FAO Claret in Japan.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

FAO Claret in Japan.

Post by rayzer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:37 pm

Hi CiJ, I was wondering if I could quiz your brain. I'm coming to Japan this summer and I'm toying with the idea of using air bnb instead of hotels. The prices seem reasonable and I would have thought they would be of a good standard. I'm also thinking of using Tokyo as a Base and then venturing out into the rest of Japan. All the cities look appealing but could you recommend some must see places. Thanks in advance. PS. Any recommendations from other clarets would be appreciated.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Re: FAO Claret in Japan.

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:42 pm

Keen to hear the advice and recommendations on here.

Working on a similar plan, 2 weeks including maybe 4 nights in Tokoyo and then hoping to take the train to the coast for maybe the remainder.

Any recommendations for the coast part would be great- more relaxing planned at that stage of the holiday but I’d still like a few things to plan in during that time.

Wondering though if we would be better to try 3 different places.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:45 pm

All this inessential flying is no good for the climate emergency.

Please desist 🙂
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretinJapan
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretinJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:57 am

rayzer wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:37 pm
Hi CiJ, I was wondering if I could quiz your brain. I'm coming to Japan this summer and I'm toying with the idea of using air bnb instead of hotels. The prices seem reasonable and I would have thought they would be of a good standard. I'm also thinking of using Tokyo as a Base and then venturing out into the rest of Japan. All the cities look appealing but could you recommend some must see places. Thanks in advance. PS. Any recommendations from other clarets would be appreciated.
Hi Rayzer,

First of all, Japan is very humid from mid June to late August. June and July are also the rainy season, though this doesn't mean constant rain. Sometimes it is sunny, but other times no sun and showers. Sometimes a full day of rain. A bit unpredictable, but it will be humid! I always wear a cool quick-dry thin vest under a t-shirt, that way your t-shirt won't be soaked!

May is one of the best times to visit Japan.

I have no experience of AirBnB but the expectations of the average Japanese would be that they are decent, clean and with lots of everyday conveniences. Otherwise, I doubt they would last long.

Tokyo is a good base, you can travel anywhere in Japan either by local trains, Shinkansen (bullet train), or air.

As for must see places, I am actually not well traveled within Japan. People tend to take holidays at the same time and travel and places are crowded. I often go overseas when I have a holiday. This would not be a problem for you as long as your holiday doesn't coincide with a national holiday period here. The main one being Obon which is around August 13-16.

Tokyo is obviously huge with all sorts of things to do and see. Best read up on Tokyo!

Popular places from Tokyo would be:
Yokohama - 30 minutes away, almost blends in to Tokyo.
Kyoto - temples and history, old and new combined. Shinkansen train maybe 2 hours. Took my dad there but fell ill and didn't see much unfortunately.
Mount Fuji area - 5 lakes. Not so far from Tokyo. Hakone is on the way there. Some nice trains run there.
Kamakura is not far from Tokyo and also has temples. It is also coastal and the beach is OK. Slightly further down there are some quite nice beaches. I live about 35km away and often cycle around there. Enoshima is a nice place nearby too.
Okinawa has great beaches but is like an extra holiday due to the distance.
Also Hiroshima and Osaka are attractive.

https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/best- ... -in-japan/

Anything you are particularly keen to discover?

Hope this helps. Any other questions I'll try to help.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

ClaretinJapan
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by ClaretinJapan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:06 am

This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:18 am

Thanks CiJ. You've given me plenty to go on. I'm going for 3 weeks so I should fit in lots of your suggestions. I've also purchased a few disposable ponchos in case of sudden downpours. A friend of mine said air bnb in Japan are of high end hotel standard. As you will know, the Japanese are big on hygiene and cleanliness. Thanks again.