The season has made me more angry than i have ever been!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

The season has made me more angry than i have ever been!

Post by steve1264b » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:28 am

I am 59 this month, so i reckon I've spent more time watching us lose than wining in the 53 years i have attended Turf Moor.

Ive seen plenty of relegations and i have seen a lot of sub standard football.

Previous relegations from the Premier League haven't brought the same emotions. Perhaps in the steady descent into the 4th division i always felt the club needed me, my money was important. The steady recovery i felt part of.

After what was an incredibly emotional season last year (how many games did we win late on, great goals and off course derby wins) this season is just error after error, basic football rules like kick it out if under pressure, let the goalie take some pressure out of the game by holding onto the ball and finally the other team can't score when the ball is in their half, don't seem to matter. Its like our players have never played professional football where winning is secured by professional behaviour (gamesmanship).

The signings have been baffling,

Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them, we haven't built a team but a collection of players. There is no evidence that our coaching staff have improved the players.

This is going to be controversial but we seem to have a thing for "circus" players, players who have a trick want to run with the ball and beat players, except no one else is running at the same time.

We have lost our way, I've seen it before, all of us have. We've all seen managers struggle to find the right formula.

For some reason this season i am so angry that we have recruited badly, that we are such a poor team, that we are outrun and out organised by other teams.

Im angry that Benson and Zaroury haven't had a chance, I'm angry that Trafford struggles to catch a ball cleanly, I'm even angry at the separate milk for coffee!!

Im getting fed up with VAR, why does Trafford do the Pickford flop everytime he lands on the ball?

Maybe its my age but this season just feels so different, i go from really struggling to go on the turf, then being blazing mad about everything. Is anything going well at the club?

Ive never felt so certain that we don't know what we, who we are, what we stand for as a club, there is no plan to develop the style, no analysis of what is wrong and what we need to put it right.

I am angry that we seem to have thrown everything away.

Im angry that this current group will not walk the championship. We are easy to beat, high ball back post, put Trafford under pressure. High press and we will cough it up.
These 17 users liked this post: claretgimmer Rumpelstiltskin Terry Cochrane bumba randomclaret2 berbs78 RighteousClaret bfcjg k90bfc kentonclaret Oakworth claret Wo Didi ClaretAL ebby ClaretTony Spike groove

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Re: The season has made me more angry than i have ever been!

Post by Vino blanco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:30 am

Agree 100 percent, but I'm more frustrated than angry.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET Wo Didi

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:31 am

I was saying something very similar tonight in the 20 years I’ve been going on the turf this is the least enjoyable and most unhappy I’ve been.

The worst part about it for me is we have a group of such talented young players who at the end of the season we might sell and have to build again, you can see there’s some players in this squad who will have brilliant careers and would be great to see them spend 3 or 4 years at Burnley as a premier league club.

Hoping we manage to keep a good core group of them to try and get back out of the championship

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 857 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:32 am

Odobert and Koleosho are probably worth about 40mil more than we paid for them.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:35 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:32 am
They are but it will be devastating to lose them after only one season, koleosho we have a good chance of keeping due to his injury but if odobert carries on as he is doing he’s going straight to the top
This user liked this post: Milltown1882

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:39 am

This is kinda how I feel -

I just think we've thrown away/throwing away a really good opportunity to remain in the top flight as a mixture of naivety/stubbornness/idiocy

Extremely frustrating.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:43 am

VAR has succeeded in removing any enjoyment of watching a Premier League match.
These 7 users liked this post: tarkys_ears Stproc k90bfc Stayingup oswyclaret Wo Didi 7decades

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:50 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:39 am

I just think we've thrown away/throwing away a really good opportunity to remain in the top flight as a mixture of naivety/stubbornness/idiocy

Extremely frustrating.
I know kompany has said before if we can just stay up this season this squad of players can go players but I think he is starting to realise now there’s key areas we are lacking in experience which in the premier league is vital.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:52 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Sure people said that about Zaroury & Benson last season - look at them now 😆

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:53 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Seriously? If we manage to recoup the money we paid for them it will be a result.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:53 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:43 am
VAR has succeeded in removing any enjoyment of watching a Premier League match.
The people in charge of running VAR in this country and ruined it, when the whole world watching in the ground or on tv can spot a decision that needs correcting but 4 of 5 officials who get paid to do their job properly can’t see it then we have a problem.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:55 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:53 am
Seriously? If we manage to recoup the money we paid for them it will be a result.
You would class getting our 3m euros back for koleosho as a result

knclaret
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by knclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:33 am

Thrown away all the good work of last season
These 3 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin k90bfc Spike

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:41 am

Berge, Foster, O'shea, Odobert, Delcroix, Koleosho. Players that are all now worth more than what we paid for them.

The big thing for me is losing the feel good factor that theyd built. Unfortunately when we go down, it wont magically come back. It did last time because of Kompany coming in and our new transfer policy. None of that is new and fresh now so attendances may well be down which is a shame but we should still be in a very good position to go up aslong as we recruit well.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:48 am

Lighten up. The highs aren't as high without the lows.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:54 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
They’re not. But even if they were, is that what we are now? Just a shop window for the odd successful signing?

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:57 am

Don`t worry they will soon be asking us to renew our season tickets, that should be interesting to watch, I have a sneaky feeling there won`t be a waiting list for next season !!

vinrogue
Been Liked: 319 times

Post by vinrogue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 am

Great post, sums it up for me too.

Did we have any experience on the bench to close out the game? Jack Cork and JayRod but oh no Larsen and Tresor with no experience of closing out a game.

Relegation is a given unless two teams get docked a shed load of points. We will struggle to get 30 points.

Yes I will renew my season ticket no matter what as that’s what you do, but angry hell yes to go from hero’s to zeros took some doing…….
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc oswyclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 am

Does anyone really care about next season. We could break the record points next season and I honestly wouldn’t care.

This is the level we want to be at and VK has just ****** the opportunity away.

It’s a miracle he still has a job

BobSykes
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by BobSykes » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am

knclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:33 am
Thrown away all the good work of last season
Next job, start unravelling the work of the previous 30.

Back to back relegation can't be ruled out if we just carry on as we are and these clowns rebuild again this summer for the Championship.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 am
Does anyone really care about next season. We could break the record points next season and I honestly wouldn’t care.

You don’t care about anything related to this club so why change the habit of a lifetime? You battered Dyche, you downplayed last season’s achievement (after initially saying we’d struggle to get up - you then pivoted to the league being shite), and you’ve been ready to jump on anything this season.

It’s a miracle you claim to support us.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:08 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am
You don’t care about anything related to this club so why change the habit of a lifetime? You battered Dyche, you downplayed last season’s achievement (after initially saying we’d struggle to get up - you then pivoted to the league being shite), and you’ve been ready to jump on anything this season.

It’s a miracle you claim to support us.
I’m just not a VK cheerleader that the main issue you have.

Look at the table. 12 points from 21 games. This is absolutely shocking

Terry Cochrane
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by Terry Cochrane » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:08 am

Goliath wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:41 am
Berge, Foster, O'shea, Odobert, Delcroix, Koleosho. Players that are all now worth more than what we paid for them.

The big thing for me is losing the feel good factor that theyd built. Unfortunately when we go down, it wont magically come back. It did last time because of Kompany coming in and our new transfer policy. None of that is new and fresh now so attendances may well be down which is a shame but we should still be in a very good position to go up aslong as we recruit well.
When we get back to the Championship we will not be commanding £40m for any players in that squad. It just wont happen. Berge is probably worth the £12m we paid for him. No more I'd say and thats a good price. Odobert yes and with a top striker to feed he would be worth the sums quoted but we wont get anywhere near £40m. Neither will we for Kol. Dara O'Shea worth more than £7m? Not sure about that. Delcroix was what, about £3m? Yes if we sold him ( and he's the sort of player who wont want to play in the Champo) we could get a lot more.

Great opening post. I am not angry anymore. Just frustrated like most of us. Disillusioned with our challenge this season. Seeing Luton graft like they did last night - wish we had a Barkley who was utterly superb last night.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:09 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 am

Serious question, and I’m genuinely curious as your username suggests you are a similar age to me, when did you start following the club? Wondering as you never refer to days before Dyche at all, or seem to have any appreciation for our past etc. then comments like this, disrespecting and ‘not caring’ about genuine success for a club our size.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:09 am

Burnley are never going to be attractive to watch at this level. We certainly weren’t under Dyche and we aren’t now.

The Championship is our level and it’s a shame we got promoted last last season as the whole club was utterly unprepared for the PL

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:08 am
I’m just not a VK cheerleader that the main issue you have.

Look at the table. 12 points from 21 games. This is absolutely shocking
You don't cheerlead anybody, that’s the main issue I have. A total misery merchant, the very worst example of a modern fan.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:09 am
Serious question, and I’m genuinely curious as your username suggests you are a similar age to me, when did you start following the club? Wondering as you never refer to days before Dyche at all, or seem to have any appreciation for our past etc. then comments like this, disrespecting and ‘not caring’ about genuine success for a club our size.
Think first game I attended was around the age of 5 with my grandad and dad.

Why are you living in the past RV? We have spent 8 of the last 10 years in the premier league. We shouldn’t be settling for this rubbish.

How can you enjoy a promotion next season when you know for absolute fact VK is going to drown the season after. He’s so far out of his depth it’s unreal. The thing I can’t get my head around is how many people were accepting of Dyches sacking (who was in a much better position) but can’t accept that VK should be questioned now.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:17 am

Least enjoyable season in my 50 plus years watching Burnley. 75/76 runs it close but this time last year we knew we were going up. Everything was in our favour and we had months to get ourselves ready to give it a real good go. God knows what happened but we simply could not have made a worse fist of it. We ended up gutting the team and bringing in a load of talentless, heartless dross with no regard to what we actually needed. If anyone says the word ‘project’ I will scream. It is a disaster
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Wo Didi

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:20 am

My wife says I’ve become more grumpy as I got older, I’m 70 this month. I too have been angry at times walking away from the Turf. Under the Dyche regime you always felt we’d have a good go at the opposition. This season I’ve never felt that, and I put it down to no leader on the pitch, others just don’t look strong enough. I just don get how VK bearing in mind the position he used to play in did not make that a priority signing petition. I agree we won’t walk the Championship. To simplify we have too many boys and not enough men.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am

I’ve watched them 66 years and I felt the same ,but what tipped me over the edge last night was that after about an hour I said we’re in a real battle but I bet VK brings Tresor on ,unless Rodriguez was taken ill during the game he would have given us height,bringing Tresor on was the straw that broke the camels back.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 am
Think first game I attended was around the age of 5 with my grandad and dad.

Why are you living in the past RV? We have spent 8 of the last 10 years in the premier league. We shouldn’t be settling for this rubbish.

How can you enjoy a promotion next season when you know for absolute fact VK is going to drown the season after. He’s so far out of his depth it’s unreal. The thing I can’t get my head around is how many people were accepting of Dyches sacking (who was in a much better position) but can’t accept that VK should be questioned now.
I ask because I think having lived through us being pretty poor and brought up during that time, it can help give a sense of perspective as to where we are now. I just can’t for the life of me understand a Burnley fan who would be so dismissive of genuine success for the club.

I was someone who, at the time, advocated for Dyche to leave. However I don’t view the two circumstances as alike at all. I definitely didn’t want Dyche to leave when we first went down under him, or were on a similar points total at the half way point to now in 2018/19. Burnley has always been known as a stable club, that gives managers time and remains loyal. I hope we continue that way.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:39 am

Extremely frustrating.
Add in arrogance, that's my take on it over the summer

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:24 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:23 am
I ask because I think having lived through us being pretty poor and brought up during that time, it can help give a sense of perspective as to where we are now. I just can’t for the life of me understand a Burnley fan who would be so dismissive of genuine success for the club.

I was someone who, at the time, advocated for Dyche to leave. However I don’t view the two circumstances as alike at all. I definitely didn’t want Dyche to leave when we first went down under him, or were on a similar points total at the half way point to now in 2018/19. Burnley has always been known as a stable club, that gives managers time and remains loyal. I hope we continue that way.
That’s the point though isn’t it. We weren’t loyal to Dyche, pace sacked him as soon as he could.

Why are we being loyal to a worse manager than has spent a fortune?

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:25 am

I get more angry/frustrated/shocked /amazed each game when VK makes his substitutions .
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc gawthorpe_view

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 am
You don't cheerlead anybody, that’s the main issue I have. A total misery merchant, the very worst example of a modern fan.
Aye, and hardly a peep from him when we get a result, yet he's never away when things are going badly and will regularly put in an 18-hour shift. A crap weekend for him is when we win or draw. Last season must have been sheer torment for him. Mind you, though, he was still all over the place when we had a rare slip up.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:38 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 am
Aye, and hardly a peep from him when we get a result, yet he's never away when things are going badly and will regularly put in an 18-hour shift. A crap weekend for him is when we win or draw. Last season must have been sheer torment for him. Mind you, though, he was still all over the place when we had a rare slip up.
Literally haven’t missed a single match on this board haha.

Love having my own fan club though. Keep up the good work Clovius

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:41 am

Wrong post.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:42 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:24 am
That’s the point though isn’t it. We weren’t loyal to Dyche, pace sacked him as soon as he could.

Course we were loyal over his tenure. And we reaped the rewards. Not just talking about Pace, it’s been in the culture of the club. I also think Kompany has been unlucky this season overall and we don’t have a reflective points total. There is enough there to stick by, it’s not just blind loyalty.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:46 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:42 am
Course we were loyal over his tenure. And we reaped the rewards. Not just talking about Pace, it’s been in the culture of the club. I also think Kompany has been unlucky this season overall and we don’t have a reflective points total. There is enough there to stick by, it’s not just blind loyalty.
Points balance out over a season. VK even said that himself back in October (noticed he’s changed his tune on referees).

We will go down with a shocking a total. It is pure blind loyalty at this point.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:48 am

BobSykes wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am
Next job, start unravelling the work of the previous 30.

Back to back relegation can't be ruled out if we just carry on as we are and these clowns rebuild again this summer for the Championship.
Where have we heard that before

Clovius Boofus

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:38 am
Literally haven’t missed a single match on this board haha.

Love having my own fan club though. Keep up the good work Clovius
I know I shouldn't reply to the biggest attention seeker on here, but really, you need to ask yourself why feel compelled to spend up to 18 hours a day on here spamming the same misery over and over again.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:51 am

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am
I know I shouldn't reply to the biggest attention seeker on here, but really, you need to ask yourself why feel compelled to spend up to 18 hours a day on here spamming the same misery over and over again.
More made up stuff.

Keep going, can’t wait to hear what else I apparantly do

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:56 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:24 am

Perhaps because Pace realises it was a stupid decision to sack Dyche in the first place, why make the error again? We’re going down now just like we probably were then - both Dyche and Kompany are proven Championship promotion winners, so why on Earth would we twist and pray that the next man is as capable as they both are?

If we do go up next season and then start the next Premier League campaign poorly - it might well be time to assess. We are a long way from that. All focus should be on next season and ensuring we have a clear pathway to promotion - as proven literally a matter of months ago, that is Vincent Kompany. I find it utterly baffling that anyone would want to take an absolute punt on someone who may well be out of their depth in the league below when it’s a certainty that is where we will be playing.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:57 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
That's the project

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:57 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:46 am
Points balance out over a season. VK even said that himself back in October (noticed he’s changed his tune on referees).

We will go down with a shocking a total. It is pure blind loyalty at this point.
Let’s see if they do. Right now we are 6 points down from game defining referee errors. It would also help if we can get our best players on the pitch consistently. As for the points total, I have no idea what it will end as, I just hope we keep improving over the season and show fight. I feel that has happened over the last 10 games or so.

brexit
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:00 am

jos
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by jos » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:02 am

For me VK has some credit in the bank because of last season, and I hope he’s still at the helm through the next one. He was a top class player, but had to learn how to be one.
The situation is the same now that he’s a manager in the top flight, he’s no idiot and will also be learning how to navigate and develop
new talent into a cohesive force.
I also think he’s had the rough end of the stick when it comes to VAR, these things are meant to even themselves out over time but it doesn’t seem like that at the moment.

UTC.

berbs78
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by berbs78 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:08 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Lol

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:23 am

It was clear early doors this season we were very poor. I did’t buy into all this wait til we play this team and that team and teams that are on our level. We are extremely soft and naive. The tactics and subs are baffling at times. I didn’t expect us to hold out night when the time was added on, as the team has no resilience. The board accepted relegation a long time ago and so did I. The big concern for me is I don’t think this side now will be winning the Championship and how a few years at that level will affect the financial aspect of the club.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 am

Sums up how most of us feel, frustrating and just thoroughly unenjoyable, on occasions I’m fuming.

Last season was the best bond between players, club and fans there has ever been and we have ripped it all up and thrown it away, changed the players, the style, the tactics - all that identity has gone along with the engagement of the fans.

I’m not going to start on recruitment.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Wo Didi