Ian Wright on his time at Burnley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Ian Wright on his time at Burnley

Post by Stan Tastic » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:13 pm

Very complimentary of his time at Burnley. Go to the 51 minute mark on The Overlap in the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMyNk1Lpwo

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Re: Ian Wright on his time at Burnley

Post by bf2k » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm

He said he loved his time here before the Spurs game on ITV.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:41 pm

Good to hear he liked it so much at Turf Moor.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:49 pm

Yeah, before the Spurs game he highlighted how much he loved it here. Said it was the perfect place to finish his career, really good lads in the dressing room and Mitchell Thomas was one of his best mates at the time.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:57 pm

Just listened to it from 51st minute - thanks for the link.
Great stuff from Wrighty - pretty sure he said it was the best time of his career at Burnley !!
Don’t think he actually meant that it was better than his time at Arsenal but more that it was a really satisfying way to go out after a year of turmoil and being at a few other clubs after leaving Arsenal.
It’s great he always speaks so positively about us.

Ended up listening to the last 10 mins of the podcast and the debate about who in a club should have final say over transfers. Gary Neville was insisting that you had to choose one person - which was all a bit stupid and the others were quite rightly saying it’s usually a combined decision. But good old Gary was persistent in making them name just one person !!

claretburns
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:25 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:57 pm
Just listened to it from 51st minute - thanks for the link.
Great stuff from Wrighty - pretty sure he said it was the best time of his career at Burnley !!
Don’t think he actually meant that it was better than his time at Arsenal but more that it was a really satisfying way to go out after a year of turmoil and being at a few other clubs after leaving Arsenal.
It’s great he always speaks so positively about us.

Ended up listening to the last 10 mins of the podcast and the debate about who in a club should have final say over transfers. Gary Neville was insisting that you had to choose one person - which was all a bit stupid and the others were quite rightly saying it’s usually a combined decision. But good old Gary was persistent in making them name just one person !!
If you think the last 10 minutes of it was bad, I wouldn't recommend watching the whole episode, they banged on about it for 30 minutes at the beginning.

lewishamclaret
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by lewishamclaret » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:28 pm

Wrighty was interviewed by the No Nay Never podcast a couple of years ago and was hugely positive about his time at Burnley. (Mind you he probably knew his audience!) He said it was up there with the highlights of his career, and he was still in touch with many of the clarets he played with.

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:35 pm

I remember speaking to Wrighty in the kettledrum one Saturday after the game when was in with Chris Ternent and he was a very decent bloke happy to be there and to me was a football genius

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:38 pm

I'm glad he is being positive about the club now, he used to say he regretted playing for Burnley and dropping down to the 3rd tier.
He used to complain the players weren't on his level and couldn't spot his runs etc..

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:38 pm
I'm glad he is being positive about the club now, he used to say he regretted playing for Burnley and dropping down to the 3rd tier.
He used to complain the players weren't on his level and couldn't spot his runs etc..
Only heard him speak positively about his time at Burnley and not seen him say he ever regretted it.
As for the second point don’t know whether he complained about it necessarily but if he did say that then he would have been 100% correct.

One of my favourite signings ever as a Burnley fan - partly because it came completely out of the blue. I remember stopping the car on the main road just after Crawshawbooth on my way home from Manchester to listen to the breaking news on radio lancs sports at 6pm. I stopped the car as I didn’t want to lose the signal !

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:42 pm
Only heard him speak positively about his time at Burnley and not seen him say he ever regretted it.
As for the second point don’t know whether he complained about it necessarily but if he did say that then he would have been 100% correct.

One of my favourite signings ever as a Burnley fan - partly because it came completely out of the blue. I remember stopping the car on the main road just after Crawshawbooth on my way home from Manchester to listen to the breaking news on radio lancs sports at 6pm. I stopped the car as I didn’t want to lose the signal !
He was certainly an exciting signing and got the next few home games sold out in no time at all.

I don't have as good memories of his playing time as some others on the board. I was expecting a lot more from him.