REPORT: Last gasp goal wins unlikely point

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Re: REPORT: Last gasp goal wins unlikely point

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:06 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:58 pm
Hissy fit? Sulking children? This is a dissection of a **** performance , nothing more and nothing less. I think the only person acting like a child is yourself with a needless and bizarre choice to have a go at one of literally hundreds of posts that are all labouring over the same basic opinion.

Burnley fans have dragged our team over the line many times when we have been poor but it’s a mutual delivery and always has been at Turf Moor. Typically it’s a great atmosphere when we’re good and terrible/non-existent when we’re not. Unsure why that’s specifically aimed at me though! I make noise when it occurs, I’m not an instigator but I certainly join in. Away from home it’s a different kettle of fish, but our home support is poor. The fans at the Turf often need the players to raise them from their slumber (except for you, evidently). That’s been the case for 30+ years and is sadly the case at almost every ground you go to these days from the home support. Everton are a special case due to the pent up anger at the Premier League.

Also…Criticising everything about the club? Talking to the wrong poster there when I’m one of a very dwindling amount who keep asking us to stick by Kompany. I was also one of the posters who constantly asked us to stick by Dyche in the face of endless streams of posts on here asking for his dismissal and the revisionist ******* over his achievements that continues by a few very obvious people with clear and laughable agendas.
Jesus it's not all aimed personally at you, i was responding to your comment which caught my eye about having a rather ambivalent reaction to getting an equaliser in a big game. Im not saying the fans should be boisterous at all times but the players had given us exactly what weve wanted all season so to say you werent bothered sound very petulant. Who cares how weve played when weve just come from 2 down and we have 5 minutes left, our job at that point is to roar them on.
We saw it time after time last season and under Coyle when the fans get going. Even occasionally under Dyche, the Boro game specifically.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:09 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:06 pm
Jesus it's not all aimed personally at you, i was responding to your comment which caught my eye about having a rather ambivalent reaction to getting an equaliser in a big game. Im not saying the fans should be boisterous at all times but the players had given us exactly what weve wanted all season so to say you werent bothered sound very petulant. Who cares how weve played when weve just come from 2 down and we have 5 minutes left, our job at that point is to roar them on.
We saw it time after time last season and under Coyle when the fans get going. Even occasionally under Dyche, the Boro game specifically.
Fair enough, it wasn’t meant to be petulant. It was just a must win game so whilst it’s great to see Fofana do well and us finally win a point from a losing position (first time this season), the overriding thought I had was “this isn’t enough” as I had mentally told myself it was a must win game. Hence, muted celebration.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:11 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:58 pm
Maybe that’s because Everton are having a much better season than their points tally suggests. They’d be sat comfortably in 12th place if it wasn’t for the deduction. They also see a squad up against it that are giving their all.
Ok so it is based on position in the table then? I thought people had been crying out for the fight they showed to get back in the game yesterday. They were hung out to dry by the manager first half but reacted well and deserved support for that.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2054 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:20 pm

Spare a thought for the older die hard Fulham fans who go to all their games. So many decades of visits to the Turf without a win (think it is up to 28 winless trips now), surely yesterday was going to be their day...!

Or so they thought....

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1150 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:20 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:11 pm
Ok so it is based on position in the table then? I thought people had been crying out for the fight they showed to get back in the game yesterday. They were hung out to dry by the manager first half but reacted well and deserved support for that.
What fight was that? It was one of the weirdest comebacks by all accounts.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:25 pm

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:20 pm
What fight was that? It was one of the weirdest comebacks by all accounts.
Went through that on the first page of this thread. You dont make a comeback in the Premier league from 2 goals down without fight. Especially as a side which is objectively one of the worst in the league.
These 2 users liked this post: Anthonini Foshiznik

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:30 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:43 pm
I can tell where the VAR review came from for the second Fofana goal. As he tapped the ball into the net he stumbled and fell forwards, and his fingertip came close to the ball. If his finger had so much as brushed the ball, they would have disallowed it.

They tried to do the same thing with Haaland a few weeks ago, Same sort of scenario, he slid in (Jimmy Robson-style) to meet the cross and as the ball was crossing the line alongside Haaland, still sliding, the ball came close to touching a finger. This would have given VAR the chance to do what it does best, to disallow a goal for something that no-one on earth thinks was an offence!
The gross stupidity of the Haarland goal is amazing,he fell into the back of the net with his hands on the ground ,the. ball was following him into the net and if he wasn’t there would have rolled in,so hitting his hand nearly stopped it going in ,common sense went out of the window again.

AmbleClaret
Been Liked: 216 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by AmbleClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:45 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 pm
you mean like they do against most sides ?
Not interested in any other sides, was commenting on our game against them last week.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:51 pm

Not seen it mentioned but yesterday was our first point gained from a losing position this season.

February fightback
This user liked this post: Anthonini

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:52 pm

Sozturf7 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:33 pm
My love and passion for this site isn't what it was.
Could not agree more.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:54 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:09 pm
Fair enough, it wasn’t meant to be petulant. It was just a must win game so whilst it’s great to see Fofana do well and us finally win a point from a losing position (first time this season), the overriding thought I had was “this isn’t enough” as I had mentally told myself it was a must win game. Hence, muted celebration.
Fair enough, i felt a point wasn't enough also but there was enough time on the clock to find another and have a spectacular ending but it wasn't to be.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:27 pm
Absolute no doubt we’ve had far worse teams. I’ve no idea what but I just feel at times as if I could just call it a day.
I can empathise with this Tony. I think as you get older, football isn’t as important to you as it used to be. My long departed father used to follow the Clarets home and away for years and years and to Reims and Hamburg in Europe. I didn’t believe him but a few years before he passed he said football gets less important as you get older.
Years ago I had to watch Burnley whatever and I used to organise our family life around watching the clarets. If my car broke down or I missed a train en route to the match it felt like the end of the world. These days if I can’t make a game I’m not really that bothered.
I don’t come up for many night matches anymore as I can’t be doing with the faff. Years ago I would try and shuffle work arrangements around and fight my way up to the Turf, probably a bit like Dave Burnley has done all of his life and still to this day.
Another thing is that football is not the same game anymore. The media would have you believe that Premier League Football is the be all and end all and it is hyped up to a ridiculous extent and VAR is just killing the game in my opinion.
We currently have a squad full of players who probably don’t give two hoots whether they play for Burnley or Nottingham Forest or Brighton. They are handsomely paid and live in a different world to us ordinary joes. This isn’t unique to our squad it’s the same for most clubs in the division.
We as supporters want to believe players are passionate about playing for Burnley FC and in recent years we have had players we could relate to like Ashley Barnes, Ben Mee, Tarks and Trippier and a manager in Dyche.
Now I am not daft enough to think that Burnley FC meant everything to these players as they will always move to a better opportunity, that’s human nature. However, when we watched them play we, or I certainly did, felt that they really cared about playing for Burnley.
Last season we developed a sense of belonging and it seemed like the players really enjoyed playing for each other and the shirt. Mind you I suppose it’s easier when you are top of the league. This season yes I know we are bottom of the league but we just seem to have a squad of meh type players with little or no passion. Or possibly it’s just me thinking this because I have lost my passion for watching football.
For the last three or four years I have deliberated on whether I should renew my season ticket and have kept on renewing because if I didn’t I would possibly have minimal contact with my brother who still lives in Lancashire and who I sit next to at the match. This was a more important factor than actually watching the football.
I will renew for next season and then will probably call it a day as I am in my mid 60’s now and should be spending more time at weekends with my wife whilst we are still active enough to get about.
In a nutshell, football to me is no longer the be all and end all and these days I can take it or leave it. UTC.
These 6 users liked this post: Wokingclaret CoolClaret Rats_cle Wile E Coyote Vegas Claret AGENT_CLARET

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm
I think some of the dissent was though aimed at the tactical fiasco that the first half was, though - and the lack of respect for the basic nuts and bolts stuff on which any competitive team is built. And that ultimately adds up to questioning Kompany. I don't know if many want him to leave, but I do think there's a danger it gets a bit ugly if we this keeps recurring (and yesterday was itself a recurrence) and certainly I think there's a general consensus that Kompany needs to take stock pretty damn quickly.
I think this is right, though a fiasco is a bit harsh. Naive maybe.

I can see what he was trying to do. Drop Berge back to a three when in possession, like he did early last season and at Anderlecht with Cullen, setting a high line, pushing the fullbacks up, especially the new lad who started as a winger, with Amdouni moving inside to create the space.

Trouble is, it didn’t work, because it was too much change for some players and they looked confused by it. Heck, one guy had only been in the country 24 hours. Every time Fulham won the ball they pumped it over the top with runners tearing onto it. That’s why he is a tinkerman, he changes things at inopportune moments when there was no need. That trait could easily see the fans turn, I dearly hope not.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:08 pm
It’s draining. I never thought it would happen but my love and passion for BFC is nothing like it was.
Wow - and people call me and the others claiming Trafford is a joke dramatic!

Whilst I’ve no doubt been disillusioned with the tripe served up this season I’m not ready to yet throw the towel in on the club

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:16 pm

That Berge tactical switch was utterly ridiculous. Couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing. Our most dynamic CM playing at times deeper than Ekdal!

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:18 pm

I too feel very disillusioned.

Trying not to overthink, I put it down to 2 things:

- the team is rubbish
- I don't like how things are going off the pitch

We've had both before but there's something very "un-Burnley' about the why of both this time.

It's not losing, it's the losing with a lack of a plot. When a manager starts playing players out of position when there's better options not being selected that is a key sign that there's something badly wrong.

And the owners stink. I've always thought so, but when oy bleeds into performances on the pitch it hurts more.
These 2 users liked this post: Jamesy CoolClaret

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:19 pm

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:15 pm
Wow - and people call me and the others claiming Trafford is a joke dramatic!

Whilst I’ve no doubt been disillusioned with the tripe served up this season I’m not ready to yet throw the towel in on the club
You are probably a lot younger and football is really important in your life at present?

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:29 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:19 pm
You are probably a lot younger and football is really important in your life at present?
I don’t know how old he is but I suspect I am a bit younger.

And no, football has never been that important to me that I’d get as upset as he appears to be.

The club seemingly have moved on from when he had acquaintances in the building and he doesn’t like it - I get that’s probably hard for him having put in a lot of time and effort over the years with the website and supporters club or whatever he ran but nobody at the club owes anyone anything (we’ll, apart from us owing a few teams a few million for the pony players we bought in the summer).

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:43 pm

Jacko wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:18 pm
I too feel very disillusioned.

Trying not to overthink, I put it down to 2 things:

- the team is rubbish
- I don't like how things are going off the pitch

We've had both before but there's something very "un-Burnley' about the why of both this time.

It's not losing, it's the losing with a lack of a plot. When a manager starts playing players out of position when there's better options not being selected that is a key sign that there's something badly wrong.

And the owners stink. I've always thought so, but when oy bleeds into performances on the pitch it hurts more.
I “get” some of what you are saying here.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm
I can empathise with this Tony. I think as you get older, football isn’t as important to you as it used to be. My long departed father used to follow the Clarets home and away for years and years and to Reims and Hamburg in Europe. I didn’t believe him but a few years before he passed he said football gets less important as you get older.
Years ago I had to watch Burnley whatever and I used to organise our family life around watching the clarets. If my car broke down or I missed a train en route to the match it felt like the end of the world. These days if I can’t make a game I’m not really that bothered.
I don’t come up for many night matches anymore as I can’t be doing with the faff. Years ago I would try and shuffle work arrangements around and fight my way up to the Turf, probably a bit like Dave Burnley has done all of his life and still to this day.
Another thing is that football is not the same game anymore. The media would have you believe that Premier League Football is the be all and end all and it is hyped up to a ridiculous extent and VAR is just killing the game in my opinion.
We currently have a squad full of players who probably don’t give two hoots whether they play for Burnley or Nottingham Forest or Brighton. They are handsomely paid and live in a different world to us ordinary joes. This isn’t unique to our squad it’s the same for most clubs in the division.
We as supporters want to believe players are passionate about playing for Burnley FC and in recent years we have had players we could relate to like Ashley Barnes, Ben Mee, Tarks and Trippier and a manager in Dyche.
Now I am not daft enough to think that Burnley FC meant everything to these players as they will always move to a better opportunity, that’s human nature. However, when we watched them play we, or I certainly did, felt that they really cared about playing for Burnley.
Last season we developed a sense of belonging and it seemed like the players really enjoyed playing for each other and the shirt. Mind you I suppose it’s easier when you are top of the league. This season yes I know we are bottom of the league but we just seem to have a squad of meh type players with little or no passion. Or possibly it’s just me thinking this because I have lost my passion for watching football.
For the last three or four years I have deliberated on whether I should renew my season ticket and have kept on renewing because if I didn’t I would possibly have minimal contact with my brother who still lives in Lancashire and who I sit next to at the match. This was a more important factor than actually watching the football.
I will renew for next season and then will probably call it a day as I am in my mid 60’s now and should be spending more time at weekends with my wife whilst we are still active enough to get about.
In a nutshell, football to me is no longer the be all and end all and these days I can take it or leave it. UTC.
Absolutely brilliant post Jamesy ,I’ve watch Burnley since 1957 still get ****** off when we lose ,most of the players don’t give a toss if they win lose or draw ,make comments on this board about the 60’s and 70’s and get slagged off by fans who’ve been going to the Turf for about 10yrs,told I should go and watch Rovers ,football has been part of my dna for the best part of 70 yrs and have watched us with 50,000 gates and 2000 gates ,am told I’ve an agenda about a bit of a kid playing in goal after watching McDonald,Blacklaw ,Thomson grace Turf Moor ,is it worth all the hassle,but I absolutely love watching the Clarets ,and it hurts when some of the posters on this board accuse me of wanting us to lose ,ask my wife if I’m happy if we lose ,I like you have probably got to the stage where enough is enough ,but if I’m playing golf ,balls or gardening on match day I still will have my phone on to see how my beloved Clarets are doing.
These 2 users liked this post: Jamesy AGENT_CLARET

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:16 pm

I posted thw below on another thread.

As Tony says weve had worse teams but i just fibd this team the most unlikable, harsh i know but its just how i feel.

Will still get a season ticket next year!

I am 59 this month, so i reckon I've spent more time watching us lose than wining in the 53 years i have attended Turf Moor.

Ive seen plenty of relegations and i have seen a lot of sub standard football.

Previous relegations from the Premier League haven't brought the same emotions. Perhaps in the steady descent into the 4th division i always felt the club needed me, my money was important. The steady recovery i felt part of.

After what was an incredibly emotional season last year (how many games did we win late on, great goals and off course derby wins) this season is just error after error, basic football rules like kick it out if under pressure, let the goalie take some pressure out of the game by holding onto the ball and finally the other team can't score when the ball is in their half, don't seem to matter. Its like our players have never played professional football where winning is secured by professional behaviour (gamesmanship).

The signings have been baffling,

Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them, we haven't built a team but a collection of players. There is no evidence that our coaching staff have improved the players.

This is going to be controversial but we seem to have a thing for "circus" players, players who have a trick want to run with the ball and beat players, except no one else is running at the same time.

We have lost our way, I've seen it before, all of us have. We've all seen managers struggle to find the right formula.

For some reason this season i am so angry that we have recruited badly, that we are such a poor team, that we are outrun and out organised by other teams.

Im angry that Benson and Zaroury haven't had a chance, I'm angry that Trafford struggles to catch a ball cleanly, I'm even angry at the separate milk for coffee!!

Im getting fed up with VAR, why does Trafford do the Pickford flop everytime he lands on the ball?

Maybe its my age but this season just feels so different, i go from really struggling to go on the turf, then being blazing mad about everything. Is anything going well at the club?

Ive never felt so certain that we don't know what we, who we are, what we stand for as a club, there is no plan to develop the style, no analysis of what is wrong and what we need to put it right.

I am angry that we seem to have thrown everything away.

Im angry that this current group will not walk the championship. We are easy to beat, high ball back post, put Trafford under pressure. High press and we will cough it up.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET longsidepies

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:17 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 pm
I think this is right, though a fiasco is a bit harsh. Naive maybe.

I can see what he was trying to do. Drop Berge back to a three when in possession, like he did early last season and at Anderlecht with Cullen, setting a high line, pushing the fullbacks up, especially the new lad who started as a winger, with Amdouni moving inside to create the space.

Trouble is, it didn’t work, because it was too much change for some players and they looked confused by it. Heck, one guy had only been in the country 24 hours. Every time Fulham won the ball they pumped it over the top with runners tearing onto it. That’s why he is a tinkerman, he changes things at inopportune moments when there was no need. That trait could easily see the fans turn, I dearly hope not.
Changing things at inopportune moments is not good. Tinkering with a formation when you intend to utilise 3 new players against a team that the 4-4-2 worked against only a few weeks ago seems erm well....a (pick a word)!

As a pedantic exercise in the semantics of the English language I get it but fecking it up against one of the 3 teams we've beaten and doing so at home when you have 12 points in 23 games seems a bit of a fiasco in anyone's dictionary.

It's a bit like standing in a puddle and saying to a friend - 'it's wet, it's coming from the sky and I'm soaked to the skin but to call it rain is a bit strong'.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 pm

steve1264b wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:16 pm
I posted thw below on another thread.

As Tony says weve had worse teams but i just fibd this team the most unlikable, harsh i know but its just how i feel.

Will still get a season ticket next year!

I am 59 this month, so i reckon I've spent more time watching us lose than wining in the 53 years i have attended Turf Moor.

Ive seen plenty of relegations and i have seen a lot of sub standard football.

Previous relegations from the Premier League haven't brought the same emotions. Perhaps in the steady descent into the 4th division i always felt the club needed me, my money was important. The steady recovery i felt part of.

After what was an incredibly emotional season last year (how many games did we win late on, great goals and off course derby wins) this season is just error after error, basic football rules like kick it out if under pressure, let the goalie take some pressure out of the game by holding onto the ball and finally the other team can't score when the ball is in their half, don't seem to matter. Its like our players have never played professional football where winning is secured by professional behaviour (gamesmanship).

The signings have been baffling,

Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them, we haven't built a team but a collection of players. There is no evidence that our coaching staff have improved the players.

This is going to be controversial but we seem to have a thing for "circus" players, players who have a trick want to run with the ball and beat players, except no one else is running at the same time.

We have lost our way, I've seen it before, all of us have. We've all seen managers struggle to find the right formula.

For some reason this season i am so angry that we have recruited badly, that we are such a poor team, that we are outrun and out organised by other teams.

Im angry that Benson and Zaroury haven't had a chance, I'm angry that Trafford struggles to catch a ball cleanly, I'm even angry at the separate milk for coffee!!

Im getting fed up with VAR, why does Trafford do the Pickford flop everytime he lands on the ball?

Maybe its my age but this season just feels so different, i go from really struggling to go on the turf, then being blazing mad about everything. Is anything going well at the club?

Ive never felt so certain that we don't know what we, who we are, what we stand for as a club, there is no plan to develop the style, no analysis of what is wrong and what we need to put it right.

I am angry that we seem to have thrown everything away.

Im angry that this current group will not walk the championship. We are easy to beat, high ball back post, put Trafford under pressure. High press and we will cough it up.
Another excellent post from a Claret that’s seen it all ,but will be probably be treated on the board as some sort of moaning old bugger
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 pm
Another excellent post from a Claret that’s seen it all ,but will be probably be treated on the board as some sort of moaning old bugger
Yes I remember seeing this. Great post, although as you say it won’t be well received by all.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Poignant post that Jamesy.

I'm half your age but feel the same way in all honesty.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:27 pm

It won’t be well received by all because it’s full of inaccuracies but it seems like we need to get the Simon Bates ‘Our Tune’ music out tonight.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:27 pm
It won’t be well received by all because it’s full of inaccuracies but it seems like we need to get the Simon Bates ‘Our Tune’ music out tonight.
Well done Swizzlestick your the first to criticise a post from a long time passionate Clarets fan,and what are the inaccuracies you are talking about,can’t you see the actual point he’s trying to get over rather than nit picking?
This user liked this post: Rats_cle

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm
Well done Swizzlestick your the first to criticise a post from a long time passionate Clarets fan.
So? I’m a long time passionate Clarets fan. But when somebody posts something like “Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them” - that’s flat out nonsense. As is Trafford doing the Pickford flop every time - again, nonsense (and I’m not a Trafford fan). Where were these soliloquies last season? It’s a **** season, the manager has made major errors but christ, a bit of backbone please.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 pm
So? I’m a long time passionate Clarets fan. But when somebody posts something like “Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them” - that’s flat out nonsense. As is Trafford doing the Pickford flop every time - again, nonsense (and I’m not a Trafford fan). Where were these soliloquies last season? It’s a **** season, the manager has made major errors but christ, a bit of backbone please.
Sorry ,but you just don’t get it ,but when your a little more mature you may reflect and understand what the poster was trying to say .

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:45 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm
Sorry ,but you just don’t get it ,but when your a little more mature you may reflect and understand what the poster was trying to say .
Thank you for the patronising post but I ‘get’ what the poster is trying to put across. Considering what this manager achieved last season, it seems more than a little over dramatic to me considering a Burnley fan of such vintage has sat through some truly dark days. The pace of change has been fast, too fast this season, unarguable, but perhaps we should afford some time for him to rectify things.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:55 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:17 pm
I think part of it is down to the feeling that we are a bit of an irritant for not buying in wholeheartedly to the project of shopping window football to get investors money back with interest, high merchandise and concourse prices and generally grating razzmatazz with sod all interest in our heritage.
A bit of balance please, that only becomes an issue when we are the divisions current whipping boys, last season the marketing of our club didn't seem to bother too many.

the initial takeover criticisms died a death when the team romped to top spot.
fans are fickle the world over. And Im one of them.
This user liked this post: Swizzlestick

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:00 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:45 pm
Thank you for the patronising post but I ‘get’ what the poster is trying to put across. Considering what this manager achieved last season, it seems more than a little over dramatic to me considering a Burnley fan of such vintage has sat through some truly dark days. The pace of change has been fast, too fast this season, unarguable, but perhaps we should afford some time for him to rectify things.
So how long should we give him,until we’re relegated,until we’re in the bottom half of the championship next season,until there’s no chance of us being promoted,until he’s booed off the turf for his inept management skills ,or until his so call project just pie in the sky?

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:00 pm
So how long should we give him,until we’re relegated,until we’re in the bottom half of the championship next season,until there’s no chance of us being promoted,until he’s booed off the turf for his inept management skills ,or until his so call project just pie in the sky?
Wow. Nowt as fickle as the football fan. You give him chance to rectify it if and when we do go down. Do you not think he has earned at least the chance to do that? And if it still isn’t working, you review things.

Did you think his inept management skills were on display last season? Pretty astonished at the lack of patience from such a seasoned fan tbh.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:05 pm
Wow. Nowt as fickle as the football fan. You give him chance to rectify it if and when we do go down. Do you not think he has earned at least the chance to do that? And if it still isn’t working, you review things.

Did you think his inept management skills were on display last season? Pretty astonished at the lack of patience from such a seasoned fan tbh.
This is getting boring your backing for Kompany is admiral ,but if he worked in a factory and was a brilliant section leader and you promoted him and he couldn’t hack it ,would you continue backing him if the company was going to the wall? Obviously not ,end of ,off to bed.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:15 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm
This is getting boring your backing for Kompany is admiral ,but if he worked in a factory and was a brilliant section leader and you promoted him and he couldn’t hack it ,would you continue backing him if the company was going to the wall? Obviously not ,end of ,off to bed.
Sorry my support for our young manager is boring you. I think if that section leader had helped earn our company £100m last year, yes I think I’d give him a bit of leeway if things didn’t go quite to plan in the second year. Especially if he was a relatively young recruit. And the company clearly wasn’t ’going to the wall’. If you want to sack him, you do you.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm
its admirable, but nautical mistakes aside, VK has more than enough about him to merit a lengthy tenure at the Turf.
pub tacticians don't really carry much weight usually, and I am one, but the facts are simple, he was given a job and he has been successful. promotion is a lottery for poorer clubs. Kompany has seen it all as a player, and has no delusional nonsense going on in his head about how tough this league is. There are no saviours out there to improve our lowly position.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:33 pm

Jamesy wrote:
great and very honest post. the media are dominating a once great sport, them and their gambling obsessed monied cohorts. Being a fan is more problematic when cynicism rears its sensible head.
I know you are spot on regarding players apathy towards their employers, its a daft game we play kidding ourselves that it means as much to them.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:42 pm

My love for football diminishes each year, I started watching us in the 80’s and have seen the lows and steady upward climb to where we are now. But to me this year feels different with this emphasis on buying young talent for them to showcase it and for us to make a profit. I get why but that can’t be at the expense of staying in the league. I said to the guy I sit next to, Fofana has now to start to which he then made the point, don’t bet on it, as that would mean Amdouni who is our asset not being in the shop window with his value diminishing, when he put it like that you do realise it’s just about money.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:49 pm

The problem with stuff posted on here is it is full of hyperbole, I recognise the frustration but comments like “ Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them” are ridiculous. Odobert? Koleosho? Redmond (a free but worth £10m at the time)? Berge? Foster? Probably more.

It feels like people are trying to think up reasons not to enjoy it. Ultimately though, this is the responsibility of Kompany and the owners. They have to bring the fans with them. I can’t really recall any rousing impassioned battle cry to get us to do that, just same old sound bites in careful press conferences. They are all a bit wet behind the ears at this, and don’t really know how to get us to go with them.

I’m happy with giving them support though, as long as it is learning and cracking on, not abandoning ship etc.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret burnleymik

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11057 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:57 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:49 pm
The problem with stuff posted on here is it is full of hyperbole, I recognise the frustration but comments like “ Not one player is worth more money now than when we bought them” are ridiculous. Odobert? Koleosho? Redmond (a free but worth £10m at the time)? Berge? Foster? Probably more.

It feels like people are trying to think up reasons not to enjoy it. Ultimately though, this is the responsibility of Kompany and the owners. They have to bring the fans with them. I can’t really recall any rousing impassioned battle cry to get us to do that, just same old sound bites in careful press conferences. They are all a bit wet behind the ears at this, and don’t really know how to get us to go with them.

I’m happy with giving them support though, as long as it is learning and cracking on, not abandoning ship etc.
I think that's pretty much where I'm at with it all. They've clearly made mistakes but I think collectively they'll be smart enough to figure it out (the 3 lads we just brought in certainly look of a higher standard already). If people didn't give others an opportunity to rectify mistakes it would be an even more depressing world than it already is. I might be on my own here too but I'd much rather pay Preston than Crystal Palace anyway

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:51 am

I always look out for comments made by certain posters, CT and Jedi among them, and it’s actually quite shocking to read their thoughts on where we are at. When very reasonable, level headed posters are starting to question the point of it all then it indicates a significant malaise in the fan base that the club would do well to recognise and try and act upon.

There are of course, many reasons why a majority of us now feel the way we do- disconnected. And I do think it’s a majority. I may not be able to attend much, but I have immediate family and friends that are ST holders and they all feel exactly like I do.

I’ve gone from watching every VK press conference, every transfer signing video, to now not remotely paying attention to the last two games we’ve played. I wasn’t interested in transfer deadline day, and who we signed whereas once upon a time I’d be up until 11pm willing us to make a signing.

I’m still VK in, and I still think (and hope) he is the best man for the job, but I would square this diabolical season largely at his door. It’s a steep learning curve, and he is learning, but jeez he needs to evidence that he’s taking some of the lessons on board. It’s just the same bizarre tactics, substitutions and players out of position. There’s no game plan, no high press, no inverted full backs, no patterns in our play, nothing.

We just need this season to be over.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe longsidepies

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:13 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:51 am
I always look out for comments made by certain posters, CT and Jedi among them, and it’s actually quite shocking to read their thoughts on where we are at. When very reasonable, level headed posters are starting to question the point of it all then it indicates a significant malaise in the fan base that the club would do well to recognise and try and act upon.

There are of course, many reasons why a majority of us now feel the way we do- disconnected. And I do think it’s a majority. I may not be able to attend much, but I have immediate family and friends that are ST holders and they all feel exactly like I do.

I’ve gone from watching every VK press conference, every transfer signing video, to now not remotely paying attention to the last two games we’ve played. I wasn’t interested in transfer deadline day, and who we signed whereas once upon a time I’d be up until 11pm willing us to make a signing.

I’m still VK in, and I still think (and hope) he is the best man for the job, but I would square this diabolical season largely at his door. It’s a steep learning curve, and he is learning, but jeez he needs to evidence that he’s taking some of the lessons on board. It’s just the same bizarre tactics, substitutions and players out of position. There’s no game plan, no high press, no inverted full backs, no patterns in our play, nothing.

We just need this season to be over.
It is already :(

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:18 am

And the first thing I would do in the summer is try and bring Ashley Barnes back, (not that he probably would after we threw him on the scrap heap along with all the others that got us up).

It’s beyond laughable to even suggest it, but it would restore at least some connection with the fans, and his work ethic would hopefully galvanise a very lacklustre squad.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2054 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:58 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:18 am
And the first thing I would do in the summer is try and bring Ashley Barnes back, (not that he probably would after we threw him on the scrap heap along with all the others that got us up).

It’s beyond laughable to even suggest it, but it would restore at least some connection with the fans, and his work ethic would hopefully galvanise a very lacklustre squad.
I wonder if, along the lines you are suggesting, the club go back in for Tella over the summer? No idea if it'd be feasible but I'm sure it'd be a popular move.

Going back to your original point, we'll have to see if Kompany can learn from relegation like Dyche clearly did on our return to the Championship and subsequent stay in the top flight.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:44 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 pm
Well done Swizzlestick your the first to criticise a post from a long time passionate Clarets fan,and what are the inaccuracies you are talking about,can’t you see the actual point he’s trying to get over rather than nit picking?
I can think of one glaring one, that none of our players have increased in value?

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:53 am

There are some miserable people on this message board. Look at me, I want to tell you all about my life and about how much I hate watching Burnley nowadays. If you don’t like it just don’t go on the game. We don’t need to hear your sob stories. We need supporters who will stand with us through thick and thin and be positive. We don’t need supporters who are negatively putting us down which passes down to other fans and the team. Yes, its not the best of seasons but for me this is football and what being a Burnley fan is all about. My lad never watched us get beat last year. he hasn't seen us win this year yet. He is only young. But like me, we are still excited to watch the Clarets. When we equalised against Fulham, he had a tear of joy in his eye. He was over the moon. I wish all the negatives would just stay at home.
This user liked this post: northeastclaret

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:30 am

Always hard to know if you’re really ‘falling out of love with football’ or we’re just having a bad season. Not many people are saying this when we’re winning the Championship.

That said, even last season, although it gave me some of the very best moments following Burnley, i still found myself looking forward to non-league weekends at my local club more.

Possibly there is something about ‘connection’. I know a couple of the players there, many of the people in the crowd and you actually believe they’re representing that community. That’s all gone at the top level, even at Burnley now.

There was something about having Dyche and the same team every week - sometimes for years - that made you think it was still our club. Have to admit this season, we do feel like just another bland bit part player in the Premier League franchise / tourist industry. We may as well be Watford or Reading.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:32 am

Have we ever had a home record of
P 12 W1 D2 L9 ?
That tells you what an awful team we have for this league

Claret86
Been Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret86 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:35 am

Worst game of the season for me against a team there for the taking. Play like that at Liverpool and we'll get annihilated

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:58 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:38 pm
There is a hint of irony in you talking about maturity when you take into account the vast majority of your posts.
This user liked this post: Clovius Boofus