Benson to Southampton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Re: Benson to Southampton

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:54 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 pm
I mean, which player is the same animal in the PL than the Champ? Point is he still has quality and skills that the others don't - he's far more than a cut inside and bend it top bins btw - put in some great crosses last year.

Not to mention, I'm pretty certain VK was saying he has 'PL quality' - though VK is slowly turning into a manager that comes out with tired old clichés
Players aren’t the same and he had quality in the championship which clearly the management team don’t think is or will be affective in the premier league, what’s why he’s not been utilised, the lack of work rate tracking back was there to be seen last season and that’s the main reason I personally think benson isn’t being used. I think the match day squad in the cup Friday night will tell us all we need to know

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:55 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:53 pm
That’s fine though, just use him as an impact sub then? We are regularly chasing games to either draw a game or to find a winner.

There are only three players in our squad that scored more than ten goals last season and we are letting one of them go.

I just can’t get over the fact we are persisting with players like Ramsay, Larsen, Tresor etc… who have by and large been poor at best.

You may disagree but I think questions have to start being asked of Vk and his team if he leaves. Even right now he would be starting every game for me if fit on the right wing. As no one this season has looked remotely decent on that wing
Benson simply would not suit the current 4-4-2 we are using. It needs disciplined wide players who can offer defensive qualities. JBG plays because of this but also as he tucks inside and plays narrow. Benson is a touchline hugging winger and we aren’t really playing with those this season.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:55 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
That’s fine though, just use him as an impact sub then? We are regularly chasing games to either draw a game or to find a winner.

There are only three players in our squad that scored more than ten goals last season and we are letting one of them go.

I just can’t get over the fact we are persisting with players like Ramsay, Larsen, Tresor etc… who have by and large been poor at best.

You may disagree but I think questions have to start being asked of Vk and his team if he leaves. Even right now he would be starting every game for me if fit on the right wing. As no one this season has looked remotely decent on that wing
17 goals missing from Tella and the 11 from Benson from the right...

Not expecting to have players that are that prolific in the PL, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why we may be struggling does it?...

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:58 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:54 pm
Players aren’t the same and he had quality in the championship which clearly the management team don’t think is or will be affective in the premier league, what’s why he’s not been utilised, the lack of work rate tracking back was there to be seen last season and that’s the main reason I personally think benson isn’t being used. I think the match day squad in the cup Friday night will tell us all we need to know
No worse at tracking back than Odobert or Trésor has been - just seems like lazy circular reasoning this like spt said.

Again, down a goal with 20 minutes left I wouldn't want any other player in our squad coming on to try and win a point.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:01 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:58 pm
No worse at tracking back than Odobert or Trésor has been - just seems like lazy circular reasoning this like spt said.

Again, down a goal with 20 minutes left I wouldn't want any other player in our squad coming on to try and win a point.
Merely stating what the management team could be thinking, not once said I think Odobert or Tresor track back well but there’s obviously a reason behind why he’s not featured since being back fit

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:01 pm
Merely stating what the management team could be thinking, not once said I think Odobert or Tresor track back well but there’s obviously a reason behind why he’s not featured since being back fit
That's fine, I don't necessarily think they're thinking anything but £££ signs in all honesty.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm

So it looks like the days of players gaining cult status amongst the fans ie. Blake, Mee, Barnes et al are well and truly over, sorry but that just doesn`t feel right, I as a fan feel that having players in the team who are longer term feel the same as fans do when it`s not going well are important to the team, these journeymen who have no affinity to the club will just think that if we fail and get relegated I will jump ship for a better option. It doesn`t bode well for the future. IMO

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:55 pm
Benson simply would not suit the current 4-4-2 we are using. It needs disciplined wide players who can offer defensive qualities. JBG plays because of this but also as he tucks inside and plays narrow. Benson is a touchline hugging winger and we aren’t really playing with those this season.
Ok that’s fine use him as an impact sub, I can’t literally think of anyone else in our squad that would impact a game of the bench.

I literally can’t believe so many Burnley fans are happy with this. We are one of the worst sides in prem history and one of our best players in last years side is leaving and no one cares.

Burnley must have the best PR team in the league

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm
That's fine, I don't necessarily think they're thinking anything but £££ signs in all honesty.
How? He’s been linked with a loan?

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

It’s about game states for me. Even if we’re behind in games there are very few teams who sit back and let us have the ball at this level, even when we’re at home. It’s usually about working hard out of possession and trying to muster quick attacks on the turnover. My opinion is that it’s not Benson’s game.

The best example in my view was the Boro home game last season. Benson started that game and Boro began by playing a mid block and high-ish line. The maintained it for about an hour to great success and Benson wasn’t effective. Then they inexplicably abandoned it and dropped deep - cue the Benson show.

Until we’re playing with far more quality than we have now, I just don’t see us making the most of Benson’s strengths.
Last edited by agreenwood on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm
Ok that’s fine use him as an impact sub, I can’t literally think of anyone else in our squad that would impact a game of the bench.

I literally can’t believe so many Burnley fans are happy with this. We are one of the worst sides in prem history and one of our best players in last years side is leaving and no one cares.

I think a lot do care though - just more don't like voicing an opinion in opposition to the line that the club trots out just incase they're deemed "less of a supporter"

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:07 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm
How? He’s been linked with a loan?
Still pay loan fee's and wage contributions, no?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:05 pm
It’s about game states for me. Even if we’re behind in games there are very few teams who sit back and let us have the ball at this level, even when we’re at home. It’s usually about working hard out of possession and trying to muster quick attacks on the turnover. My opinion is that it’s not Benson’s game.

The best example in my view was the Boro home game last season. Benson started that game and Boro began by playing a mid block and high-ish line. The maintained it for about an hour to great success and Benson wasn’t effective. Then they inexplicably abandoned it and dropped deep - cue the Benson show.

Until we’re playing with far more quality than we have now, I just don’t see us making the most of Benson’s strengths.
I agree with that to some extent, especially against top ten teams. But against the worse teams I think a lot of them have set back and there the games we need to be winning in this half of the season.

I look at the upcoming Luton game, can you honestly tell me you would prefer Larsen over Benson in that game
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:02 pm
It could well be just agent talk because benson wants to play but in the last 10 games he’s only been back fit since he made the bench against Everton, the games we have played have been better suited to the wingers that have played, I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get a do against spurs in the cup

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:11 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm

Stop overacting. Who doesn’t care? You’re mistaking understanding why it might happen with not caring. I’m sure lots of fans, like myself, think Benny is a little magician and would love nothing more than to see him begin replicating a few of last years showings in the PL for us.

Can we also save the “one of the worst sides in PL history” for a few more months?
This user liked this post: claret_in_exile

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:17 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 pm
I agree with that to some extent, especially against top ten teams. But against the worse teams I think a lot of them have set back and there the games we need to be winning in this half of the season.

I look at the upcoming Luton game, can you honestly tell me you would prefer Larsen over Benson in that game
Larsen who scored one of those game changing moments you mention benson doing against Luton away. Larsen has huge ability and it’s clear he will need 12 months to get to grips with pace of English football

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:23 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:17 pm
Larsen who scored one of those game changing moments you mention benson doing against Luton away. Larsen has huge ability and it’s clear he will need 12 months to get to grips with pace of English football
Larsen has by and large been very poor at this level (not to take anything away from that goal).

Benson is a better player than him and I reckon if you asked fans who would they rather have starting I suspect a vast majority would say Benson

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:23 pm
Larsen has by and large been very poor at this level (not to take anything away from that goal).

Benson is a better player than him and I reckon if you asked fans who would they rather have starting I suspect a vast majority would say Benson
I think the opposite, every time Larsen came on before Luton game he looked good, then had the Luton moment and didn’t play for a while, was very good against sheff united (yes they where poor) wolves game was to close to play, then he was one of the better players against Everton, kompany clear thinks Larsen works harder

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:30 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:07 pm
Still pay loan fee's and wage contributions, no?
Will be minimal won’t it?

A more logical thought process is surely

- Benson wants regular first team football
- we have a squad that’s maxed out at 25
- if we want to sign anyone (quite a few on this board have a list of around 2-5 positions) we need to ‘remove’ a few from the squad

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:40 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:30 pm
Will be minimal won’t it?

A more logical thought process is surely

- Benson wants regular first team football
- we have a squad that’s maxed out at 25
- if we want to sign anyone (quite a few on this board have a list of around 2-5 positions) we need to ‘remove’ a few from the squad
No not necessarily minimal at all.

A counter to that would be,

We only have a couple that can put the ball in the net, we don’t have many that can play off the right effectively and offer a threat.

May as well keep him and bring him off the bench..

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:56 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:07 pm
Did he actually say that?
I do remember VK saying that Benson had his doubters in Belgium.
Yes. He was walking away from a gathering of folk (board maybe) and said just that.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:58 pm

It's all a bit rose tinted isn't it. Of course he was great for us last season, he's had a bit of time ob the treatment bench but he's been fit for a couple of months now and can't get near the bench even.

Maybe he's not training well? Maybe he's not a positive fit in the dressing room?

People saying he's our best player and off it, there's at least 3 players in his position you'd pick first based on ability alone.

Hopefully goes on loan and comes back a better player

pureclaret
Been Liked: 435 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by pureclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:59 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:18 pm
Not to mention the fact we’ll probably be competing with Southampton next season as direct rivals!

WTAF x2
Only if they get promoted

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:02 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:28 pm
I think the opposite, every time Larsen came on before Luton game he looked good, then had the Luton moment and didn’t play for a while, was very good against sheff united (yes they where poor) wolves game was to close to play, then he was one of the better players against Everton, kompany clear thinks Larsen works harder
Bruun Larsen played well against Sheffield United but was appalling against Everton - his crossing was comical. He was dreadful against Fulham too and rightly got hooked not to be seen since.

I’d have Benson in over him all day long.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:27 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:58 pm
It's all a bit rose tinted isn't it. Of course he was great for us last season, he's had a bit of time ob the treatment bench but he's been fit for a couple of months now and can't get near the bench even.

Maybe he's not training well? Maybe he's not a positive fit in the dressing room?

People saying he's our best player and off it, there's at least 3 players in his position you'd pick first based on ability alone.

Hopefully goes on loan and comes back a better player
There is literally not one player I would have ahead of him.

All our current right wingers are poor

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:30 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:09 pm
It could well be just agent talk because benson wants to play but in the last 10 games he’s only been back fit since he made the bench against Everton, the games we have played have been better suited to the wingers that have played, I’d be amazed if he doesn’t get a do against spurs in the cup
Reports now suggesting a deal has been agreed for him to go on loan to Hull for the rest of the season. If true, he won’t be playing against Spurs.

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:31 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:27 pm

VK clearly doesn’t agree….

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:48 pm

Literally…..

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3807 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:24 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:29 pm
Just from what I have seen. It’s the same why I was saying last season that Foster will be good in the prem (even though his championship was poor).

Benson has all the attributes to be successful in the prem. like I said the negative side of me thinks the likes of Koleosho and Odobert are playing because we can get a better return on them.
Well they’re playing because of injuries to the likes of Benson…

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm

He skipped round Musselburgh today at odds or 9/2 for me. 🤛🤛👍👌

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6766 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm

Ampth7 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:30 pm
Reports now suggesting a deal has been agreed for him to go on loan to Hull for the rest of the season. If true, he won’t be playing against Spurs.
If true I doubt he'll play for Burnley again.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:31 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:27 pm

Always on the wind-up........Sad!

Ampth7

Post by Ampth7 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:00 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:51 pm
If true I doubt he'll play for Burnley again.
Agree.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:03 pm

The reality is that Benson appears to be 5th choice (either side, behind koleosho, JBL, JBG and tresor). I don't agree he should be 5th choice, but, in the eyes of the person who's opinion actually matters.....he is.

5th choice. 27 years old. Cost around £3m?

The way the club is now being ran, any profit on that £3m is exactly the plan.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm

Doubt a loan deal will be agreed with Hull for Benson. Makes little sense without a obligation to buy at a decent fee.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:16 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:06 pm
Doubt a loan deal will be agreed with Hull for Benson. Makes little sense without a obligation to buy at a decent fee.
unless we are trying to make room in the squad for a 'better' loan ourselves

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:21 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:24 pm
Has he even been injured? Do we genuinely know this for a fact?

Kilson810
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by Kilson810 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:23 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:24 pm
I thought the same, but why would he be going out on loan if he wasn't fit?

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:16 pm
unless we are trying to make room in the squad for a 'better' loan ourselves
Would be better options to achieve that

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm

taio wrote:
It does if we aren't going to use him for the next five months, this way he can put himself in the shop window to be sold at a profit in the summer.
I'd expect Churlinov and Zaroury to go too this window.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:25 pm

Kilson810 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:23 pm
I thought the same, but why would he be going out on loan if he wasn't fit?
He's been fit for at least 2 months. Fact
This user liked this post: Kilson810

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:28 pm

bumba wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm
It does if we aren't going to use him for the next five months, this way he can put himself in the shop window to be sold at a profit in the summer.
I'd expect Churlinov and Zaroury to go too this window.
We'll see if a straightforward loan deal gets agreed with Hull. I would hope we'd use him over the next five months.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:36 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:24 pm
Would be better options to achieve that
such as ? I think Ali-D, Zaroury, Benson need to go out on loan for sure as they aren't getting a look in

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:43 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:36 pm
such as ? I think Ali-D, Zaroury, Benson need to go out on loan for sure as they aren't getting a look in
Churlinov

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 pm

taio wrote:
Not if the club want him to return for the championship which in all likelihood that's where we'll be. It sounds like it's a short term arrangement to alleviate the wage burden.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:28 pm
We'll see if a straightforward loan deal gets agreed with Hull. I would hope we'd use him over the next five months.
I'd have him in before a few others that seem to get regular game time, he'd surely be a good option off the bench he's always good for a goal or changing a game.
It's a shame if he goes

taio

Post by taio » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:03 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:59 pm
Not if the club want him to return for the championship which in all likelihood that's where we'll be. It sounds like it's a short term arrangement to alleviate the wage burden.
Where have you heard that about alleviating the wage burden?

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:21 pm
Has he even been injured? Do we genuinely know this for a fact?
He was definitely injured after Salford game, saw him at turf Chelsea home game with a protective boot on and a big cream moncler jacket on

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:11 pm

Benson might not be great defensively but when he cuts in and scores from 25 yards time and time again I think we could possibly be ok without him defending too much ..

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:14 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:11 pm
Benson might not be great defensively but when he cuts in and scores from 25 yards time and time again I think we could possibly be ok without him defending too much ..
The best players in the world struggle to score from 25 yards out time and time again in the premier league, what makes you think benson would do it week in week out. What he did last season along with the rest of the team is unquestionable and the best I’ve seen and most fun as a Burnley fan but the premier league is a whole new level