My Prostrate Diagnosis

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Re: My Prostrate Diagnosis

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:25 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am
PSA is only a guide?
And the results can be misleading if you have had sex, solo sex or even riding a bicycle in couple of days leading up to having a PSA test.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:42 pm

beddie wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:15 pm
Apologies for doing another thread but I didn’t want anyone to miss it.

As some on here wanted an update after my visit last night to the Hospital to see the Urologist here it is

Background.
A total knee replacement on 10/01 resulted in me not being able to pee, they kept me in for a further 2 days but I still couldn’t pee. A catheter was fitted, I had to come back a week later for the catheter to be removed and spend the day at Hospital drinking as much water as I could in 6 hours, any peeing in that time had to be measured, by tea time they decided another catheter had to be fitted and a Urologist appointment was made as I still had a litre of water in my bladder that wouldn’t come out.

Last night the Urologist gave me a thorough examination and concluded I have an enlarged prostrate, it will require surgery. The best way he explained it was to imagine an orange, the pith inside the orange has to be completely cut away into very small pieces so it can be flushed out through the penis tube. The outer orange skin stays as it is. Many on here will know the operation is called a TURP-Trans-urethral resection of the prostate - should you wish to look it up. it will require either a general anaesthetic or a spinal, the operation should last around 60 to 90 minutes. I’m waiting for a date now but still wearing the catheter :x Because I’ve recently had the knee op it may be too soon to do the TURP although they’re looking into that.

Symptons. Peeing more frequently and urgently, Finding it difficult to begin peeing, Accidentally leaking pee, Straining to pee
Needing to pee during the night, Difficulty fully emptying your bladder.

Can I suggest for any man that’s suffering any of the above symptoms regardless of whether you go for a yearly blood test to check your PSA you should immediately see your Doctor as treating it early is the best way of preventing further problems. I was told that a PSA test is only a guide.

One final thing. I’ve had yearly Blood tests via my Doctor and they’ve always shown my PSA to be in the right scale. Ive had peeing problems as mentioned in the symptoms above for sometime but did nothing about it, my wife would constantly be on at me to see the Doctor, I said I would but kept putting it off. Without the knee op I’d have probably allowed the problem to continue.

So Gentleman if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above please, please see your Doctor. Just think about your partner or loved ones and do it for them.

Thanks everyone for your good luck messages. I’ll keep you posted when I get a date etc.
Hi Beddie,I am assuming that you are having the op/procedure through the NHS and not privately.
If so one thing I would advise you would be very pro active and even a bit pushy but in a polite way when you are on the waiting list. If you just sit at home waiting for your operation appointment date it could take a long time. I used to be in regular contact with the waiting list co - ordinator and also the urology department to try and speed things up. I also a few times even went down to the Hospital without an appointment and would try and speak with someone to push things along. The last time I did this I was actually given a date for my op. So it worked for me.
The other thing that you should be aware of is to check your blood sugar levels before you have your Pre Op Assessment appointment. Your blood sugar levels have to be I think it is 8.5 or below or they will not operate. And then your op will be delayed further by a few weeks. So get self testing blood sugar monitor from your GP.
And again good luck my Friend

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm

* At your pre op assessment appointment they will give you a HbA1c blood test that will measure your average blood glucose sugar levels over the previous 3 months. And it is this average figure that has to be I think 8.5 or under

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:36 pm

Hi mkmel. Thank you for the tips. Yes NHS. I’ve just had the bad news from the Urologist secretary that the earliest I can be done is June. If I’m honest I can accept the wait but it’s having to wear this awful catheter day and night that’s depressing me. I’m normally very active and I’m working hard on my knee excercises which is getting better by the day, but being active with this horrible bag on my other leg is just awful.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:50 pm

I had catheters for 8 long months! 3 months here in the Philippines and 5 months in England.

I used to have a half litre bag at night time.

And during the day I changed to a flip flow valve which doesn't require a bag. I just had to open the valve every time I felt I needed to pee and then after urinating I simply closed the valve.
I got mine from my local community nurse. She put me on to a company in Peterborough called Coloplast who supplied me with flip flow valves, catheters and bags etc

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:57 pm

I would still strongly advise you to be proactive and in regular contact with the hospital to get you an appointment for your op. What with doctors whether consultants or junior doctors on strikes it can take many months to get an operation date.
Oh and another tip is that when you are actually on the waiting list say to them that are able to and very willing to go on their cancellation list. They do have people cancelling their operations so let them know that you would like to be considered to take their place if anyone does cancel their appointment

beddie

Post by beddie » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:14 pm

mkmel. Again thank you for the interesting information. I’ll definitely keep pushing the hospital. The flip flow valve sounds interesting I’ll definitely look at that.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:15 pm

For me the flip flow valve was a god send. And a hundred times better than a bag. So easy to use and not bulky at all. You won't regret having one during the day.

beddie

Post by beddie » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:33 am

mkmel wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:15 pm
For me the flip flow valve was a god send. And a hundred times better than a bag. So easy to use and not bulky at all. You won't regret having one during the day.
I had a bit of a melt down in the week with the constant wearing of the bag, the night time situation etc. probably partly due to me receiving a letter advising that they can’t do the operation until June or even July. So I’m looking around at Private but the cost is something else. From my research and speaking with an NHS secretary it appears a great number of NHS hospitals have really long lists for Men waiting for this type of operation. When I read the paperwork in regard to what are the “ side effects” and risks it gave me the wobbles.

Vincent'sCap
Been Liked: 246 times

Post by Vincent'sCap » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am

Good luck Beddie I wish you all the best in your battle with this terrible disease, it really is a scandal men are not routinely screened for prostrate cancer.

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:45 am

The alternative is to have a catheter for the rest of your life.
Please take all of my bits of advice and think positive. While you are waiting for a date for your op definitely get a flip flow valve which is so easy for you to fit and use during the day. 100 times better than having a bag strapped to your leg all day. And during warm weather you can also wear shorts and no one will ever know that you have a catheter as it is completely out of sight.
Definitely keep in regular contact with your waiting list co - ordinator and urology department and be pro active and a bit pushy but in a polite manner.
I flew into England from the Philippines with basically a blank sheet of paper. I didn't even have a doctor's appointment to explain why I had returned to England.
From the day of me landing in England to the day of my op it took 5 months.
And I know if I hadn't been so pro active and pushy but in a polite way I am sure it would have taken a month or two longer.
It was very hard work and mentally very stressful but I am fortunate to have a positive approach to virtually everything in my life.
Be positive and proactive Beddie
And good luck my Friend.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:49 am

mkmel wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:45 am

It was very hard work and mentally very stressful but I am fortunate to have a positive approach to virtually everything in my life.
Polite it might have been but it's also selfish, and displaces someone else in the queue. Positive approach ?
- Positively self-centered.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 330 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:59 am

Sorry, I disagree Bullabill. There’s nothing wrong in keeping in contact with the people who are sorting things for you, especially in this day and age. Doing it politely and calmly, reminding people you are still waiting - I don’t see it as a problem. Too many people get missed, lost in the system, and forgotten about….seen this firsthand.
I wish you well Beddie.
This user liked this post: mkmel

mkmel

Post by mkmel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:41 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:49 am
Polite it might have been but it's also selfish, and displaces someone else in the queue. Positive approach ?
- Positively self-centered.
What a stupid comment!

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:46 pm

Some silly comments on this post ,my wife has a stoma after bowel cancer ,and for anyone whose not aware what it is ,the rectum is sealed and everything goes into a bag strapped to your stomach.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:47 pm

mkmel wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:45 am
The alternative is to have a catheter for the rest of your life.
Please take all of my bits of advice and think positive. While you are waiting for a date for your op definitely get a flip flow valve which is so easy for you to fit and use during the day. 100 times better than having a bag strapped to your leg all day. And during warm weather you can also wear shorts and no one will ever know that you have a catheter as it is completely out of sight.
Definitely keep in regular contact with your waiting list co - ordinator and urology department and be pro active and a bit pushy but in a polite manner.
I flew into England from the Philippines with basically a blank sheet of paper. I didn't even have a doctor's appointment to explain why I had returned to England.
From the day of me landing in England to the day of my op it took 5 months.
And I know if I hadn't been so pro active and pushy but in a polite way I am sure it would have taken a month or two longer.
Be positive and proactive Beddie
And good luck my Friend.
you don't have to wear a catheter bag you can always be trained to catheter yourself which makes it a lot easier as i found out after having a catheter bag for over five months...