More young signings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Re: More young signings

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:05 pm
What does that mean? We signed Ben Mee when he was a youngster. He chose to leave when we were a Championship side. Not sure if we could have signed him this summer?
Brentford brought in Ben Mee as an older experienced player and he certainly hasn’t turned out as your post implies.
Neither poor nor unwanted at other PL clubs.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:58 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:09 pm
I don't know what people mean. But I do understand that PL ready players are out of our budget.
Not sure we should buy a similar player to Berge, if that is what you mean.
Crossing wires here I think bb, I don't mean a similar player to Berge like that -

I mean sort of 25-28 ish, not necessarily PL regulars but played a fair whack of football in some top flight leagues across Europe in positions that we needed.

Similar to Brighton in 2017, Pascal Gross and a few others, Gross springs to mind here as he was a key player in a small team (Ingolstadt) in the Bundesliga that ended up playing for a few consecutive seasons after winning promotion and has gone on to be one of Brighton's best ever players.

Players that have learnt a few lessons on the way and experienced some sort of adversity/success.

VK even said last year getting over the line was huge for the team to have gained that winning experience - sadly not many of them have been main stays this year.

I think expecting a young lad from the Swiss league to come in and hit the ground running, a keeper that's only ever played at league one level, and wingers that had both been relegated from their respective clubs in Spain/France, and another lad that played on loan for Boro & Norwich that finished far below us last season to come in and romp us to safety is just beyond naive, bordering on insanity.

That's not a slight on them as players but for the umpteenth time, there's more to it than talent - I said at the start of the season that VK is barking mad if he thinks we can take 10-15 games to gel here and stay up.

All of them have had some good flashes here and there but that isn't enough to win games in the PL - it's no surprise that out of the signings that have started to actually look like they belong in the league with consistent performances are O'Shea and Berge (24/25 respectively, 150 + games each).

That isn't saying that the others are 'bad' per say and like I said have shown glimpses of being really good, but that is just not enough to regularly win football matches, so considering the spend and where we're at right now it's extremely underwhelming.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:03 pm

I'll elaborate a bit more -

When the NFL draft rolls around, there is always a balance to be had of drafting between 'needs' vs 'wants'.

The best teams that have long term success tend to nail the 'needs' and do not tend to get caught up with the drama and razmatazz of drafting the flashy 'wants'.

Of course football/PL American PL/NFL are two different sports/leagues with differing structure - with player sales in football being a crucial aspect of a clubs health BUT

you still need to sign 'wants' over 'needs'. Could go out and sign as much young talent as possible in the hopes that they turn in gems every season if you like, but is that really gonna be conducive to building a good team? I don't think so...

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:53 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:10 pm
Brentford brought in Ben Mee as an older experienced player and he certainly hasn’t turned out as your post implies.
Neither poor nor unwanted at other PL clubs.
Brentford signed Mee from a Championship club and he wasn’t unwanted, he was offered a deal here.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:35 am

Winstonswhite wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:53 pm
That’s a 50% win rate.

To put into context, West Ham, currently 6th have a 45% win rate.

You’re dreaming pal!!
We will see.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:40 am

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:03 am
When Hanson said this in 1995 Man Utd still had a strong core of very experienced players including Schmeichel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Keane and Cantona.
Exactly right,Man Utd won have won nothing with a team composed entirely of young inexperienced players.Hanson was correct

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3166 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:01 am

gtclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:40 am
Exactly right,Man Utd won have won nothing with a team composed entirely of young inexperienced players.Hanson was correct
But look at the quality of the senior players they had at the time.