Mike Tresor

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: Mike Tresor

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:42 pm
He is a good player it just doesn't work for him here
He is not good enough for the PL when we need him to be so. A signing that hasn't worked out.
I'm sure Kompany and the club are doing everything to make him feel at home but it isn't making a difference
These 2 users liked this post: Wokingclaret bfcjg

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:56 pm

Anthonini wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:49 am
I think more people in the world think Tresor is a better winger than JBG.
I freely admit I didn't see last night's game so can't judge on Tresor's appearance last night but JBG has created more goalscoring opportunities than anyone in our squad, they may not all have materialised into goals but he's our most productive creator.
Tresor has contributed naff all in all of his appearances combined, besides 1 or 2 good runs vs Liverpool, and 1 decent whipped corner.
I prefer Gudmundsson as a CM now but I'd play him wide over Tresor. I'd play Churlinov over Tresor, he's been a staggering disappointment.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL bobinho

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:20 pm
This site doesn't allow sub ratings on the players ratings thread, if less than 20 minutes.
Yet you call a 10 minute appearance as a display.

Did you really expect much from any sub coming on for a few minutes at the end on a freezing night?
Effort
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:44 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:22 pm
Just checked the stats because I detect the usual Burnley “anti flair player bias” on here.

Vitinho, Brownhill and Amdouni (somebody else ridiculed wrongly for this) were the only players to attempt more tackles than Tresor last night. He won one, missed two, OK, he isn’t very good at tackling, but to be accused of a lack of effort isn’t just thick and wrong, it is also insulting to our own player. In contrast, Foster, who I thought was total effort throughout despite not looking fully fit, attempted just one tackle. By the way Barkley tried eight, the most of anyone.

Obviously the wrong sub at the wrong time, him and Larsen only had 4 touches each and if we are letting Luton have the ball and sitting deep, they are the wrong players, but that is a totally different issue, and it didn’t cost us the game. The referee did.
What is the usual Burnley anti-flair player bias?

If you cast your mind back to last season, the vast majority of fans fell head over heels for a team packed with flair players, who delivered some of the best memories we'll ever have supporting this club.

But do you know what else those players had beyond flair? They had heart and desire. They bought into the club and the project and gave it their all, playing some brilliant attacking football in the process.

That's why there was such a strong connection between that team and the fans, and why there's barely any connection with some of these players.

Don't talk tosh about anti-flair player bias. It's purely the lack of effort and application that people won't accept.

Find all the stats you like but fans can spot a lazy player who can't be arsed when they see one.
These 11 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe nil_desperandum Bordeauxclaret xxmunkyennuixx Wo Didi bobinho Walton whiffa burnleymik CoolClaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:37 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:44 pm
What is the usual Burnley anti-flair player bias?

If you cast your mind back to last season, the vast majority of fans fell head over heels for a team packed with flair players, who delivered some of the best memories we'll ever have supporting this club.

But do you know what else those players had beyond flair? They had heart and desire. They bought into the club and the project and gave it their all, playing some brilliant attacking football in the process.

That's why there was such a strong connection between that team and the fans, and why there's barely any connection with some of these players.

Don't talk tosh about anti-flair player bias. It's purely the lack of effort and application that people won't accept.

Find all the stats you like but fans can spot a lazy player who can't be arsed when they see one.
Burnley fans love a “runner” as you well know.

I would argue that last season Maatsen, Tella and Benson were loved on the whole for their dynamic nature rather than their trickery. Zaroury isn’t quite like that and there was lots of whinging about him later in the season.

The other thing Burnley fans love is a “tackler” but that is going out of the game now, again as we all know.

There are exceptions to prove a rule - Robbie Blake, Glen Little. But by and large our historic players with trickery but not that raw speed tend to be distrusted by many fans (not all, and you should feel free to be in that group, as I do).

The bit I won’t tolerate though, is “supporters” calling out players for a lack of desire or effort, when the stats don’t bear that out and they have no idea what is in a player’s head. Somebody who dismisses the stats (e.g. Tresor’s 3 tackle attempts last night in just 9 minutes) in favour of what “fans can spot” is proving my point.

p.s. losing games doesn’t half make players look miserable, always has, always will. That is the big difference between this season and last. Pressure too. I’d suggest that is all people see when they wrongly accuse of lack of desire.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 74 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:29 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:37 pm
The bit I won’t tolerate though, is “supporters” calling out players for a lack of desire or effort, when the stats don’t bear that out and they have no idea what is in a player’s head. Somebody who dismisses the stats (e.g. Tresor’s 3 tackle attempts last night in just 9 minutes) in favour of what “fans can spot” is proving my point.
Define a tackle attempt. He made no serious effort to win the ball. It was pathetic. Dangling a leg out or being nearby a challenge is not a proper attempt. That statistic does not pass the eye test and that statistic if we use it as a focus will not build a team sufficiently competitive to be successful in any league competition. This has nothing to do with loving a runner or being anti-flair, it is about values and effective team building. We have some incredibly talented players but their work ethic is not acceptable. The contrast yesterday was sharp.

Anthonini
Been Liked: 208 times
Has Liked: 253 times

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:10 am

Mikey just ended 4th in the Belgian golden boot elections 🥳😝

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 am

In fairness to Tresor, we all know that it can take a season for foreign players to adapt to both the style of English football and the quality of the Premier League. Some players never quite make it in this league but fair better elsewhere.
Unfortunately, we don’t have that time and if he can eventually come good, it will either be for us in the Championship or for another team because he won’t want to stay. Championship it is then because who’s going to stump up £15 million quid?
I also think that he’s one of those who suddenly look a lot better when surrounded by better teammates who collectively dominate possession which isn’t going to happen when you’re losing every week.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 am

This is his Postman Pat video from before he signed

https://youtu.be/NfHh-GFAbV0?si=sEzzpT6SOAXGXnUx

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:28 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 am
This is his Postman Pat video from before he signed

https://youtu.be/NfHh-GFAbV0?si=sEzzpT6SOAXGXnUx
This worries me even more, he looks a totally different player. Where's that pace and energy gone, has he had a serious injury at some point?
i genuinely couldn't tell this was the same player from these clips, his whole running gait has changed

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 am

Always got the impression in the press that he didn't want to come and we were his last choice. It feels like that and the discovery he' have to be on top of his game in this league has led to a lack of application or maybe like some he was a one season wonder.
Whatever the reason for his lackluster season I hope he improves or at least we don't find ourselves having to buy him. Meanwhile I'll do my best to support him on the pitch.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:55 am

cblantfanclub wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 am
Always got the impression in the press that he didn't want to come and we were his last choice. It feels like that and the discovery he' have to be on top of his game in this league has led to a lack of application or maybe like some he was a one season wonder.
Whatever the reason for his lackluster season I hope he improves or at least we don't find ourselves having to buy him. Meanwhile I'll do my best to support him on the pitch.
We have bought him.

Jellybean
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Jellybean » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:11 am

Goliath I agree, he looks a completely different player, can't believe the energy on display as I've not seen that at all in our matches, it all just passes him by. I guess Kompany is persisting in the hope that at some point he comes to life but as others have said we don't have the luxury of time.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:15 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:52 pm
He is not good enough for the PL when we need him to be so. A signing that hasn't worked out.
I'm sure Kompany and the club are doing everything to make him feel at home but it isn't making a difference
No argument he hasn't produced what we expected, or needed, but the league has loads of quality players who took over a season to find their feet.
A new league, in a struggling team, in a multitude if formations, is it any wonder. The guy needs to be cut some slack.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 am

Remember, Foster wasn't anywhere near Championship level 6 months ago. And now could end up being our POTY

There's a player in Tresor, somewhere. Seems idiotic writing him off at this stage
These 2 users liked this post: Anthonini Colburn_Claret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:22 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 am
Remember, Foster wasn't anywhere near Championship level 6 months ago. And now could end up being our POTY

There's a player in Tresor, somewhere. Seems idiotic writing him off at this stage
it's not bad for us tbh, some players are written off before they even sign a contract !

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:24 am

Jellybean wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:11 am
Goliath I agree, he looks a completely different player, can't believe the energy on display as I've not seen that at all in our matches, it all just passes him by. I guess Kompany is persisting in the hope that at some point he comes to life but as others have said we don't have the luxury of time.
I genuinely didnt think it was him at one point. He looks more like your rapid, all action Koleosho type of winger in the clips.
Reminded me of when Gifton turned up at Burnley unable to run after wed seen clips of him being pretty rapid at previous clubs.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:29 am

Goliath wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:28 am
This worries me even more, he looks a totally different player. Where's that pace and energy gone, has he had a serious injury at some point?
i genuinely couldn't tell this was the same player from these clips, his whole running gait has changed
To think these are clips from 4-5 years ago when he was still playing at Willem II. For some reason his best footage from last season, which is by far his best so far, isn't on YouTube.

As mentioned above he's a great player for a dominant side that has possession of the ball. He's good at creating opportunities and giving through balls. Unfortunately we're running after the opponent more than anything.

In VK's defence, Lukebakio and Bakayoko are way better on the counter attack than Tresor who's more of a team player that needs movement around him.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:33 am

cblantfanclub wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 am
I actually think it's the other way around and he wanted to come from the get go. He also expressed his interest in Burnley at the start of the window. But I reckon VK wanted Lukebakio and mostly Bakayoko ahead of him. Which makes Tresor third choice and I think he was a bit disappointed with this. Therefore maybe he had second thoughts about coming to Burnley.

Still a great technician that will become a good player for us.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am

Anthonini wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:29 am
To think these are clips from 4-5 years ago when he was still playing at Willem II. For some reason his best footage from last season, which is by far his best so far, isn't on YouTube.

As mentioned above he's a great player for a dominant side that has possession of the ball. He's good at creating opportunities and giving through balls. Unfortunately we're running after the opponent more than anything.

In VK's defence, Lukebakio and Bakayoko are way better on the counter attack than Tresor who's more of a team player that needs movement around him.
Did he have a serious injury at some point?
He looks like a different type of player now to back then.
I'm not sure he will be given that many more chances to become a good player for us after that showing against Luton. He's had plenty of opportunity to show what he can do so he really needs to take one soon or he risks Zaroury overtaking him in the pecking order

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 am

Ramsey is in the same pigeonhole for many on here.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am

Goliath wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:24 am
I genuinely didnt think it was him at one point. He looks more like your rapid, all action Koleosho type of winger in the clips.
Reminded me of when Gifton turned up at Burnley unable to run after wed seen clips of him being pretty rapid at previous clubs.
If you're playing at Anderlecht u21 or Dutch eredivisie (know for it's emphasis on attacking tactical possession play rather than defending hard) it's a whole other animal than running behind top players in the PL.

His last season in Belgium was very good but he also needed a year to become what he was last season. Not to forget a coach who trusted him and kept playing him in the starting 11 until he started to perform.

Don't even think he's a good substitute player but one that needs to feel confidence to thrive.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am

Goody1975 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 am
Ramsey is in the same pigeonhole for many on here.
He was fantastic for Boro, staggering how many have missed it. High ceiling and played a decent amount of football for someone his age. Sadly, patience isn't a word some understand though.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am

Goliath wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am
Did he have a serious injury at some point?
He looks like a different type of player now to back then.
I'm not sure he will be given that many more chances to become a good player for us after that showing against Luton. He's had plenty of opportunity to show what he can do so he really needs to take one soon or he risks Zaroury overtaking him in the pecking order
He had a minor thigh injury after a challenge, that did make him miss a part of the preparation for this season.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am

Anthonini wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am
If you're playing at Anderlecht u21 or Dutch eredivisie (know for it's emphasis on attacking tactical possession play rather than defending hard) it's a whole other animal than running behind top players in the PL.

His last season in Belgium was very good but he also needed a year to become what he was last season. Not to forget a coach who trusted him and kept playing him in the starting 11 until he started to perform.

Don't even think he's a good substitute player but one that needs to feel confidence to thrive.
It will be interesting to see if he wants to stay when we are relegated, a season fighting it out twice a week in the Championship might be what he needs
These 2 users liked this post: Anthonini LDNBFC87

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:45 am
It will be interesting to see if he wants to stay when we are relegated, a season fighting it out twice a week in the Championship might be what he needs
IF we are relegated you'd assume we'd have the majority of possession in games again, this would probably suit Tresor. What we can't do is carry players who won't/can't do the dirty work.

I personally think his 'lack of effort' is exaggerated and like is said above he probably needs regular minutes to get into the flow of games.

The Luton game was the completely wrong scenario to throw him in, especially when Luton were having so much of the ball.

Anthonini

Post by Anthonini » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:06 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:01 pm
IF we are relegated you'd assume we'd have the majority of possession in games again, this would probably suit Tresor. What we can't do is carry players who won't/can't do the dirty work.

I personally think his 'lack of effort' is exaggerated and like is said above he probably needs regular minutes to get into the flow of games.

The Luton game was the completely wrong scenario to throw him in, especially when Luton were having so much of the ball.

Completely agree here.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:14 pm

Tresor winds me up beyond belief.

Can't help think of Dyche's favourite saying: "Minimum expectation is maximum effort"

I'd be surprised if Tresor puts in 20% effort when he makes an appearance. Saunters about and gives the ball away at every opportunity.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:50 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:01 pm

It's really noticeable that last season there were plenty of positive comments about Kompany and his decision making when it came to subs and also the early timing of them. VK is struggling at this level to get it right, he's learning too but for me he isn't learning quickly enough. A more experienced coach alongside him may have been a good idea...

As for Tresor, hard to come into a struggling team in a new country and a much stronger league but there are times when it has looked as though there is lack of effort, looks can be deceptive though - I think he looks lost and destroyed of confidence

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:51 pm

I can understand why people see Tresor as a needless signing, and he's clearly so far not delivered. But I also can't understand why anyone who claims to understand football would be writing him off. He's had no real run of games, and most of his appearances have been cameos from the bench. It's hard enough impacting games as a sub as it is, never mind in a struggling Premier League team when you're new to that level of football. Jury's out definitely applies to the lad, but not sure it's time to write him off yet.

What is interesting with Tresor is that his underlying numbers are in the region of other players who are not getting anywhere near as much stick. Someone said about him wafting his leg at tackles, but he's actually successfully made 6 tackles out of 10 attempts this season. Based on time on the pitch, of players who've played at least 270 minutes he's the 4th best in both of those categories. Funnily enough, the much maligned Ramsey is 1st on both. It just goes to show that when people use phrases like "fails the eye test" that often they're agenda driven. Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence, but worth being able to back it up with some hard facts.

Tackling is a good example, because it's an emotive topic with it being linked to effort. But it's a similar story on chances created where he's not much behind Odobert and Koleosho per 90 (JBG is way out in front on that one), and similar for number of take ons and success. In that category he's much better than JBG though.

I think it all goes back to the argument that he's a signing that wasn't needed and it can feel like he's used for the sake of being used. We'd already signed Bruun Larsen, Redmond, Koleosho and Odobert to go with JBG, Zaroury and Benson, and so far Tresor hasn't shown that he's better than any of them. If he'd been used a lot more, I suspect we may have seen a better player.
These 3 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing CrosspoolClarets Anthonini

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:09 pm

He completely chickened out of a couple of tackles against Luton.....very poor.
I agree he hasn't had enough chances to impress....maybe he'll come good, given the chance.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:11 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:09 pm
He completely chickened out of a couple of tackles against Luton.....very poor.
I agree he hasn't had enough chances to impress....maybe he'll come good, given the chance.
Yes, he did do that, and in a critical stage of the game. One of those missed tackles led to the move that Luton scored from.

It's hard for fans to get past that.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:25 pm

We didn’t sign Townsend because we signed Tresor and Benson who was fantastic for us in the championship is behind him In the pecking order .:: Tresor hasn’t lived up to his hype or price and I hope there is a lot more to come from him

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:32 pm

I get why we signed him and he showed some promise against Liverpool early on but I'm absolutely baffled as to why he gets minutes over Zaroury and Benson going off what he's done in his cameos so far

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:14 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:11 pm
Yes, he did do that, and in a critical stage of the game. One of those missed tackles led to the move that Luton scored from.

It's hard for fans to get past that.
It is for me too!
This user liked this post: dougcollins