Cullen and Muric back in for Saturday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 381 times

Re: Cullen and Muric back in for Saturday?

Post by Carlos the Great » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:47 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:40 pm
James Trafford really is a divisive topic on this board.

We seem to have a number of people on this board who want to go completely overboard with their criticism of him. Comments like at fault for goals in every other game or literally fabricating things to try and blame him for recent goals conceded and single him out rather than other members of the team (or the manager) have all been way over the top this season.

I don’t know of many posters who are saying he has had a brilliant season or that he was worth every penny of his big fee so I’m not really sure why it has become such a divisive topic on this board.

Even many of those who are defending Trafford also feel that Muric should have been given a chance.

A balanced view is that Trafford is improving this season, he’s kept us in a few games but that his inexperience and lack of command and strength in the area has meant that teams have targeted this and it’s cost us (though this has to be in the context of how weak, poor and small the rest of our team has been). I also think a lot of people can see that Muric distributes the ball quicker and more accurately than Trafford and that Trafford’s hesitation and weight of pass has cost us problems and goals.

I don’t see this kind of hatred for the likes of Amdouni and a few other players who have had shocking seasons and cost similar amounts of money.
There is a good reason not many posters are saying he has had a brilliant season and worth every penny

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:50 pm

Enola Gay wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:04 pm
He could have been perfectly happy to stay until the end of this season knowing that an injury or suspension will get him back in, especially with Vigouroux and Franchi both gone.

Come the summer though the dynamic is completely different. If Trafford stays (or leaves and gets replaced by another shiny new toy) the prospect of a season on the bench in the Championship probably won't appeal as much. And even if Trafford goes and Kompany tells Muric he's the Number 1 again, will someone whose been screwed over once want to risk that happening again?

Honest opinion, barring the aforementioned injuries or suspensions I think he's played his last competitive game for Burnley.
Sorry, when did Vigouroux go?

I must've missed that.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:47 pm
There is a good reason not many posters are saying he has had a brilliant season and worth every penny
I know that.
That would be as ludicrous a view as trying to blame him for every goal !

Point is that most people can see he has struggled this season without resorting to the hatred and constant criticism that some people have shown.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:47 pm
He still hasn't been as disappointing as some of the other signings this season though.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm

We’re down anyway so we may as well give Trafford every game for experience. May as well throw Massengo in as well and see what he’s got. I reckon Brownhill will be off in the summer so Massengo could be a regular next season. Cullen proved to be excellent in the championship so we need to keep him interested.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm

It’s rare for me to enter a football related thread on here, especially if it’s gone over 2 pages.

The different transfer fees mentioned for Trafford vary. Did the club pay the full amount (whatever it was) up front? Or is the full amount based on certain outcomes happening? Also, how does Amortisation in the accounts come into this? Does this have anything to do with future resale value?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm
It’s rare for me to enter a football related thread on here, especially if it’s gone over 2 pages.

The different transfer fees mentioned for Trafford vary. Did the club pay the full amount (whatever it was) up front? Or is the full amount based on certain outcomes happening? Also, how does Amortisation in the accounts come into this? Does this have anything to do with future resale value?
Depends who you go off. Romano said £14m fee with £5m in potential add ons. Nixon (first one to report our interest) said £13.7m upfront. So the full, potential amount (£19m) will be dependant on clauses such as Burnley staying up, Trafford getting England caps, Burnley qualifying for Europe and x amount of Premier League games played.

Amortisation in the accounts would look at the upfront fee and spread that out over the contract life. So let’s say 14/4 = 3.5, this would be the figure contributing to the year amortisation amount.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:47 pm

Rather than making more changes, what we need to do is settle on a formation and starting 11 and stick with it. Have we played the same 11 in consecutive league games this season? VK is tinkering every week and it isn't helping anyone, especially our goalkeeper.

I'm sure I read on another thread that we've started 11 different back 4's this season. That's absolutely mind-blowing and only serves to prove that VK still doesn't have a clue what his best team is. How is Trafford meant to build any sort of relationship with his defence if he's playing behind a different back 4 every week. Looking back, Heaton and Pope were unbelievable for us, but I'm sure they'd say they benefited from playing behind a settled back 4 every week.

We've used 10 defenders this season, listed below in order of most league appearances. It's no wonder we're all at sea.
O'Shea (CB), Vitinho (RB, LB), Taylor (LB), Beyer (CB), Roberts (RB), AAD (RB, LB, CB), Delcroix (LB, CB), Ekdal (CB), Assignon (RB) and Esteve (CB).

Rather than singling out players, we should be singling out the manager. Hopefully we'll see a settled back 5 of Trafford, Assignon, O'Shea, Esteve, Vitinho (until Taylor is fit), which might allow them to build some understanding and solidity. If we continue to chop and change we will continue to look like a team of strangers.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:22 pm
and the Trafford Hate Squad take over another thread
It’s people making remarks like that that ruins this board ,do you not understand that this so called hate squad probably live breath and eat Burnley ,I used to think Geoff Nulty should play ,my dad thought it should be Peter Noble ,I didn’t hate Noble like I don’t ate James Trafford but my honest opinion is that he’s not yet good enough ,and i think VK has a bit of a nerve trying to blood a player that might have improved by the end of the season ,but that’s no solace to Burnley fans if it’s relegated to us,and before you reply ,I haven’t said one malicious word called you or swore at you so I would expect a reasoned reply and not “you have an agenda “

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1573 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:16 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:47 pm
Rather than making more changes, what we need to do is settle on a formation and starting 11 and stick with it. Have we played the same 11 in consecutive league games this season? VK is tinkering every week and it isn't helping anyone, especially our goalkeeper.

I'm sure I read on another thread that we've started 11 different back 4's this season. That's absolutely mind-blowing and only serves to prove that VK still doesn't have a clue what his best team is. How is Trafford meant to build any sort of relationship with his defence if he's playing behind a different back 4 every week. Looking back, Heaton and Pope were unbelievable for us, but I'm sure they'd say they benefited from playing behind a settled back 4 every week.

We've used 10 defenders this season, listed below in order of most league appearances. It's no wonder we're all at sea.
O'Shea (CB), Vitinho (RB, LB), Taylor (LB), Beyer (CB), Roberts (RB), AAD (RB, LB, CB), Delcroix (LB, CB), Ekdal (CB), Assignon (RB) and Esteve (CB).

Rather than singling out players, we should be singling out the manager. Hopefully we'll see a settled back 5 of Trafford, Assignon, O'Shea, Esteve, Vitinho (until Taylor is fit), which might allow them to build some understanding and solidity. If we continue to chop and change we will continue to look like a team of strangers.
Defence (and team) has been pretty settled of late bar injuries (lack of suitable cover meaning the odd square peg) and introduction of new players.

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:50 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:52 pm
It’s people making remarks like that that ruins this board ,do you not understand that this so called hate squad probably live breath and eat Burnley ,I used to think Geoff Nulty should play ,my dad thought it should be Peter Noble ,I didn’t hate Noble like I don’t ate James Trafford but my honest opinion is that he’s not yet good enough ,and i think VK has a bit of a nerve trying to blood a player that might have improved by the end of the season ,but that’s no solace to Burnley fans if it’s relegated to us,and before you reply ,I haven’t said one malicious word called you or swore at you so I would expect a reasoned reply and not “you have an agenda “
Just a shame for a thread about potential team changes to be overtaken by Trafford criticism - as so many others have, by a handful of posters who blame team errors on one individual. No personal slur intended against yourself.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1187 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 am

Holtyclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:16 pm
Defence (and team) has been pretty settled of late bar injuries (lack of suitable cover meaning the odd square peg) and introduction of new players.
We’ve used 13 different defence combinations including starting with 6 unique combinations in the last 8 games, plus a different defence starting each half of the game against Fulham. I think that’s quite the polar opposite of settled to be fair.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:17 am

I'd like to see an run of games with them yes.

Cullen looked much better against Spurs and in a less disastrous set up - I think Muric helps his game as well as his passes to feet are just so much quicker.

We have nothing to lose whatsoever by going to a three man midfield and a change of keeper. Doing the same thing as we have been doing is the definition of insanity and is half causing all these debates/points of contention/general feeling of disinterest.

May as well mix it up - least then we can say that we've exhausted all possible options.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5668 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:02 am

I don't see any way Kompany drops Trafford, I get the feeling Trafford could throw the ball in his own net 5 times and Vinnie will still pick him. He's changed everyone else so I don't get why he is being borderline stubborn. That's no slight on Trafford, it's a slight on VK

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1573 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:53 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:53 am
We’ve used 13 different defence combinations including starting with 6 unique combinations in the last 8 games, plus a different defence starting each half of the game against Fulham. I think that’s quite the polar opposite of settled to be fair.
The second quarter of the season was far more settled than the first and brought better results. Not a great deal can be done about injuries and suspensions though. The experimental phase was over and vk started getting the ‘too stubborn to change’ moniker.

Windows closed now so everyone’s in the building and hopefully some better luck (too late) with injuries.

Ekdal getting hooked at half time proved to be for the best.

All the debate about selection always just boils down to how poorly treated Muric has been and that Traff is league one. A debate for last September but moronically still ruining threads now.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Luppy
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:30 am

Anyone harbouring any belief that Trafford will be dropped is very much mistaken. Won't happen - not a chance

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:08 am

I see little point in going over the Muric debate again (other than if Muric is playing then that would benefit Cullen in the way the ball is distributed to him)

I think Cullen has been a bit harshly treated. He started the season but in a team that was all over the place most weeks. The weakness of our defence and keeper really impacted Cullen’s game and effectiveness. The pressing of other teams and closing down of space made it very difficult for him to do the things he was good at last season.

Berge came in and played well and it bringing Brownhill in and dropping Cullen was probably the right thing to do at the time.

However Brownhill’s form has dropped off alarmingly in the last couple of months and Berge was out suspended and then poorly for a few weeks. The team had improved our performances during this period too and I think Cullen deserved a chance to play in a team that was playing a bit better.

He was our best player against Spurs in the cup and now he appears frozen out again (not even coming on as sub against Fulham)

And the really baffling thing is some of the players week in week out who are getting a chance before Cullen. We are massively lacking a leader / captain i our team. Not saying Cullen is Tony Adams but of everyone in the squad I think he would be the best person to captain the team.

Robbie_painter
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Robbie_painter » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:08 am
I see little point in going over the Muric debate again (other than if Muric is playing then that would benefit Cullen in the way the ball is distributed to him)

I think Cullen has been a bit harshly treated. He started the season but in a team that was all over the place most weeks. The weakness of our defence and keeper really impacted Cullen’s game and effectiveness. The pressing of other teams and closing down of space made it very difficult for him to do the things he was good at last season.

Berge came in and played well and it bringing Brownhill in and dropping Cullen was probably the right thing to do at the time.

However Brownhill’s form has dropped off alarmingly in the last couple of months and Berge was out suspended and then poorly for a few weeks. The team had improved our performances during this period too and I think Cullen deserved a chance to play in a team that was playing a bit better.

He was our best player against Spurs in the cup and now he appears frozen out again (not even coming on as sub against Fulham)

And the really baffling thing is some of the players week in week out who are getting a chance before Cullen. We are massively lacking a leader / captain i our team. Not saying Cullen is Tony Adams but of everyone in the squad I think he would be the best person to captain the team.
I agree with most of that except the captain bit,I personally think Berge would make a good captain and has experience doing it with his country.