Wilson Odobert

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: Wilson Odobert

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:37 pm

Just get him on the ball! He's playing at his right level now and we'll do well to keep if we are relegated. If it turns out we don't keep him it's going to be a case of how much we get. An awful lot hopefully if it goes that way.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:36 pm

He's bloody brilliant!!
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:39 pm

Imagine if Koleosho gets back fit we really will turn teams over.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:01 pm

I’m really hoping we didn’t have any relegation clauses with them. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have done.

I think the only two players who had them were Weghorst and Cornet - they were both established players at European clubs so I’m hoping with younger players, they didn’t have the same expectations in negotiations. That or we weren’t stupid enough to offer them again.

That doesn’t necessarily mean our top talent will stay but will mean they only leave on our terms.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:02 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:39 pm
It’d be great to have Koleosho back but both seem stronger on the left side. Not sure how we fit both on the same pitch atm.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm

I thought he was extremely lazy off the ball yesterday, offering absolutely no support to Al-Dakhil. He’s a massive threat in the final third though which is the conundrum. But this lack of discipline across the squad is why we are where we are.
These 2 users liked this post: Goliath xxmunkyennuixx

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm
I thought he was extremely lazy off the ball yesterday, offering absolutely no support to Al-Dakhil. He’s a massive threat in the final third though which is the conundrum. But this lack of discipline across the squad is why we are where we are.
Don’t think it was lazy I just think he didn’t have al-dakhil talking to him, he seemed better early second half when he was on the same side as kompany.

Agree regarding lack of discipline across the squad, Amdouni always playing on the edge is another example of it

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:39 pm
Koleosho was on crutches in bob lord last night

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:18 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:35 pm
Don’t think it was lazy I just think he didn’t have al-dakhil talking to him, he seemed better early second half when he was on the same side as kompany.

Agree regarding lack of discipline across the squad, Amdouni always playing on the edge is another example of it
I thought he seemed totally oblivious to the threat in behind him and when he finally did recognise it he was so lethargic in dealing with it. A better team would have absolutely murdered us. Like I say it’s a conundrum because players like Odobert pose our biggest threat, but they offer nothing off the ball. And I agree that Amdouni is another example. There is a reason why JBG is still starting game for us and that’s not a good reflection on our transfer activity.
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:18 pm
I thought he seemed totally oblivious to the threat in behind him and when he finally did recognise it he was so lethargic in dealing with it. A better team would have absolutely murdered us. Like I say it’s a conundrum because players like Odobert pose our biggest threat, but they offer nothing off the ball. And I agree that Amdouni is another example. There is a reason why JBG is still starting game for us and that’s not a good reflection on our transfer activity.
Our defensive shape is all over once JBG goes off but on the other side of it, if JBG takes that early chance I think it ends up being a comfortable night

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
nail on the head for all of it..........when you consider Kompany played in a City team with an incredible work ethic it's the one thing I thought we would be superb at and first half last night was way off it
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:29 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:21 pm
Our defensive shape is all over once JBG goes off but on the other side of it, if JBG takes that early chance I think it ends up being a comfortable night
Yep. Absolute sitter missed by JBG and not a surprise really.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:31 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 pm
nail on the head for all of it..........when you consider Kompany played in a City team with an incredible work ethic it's the one thing I thought we would be superb at and first half last night was way off it
I said on another thread that Luton are where they are on application. If our side showed the same I suspect we’d be outside the drop zone.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
The problem we have is what we need is a dynamic winger who's got the skill and shooting to be a creative attacking threat at one end, but also got the pressing, workrate, nous, and up-down pace to get back and help the defence out at the other end.
It's one thing to get that for the Championship but in the Prem a player like that comes in at a budget not far off our total spend. Champagne tastes on beer money.
The alternative is to upgrade on our fullbacks but again a top notch defensive fullback who can also overlap and support an attack well at this level costs a fortune. And I can't see us changing our system to have more rigid zones of play like Dyche because a) Not Kompany's philosohpy never will be and b) we've so thoroughly built a team to be fluid that it'd cost similar to such hypothetical players to sign enough players to play in that way.

I genuinely don't know how we solve it beyond desperately hope these youngsters suddenly click at all aspects.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:39 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm
The problem we have is what we need is a dynamic winger who's got the skill and shooting to be a creative attacking threat at one end, but also got the pressing, workrate, nous, and up-down pace to get back and help the defence out at the other end.
It's one thing to get that for the Championship but in the Prem a player like that comes in at a budget not far off our total spend. Champagne tastes on beer money.
The alternative is to upgrade on our fullbacks but again a top notch defensive fullback who can also overlap and support an attack well at this level costs a fortune. And I can't see us changing our system to have more rigid zones of play like Dyche because a) Not Kompany's philosohpy never will be and b) we've so thoroughly built a team to be fluid that it'd cost similar to such hypothetical players to sign enough players to play in that way.

I genuinely don't know how we solve it beyond desperately hope these youngsters suddenly click at all aspects.
Yes I completely agree with that and the hole we find ourselves in. But it’s not that I expect our wide players to be brilliant defensively, but if you look over your shoulder and spot that a simple diagonal over your head puts the team in danger you retreat to stop the threat. And on the occasion you may be caught sleeping you do everything you can to get back to help the team out. I’m not digging out Odobert specifically here, but players with such a limited desire will only go so far, regardless of how good they may be in the final third (absolute elite level players excepted).

I went to watch my local non league side Guiseley today and I can honestly say those players played with more desire and commitment than the majority of ours did last night.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:02 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:31 pm
I said on another thread that Luton are where they are on application. If our side showed the same I suspect we’d be outside the drop zone.
Yep and every credit to them

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:01 pm
I’m really hoping we didn’t have any relegation clauses with them. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have done.

I think the only two players who had them were Weghorst and Cornet - they were both established players at European clubs so I’m hoping with younger players, they didn’t have the same expectations in negotiations. That or we weren’t stupid enough to offer them again.

That doesn’t necessarily mean our top talent will stay but will mean they only leave on our terms.
Pretty sure our terms will be that if we get a good offer to make a good profit they will be off

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:01 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
I A better team would have absolutely murdered us.
A team like Liverpool at home or Aston villa away, perhaps?

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:04 pm

One of the few players who isn’t afraid to shoot on on target is Odobert, and for that I like him.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:17 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:01 pm
Difference with those games, Odobert had a proper left back behind him

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 pm
Pretty sure our terms will be that if we get a good offer to make a good profit they will be off
Possibly. There’s little point debating it since nobody really knows the truth, but as I posted previously, if we want to maximise the value we create from some of these young gems we’re going to have to learn not to sell them too early. Part of that will be creating an environment where they’re happy to continue.

That might be a bit early for this current crop but it’s where we need to get to.

Either way, the encouraging thing is we are able to identify brilliant talent like Koleosho and Odobert. I’m confident that if we need to sell we’ll be able to identify similar talents.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:01 pm
Yes, a team like Liverpool or Villa.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:27 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm
Possibly. There’s little point debating it since nobody really knows the truth, but as I posted previously, if we want to maximise the value we create from some of these young gems we’re going to have to learn not to sell them too early. Part of that will be creating an environment where they’re happy to continue.

That might be a bit early for this current crop but it’s where we need to get to.

Either way, the encouraging thing is we are able to identify brilliant talent like Koleosho and Odobert. I’m confident that if we need to sell we’ll be able to identify similar talents.
That would be great and I hope Odobert is a good lad who appreciates we are giving him a chance and is happy to stay for another season at least.
I hope Pace and Co feel the same.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:28 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:21 pm
I honestly think some the criticism of the subs/system is a bit harsh. I was thinking just before they scored that Kompany had made some sensible decisions put 5 at the back & see out the game. I thought it was working out okay until the Traff error /VAR catastrophe. I don’t think you can legislate for things like that although I will be happy never to see Tresor brought on in such circumstances ever again.

As you say though, we’re missing sitters that are highlighting these errors at the back/Var decisions more than they should be doing.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:27 pm
That would be great and I hope Odobert is a good lad who appreciates we are giving him a chance and is happy to stay for another season at least.
I hope Pace and Co feel the same.
I’ll be pretty disappointed in the current crop don’t feel they owe something to the fans after this season. I think we’ll sell a few but not as many as some people are suggesting on here. I hope so anyway because I don’t think it’s sensible to be a high turnover club every window and if Pace thinks it is I think he’ll get a shock as to how disruptive it’ll be. We need to find some consistency in the squad.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:34 pm

Yes, fans need to start identifying with the players. It's always been part of Burnley folklore

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:36 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 pm
I’ll be pretty disappointed in the current crop don’t feel they owe something to the fans after this season. I think we’ll sell a few but not as many as some people are suggesting on here. I hope so anyway because I don’t think it’s sensible to be a high turnover club every window and if Pace thinks it is I think he’ll get a shock as to how disruptive it’ll be. We need to find some consistency in the squad.
One thing I don't understand is surely the amount of money to be made from staying in the Prem is currently greater than weakening the team by selling a few players. How many are likely to match (in player sales) the £130 million (plus extra advertising revenue & other associated benefits of Prem football)?

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:36 pm

Be wonderful if he stayed, he'd shred most Championship defences.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:59 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:28 pm
I honestly think some the criticism of the subs/system is a bit harsh. I was thinking just before they scored that Kompany had made some sensible decisions put 5 at the back & see out the game. I thought it was working out okay until the Traff error /VAR catastrophe. I don’t think you can legislate for things like that although I will be happy never to see Tresor brought on in such circumstances ever again.

As you say though, we’re missing sitters that are highlighting these errors at the back/Var decisions more than they should be doing.
I don’t have a problem with going to the 5 at the back but I think he went 5 at the back at least 5 minutes to early maybe even 10 minutes go early with the potential for extra added time. It was around 70-75th minute mark can’t quite remember, that’s still early in a game now especially at 1-0

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:06 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:36 pm
One thing I don't understand is surely the amount of money to be made from staying in the Prem is currently greater than weakening the team by selling a few players. How many are likely to match (in player sales) the £130 million (plus extra advertising revenue & other associated benefits of Prem football)?
Well none of them, which is why in the past I’ve argued keeping an experienced player like Tarks for two years and letting him run down his contract is more important than taking £25m.

I’m talking here about how many will stay with us in the Championship next year and I’m just saying I hope a good majority- both on moral grounds and also because whatever we get for them is a pittance compared to what we’d get for going straight up.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:09 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:59 pm
I don’t have a problem with going to the 5 at the back but I think he went 5 at the back at least 5 minutes to early maybe even 10 minutes go early with the potential for extra added time. It was around 70-75th minute mark can’t quite remember, that’s still early in a game now especially at 1-0
Yes it was quite early. Although I did think JBG, Odobert, Amdouni and Foster looked shot at the time.

And it worked for 29 of the 30 minutes :lol:

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:22 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 pm
Yes, a team like Liverpool or Villa.
You'd say we were murdered in those two games, really?

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:26 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:39 pm
Yes I completely agree with that and the hole we find ourselves in. But it’s not that I expect our wide players to be brilliant defensively, but if you look over your shoulder and spot that a simple diagonal over your head puts the team in danger you retreat to stop the threat. And on the occasion you may be caught sleeping you do everything you can to get back to help the team out. I’m not digging out Odobert specifically here, but players with such a limited desire will only go so far, regardless of how good they may be in the final third (absolute elite level players excepted).

I went to watch my local non league side Guiseley today and I can honestly say those players played with more desire and commitment than the majority of ours did last night.
I couldn't watch last night (would have been there if it hadn't been moved) but unfortunately I can believe that last part. Luton have boatloads of bottle, they're doing exactly what we did a couple of times under Dyche, overperforming through team spirit, guts, and getting the most out of a limited bunch. Of ours, Vitinho, Jay and Foster are battlers, Gudmundsson, Taylor & Brownhill put yards in usually, Beyer beats himself up when he plays badly, and Roberts flits between histrionics and Ashley Barnes shithousery. But there's a lot who do look mentally weak or not all that committed from the other games I've seen. If our model is to make our squad a shop window then they're only going to be interested for as long as they're on display, if we want players to come and go quickly then it probably helps if they're not fussed to come or go either or they might not want to be sold on.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:02 am

CardyTheClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:22 pm
You'd say we were murdered in those two games, really?
No because we played much better in those two games.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 am

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:26 pm
I couldn't watch last night (would have been there if it hadn't been moved) but unfortunately I can believe that last part. Luton have boatloads of bottle, they're doing exactly what we did a couple of times under Dyche, overperforming through team spirit, guts, and getting the most out of a limited bunch. Of ours, Vitinho, Jay and Foster are battlers, Gudmundsson, Taylor & Brownhill put yards in usually, Beyer beats himself up when he plays badly, and Roberts flits between histrionics and Ashley Barnes shithousery. But there's a lot who do look mentally weak or not all that committed from the other games I've seen. If our model is to make our squad a shop window then they're only going to be interested for as long as they're on display, if we want players to come and go quickly then it probably helps if they're not fussed to come or go either or they might not want to be sold on.
It's not even been a season and some of my concerns have started to surface.

Got absolute pelters (still do) for highlighting this / pointing out we could turn into a Watford type with players here for a year for the paycheck/to put themselves in the shop window.

Posters were making it out like it's a sure fire guarentee that everything would be hunky dory and we'd magically flip every signing for profit, reinvest it and continue to improve every season; if only it was that easy.

I like Odobert (I mean I started this thread) but I was very dissappoined with the off the ball stuff on Friday night.

Anyway, I'd drop Amdouni for Berge and put Brownhill back into that 'Hendrick' role and have more legs in the middle of the park

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:38 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:28 am
It's not even been a season and some of my concerns have started to surface.

Got absolute pelters (still do) for highlighting this / pointing out we could turn into a Watford type with players here for a year for the paycheck/to put themselves in the shop window.

Posters were making it out like it's a sure fire guarentee that everything would be hunky dory and we'd magically flip every signing for profit, reinvest it and continue to improve every season; if only it was that easy.

I like Odobert (I mean I started this thread) but I was very dissappoined with the off the ball stuff on Friday night.

Anyway, I'd drop Amdouni for Berge and put Brownhill back into that 'Hendrick' role and have more legs in the middle of the park
Not a bad suggestion, if wed played a midfield like this all season, you'd think wed be a fair bit better off. Work rate/quality/physical presence/pace - It ticks all of these boxes and with Foster upfront wed always have a goal threat. Wed also be able to play out from the back a bit better you'd think.

............Cork
--------Berge----Brownhill
Benson/JBG/Redmond...... Zaroury/Odobert/Koleosho

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:03 am

Goliath wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:38 am
Not a bad suggestion, if wed played a midfield like this all season, you'd think wed be a fair bit better off. Work rate/quality/physical presence/pace - It ticks all of these boxes and with Foster upfront wed always have a goal threat. Wed also be able to play out from the back a bit better you'd think.

............Cork
--------Berge----Brownhill
Benson/JBG/Redmond...... Zaroury/Odobert/Koleosho
Thinking more

--------Cullen-Berge
JBG------Brownhill----Odobert
------------Foster

Brownhill pressing from the front and with his recovery runs would be a big help for us and he has a goal in him.

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:18 am

https://www.westhamzone.com/transfers/w ... n-odobert/

And it starts. West Ham have apparently approached us about signing him in the summer.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:36 am

More clubs will follow looking at him, Odobert is going the top, when the ball is at his feet he makes it look so easy. He got past his man every time he had the ball yesterday.

One massive bright spark in a pretty depressing season to date

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 am

A star in the making. Energy, skill, pace, great attitude and stamina.

A step ahead of koleosho for me who is also top drawer.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:08 pm

He has huge potential.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 2921 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:11 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:57 am
A star in the making. Energy, skill, pace, great attitude and stamina.

A step ahead of koleosho for me who is also top drawer.
Koleosho is more inclined to get a foot in defensively and fight for the ball, but his end product is nowhere near as good and he isn't as composed. Odobert would be immense in a team that didn't need to do as much defensive work as we need to.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:11 pm
Koleosho is more inclined to get a foot in defensively and fight for the ball, but his end product is nowhere near as good and he isn't as composed. Odobert would be immense in a team that didn't need to do as much defensive work as we need to.
He is getting better at tracking back and getting stuck in is Odobert, if we somehow manage to keep hold of Odobert foster and koleosho next season regardless of the league we are in then they will be so exciting to watch

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:07 pm

With the players we had this season, we really had to start the season in a 433 with the wingers we had that lacked any defensive nouse.
Unfortunately it never happened. Something along these lines would have been pretty sensible and given us some defensive security with the extra body in mifield youd have thought. The signing of Amdouni has cost us in so many ways, hes been a disaster.

Brownhill Berge Cullen

Benson Foster Odobert