Goal Keeper Protection

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
yatesybase
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Goal Keeper Protection

Post by yatesybase » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:39 am

After recently seeing a few goals given for possible fouls on the keeper as below examples -

Arsenal v Palace foul on the Keeper for at least 2 of the goals.

Burnley v Luton foul on Trafford - Joke

Spurs v Citeh Foul on Keeper - Suspect?

Has the Goal Keeper Protection rule gone now ?, With that in mind and it look like VAR is looking at it that way, would you be tempted to start with Muric instead of Trafford, as we all know what's coming !!

I like Trafford and he will be a good keeper in years to come, But if your a defender you will be more confident with Muric who is a bigger presence in the box.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Re: Goal Keeper Protection

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am

Persist with a cowardly keeper and you deserve all you get.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am
Think you may get a few replies to this🎣

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am

I thought I’d read somewhere after the dust had settled on the Trafford/ Luton episode that you can challenge the keeper as long as it’s not aggressive ( not sure that’s the right word), I didn’t think it was a foul in the game last night - Spurs - City on the spurs keeper, he was flapping and should have been more “aggressive” on the player backing into him.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 am

With allowing the Luton goal to stand they have now set a new precedent. To be honest I thought they would disallow City’s goal last night as it was against another ‘big team’.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am
Think you may get a few replies to this🎣
It’s true though. I don’t know how he can be that weak at 6ft5 or whatever he is. The way he dropped was cringeworthy.

I seem to remember other cowardly attempts at gathering crosses which cost us goals (Arsenal away, Everton at home?).
This user liked this post: Westleigh

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 am
With allowing the Luton goal to stand they have now set a new precedent. To be honest I thought they would disallow City’s goal last night as it was against another ‘big team’.
Steve, I agree what you say about setting a precedent and think that’s why they allowed last nights goal.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:38 pm

We need Traff to watch old footage of Ray Clemence .Ray used to come for catches with one knee up to protect himself for fouls by forwards
As clearly all protection has gone perhaps this is a tactic Traff could usefully employ in future

GavlarClaret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by GavlarClaret » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:45 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am
Go on then I'll bite... He's YOUNG. People improve. The Luton game he dominated everything that was there to be taken - 5 minutes before I commented to a friend that he had been brilliant all game at it. Then that 'happened'.

Foul or not I would like him to have been stronger in that situation but when a 6ft+ and 14 stone striker deliberately backs in there really isn't much he can do!

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:53 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 am
It’s true though. I don’t know how he can be that weak at 6ft5 or whatever he is. The way he dropped was cringeworthy.

I seem to remember other cowardly attempts at gathering crosses which cost us goals (Arsenal away, Everton at home?).
Ok bumba.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:07 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:38 pm
We need Traff to watch old footage of Ray Clemence .Ray used to come for catches with one knee up to protect himself for fouls by forwards
As clearly all protection has gone perhaps this is a tactic Traff could usefully employ in future
Probably a sending off offence. No goalkeepers employ that means of self defence now

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:10 pm

I see nothing wrong with Trafford so stay with him.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:27 pm

beddie wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 am
I thought I’d read somewhere after the dust had settled on the Trafford/ Luton episode that you can challenge the keeper as long as it’s not aggressive ( not sure that’s the right word), I didn’t think it was a foul in the game last night - Spurs - City on the spurs keeper, he was flapping and should have been more “aggressive” on the player backing into him.
It's not aggression per se, but excessive force. According to the rules anyway. However this is only one element that could deem it a foul. There are numerous other actions a player can make that should have resulted in it being a foul on Trafford.

I don't see any issue with the City goal. The specific guidance related to this goal on challenging the goalkeeper is quite clear, and has been covered in other threads.

But it is in no way similar to the Trafford incident. One is a genuine attempt to challenge for the ball. The other is a deliberate attempt to impede the goalkeeper.

It's often very easy to come to a sensible decision if the rules are followed (not always). But more and more, I see the basic rules being ignored when it comes to VAR decisions. And incredibly, sometimes only discussing irrelevant factors, and not even discussing the rules at all.

Take the Toney incident for instance. This was a clear breach of the rules. And it was deliberate, with intent to deceive the referee. Some may call it clever. But it's cheating, and in my eyes, no different to diving. Had VAR applied the rules, then there isn't even a grey area - the goal should have been disallowed.

You may think it's petty for Forest to write a letter. But it's not the responsibility of the Forest players to ensure that Ivan Toney adheres to the laws of the game. That is the responsibility of Ivan Toney himself, the referee and his officiating team, and Ivan Toney's manager. Yet somehow, the only people being blamed here are the Forest defenders. Naive of them; maybe. But how we've ended up lauding Ivan Toney for cheating, on his first game back after a ban for rule breaking is just bizarre. Forest should rightly be annoyed, and it's a perfectly fair question: "why did the referee and VAR allow the goal to stand, when according to the rules, it should have been disallowed?".

The grey areas are part of football, and I can live with that. But we are in serious trouble when the rules are being deliberately ignored.
These 3 users liked this post: k90bfc boatshed bill Stalbansclaret

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:24 pm

Robbie_painter wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:53 pm
Ok bumba.
What you bringing me in to it for?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:08 pm

GavlarClaret wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:45 pm
Go on then I'll bite... He's YOUNG. People improve. The Luton game he dominated everything that was there to be taken - 5 minutes before I commented to a friend that he had been brilliant all game at it. Then that 'happened'.

Foul or not I would like him to have been stronger in that situation but when a 6ft+ and 14 stone striker deliberately backs in there really isn't much he can do!
Adebayor is thin & lanky it shouldn’t be that much of a mismatch it wasn’t Mike Tyson or evander Holyfield he was up against.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:39 pm

Be good to see a striker try that trick on Adam Blacklow. One fist on the ball and another in the strikers earhole.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:00 pm

Perhaps we should watch the Sheffield United v West Ham match to see what a goalkeeper should do. There is no doubt that the West Ham goalkeeper went hard at McBurnie, and that's presumably what Trafford should have done.

(The fact that the goalkeeper went off injured and the penalty cost them two points could be seen as a downside, though.)

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm

I shouldnt bite I know but such buffoonery winds me up too much. Just watch it man !! …Trafford is watching the ball getting himself into position to jump when Adebayo backs into him and impedes him. WTF is that to do with being “cowardly” ? He was fouled (obstructed), it really is as simple as that.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:13 am

I think generally goalkeepers are over protected.