Benson to Southampton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Re: Benson to Southampton

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:10 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:02 pm
Mauric, Zaroury and Benson are all fragile players and easily intimidated.
All three are in the shop window as a result.
Just b0llocks that though isn't it

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:10 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:09 pm
If we get relegated, many feel its a given we come straight back up. However last year Benson, Tella and Zarroury were sensational and between them scored lots of goals and ensured we won the large number of games we did. All three assisted and also knew where the net was. How do we know Redmond, Larson, Odobert, Koleosho, Tresor will be as effective
Because they are better players?
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:12 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:10 pm
Really?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:12 pm
Really?
Well yes, which is why they are getting game time. With the possible exceptions, Redmond and JBL.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:18 pm

Good move if we use him as a sweetener to lure Adams.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:15 pm
Well yes, which is why they are getting game time. With the possible exceptions, Redmond and JBL.
Collectively the 5 players you have mentioned have 8 goal contributions in 67 Apps.

None of them really been particularly impressive or shown anything to suggest there better than better than benson

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:26 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pm
Collectively the 5 players you have mentioned have 8 goal contributions in 67 Apps.

None of them really been particularly impressive or shown anything to suggest there better than better than benson

I didn't mention them, it was Warksclaret.
But if you really believe that Benson is being left out arbitrarily hen that's fine with me.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:27 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 pm
He’s obviously not ‘injured’ then. I used to know what players were available but everything is so secretive now. Wouldn’t be surprised if Benson and Zaroury’s noses have be put out of joint by being binned off after the efforts they put in last season.
Which probably means they won't be as useful in the Championship if we do go down. Would they have the same mentality as last season knowing full well they'll be cast aside after getting promoted? Somehow I doubt it.

It kind of begs the question why we didn't just sell them in the summer when their stock was higher.
These 2 users liked this post: Pearcey Wo Didi

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:38 pm

Zaroury for me has the ability to play in the prem. maybe a few adjustments required I don’t want to see hik go . As much as I’d love Benny to stay and show us his capabilities, I think if you couple his fitness problems, age and lack of strength together this will be the deciding factor in any decision made.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:41 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:27 pm
Which probably means they won't be as useful in the Championship if we do go down. Would they have the same mentality as last season knowing full well they'll be cast aside after getting promoted? Somehow I doubt it.

It kind of begs the question why we didn't just sell them in the summer when their stock was higher.
I think VK was nieve and thought Benson would cope in the PL until he saw him brushed aside in the Villa match ( 2nd game)

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:56 pm

Benson. Last season was his best ever at age 27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Benson

Can he get better? Doubtful. Can he play at Premier League level. Unlikely. If we can get good money for him now is the time to sell.

Zaroury. Impressive start last season but post World Cup I thought he was poor by the standards he set. He's only 23 though. Perhaps he would be good enough in The Championship but we haven't seen enough of him this year to know how he'll do at Premier League level. I'm doubtful and feel if we get a good offer we should sell.

We also have to consider Twine and McNally. Clearly promotion was too early for them. Both are playing regularly in The Championship. I don't know if Twine is up to our current standard but we could probably use McNally with our current crop of injuries. I think he might be a bit ponderous for The Prem though.

Then there's Cullen. A key player last season but doesn't seem up to Prem levels. We've improved since he hasn't played. If he can't be re-coached in some way I see no point in keeping him. It might be said that he will be useful back in The Championship but I see no point in building another team around him when he can't perform at the highest level.

There are other players that seem to be a waste of space: Churlinov and loanees like Bastien, Peacock-Farrell and Weghorst.

And what's with Obafemi. I wondered why he never got much game time last season and was told 'he was bought for the Premier League'. Well, where is he?

And I've not mentioned the old guard - Cork and Rodriguez. Or Roberts for that matter. None of them really good enough now.

There we are. Sort that lot out!
Last edited by Hipper on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:56 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:19 pm

the guy with 4 Premier League titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 89 international caps thinks they are. Pretty sure he knows more about it than every single one of us on here

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:59 pm

Hipper wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:56 pm

Can he get better? Doubtful. Can he play at Premier League level. Unlikely. If we can get good money for him now is the time to sell.

Zaroury. Impressive start last season but post World Cup I thought he was poor by the standards he set. He's only 23 though. Perhaps he would be good enough in The Championship but we haven't seen enough of him this year to know how he'll do at Premier League level. I'm doubtful and feel if we get a good offer we should sell.

We also have to consider Twine and McNally. Clearly promotion was too early for them. Both are playing regularly in The Championship. I don't know if Twine is up to our current standard but we could probably use McNally with our current crop of injuries. I think he might be a bit ponderous for The Prem though.

Then there's Cullen. A key player last season but doesn't seem up to Prem levels. We've improved since he hasn't played. If he can't be re-coached in some way I see no point in keeping him. It might be said that he will be useful back in The Championship but I see no point in building another team around him when he can't perform at the highest level.

There are other players that seem to be a waste of space: Churlinov and loanees like Bastien, Peacock-Farrell and Weghorst.

And what's with Obafemi. I wondered why he never got much game time last season and was told 'he was bought for the Premier League'. Well, where is he?

And I've not mentioned the old guard - Cork and Rodriguez. Or Roberts for that matter. None of them really good enough now.

This is a fair appraisal.
In a way we (our squad from last season) are victims of their own success.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:00 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
the guy with 4 Premier League titles, 2 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 89 international caps thinks they are. Pretty sure he knows more about it than every single one of us on here
If that’s the barometer than Alex Ferguson must have been **** at picking a player
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret morpheus2

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:03 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Are we really still trotting this tired line out :roll:

How’s that working out for Rooney at Birmingham?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:06 pm

Probably also worth commenting that there are actually better wingers than Manuel Benson out there. Same style of play, younger, better fitness and more ability - it’s up to the recruitment team to identify them.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:10 pm

MOD: Attack on another poster which also included unaccaptable language. The poster has been issued with a warning.
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret StayingDown4Ever

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:10 pm
ok, let's hear your vast football experience that makes you more qualified than Kompany ? 10 seasons on football manager ?. I know it's a message board so encourages conversation but anyone on here suggesting they know more about football than Kompany is a ******* plank
Nobody has suggested that, but just calm it down a bit eh?

Absolutely no need for the swearing and personal abuse.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:26 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:15 pm
Nobody has suggested that, but just calm it down a bit eh?

Absolutely no need for the swearing and personal abuse.
So you are suggesting that someone who thinks they know more about football on a message board than a professional manager isn't a plank ? Your classification of 'abuse' is pathetic. I suggest you add me to your foe list

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:28 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:26 pm
So you are suggesting that someone who thinks they know more about football on a message board than a professional manager isn't a plank ? Your classification of 'abuse' is pathetic. I suggest you add me to your foe list
Literally not one person has suggested that haha

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:26 pm
As I've said to my students lots of times over the years, try to disagree with people without calling them names.

I don't have a foe list as I'm happy to keep seeing yours and everyone else's posts.

Happy New Year Vegas. Try to make it a peaceful one.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:30 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:28 pm
Literally not one person has suggested that haha
google what 'inference' means

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Post by burnmark » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:30 pm

Nixon reporting we have turned down the bid, aren’t keen on selling and reluctant to do business with Southampton after the dealings over Tella in the summer.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill mybloodisclaret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:33 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:29 pm
As I've said to my students lots of times over the years, try to disagree with people without calling them names.

I don't have a foe list as I'm happy to keep seeing yours and everyone else's posts.

Happy New Year Vegas. Try to make it a peaceful one.
I thought I was being kind by using the word plank :D You are right of course though, I've called people out for doing the same to others. Apologies lads
These 3 users liked this post: ksrclaret CoolClaret Hipper

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:39 pm

burnmark wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:30 pm
Nixon reporting we have turned down the bid, aren’t keen on selling and reluctant to do business with Southampton after the dealings over Tella in the summer.
That would also rule out any prospect of a bid for Che Adams which is another rumour doing the rounds on here.

Two birds (bids) killed off with one stone. :lol:

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:40 pm

burnmark wrote:
Shows its best to know the facts before going off on one

jojomk1
Been Liked: 851 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:40 pm

Whilst he had an excellent first season in the Championship I believe he would have struggled in the Prem
Show him down the line onto his right foot and he is nowhere near as effective - just like JBG
Teams would no doubt also suss him out next season in the Championship
We have to get rid of some of this herd of wingers we have, so we might as well maximise some income from selling a few of them whilst they have value

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 pm

burnmark wrote:
This puts a different twist on it. I wonder if its been leaked from Benson's end. It might be a smart move for him, they possibly have a better chance of playing PL football than us next season and i'm guessing he'd get a hell of a lot more minutes for them than he is doing for us at the moment.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:42 pm

Hipper wrote:

Got to remember last year we were at the very beginning of building a new squad. We were low on numbers and needed a fresh start. Did we expect to go up first time of asking, apparently not. This then meant we had to then try and find another level of player just one summer later. Not every signing is a success, for varying reasons.

We also have in mind a process to sell players on for profits to try and become more sustainable , and we have clearly attacked that this summer with various signings.

With lots of young players this struggle was clearly expected by VK with comments he made early season. We do deserve a few more points on the board and it has been very frustrating to see .

Would I have like to see Benson and Zaroury given a fair shot at it? Yes of course, but if they aren’t up to standard st the moment then a solution has to be found.

We are still building but currently find ourselves at the top table, for how much longer remains to be seen but we still don’t have that settled squad feel which may take a little longer into the process.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:43 pm

Strange as that Sacha bloke is usually the most reliable journalist when it comes to the futures of Belgian players.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:43 pm
Strange as that Sacha bloke is usually the most reliable journalist when it comes to the futures of Belgian players.
he is excellent BUT he was wrong on a few in the summer (not just for us), impossible to be right all of the time with transfers though.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:43 pm
I get the feeling he has a strong link to Benson's agent

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:48 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:47 pm
he is excellent BUT he was wrong on a few in the summer (not just for us), impossible to be right all of the time with transfers though.
Sounds like Southampton have put a bid in, so wasn't all wrong

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:10 pm
ok, let's hear your vast football experience that makes you more qualified than Kompany ? 10 seasons on football manager ?. I know it's a message board so encourages conversation but anyone on here suggesting they know more about football than Kompany is a ******* plank
Just making things up now?

Half don’t know if you’re on the windup at times Vegas or at least a bit hypocritical.

Seems like it’s absolutely fair game for you to criticise certain aspects about the club but anyone else with a differing critical views, then it’s ’a f***ing plank who thinks they know more than the manager’.

C’mon now….

HNY

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:33 pm
I thought I was being kind by using the word plank :D You are right of course though, I've called people out for doing the same to others. Apologies lads
Didn’t see this before my retort -

No hard feelings of course!
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:51 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:50 pm
Didn’t see this before my retort -

No hard feelings of course!
:D never mate, not worth holding on to stuff posted on here
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:11 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:10 pm
Why not give it a rest !

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:19 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:11 pm
Why not give it a rest !
Why not use a question mark?
Happy New Year to you.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:22 pm

Guys just for 1 night please 🙏
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:23 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:19 pm
Why not use a question mark?
Happy New Year to you.
Mmmmmmmm....... ?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:28 pm

Loan him? No problem. Sell? Only if we stay up. Clearly the club feel similarly if Nixon is correct.

We know where we’re likely to be next season - here’s to another 30 odd sub appearances from Benny after Tresor, Koleosho and Zaroury have tired our opponents out (I reckon we’ll sell Odobert).

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:41 pm

Hipper wrote:

About sums it it correctly.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 762 times
Has Liked: 1855 times

Post by morpheus2 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:42 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:49 pm
Just making things up now?

Half don’t know if you’re on the windup at times Vegas or at least a bit hypocritical.

Seems like it’s absolutely fair game for you to criticise certain aspects about the club but anyone else with a differing critical views, then it’s ’a f***ing plank who thinks they know more than the manager’.

C’mon now….

HNY
I'm definitely not going to complain about the atrocious cold/burned/overpriced/nomealdeals catering in the concourse because I'm not a catering manager, I couldn't do better (I did however play on Fast Food 4 on PC for a year or two)

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:43 pm

I think Obafemi was a relatively cheap punt for us

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:47 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:41 pm
This puts a different twist on it. I wonder if its been leaked from Benson's end. It might be a smart move for him, they possibly have a better chance of playing PL football than us next season and i'm guessing he'd get a hell of a lot more minutes for them than he is doing for us at the moment.
If The Saints didn’t rate Tella before he came to us I can’t image Benson would be on their radar.

thelifeofbrian
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by thelifeofbrian » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 pm

No need to Keep Benson, we have Ramsey and Tresor who clearly are miles ahead in ability .

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:05 pm

thelifeofbrian wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 pm
No need to Keep Benson, we have Ramsey and Tresor who clearly are miles ahead in ability .
Hope you were being sarcastic there.😂

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:12 pm

Are we finally collecting that £40,000,000 everyone was saying we’d get for him?

Throw in Zaroury as well and let’s collect £80,000,000

😆😆😆

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:14 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:05 pm
:(

Not sure that I'm a fan of 'this model'.

Don't want to be a club that moves players on every other year - hard to get behind a new team every 12-24 month.

Really hammers home that we're commercial first, football second.. not for me
Exactly where I’m at.

I’ve always taken a rather dim view of clubs that discarded players that helped them get promoted. I heavily disliked the Watford multi club approach with Udinese, and the back alley deals, but really, we’re no better now.

I’ve always felt, as a club, we had a bit of class. We never hired and fired managers, and we always had a pretty stable squad year on year.

We have a connection to the club, in part, because of the players that pull on the shirt. We all have our greats down the years. I can be driving to work and I’ll suddenly think about Glen slaloming through the Bristol Rovers defence or Gnohere playing a delightful 1-2 to score a late winner at Deepdale. I probably cheered that little bit harder too, because it was scored by a player that I had built a connection with.

This ‘moneyball’ approach will put an end to all that. We’re nothing more than a glorified cattle market.

I may be going slightly OTT on this, but it’s a strength of feeling I have, and I know one a lot of others share too.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:24 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:14 pm
Exactly where I’m at.

I’ve always taken a rather dim view of clubs that discarded players that helped them get promoted. I heavily disliked the Watford multi club approach with Udinese, and the back alley deals, but really, we’re no better now.

I’ve always felt, as a club, we had a bit of class. We never hired and fired managers, and we always had a pretty stable squad year on year.

We have a connection to the club, in part, because of the players that pull on the shirt. We all have our greats down the years. I can be driving to work and I’ll suddenly think about Glen slaloming through the Bristol Rovers defence or Gnohere playing a delightful 1-2 to score a late winner at Deepdale. I probably cheered that little bit harder too, because it was scored by a player that I had built a connection with.

This ‘moneyball’ approach will put an end to all that. We’re nothing more than a glorified cattle market.

I may be going slightly OTT on this, but it’s a strength of feeling I have, and I know one a lot of others share too.

It was the Bob Lord model. Bring ‘em in, bring them on and accept any decent bids, with their replacement ready. He’d have a grin like a Cheshire Cat given a season with today’s transfer market, in his day.
This user liked this post: Gerry Hattrick