Fed up

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Fed up

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:49 am

I can sense the frustration after the way we played last season but some posters just go too far in their criticism and hate of certain players. Sadly VK is not helping by starting certain ones most games, who either shot of confidence or below PL standard. Whats not helping I am certain is we have clubs like Luton made up largely of lower league club players and a few old heads, that are playing their hearts out to such a degree they are giving the top clubs a proper game

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:19 am
I'm fed up with supporting something described as more like Kickstarter project than a football club. I'd rather see us win games and develop a proper team than have investment assets that will help build our global brand with strategic partnerships with other corporate bullshit.

Every single signing is about resale value when it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you need an Eric Pieters, a Phil Bardsley or a Joey Barton type of signing, bringing in players older than 27 isn't a bad thing.

Luton kept their team together and signed the likes of Ross Barkley, Andros Townsend and Tim Krul - not world beaters but experienced, honest players who are likely to give you £100m in Premier League cash when they keep you up.
Spot on

Row Z
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Row Z » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:12 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:03 am
But, given the average performance of some of the starting eleven, a number of those subs should have started

Amdouni, Ekdal and Ramsey are struggling in this team plus Vitinho is poor at RB never mind LB
I agree I don’t know what Ramsey has done to earn a start, he’s looked off the pace other than a few flashes of his quality.

Vitinho has been solid if unspectacular at RB. New signing looks a step up in quality (again credit Kompany). Actually thought Vitinho did ok at LB.

Many were calling for Ekdal to return from injury and he’s previously been one of our strongest defenders both in terms of physicality and use of the ball.

Amdouni is an enigma. Gets in some great positions and could easily have double his goal tally this season. Yes Fofana made an impact against City, but I’m sure there would have been criticism had Kompany thrown him in from the start and he didn’t perform. Having seen his impact twice, I hope we see him from the start.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:15 am

Its obvious to all and sundry that we need some steel and heart in this team. I think had we not recovered to make a draw yestrday then this performance could well have been the straw that broke the camels back for many fans. Everyone I met at HT looked shell shocked. What do they do in mid - week? What does the dead ball coach do? Why are they not sorting out the cover for Trafford at corners? Vitinho v a giant doesn't cut it. Oh for Barnes to sorth that out and for Trafford to grow and get heavier and elbow a few.

Thos having a go at VK are entitked to. He has spent a lot of money and we are not getting better. I don't see a semblance of a team here to go forward with nest season. Yes, two or three good performers but some really poor ones.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:18 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 am
When did we become such an entitled fan base?

A newly promoted team (an entire squad built in 12 months) is struggling in the PL and everyone is shocked.

Nobody likes to see their team not winning games but feck me, a little perspective wouldn’t go amiss.

This league is absolutely brutal, there’s a reason every season the 3 newly promoted sides are the 3 favourites to be relegated.

Mistakes have been made this season but people would rather dwell on that instead of look forward.

There’s **** all loyalty for a young manager who took us to this division by winning the title in a special season. Make mistakes in the window, hit a rough spell and just discard him? Don’t allow him the chance to put it right? There’s no better man to bring us back and move us forward than the man who took us up in the first place. 1 step back to take 2 forward hopefully.
No need to almost completely dismantle the team that took us up in the first place. And I'm glad you said hopefully, because as quite a few are saying we'll come straight back, I don't see it, a lot of water under the bridge since last season.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 am

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:15 am
Its obvious to all and sundry that we need some steel and heart in this team. I think had we not recovered to make a draw yestrday then this performance could well have been the straw that broke the camels back for many fans. Everyone I met at HT looked shell shocked. What do they do in mid - week? What does the dead ball coach do? Why are they not sorting out the cover for Trafford at corners? Vitinho v a giant doesn't cut it. Oh for Barnes to sorth that out and for Trafford to grow and get heavier and elbow a few.

Thos having a go at VK are entitked to. He has spent a lot of money and we are not getting better. I don't see a semblance of a team here to go forward with nest season. Yes, two or three good performers but some really poor ones.
The dead ball coach comes out to the technical area and flaps his little hands about and mutters things that none of the players can hear when we have a dead ball situation. The guy is about as effective as a one legged man in an @rse kicking contest.
These 3 users liked this post: Westleigh Stayingup bfcjg

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am

VK is like a chef in a local pub producing wonderful sausage and mash and steak and ale pies and the pubs heaving and people are queuing to get in ,he then gets a job at a fine dining restaurant throws away all his basic ingredients buys cous cous and cavia throws them all in a pan and serves it up and people start saying it’s crap apart from a few regulars who say he’s learning how to be a chef,but deep down people know he’s just a pie and mash man ,and then there were no customers,and the restaurant closes down.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:25 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am
VK is like a chef in a local pub producing wonderful sausage and mash and steak and ale pies and the pubs heaving and people are queuing to get in ,he then gets a job at a fine dining restaurant throws away all his basic ingredients buys cous cous and cavia throws them all in a pan and serves it up and people start saying it’s crap apart from a few regulars who say he’s learning how to be a chef,but deep down people know he’s just a pie and mash man ,and then there were no customers,and the restaurant closes down.
Great analogy that pal!
This user liked this post: Westleigh

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:29 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:18 am
No need to almost completely dismantle the team that took us up in the first place. And I'm glad you said hopefully, because as quite a few are saying we'll come straight back, I don't see it, a lot of water under the bridge since last season.
What exactly was dismantled? We had 4 loan players, 1 we signed, 1 didn’t want to come, 1 went to top of Bundesliga for 20m, 1 played half the season with us and went back to the Championship. Apart from Muric and Zaroury, the majority of the promoted team have played. Cullen, Roberts, Al-Dakhil, Brownhill, Ekdal, Vitinho - all key players last season, all have not looked good enough at this level. Cullen was our POTY! Taylor has been a regular. JBG has been a regular. Barnes left cause it was either Jay or him, Jay had another year. Benson has been injured for 70% or more of the season. I see this a lot but don’t get this comment really.
These 4 users liked this post: Pickles Row Z burnleymik evensteadiereddie

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 am
The dead ball coach comes out to the technical area and flaps his little hands about and mutters things that none of the players can hear when we have a dead ball situation. The guy is about as effective as a one legged man in an @rse kicking contest.
I'd love to know what our set piece coach is doing with them on the training ground. I'm guessing he's a mate of VKs and it's a jobs for the boys situation, because he's absolutely stealing a living.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 am
We are dreadful at set pieces but it’s a bit simplistic putting this at the door of the set piece coach. For a start you don’t know the specifics of his role or how much autonomy he is given. Ultimately, VK hired him and signed a bunch of players who are incapable of putting a good delivery in, attacking one or defending one.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 am
I'd love to know what our set piece coach is doing with them on the training ground. I'm guessing he's a mate of VKs and it's a jobs for the boys situation, because he's absolutely stealing a living.
It does smack a bit of the Emporers new clothes.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:40 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 am
We are dreadful at set pieces but it’s a bit simplistic putting this at the door of the set piece coach. For a start you don’t know the specifics of his role or how much autonomy he is given. Ultimately, VK hired him and signed a bunch of players who are incapable of putting a good delivery in, attacking one or defending one.
Can’t really argue with this either pal.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:41 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 am
Ask Pep about set piece coaches ,he pretty well had us weighed up for the free kick they slid round the wall to score ,and that was down to the set piece coach

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:42 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:41 am
Ask Pep about set piece coaches ,he pretty well had us weighed up for the free kick they slid round the wall to score ,and that was down to the set piece coach
Should the set piece coach have told Odobert that it’s important to concentrate when defending a set piece?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:17 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:29 am
What exactly was dismantled? We had 4 loan players, 1 we signed, 1 didn’t want to come, 1 went to top of Bundesliga for 20m, 1 played half the season with us and went back to the Championship. Apart from Muric and Zaroury, the majority of the promoted team have played. Cullen, Roberts, Al-Dakhil, Brownhill, Ekdal, Vitinho - all key players last season, all have not looked good enough at this level. Cullen was our POTY! Taylor has been a regular. JBG has been a regular. Barnes left cause it was either Jay or him, Jay had another year. Benson has been injured for 70% or more of the season. I see this a lot but don’t get this comment really.
You mention Vitinho. He couldn't get into the Champoinship.team and yet he's been a regular this season. No wonder Roberts wanted out. I abd many others thought we should have retained Harwood Bellis. Instead we bought O'Shea who isn't as a good a player. Our defence has been woeful and its not getting any better.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 am

Maybe if we just stuck to a defence. I'm not even sure what our best defensive line is. It's constantly changing.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 am
Maybe if we just stuck to a defence. I'm not even sure what our best defensive line is. It's constantly changing.
I’m not sure Vincent knows what our best defensive set up is either. Or, indeed who is actually a defender?

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:56 am

Yesterday was close to being the last chance saloon for our season and yet there were swathes of empty seats all around the Turf. That fact alone tells me a lot of regular supporters are fed up watching a poor team being outplayed week after week
We can all have our opinions on the Manger and individual players but the fact is we have been awful especially at Fortress Turf Moor. No doubt the ‘official’ attendance yesterday was 20000 plus ?
Mr and Mrs Pace sat holding hands in the Directors Box looked far from happy
UTC

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:01 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:56 am
Yesterday was close to being the last chance saloon for our season and yet there were swathes of empty seats all around the Turf. That fact alone tells me a lot of regular supporters are fed up watching a poor team being outplayed week after week
We can all have our opinions on the Manger and individual players but the fact is we have been awful especially at Fortress Turf Moor. No doubt the ‘official’ attendance yesterday was 20000 plus ?
Mr and Mrs Pace sat holding hands in the Directors Box looked far from happy
UTC
I didn’t see swathes of empty seats? Yes Fulham didn’t take their full allocation but I only saw patches in the wings of the JHL and JM lower. I actually said to my son in law that the ground was fuller than I expected.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie burnleymik

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:06 pm

Not sure what FC Burnley's agenda is when he talks of the imaginary swathes of empty seats and folk not wanting to go on.
Is he mistaken or thinking wishfully...

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2922 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 pm

I thought it looked pretty busy yesterday everywhere but the away end.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:12 pm

Yeah, not entirely sure what FC Burnley was seeing. Was surprised so many turned up considering how the season has gone and the opposition.

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:14 pm

Obviously I watched on TV and it appeared that the home CFS section had lots of space as did the Bob Lord. Couldn’t see the JH which I assume was full judging by the responses. The Jimmy Mac was certainly far from full. No agenda from me. Just saying what I saw on TV

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:17 pm

Official attendance was 20203 which I believe includes all season ticket holders

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:14 pm
Obviously I watched on TV and it appeared that the home CFS section had lots of space as did the Bob Lord. Couldn’t see the JH which I assume was full judging by the responses. The Jimmy Mac was certainly far from full. No agenda from me. Just saying what I saw on TV
Yes you probably saw a few empty seats in the BL to the left of the half way line. These would be hospitality package seats which the commercial department failed to sell. Probably because Fulham at home isn’t a glamour fixture.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:17 pm
Official attendance was 20203 which I believe includes all season ticket holders
Away end was half empty.

Never ceases to amaze me how some of our fans seems to look for negatives that aren’t there.
You said Mr and Mrs Pace did not look happy. Was it by chance when we were 2-0 down and there were nearly 20,000 other burnley fans also not looking happy ?
Did you manage to get a glimpse of them when we equalised ? Did they look happy then ?
What’s your conclusion from all these observations ?

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:25 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am
An excellent analogy

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:30 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 pm
Away end was half empty.

Never ceases to amaze me how some of our fans seems to look for negatives that aren’t there.
You said Mr and Mrs Pace did not look happy. Was it by chance when we were 2-0 down and there were nearly 20,000 other burnley fans also not looking happy ?
Did you manage to get a glimpse of them when we equalised ? Did they look happy then ?
What’s your conclusion from all these observations ?
Clearly I was having a senior moment re the empty seats. Other than the Fulham section and hospitality seats the ground was full ? As for The Chairman and his wife they were not shown when we equalized. Hopefully they were happier than earlier in the game. Just shows you can never believe what you see on tv

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1514 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:36 pm

"Fed up" - I think that pretty much sums my feelings up for this season. I'm not even angry which, slightly, disappoints me. As much as I'd accepted promotion from December last season, I feel I've accepted relegation as soon (or sooner) this. An 94th minute equaliser usually has me jumping round with joy - yesterday I barely acknowledged it. I really hope we keep battling until the end of the season but my energy seems to have lapsed so much which has surprised me. As others have said, I feel I just don't get "it" - can't see what we have or will become as a club. Playing as a club just to make money is something I'm going to have to take time in getting used to. It just feels all a bit "meh". And I'm normally a very much glass half full type of guy.
These 2 users liked this post: FCBurnley BabylonClaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:47 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:18 am
I think we’ve all been through this a thousand times already but
He was forced to dismantle that team……

Maatsen didn’t want to return, the board did not buy Tella. Benson was injured all of preseason and 90% of the season.

Cullen and Roberts were in terrible form and deserved dropping.

That’s 5 of the best players. 5/11

Brownhill, Gudmundsson Beyer and Foster have been ever present. That’s another 4/11

The only two you could argue who have been mistreated are Zaroury and Muric, I’m disappointed by treatment of Anass but it’s hard to argue he should be starting ahead of Odobert. I do think Kompany got the goalkeeping decision wrong if staying in the PL was the aim, I’m not sure you promote a young kid from League One and throw him in at the deep end. I don’t think Muric is the answer either, I’d have signed a more experienced number 1.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:48 pm

Pretty clear what the long term plan is and what we are trying to do. Kompany has name dropped Brighton several times and commented on how ‘this club doesn’t want to be one just hanging on every year’. Basically can we get to Brighton’s level (consistent top half finishes, winning their Europa League group, playing exciting football)? I know this is all a bit ambitious for some and a counter argument may be we are too small for that but surely it’s not that hard to understand? We’ve tried to ‘fast forward’ to Brighton’s model and it might fail (this season). But still there’s a plan, the board and manager are aligned (see our January window spending another 10m on a 21 year old) and I’m glad we have a clear vision moving forward. There could be nothing worse than going totally off script (like Southampton did last season with Nathan Jones) chasing a few short term results (Sheff hating on Wilder now despite a few results).

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:06 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:48 pm
Pretty clear what the long term plan is and what we are trying to do. Kompany has name dropped Brighton several times and commented on how ‘this club doesn’t want to be one just hanging on every year’. Basically can we get to Brighton’s level (consistent top half finishes, winning their Europa League group, playing exciting football)? I know this is all a bit ambitious for some and a counter argument may be we are too small for that but surely it’s not that hard to understand? We’ve tried to ‘fast forward’ to Brighton’s model and it might fail (this season). But still there’s a plan, the board and manager are aligned (see our January window spending another 10m on a 21 year old) and I’m glad we have a clear vision moving forward. There could be nothing worse than going totally off script (like Southampton did last season with Nathan Jones) chasing a few short term results (Sheff hating on Wilder now despite a few results).
Yep, totally agree with this. Despite the horrible season we are having, VK has to be given to at least Christmas of this year to see where we are at in the Championship. No shame in losing most weeks at this level even though we have spent money, but if we’re miles off it next season in the Championship, then a change would be warranted I think.

Here’s hoping to either an incredible turn of results this season or another terrific year in the Championship next year!

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:18 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:29 am
I think Tella and Maatsen were probably crucial to the success if the system last year (plus ee played Cork quite a bit in midfield too).

We needed a new Cork (that's maybe Berge) but we didn't get the 2 crucial players. We refused to pay what Soton wanted early doors (could we have got him for less than 20? Maybe early doors - using some add ons perhaps) and similar for Maatsen at Chelsea.

The we threw 35m at Maatsen at the death who (understandably) thought he wouldn't bother seeing as we didn't value him enough earlier in the window.

I can't believe we didn't make Tella our no 1 priority and instead splattered double what we might have spent on a bunch of lightweights instead.

Arguably Muric was also crucial and we tossed him inside for a u21 player with zero first team experience at a decent level. I think Trafford has improved and is a decent keeper and I'm not necessarily saying Muric would solve our problems but his speed of passing and accuracy of distribution was crucial for us. Trafford got better but his speed of distribution is still much slower

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:23 pm

Quite startling to say last season's team hasn't been dismantled. Yesterday we had 7 players signed this season, 2 players signed in January 2023 who barely played last season, last season's 2nd choice right back playing left back and Brownhill.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:27 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:18 pm
I think Tella and Maatsen were probably crucial to the success if the system last year (plus ee played Cork quite a bit in midfield too).

We needed a new Cork (that's maybe Berge) but we didn't get the 2 crucial players. We refused to pay what Soton wanted early doors (could we have got him for less than 20? Maybe early doors - using some add ons perhaps) and similar for Maatsen at Chelsea.

The we threw 35m at Maatsen at the death who (understandably) thought he wouldn't bother seeing as we didn't value him enough earlier in the window.

I can't believe we didn't make Tella our no 1 priority and instead splattered double what we might have spent on a bunch of lightweights instead.

Arguably Muric was also crucial and we tossed him inside for a u21 player with zero first team experience at a decent level. I think Trafford has improved and is a decent keeper and I'm not necessarily saying Muric would solve our problems but his speed of passing and accuracy of distribution was crucial for us. Trafford got better but his speed of distribution is still much slower
We tried signing Maatsen earlier in the window, Chelsea would not let him go given how well he’d done in pre-season.

There are no guarantees Tella would have done any better albeit I accept that continuity and particularly his pressing would have been useful. But again, you are slamming the club for not signing him earlier, when there’s no evidence to say we could have got him, or what went on.

Re. Muric, I may be wrong here, but I’m quite sure you were one of the Muric critics on this board last season.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Hopefully this is the case, and hopefully it pays off. But it’s going to require a lot of patience because i could sense quite a lot of fans turning at half time yesterday and understandably so.

We need this season to be over and we need another season in the Championship like last time round. Hopefully we get one. But I can’t really see too much longevity in our plan. I don’t see us signing players for 2 years time, I see more of a scattergun approach hoping that for every 10 young players signed we hit a couple of gold mines. I might be wrong and hope I am.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm

Goodclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:36 pm
"Fed up" - I think that pretty much sums my feelings up for this season. I'm not even angry which, slightly, disappoints me. As much as I'd accepted promotion from December last season, I feel I've accepted relegation as soon (or sooner) this. An 94th minute equaliser usually has me jumping round with joy - yesterday I barely acknowledged it. I really hope we keep battling until the end of the season but my energy seems to have lapsed so much which has surprised me. As others have said, I feel I just don't get "it" - can't see what we have or will become as a club. Playing as a club just to make money is something I'm going to have to take time in getting used to. It just feels all a bit "meh". And I'm normally a very much glass half full type of guy.
Good post. I noted o my rating post that I cardd so little about the game that on around 60 mins I popped in my earphones and cranked up a spotify playlist.

We are well and truly down - the Luton game was the final final nail for me and once we were 2 down there looked no way back at all.

The team looks disjointed, we don't create many chances, we don't play entertaining football, we can't defend properly, we give up soft goals, we make everyone else look really good for big chunks of the game and at the same time a side that looked totally dead on uts feet for the first 3 or 4 games of the season is making a really good fist of trying to survive which totally and utterly scotches the idea that a side which almost broke the championship points record should struggle to do the same because 'the step up is massive and this means we will walk the league again next year'

I'm amazed people are still defending this.
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:27 pm
We tried signing Maatsen earlier in the window, Chelsea would not let him go given how well he’d done in pre-season.

Re. Muric, I may be wrong here, but I’m quite sure you were one of the Muric critics on this board last season.
Pretty sure you are wrong there. In any case it's whataboutery to pop that in. I wasn't saying his inclusion would guarantee better performance but we spent a fair bit on a keeper we didn't really need when we had one already that was fairly critical to the success we ended up having. And he deserved the chance to keep his shirt or lose it

bfcmik
Been Liked: 897 times
Has Liked: 1104 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:39 pm

Our success last season shocked everyone, probably including Pace and Kompany. Teams rebuilt to such an extent are NOT supposed to gel as quickly as they did!

So, of course, we tried to do the same thing again, an almost complete rebuild, except, this time, the results are what the norm is in football, with a lack of organisation, discipline and teamwork meaning we lose way more than we win. In fact it could easily be argued that we are worse than the usual rebuilt squad this season. BUT, we are not dead and buried yet! a few good results, however unlikely they would appear to be, could lift us out of the bottom 3, you only have to look at Luton to see how that happens.

I know I'll be accused of being a 'happy clapper', I'm not, but I am always a Burnley fan and always believe we can get a result - even should we be away at Man City and playing our under 18s because everyone else was unavailable :oops:

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:40 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:36 pm
Pretty sure you are wrong there. In any case it's whataboutery to pop that in. I wasn't saying his inclusion would guarantee better performance but we spent a fair bit on a keeper we didn't really need when we had one already that was fairly critical to the success we ended up having. And he deserved the chance to keep his shirt or lose it
Yeah fair and I don’t really disagree personally. Albeit there were many comments on this board (apologies if you weren’t one) that were adamant a new keeper was a priority.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:43 pm

Keeper is probably most weird one - although I've been squaring that circle by saying Muric could do it in the Champ but perhaps might be harder in the prem and would cost us too much

But he did pretty well against Everton and Spurs (made some mistakes too - although he isn't playing regularly so not much surprise there)

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:47 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:39 am
The foe button is just an easy option that happy clappers use when they have been proven wrong in a discussion.
It would be interesting to see which poster is the most "foed" think I am in the top three. :mrgreen:

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:47 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:28 pm
Good post. I noted o my rating post that I cardd so little about the game that on around 60 mins I popped in my earphones and cranked up a spotify playlist.

We are well and truly down - the Luton game was the final final nail for me and once we were 2 down there looked no way back at all.

The team looks disjointed, we don't create many chances, we don't play entertaining football, we can't defend properly, we give up soft goals, we make everyone else look really good for big chunks of the game and at the same time a side that looked totally dead on uts feet for the first 3 or 4 games of the season is making a really good fist of trying to survive which totally and utterly scotches the idea that a side which almost broke the championship points record should struggle to do the same because 'the step up is massive and this means we will walk the league again next year'

I'm amazed people are still defending this.
So you don't rate any of our players?

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:54 pm

Too inconsistent and not enough end product. Interesting the 1st goal came from 2 new boys who had the heart and desire ro make it happen. We don't see that enough.

It's dull and joyless

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:58 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Don’t we need to find owners prepared to subsidise the club to the tune of more than half a billion before we go down the Brighton route ?
There is often some selective memory loss that up until the last couple of years Brightons record was very comparable to Burnley in the PL and the one big difference was how much money they were losing every single season.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:59 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Respectfully I disagree. I think the long-term plan is to buy cheap players with potential, add value and sell them on. The cynic in me believes that we will sell any player in the summer if we get the correct offer. For all the stick Vitinho gets, he is the perfect example of this policy bought for 1.5M can possibly be sold for 5m.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:01 pm

brexit wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:59 pm
Respectfully I disagree. I think the long-term plan is to buy cheap players with potential, add value and sell them on. The cynic in me believes that we will sell any player in the summer if we get the correct offer. For all the stick Vitinho gets, he is the perfect example of this policy bought for 1.5M can possibly be sold for 5m.
The problem with this argument is that PL revenues far outweigh anything else. 130m revenue this season. How we going to make that up from Champ revenues of 70m (y1 paracute payments included) then 25m if we didn’t go back up within 2 seasons?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:04 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:01 pm
The problem with this argument is that PL revenues far outweigh anything else. 130m revenue this season. How we going to make that up from Champ revenues of 70m (y1 paracute payments included) then 25m if we didn’t go back up within 2 seasons?
This is what makes the summer’s transfer policy seem even more ludicrous.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:20 pm

Simple Question.
Do you think our current team and management ( starting team yesterday) will get us immediate promotion from the Championship ?
I assume that is the clubs Plan B if we are relegated