed and aggressive today. Like most of you I’m sure it’s a happy 3 points, an early Christmas present. Have a great festive period fellow clarets. Take care.
👆This is a feel good post of thr highest order 👆
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg longsidepies

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:01 pm

MrTechno wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:05 pm
You too Mr T

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:10 pm

Can’t believe how confidence can alter after going 2 goals up ,seemed like headless chickens in the first half ,scored a couple of goals and everyone seemed a yard faster and first into the tackle might be tough for the next couple of games but need to remember this performance going into the New Year.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 935 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Needlessly gave the ball away a few times but overall we looked much more organised in defence 2nd half.

A well deserved (if rather unexpected if we're honest) win against an in form side should hopefully give us some confidence going into what will undoubtedly be an even tougher test against Liverpool in 2 days time.
Last edited by Vintage Claret on Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm

I'd love to know the stats but it felt to me today like we won an awful lot of the second balls which has been our problem this season. Vitinho, Brownhill and especially Berge picked up so many loose balls.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm

I’d be starting Tresor for Amdouni. A couple of nice tricks every game but he's had the shirt most of the season for very little product.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:17 pm

Vintage Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm
Needlessly gave the ball away a few times but overall we looked much more organised in defence 2nd half.

A well deserved (if rather unexpected if we're honest) win against an in form side should hopefully give us some confidence going into what will undoubtedly be an even tougher test against Liverpool in 2 days time.
Was told by an Anfield season ticket holder last night he thinks Burnley will win on Tuesday night
🙂

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:25 pm

That's 2 out of 3 wins for me in away games
I enjoyed this one against a Fulham side who usually score for fun at home.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm
I'd love to know the stats but it felt to me today like we won an awful lot of the second balls which has been our problem this season. Vitinho, Brownhill and especially Berge picked up so many loose balls.
I stand to be corrected but I thought in the first half we were miles off it in terms of picking up the second ball - especially Berge.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:25 pm
That's 2 out of 3 wins for me in away games
I enjoyed this one against a Fulham side who usually score for fun at home.
Someone buy this man a ticket for Villa…
This user liked this post: bfcjg

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:33 pm

I thought whilst not being much of a threat in the final 30 minutes of the first half, we were pretty solid. I don’t think Trafford made any great save at all, pretty easy stuff.

Aside from the goalmouth scramble close to half time, I don’t think Fulham looked like scoring all afternoon. Comfortable professional away performance.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill HollandsPies

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:38 pm

They didn't have a sniff second half - very encouraging to go in under the cosh a bit, make a change and then take the game away from Fulham.

Renewed optimisim.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:00 pm

Just got back and yes that was the best half of football I’d say. We said after the game that it was the first time this season that we actually came out for a second half and looked bang up for it. We were under pressure towards the end of the first half and we thought we were in for a torrid second half again. Thankfully, we were excellent.

Individual shout outs must go to 1. O’Shea who was brilliant, 2. Berge who is our most accomplished PL keeper player and 3. Amdouni, purely because I’ve been very critical but he injected much more purpose into today’s performance.

I’m wary of suggesting turning points given the number of inept displays we’ve seen this season, but surely today has to become a foundation for something better.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat longsidepies

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:43 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:26 pm
I stand to be corrected but I thought in the first half we were miles off it in terms of picking up the second ball - especially Berge.
I should have specified second half, I think you are correct about the first (but the thread is about the second half after all!)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:49 pm

I thought Beyer and O'Shea defended like Mee and Tarks in that second half, aggressive,blocking, worked well together, signs are good.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:45 am

MOTD made it look like a smash and grab. Will look forward to seeing some extended highlights then!

Well done to the fans that went. VK's interview made it sound like the kind of scenes at the end that we were used to last season.

UTC

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:12 am

:x
ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:00 pm
Just got back and yes that was the best half of football I’d say. We said after the game that it was the first time this season that we actually came out for a second half and looked bang up for it. We were under pressure towards the end of the first half and we thought we were in for a torrid second half again. Thankfully, we were excellent.

Individual shout outs must go to 1. O’Shea who was brilliant, 2. Berge who is our most accomplished PL keeper player and 3. Amdouni, purely because I’ve been very critical but he injected much more purpose into today’s performance.

I’m wary of suggesting turning points given the number of inept displays we’ve seen this season, but surely today has to become a foundation for something better.
The anti Trafford movement has gone too far if you reckon Berge is a better keeper😁
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 pm

Since the Palace game with the exception of Everton and to a lesser extent Wolves, I think that we have put in some decent performances and competed in most games.
Although prone to the odd mistake I think O Shea has been very solid. Personally I think he is our best defender although Beyer is a much better ball player. They seem to be complementing each other and I would probably stick with this pairing. Vitinho looks to be the much better option at right back and has improved massively in that role. Taylor has been a pretty solid 6 out of 10 most games. I don't get the Trafford haters as I think he is by far our best keeper. He could be stronger sometimes on set pieces although he receives almost zero help from his team mates in these situations. He could also maybe quicken up his distribution at times. Apart from the Billing goal at Bournemouth I cannot see any absolute howlers that he has made. People may disagree especially regarding Arsenal's second and Everton's second but that's my opinion. Berge and Brownhill are looking solid in midfield. Odobert has been outstanding offensively although he probably needs to sharpen up his defensive responsibilities. Amdouni seems to be growing in confidence and looks like that player who can open up an opposition defence.

It's a shame that we had such a poor start but at least there is a glimmer of hope that we can stay up from the last 7 or 8 performances. UTC
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:48 pm

It certainly was not a smash and grab. Fulham had a few shots in the first half (three of them in a concentrated period) but they were really only half chances and one scramble where we got bodies in the way as a Dyche side would have done. We didn’t really look under the kosh at any time, we just didn’t offer any threat in the first half. We stepped it up after the break and could have had two in the first 90 seconds. About as comfortable a half as you could hope for away from home in the PL

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:50 pm

It was a very similar second half performance to Everton. The difference being they hadn't managed to score in the first half and were at home. which put more pressure on them.

But yes, after Bruun Larsen went off our midfield four managed the game against a pretty decent 5 very well.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:50 pm

If you look at the PL table on the BBC website they show the last 6 results - we have W2 D1 L3 = 7 points

Better than - Sheffield United, Luton, Forest (1 point from the last 6 games), Palace, Brentford, Chelsea and Manchester City

Equal to - Wolves and Manchester United

As stated above shame about the poor start but recent signs more encouraging
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:06 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:50 pm
If you look at the PL table on the BBC website they show the last 6 results - we have W2 D1 L3 = 7 points

Better than - Sheffield United, Luton, Forest (1 point from the last 6 games), Palace, Brentford, Chelsea and Manchester City

Equal to - Wolves and Manchester United

As stated above shame about the poor start but recent signs more encouraging
Shhhhhh we aren't allowed to post positivity on here ... 😉

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:17 pm

We’re very slowly but surely turning the wheels a little . We’ve a full strength squad and a bit of positivity up front , Oderbert looking good , Foster back etc . We’ll need to stay strong and start picking up home points . We’re a touch better than the bottom group and 2 good signings could just steer us out of the doo doo.

ClaretOfMancunia
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 53 times

Post by ClaretOfMancunia » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:18 pm

Amdouni has been getting a bit of stick lately but thought he was great yesterday. Won the ball back with a brilliant sliding tackle, setting up the one two for Odobert and Foster. Nice to see the whole team growing into the league.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:35 pm

The second half ...I am very confident

bobinho
Been Liked: 4107 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:25 pm

Neil wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:12 am
:x

The anti Trafford movement has gone too far if you reckon Berge is a better keeper😁
Not a stretch to suggest we won’t have to wait long to see something along those lines in print on here, such is the level of vitriol towards this young lad.

Positive OP, nice to see for a change…👍🏻