Staring into the abyss, with some optimism…

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Staring into the abyss, with some optimism…

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:02 pm

I always look for a positive in any conversation relating to BFC and right now, it’d be very easy to throw the towel in on the season.

I started supporting Burnley in 1992…a good season to start, albeit with a low bar. Ever since then, the trend has very much been an upward trajectory, but more, every season has gone to the wire and with the exception of perhaps one (our 28 point second half of the season in Dwight’s debut season), it has rarely felt like this at the halfway stage: cut adrift.

That said, and here’s the paradox, or so to speak…whilst my expectation now is that we’re going to go down, with eighteen games to go, I see a side before my eyes that is getting better and better with every game. In some respects, I’m enjoying the evolution, whilst also acknowledging that I feel mistakes were made (a few too many summer signings, not investing enough in the defence, and not building around last season’s title winning side more).

We’re not Premier League standard (yet) and the league table doesn’t lie, but there are green shoots of some really good things developing. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I do envisage a second half to the season that will, hopefully aided by a few January signings, eclipse our opening 20 game total. I can see a scenario where we possibly get relegated after having ‘established’ ourselves at Premier League level.

So how do we go about trying to enjoy the rest of the season, when the outlook in the short term, doesn’t look too great?

Or do we dare to dream? Regardless, I sincerely hope that we can manage to keep hold of a good number of our exciting signings, even if one of two have to be moved on under our moneyball model.

Roll on Luton! And here’s to the most wonderful second half of a season that’s possibly imaginable.

UTC
These 23 users liked this post: Bosscat Rowls bfcjg Goliath Rick_Muller Holtyclaret Gerry Hattrick claretgimmer Ampth7 Vegas Claret Taffy on the wing Colburn_Claret yosserhughes BleedingClaret leelad louieollie longsidepies burnley007 simonclaret evensteadiereddie ArmchairDetective RetroClaret ViscountClaret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Re: Staring into the abyss, with some optimism…

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:07 pm

Love it JDR

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:11 pm

Yes, amongst the anger today is a feeling that there are small springs of green hope.

We would need a lot of good fortune if we were to stay up though: Foster needs to stay fit and in form.
Our defences needs to get organised and to start marking people.

But who knows?

Since weve gone 442 and put Berge in the heart of midfield we haven't been as bad as we were in the opening 2 months.

Hope springs eternal.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:12 pm

With you JDR 👍🙂👍

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 pm

So how do we face the next FIVE months? 🥴😆

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:25 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 pm
So how do we face the next FIVE months? 🥴😆
For me it will be beers with family and friends before the game, lots of singing and support, encouraging the players especially those who are scapegoats, hoping VK learns from his mistakes, comparing now to the awful rubbish I have witnessed in past times and just trying to enjoy the ride,hopefully with a couple of signings.
UTC.
These 5 users liked this post: Bosscat NewClaret Taffy on the wing BleedingClaret evensteadiereddie

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:30 pm

Since the Everton game, I too have been struggling with the idea that the season is all but over for us in December. The Fulham win gave me some renewed hope, but seeing Forest win the previous two whilst we’ve lost them both has snatched it away again.

I’m angry that the club employed a strategy that put the development of young players above the need for immediate results to retain PL status. Massive mistakes were made and seemingly nobody at the club were able to recognise what sort of squad was needed to properly compete.

Nevertheless, we’ve got 5 months now where only a miracle will see us survive. As a teacher, I always reprimand myself when I catch myself wishing my life away for the next holiday. I’m going to have to do the same now, and not wish my life away in anticipation of the next season starting where we’ll have something to play for again. There are signs that the team are learning and hopefully that continues.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:34 pm

Some players are starting to come good.

The big worry is that they’ll be off in the summer when we drop and the rebuild has to start all over again.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:36 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:02 pm
I always look for a positive in any conversation relating to BFC and right now, it’d be very easy to throw the towel in on the season.

I started supporting Burnley in 1992…a good season to start, albeit with a low bar. Ever since then, the trend has very much been an upward trajectory, but more, every season has gone to the wire and with the exception of perhaps one (our 28 point second half of the season in Dwight’s debut season), it has rarely felt like this at the halfway stage: cut adrift.

That said, and here’s the paradox, or so to speak…whilst my expectation now is that we’re going to go down, with eighteen games to go, I see a side before my eyes that is getting better and better with every game. In some respects, I’m enjoying the evolution, whilst also acknowledging that I feel mistakes were made (a few too many summer signings and not building around last season’s title winning side more).

We’re not Premier League standard (yet) and the league table doesn’t lie, but there are green shoots of some really good things developing. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I do envisage a second half to the season that will, hopefully aided by a few January signings, eclipse our opening 20 game total. I can see a scenario where we possibly get relegated after having ‘established’ ourselves at Premier League level.

So how do we go about trying to enjoy the rest of the season, when the outlook in the short term, doesn’t look too great?

Or do we dare to dream? Regardless, I sincerely hope that we can manage to keep hold of a good number of our exciting signings, even if one of two have to be moved on under our moneyball model.

Roll on Luton! And here’s to the most wonderful second half of a season that’s possibly imaginable.

UTC
Agreed. There's been real progression over the course of the season. The frustrating thing is we are close to being a good side, we just have a few weak links that are stopping us from going to the next step which is a shame and its unlikely we will be able to sign much in Jan, so we may never see the full potential of this team.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5087 times
Has Liked: 6902 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:47 pm

Also hoping the million pounds plus we have spent will start to really materialise on the pitch.

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:53 pm

The greenest of our shoots will be sold in the summer and then we are back to square one building yet another new team.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:53 pm
The greenest of our shoots will be sold in the summer and then we are back to square one building yet another new team.
Not quite because we have a huge squad now, we must have 30 first team players (when you include those out on loan like Twine, Weghorst, McNally, Dara, Bastien and Mellon)

We might lose 5 or so but we’ve quite a lot of talent in reserve especially at Championship level. We could lose JBL, JBG, Odobert and Koleosho, we’d still have Zaroury Churlinov Ramsey Benson Twine Dara Redmond Tresor.

If we lose Beyer and McNally we still have Ekdal, Dara, Delcroix and Al Dakhil.

The only real position we’d be short on is if Jay and Foster went we’d need a new starting striker and a back up to go with Obafemi and hopefully Mellon.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Kilson810

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm
Not quite because we have a huge squad now, we must have 30 first team players (when you include those out on loan like Twine, Weghorst, McNally, Dara, Bastien and Mellon)

We might lose 5 or so but we’ve quite a lot of talent in reserve especially at Championship level. We could lose JBL, JBG, Odobert and Koleosho, we’d still have Zaroury Churlinov Ramsey Benson Twine Dara Redmond Tresor.

The only real position we’d be short on is if Jay and Foster went we’d need a new starting striker and a back up to go with Obafemi and hopefully Mellon.
I like McNally (can't believe we are watching someone like Delcroix pass the ball to the opposition repeatedly whilst he is out on loan in fact) and let's see about Mellon, he looks promising but league 2 to championship is a massive jump.

Weghorst never plays for us again, Twine isn't even starting for Hull, Bastien and Churlinov couldn't get more than 5 mins last season and Dara doesn't even start for St Johnstone.

I think you can add Amdouni, Tresor and brownhill to the list of players we lose, potentially Benson and zaroury as well (but who knows what is happening with them).

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 pm

Good post you can respect the light & positivity but equally it should also be respected that some people can only see doom & darkness regarding the future.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm

Weghorst never plays for us again, Twine isn't even starting for Hull, Bastien and Churlinov couldn't get more than 5 mins last season and Dara doesn't even start for St Johnstone.

These are exactly the players we want to leave (decent but not right standard) with cork and jay (after great service). After that there needn’t be a fire sale like last time.

Couple will be sold and a couple may be loaned for a year.

We’ve purposely signed young and talented on long contracts for a reason, they’re here to learn and develop until they hit their ceiling values, none will go cheap.

……. If we’re relegated (which looks likely). If we’re not it’s a different conversation but the first to leave will still be the same names.
These 3 users liked this post: claretgimmer NewClaret mybloodisclaret

Kilson810

Post by Kilson810 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 pm

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 pm
These are exactly the players we want to leave (decent but not right standard) with cork and jay (after great service). After that there needn’t be a fire sale like last time.

Couple will be sold and a couple may be loaned for a year.

We’ve purposely signed young and talented on long contracts for a reason, they’re here to learn and develop until they hit their ceiling values, none will go cheap.

……. If we’re relegated (which looks likely). If we’re not it’s a different conversation but the first to leave will still be the same names.
Oh I agree, get rid of all of them. They offer little return for their wages.

I do disagree about the fire sale though, although I don't think we necessarily need to sell, we know that if we are offered a decent price then Pace will sell and that isn't to mention if players don't want to drop down a league. Hopefully we have relegation wage clauses or else there is a fire sale for sure.

The original point was that I think we will lose our greenest shoots in the summer, so we are going to have to rebuild the squad next season, yet again.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:47 pm

You're correct JD there are green shoots and that's why the majority of match going fans are still well onside with this team and manager.

As long as we carry on having a go and showing a bit of fight, then there's no reason not to keep on backing them.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:15 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 pm
Good post you can respect the light & positivity but equally it should also be respected that some people can only see doom & darkness regarding the future.
Of course. It’s an unbelievably tough grind at present.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:25 pm

This was I believe a three year plan and we`re only two years into it so personally I think as Holtyclaret says the older end and fringe players will be moved on, there will be enough players in those retained to have championship experience, possibly one or two maybe sold if the right offers come in but also a year in the championship (possibly) with a smaller squad would give the players a chance to gel without the pressure of the prem and hopefully if promoted go back to the prem better prepared and hopefully a more settled team for what`s to come knowing what will be expected, their values may actually increase as part of a successful championship team rather than a relegated prem team. UTC

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:53 pm

How do we enjoy the rest of the season ?
Very good question.

Thinking about it , there are 3 different viewpoints of seeing out the remainder of the games.
Obviously the OP was talking about the fans point of view.
AP will have his view and no doubt VK will have his hopes and thoughts.
From a fans point of view, we want to see a few wins, a glimmer of hope and more great performances from the likes of Lyle and Odobert. We need a hero.
Haven't got a clue on AP's second half of season thoughts, but I think VKs substitution of Amdouni for Ramsey gave us an insight into how he thinks.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with the game at 2-2, do you play for a draw, go for the win ?
Bringing on Ramsey was one for VK not the team.

Hope we go down fighting.

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:56 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 pm
Oh I agree, get rid of all of them. They offer little return for their wages.

I do disagree about the fire sale though, although I don't think we necessarily need to sell, we know that if we are offered a decent price then Pace will sell and that isn't to mention if players don't want to drop down a league. Hopefully we have relegation wage clauses or else there is a fire sale for sure.

The original point was that I think we will lose our greenest shoots in the summer, so we are going to have to rebuild the squad next season, yet again.
Not rebuild as squad will largely remain. The first eleven will certainly change but it’s a wholly different relegation we’re facing than last time, we’re building something, not starting from scratch and there isn’t the immediate financial necessity to sell most of our starlets.

All our players have a price but none will go cheap.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:00 am

Realised that the game stood at 2 - 1 when Ramsey came on.
Which makes the substitution more understandable , but we were being pummelled at the time.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:26 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:56 pm
Not rebuild as squad will largely remain. The first eleven will certainly change but it’s a wholly different relegation we’re facing than last time, we’re building something, not starting from scratch and there isn’t the immediate financial necessity to sell most of our starlets.

All our players have a price but none will go cheap.
You can't say that with certainty because you don't know the individual player contractual conditions. Certain release clauses might come to light we don't even know about.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:04 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 pm

Very good post and spot on.

I’ve just read that our wage bill according to Sportex is £35m. With many of the highest earners - Jay, JBG, Cork, Charlie OOC in the summer. Therefore, feasibly, you could knock a good chunk of that off. IF that’s true it’s very feasible that we retain them all next year in the championship.

Some we may need to accept offers for, but having only signed them last year that will only be if very big offers come in which will benefit us

This year I don’t think we have a big relegation debt repayment to consider, and certainly not a massive squad rebuild. We’d hit the ground running much better than we did last season.

Fears of a fire sale are well overplayed, I think.
These 4 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing Holtyclaret yosserhughes Darnhill Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:09 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 pm
I imagine they’re the ones that see doom and darkness in their general lives and are natural pessimists. Which is fine, I just don’t see the need to cloud a positive thread with pessimism - there’s loads of others available for that (nearly every other one, in fact).
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing evensteadiereddie

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:11 am

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:25 pm
For me it will be beers with family and friends before the game, lots of singing and support, encouraging the players especially those who are scapegoats, hoping VK learns from his mistakes, comparing now to the awful rubbish I have witnessed in past times and just trying to enjoy the ride,hopefully with a couple of signings.
UTC.
Absolutely spot on. This team need and deserve our fullest support more than ever. If we back this young team and manager, stay together as one, they’ll repay us.

Let’s do our bit.
These 3 users liked this post: Ampth7 Holtyclaret Darnhill Claret

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:19 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:09 am
I imagine they’re the ones that see doom and darkness in their general lives and are natural pessimists. Which is fine, I just don’t see the need to cloud a positive thread with pessimism - there’s loads of others available for that (nearly every other one, in fact).
I did say that I respected the post sentiments & on this particular thread I've left negativity well alone & I will continue to do so respectfully observing the threads intentions.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:26 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:04 am
Very good post and spot on.

I’ve just read that our wage bill according to Sportex is £35m. With many of the highest earners - Jay, JBG, Cork, Charlie OOC in the summer. Therefore, feasibly, you could knock a good chunk of that off. IF that’s true it’s very feasible that we retain them all next year in the championship.

Some we may need to accept offers for, but having only signed them last year that will only be if very big offers come in which will benefit us

This year I don’t think we have a big relegation debt repayment to consider, and certainly not a massive squad rebuild. We’d hit the ground running much better than we did last season.

However, surely one of the lessons from this season is the value of having some experience? Losing Jay, JBG, Cork, Chaz etc would need to be carefully replaced with a few leaders with experience?

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:29 am

I wouldnt want to lose Cork regardless of what division we are in. He could be vital next season as one of the last remaining bits of experience in the changing room and he is the type of personality i would hope we can keep in a coaching position when hes finished playing.
This user liked this post: Ampth7

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 am

jdrobbo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:02 pm

That said, and here’s the paradox, or so to speak…whilst my expectation now is that we’re going to go down, with eighteen games to go, I see a side before my eyes that is getting better and better with every game. In some respects, I’m enjoying the evolution, whilst also acknowledging that I feel mistakes were made (a few too many summer signings, not investing enough in the defence, and not building around last season’s title winning side more).

UTC
John, I couldn’t agree more (apart from one point).

I’ve been saying for a while to my son that the annoying thing about this year will be that in the end we’ll look a very decent PL team but it’ll be too late.

We’re down. There will be no miracles now unless Everton go in to Admin and even then I struggle to see it.

Where to lay blame? I think it’ll be a mixture of:

- A little too much youth in our summer signings & not enough experience, noting I don’t think experience is easy to find, attract or afford.

- The time needed to bed these in.

- Some bad luck with injuries/illness and suspensions in key games (Foster, Beyer, Koleosho, etc).

- Some pretty terrible luck and bad VAR decisions.

I don’t think failing to build aroun last years team was the reason. As I point out constantly, 3 of last years regulars were loanees, 2 of whom went for £20m and the third didn’t want to come. I’d say only Muric and Benson were regular starters in last years team, one has been injured. Zaroury possibly but I think he was poor post WC and also when he’s come on this year.

I find the constant “who can we catch” threads really tiresome because I think we’re down and there’s little point dwelling on it. But I’ll still enjoy the rest of the season watching this team and young players develop.

Thats what it all needs to be about now - giving them all the experience we can, making them better and better for next year. And us backing them to the hilt as they’ll repay us.
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret Darnhill Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:38 am

Ampth7 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:26 am
However, surely one of the lessons from this season is the value of having some experience? Losing Jay, JBG, Cork, Chaz etc would need to be carefully replaced with a few leaders with experience?
I think you can probably get away with less experience in the champ more than the prem, but yes I agree it’s something we need to retain.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:42 am

spot on JD

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:11 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:26 am
You can't say that with certainty because you don't know the individual player contractual conditions. Certain release clauses might come to light we don't even know about.
“Always look on the bright side of life “
Repeat after me ………
These 3 users liked this post: yosserhughes NewClaret Darnhill Claret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:23 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:04 am
we have loads of money, we won't be giving players away this summer
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret boatshed bill

Holtyclaret

Post by Holtyclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:30 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:26 am
None of us can really say anything with absolute certainty as we’re not privy to all the facts etc..

Some will leave, some will be loaned for a year but most will remain. They’ll also be a natural cull each year of those not quite up to the standard.

In general terms we’ve no need to be bullied on price, bit like Southampton last summer.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:08 am

I accepted relegation after the Chelsea game, but it's the hope that kills you.
We bought some great players that still need moulding into a great team, but the signs are there.
Just enjoy the transition and cheer them to the rafters.

yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by yosserhughes » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:32 am

Great thread JD.

UTC

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by leelad » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:33 am

Good post JD.
I try and look at the Claret glass as being half full instead of empty and that has been tough to do that of late. Our chances of PL survival are remote now. I agree that some of the team are starting to improve and show the early signs of becoming PL players, but at the end of the day I can see a potential relegation meaning that VK will again choose to rebuild the squad and again we will be looking at additions coming in during the Summer.
For the here and now and with January on the horizon, what would get me optimistic about the remaining months of the season is that we look to buy or build the squad around proven PL experienced players. Our Summer transfer strategy was lacking in this area and yes I know we will be paying over the odds to look at buying these type of players in January and in the summer. But that's we need, a spine running through the squad of players who have been there and done it in the prem and can bring the younger players in our squad further on. We need leaders on the pitch, we had some of these with SD at the helm. We have flair players, but too many of them. Start trimming the fat and work out VK who is your best 11 instead of chopping and changing. I'm not expecting us to come straight back up should we get relegated but we need a team in this league with that mix of experience and youth for me if I'm honest. I've rambled there, but hopefully some of that makes sense! UTC.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:40 am

I’m not sure Kompany’s here to build a new team every season. I’d like to think that talk of a fire sale is well wide of the mark.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:47 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:30 am
None of us can really say anything with absolute certainty as we’re not privy to all the facts etc..

Some will leave, some will be loaned for a year but most will remain. They’ll also be a natural cull each year of those not quite up to the standard.

In general terms we’ve no need to be bullied on price, bit like Southampton last summer.
It never stopped you.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:33 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:23 am
I REALLY hope you’re right Vegas.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:37 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:33 am
I REALLY hope you’re right Vegas.
The thing Vegas doesn’t consider is will the players want championship football.

That’s a different kettle of fish

thehistorylecturer58
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by thehistorylecturer58 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:58 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
'Loads of money'

Time will tell on that one ..

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:00 am

I highly doubt we have ‘loads of money’ while also highly doubting we absolutely need a fire sale of players and complete squad rebuild. As ever, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.
This user liked this post: thehistorylecturer58

thehistorylecturer58
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by thehistorylecturer58 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:04 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:00 am
I highly doubt we have ‘loads of money’ while also highly doubting we absolutely need a fire sale of players and complete squad rebuild. As ever, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.
I would imagine so

Gordaleman
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 605 times

Post by Gordaleman » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:23 am

One thing we have to look forward to next season is hopefully the lack of VAR. (Unless it's brought into the Championship.)

No multiple different versions of handball or waiting five minutes to determine if a fingernail was offside before being able to celebrate a goal.

Can't wait.

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:34 am

Apart from us not in a winning form, all our relegation rivals are picking up good results (except Blades) and the gap is getting bigger and wider.
Played some good soccer yesterday and the squad is gelling well at last. Foster has to stay injury free for our survival.
All is not lost at all...19 games to go yet....let's hope it's a very very Happy New Year for club.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:44 am

If 35 points keeps us up 8 wins will do it. Looking at how well the team is playing and especially fosters form it is possible. I am looking forward to the rollercoaster ride.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:55 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
We have loads of money? What are you basing this on?

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:03 am

I always predict the remaining 19 results at the half way stage. I have us to finish on 45 points but admit to being slightly optimistic :lol: :lol:
However, after the result yesterday, when I predicted a draw, my total has been reduced to 44 points :D :D
These 2 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret simonclaret