JJ Watt...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Re: JJ Watt...

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:58 pm

staggering stuff

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:58 pm
staggering stuff
Best ignored mate.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:47 pm
Franky it was a disgrace he didn’t get a medal for his role in last season’s title campaign.

I felt for him standing on the open top bus with his team-mates and the Championship trophy but no medal.

Maybe we should petition the EFL to right this wrong?
Thank god our fanbase isn’t completely made up of people with attitudes like this.
These 5 users liked this post: Vegas Claret Turfytop Holtyclaret theonlywayisup louieollie

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 846 times

Post by Murger » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:15 pm

How anyone can criticise what JJ is doing is beyond me.
This user liked this post: louieollie

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:22 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:01 pm
Best ignored mate.
going to now

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:23 pm

magnificent effort
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-13 3.22.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-13 3.22.09 PM.png (150.75 KiB) Viewed 1679 times

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:29 pm

Murger wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:15 pm
How anyone can criticise what JJ is doing is beyond me.
The only ‘criticism’ was suggesting that when he gets airtime on tv to talk about Burnley that he might try talking about something other than bloody Bene and Hot every time.

That was it.

But even that mildest, constructive criticism is enough to upset the more touchy.

If you really think that endlessly repeating the origin tale about Benedictine is ‘promoting the club’ then I don’t know what to say.

He could talk about the Orient Game, or even about us being the smallest town to win the league, or all manner of things from our rich history, but every, single time its Bene and Hot.

Baffling and wasted opportunities.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:36 am

forzagranata wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:29 pm
The only ‘criticism’ was suggesting that when he gets airtime on tv to talk about Burnley that he might try talking about something other than bloody Bene and Hot every time.

That was it.

But even that mildest, constructive criticism is enough to upset the more touchy.

If you really think that endlessly repeating the origin tale about Benedictine is ‘promoting the club’ then I don’t know what to say.

He could talk about the Orient Game, or even about us being the smallest town to win the league, or all manner of things from our rich history, but every, single time its Bene and Hot.

Baffling and wasted opportunities.
He has frequently talked about Burnley being a working class town and has made fun of himself calling Burnley a city at first, can you point 5 or 6 times other than to the guys on the cbs show with abdo, Henry and Richards were he has told the exact same bene n hot story?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:36 am
He has frequently talked about Burnley being a working class town and has made fun of himself calling Burnley a city at first, can you point 5 or 6 times other than to the guys on the cbs show with abdo, Henry and Richards were he has told the exact same bene n hot story?
the American sports culture involves people meeting up and eating and drinking before games in the parking lots, it couldn't be a better topic of conversation tbh as an intro to Burnley, turning that into a derogatory point just shows a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the audience. Fair enough, he doesn't live in the US so might not know but I highly doubt it. JJ's words are carefully chosen

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:08 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 am
the American sports culture involves people meeting up and eating and drinking before games in the parking lots, it couldn't be a better topic of conversation tbh as an intro to Burnley, turning that into a derogatory point just shows a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the audience. Fair enough, he doesn't live in the US so might not know but I highly doubt it. JJ's words are carefully chosen
I've lived in the US, working in sport, for over 12 years mate - and you're talking nonsense.

Maybe once he could bring it up as a 'cute' story. But it's almost every time - including, unbelievably, on the Jimmy Fallon Show (a top US talk show) where a Bene tasting made up the bulk of his appearance.

A mate of mine, who is a sports savvy PR guy, was utterly flummoxed by it. He's done brilliantly to get the airtime, the opportunity, but rather than promote the 'Burnley brand' - he talks about a drink that most Burnley fans rarely, if ever, touch and which is a very minor part of the Burnley football culture.

He's a great guy who has been very, very badly advised.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:18 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:08 am
I've lived in the US, working in sport, for over 12 years mate - and you're talking nonsense.

Maybe once he could bring it up as a 'cute' story. But it's almost every time - including, unbelievably, on the Jimmy Fallon Show (a top US talk show) where a Bene tasting made up the bulk of his appearance.

A mate of mine, who is a sports savvy PR guy, was utterly flummoxed by it. He's done brilliantly to get the airtime, the opportunity, but rather than promote the 'Burnley brand' - he talks about a drink that most Burnley fans rarely, if ever, touch and which is a very minor part of the Burnley football culture.

Funny enough, I know who you all are via various social media's which is why the petty comments especially on the podcast always surprise me and why I point them out as completely unnecessary. You crack on with them though as you feel fit, I'll carry on criticizing you for them.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 am

The sad thing is - JJ is from Wisconsin and of course, the local NFL team are Green Bay Packers are a famous old club, legendary from the 1960's era in particular, who hail from the smallest town in the NFL, where the famous old stadium is in the centre of town and the football team is what they town is known for beyond anything else.

The parallels with Burnley are incredible and talking about that is something that would instantly be understandable and recognizable to American sports fans in a way that talking about bloody Bene and Hot never can be.

To be fair, its tough task trying to win Americans over to support a club that isn't one of the Big Six. Fulham had some success because of their American players over the years (Dempsey, Bocanegra etc) and of course Wrexham has been a phenomena because of the owners, but the idea that talking about Bene and Hot is going to make any impact is just silly.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:33 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 am
The sad thing is - JJ is from Wisconsin and of course, the local NFL team are Green Bay Packers are a famous old club, legendary from the 1960's era in particular, who hail from the smallest town in the NFL, where the famous old stadium is in the centre of town and the football team is what they town is known for beyond anything else.

The parallels with Burnley are incredible and talking about that is something that would instantly be understandable and recognizable to American sports fans in a way that talking about bloody Bene and Hot never can be.
Now you see, if you had approached the topic with that rather than the petty way you put it originally about bene etc I would have agreed with your points 100%. Plenty of others pointed it out to you as well. That almost feels like I'm telling you how to say something and that's really not my intent whatsoever, but if you want to make your point (and this here is a good and perfectly valid one) it might serve you and the podcast better if you chose that tone rather than the other. Like I said on the podcast thread, it has so much potential especially (I would imagine) with Boden's contacts, just the petty stuff let's it down - there are plenty of funny bits without it. I hope you take the criticism in the constructive way it is intended, it's never intended to be personal on here

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:37 am

I honestly don't know what your problem is mate.

Let's move on.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:38 am

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:37 am
I honestly don't know what your problem is mate.

Let's move on.
that's the issue, oblivious.

Moving on :lol:

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2694 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:48 am

iF IT'S COME TO THIS (ABOVE WHOLE THREAD)

WE ALL KNOW FINALLY - IT'S JUST ALL ********.

THE GAME HAS LONG GONE.
BFC ?

Lord_Bob
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Lord_Bob » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44 am

Typical Beehole end message board stuff. Guy doing his best to promote BFC, invests probably millions, and gets shot down over Bene & Hots.

Burnley "supporters" always got to find a way to trash their own team. Miserable lot.

I grew up watching Burnley in the 60's / 70's. Moved to US, saw JJ at University of Wisconsin, saw him become a great NFL player, saw what he did for charity, saw what he did for Burnley.

But too much Bene and Hot? Get a grip - this guy is doing a hell of a lot for the club. If Pace brings in people like JJ Watt - we are going to be OK.

JJ Watt is EXACTLY the type of person you would want associated with your club, but let's find something to make him look like an idiot, rather than support him trying to make the club a more global presence, which might lead to more money coming in and better players coming in and making us a competitive EPL team.
These 17 users liked this post: Quicknick Foshiznik Nori1958 gandhisflipflop Bob Lorder NewClaret HahaYeah PremierLeagueClass Goody1975 Vegas Claret gukwonan THEWELLERNUT70 Holtyclaret cblantfanclub Downhamclaret louieollie JohnDearyMe

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:40 am

forzagranata wrote:

Do you know the history of the drink, and why it's drunk in Burnley? Surely if you did you wouldn't be making comments like you do. It's not about Burnley fans drinking it, or being a small part of the football culture, it's about the history of the town, and lots of brave men from the town, many who were Burnley football club fans. If by mentioning the drink it encourages people to look at it's history then that can only be a good thing, can it not?

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 am

Lord_Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44 am
Typical Beehole end message board stuff. Guy doing his best to promote BFC, invests probably millions, and gets shot down over Bene & Hots.

Burnley "supporters" always got to find a way to trash their own team. Miserable lot.

I grew up watching Burnley in the 60's / 70's. Moved to US, saw JJ at University of Wisconsin, saw him become a great NFL player, saw what he did for charity, saw what he did for Burnley.

But too much Bene and Hot? Get a grip - this guy is doing a hell of a lot for the club. If Pace brings in people like JJ Watt - we are going to be OK.

JJ Watt is EXACTLY the type of person you would want associated with your club, but let's find something to make him look like an idiot, rather than support him trying to make the club a more global presence, which might lead to more money coming in and better players coming in and making us a competitive EPL team.

Brilliant post lord Bob. The issue that some fans have with the owners is that they came in and got rid of people and in doing so the click at the club. Those that were part of that click are no longer so and they’re bitter but the changes needed to be made long ago. The other issue some fans have is that they live in a comfort zone, a Burnley bubble if you like. To them, having a local club for local people is paramount. They don’t like to see the club trying to expand its horizons, because it threatens that notion and in doing so the small time corner shop mentality that previously reeked the club out. They would be happy to exist bobbling along in the championship, with the occasional foray into the PL but once they just be thankful and happy to be there. That isn’t what sport is about.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:49 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 am
Brilliant post lord Bob. The issue that some fans have with the owners is that they came in and got rid of people and in doing so the click at the club. Those that were part of that click are no longer so and they’re bitter but the changes needed to be made long ago. The other issue some fans have is that they live in a comfort zone, a Burnley bubble if you like. To them, having a local club for local people is paramount. They don’t like to see the club trying to expand its horizons, because it threatens that notion and in doing so the small time corner shop mentality that previously reeked the club out. They would be happy to exist bobbling along in the championship, with the occasional foray into the PL but once they just be thankful and happy to be there. That isn’t what sport is about.
That's a total misrepresentation of some fans' actual views on why they don't like the owners and it's actually more the ownership model and a general view in how football is changing for (in a lot of fans' views) for the worse, which is pretty strongly correlated with the influx of foreign ownership and as the PL 'brand' is grown accros the globe.

Being against that doesn't mean you're a "local club for local people" Royston Vasey type, just disgruntled/unhappy/disillusioned with the sport as it with each passing season seemingly gets less 'sporting' more 'entertainment business' and really loses contact with it's roots.

You wouldn't accuse Bayern Munich or Dortmund fans of their discontent, but because it's Burnley it's just easy to throw them lazy tropes and totally misrepresent people's arguments.

Not only that, your post doesn't even make sense considering we had "the click" (whatever/whoever they are I don't know) as part of our most successful period since the 70s.
Last edited by CoolClaret on Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Foshiznik spt_claret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:49 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
I'd say there are very few against JJ Watt, but those who have any issues with the ownership are more of the opinion similar to mine that they are concerned about the financial risks involved that will hurt the club rather than the owners. All signs since the takeover have pointed to good ownership for me, but until that debt is gone and we are a financial sustained club again i will always have that concern, as will others.

There might have been a few who weren't happy when the old guard were let go from the club at the time, but i can't say i've seen anyone hold it against them long term.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret spt_claret

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:11 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:49 am
That's a total misrepresentation of some fans' actual views on why they don't like the owners and it's actually more the ownership model and a general view in how football is changing for (in a lot of fans' views) for the worse, which is pretty strongly correlated with the influx of foreign ownership and as the PL 'brand' is grown accros the globe.

Being against that doesn't mean you're a "local club for local people" Royston Vasey type, just disgruntled/unhappy/disillusioned with the sport as it with each passing season seemingly gets less 'sporting' more 'entertainment business' and really loses contact with it's roots.

You wouldn't accuse Bayern Munich or Dortmund fans of their discontent, but because it's Burnley it's just easy to throw them lazy tropes and totally misrepresent people's arguments.

Not only that, your post doesn't even make sense considering we had "the click" (whatever/whoever they are I don't know) as part of our most successful period since the 70s.
The only person at the club who was let go as part of the takeover that i can remember caused some short term criticism from memory was Darren Bentley, which i assume is one of those in the clique being mentioned?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:26 am

Foshiznik wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:11 am
The only person at the club who was let go as part of the takeover that i can remember caused some short term criticism from memory was Darren Bentley, which i assume is one of those in the clique being mentioned?
Something like that - I don't really know in all honesty.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:03 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
That’s just a load of nonsense IMHO.
I don’t know of one supporter who would be happy bobbling along in the championship and tbh I very much doubt you do either.

As for getting rid of cliques do you know how many staff they got rid of ? All they did was replace them with their own cliques. There was little or no science or strategy to it. Has it saved any money or raised additional revenues ?

I enjoy the exposure JJ Watt gives us abroad and think this is one of the things the owners have got right. I look around me on match day at our facilities and the ground and I don’t see much else that has improved though. I know that a lot of long standing sponsors who have put a lot of money into the club have left because of the way they have been treated by the new owners.

Charging nearly £50k a season for a box - is that your definition of what “sport is about” ?

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:59 pm

We moaned about the previous owners. They wouldn't invest.

We get new owners who have invested in everything. This message board moans.

Give it a rest. Have a day off. Be supportive. Enjoy the tide.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:05 pm

The thing is, they did invest and took us as far as they could go.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:08 pm

We need to be a global presence. Since that Netflix documentary, you can't move for Sunderland shirts now. The players are household names, and the Stadium of Light is a mecca for soccer fans descending to the Northeast from all over the world.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 pm

JimmyRobbo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:59 pm
We moaned about the previous owners. They wouldn't invest.

We get new owners who have invested in everything. This message board moans.

Give it a rest. Have a day off. Be supportive. Enjoy the tide.
What exactly have the new owners invested?

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:54 pm

forzagranata wrote:

Oh so because you have a mate who’s a savy PR guy, what JJ Watt said must he terrible.

Still waiting for you to reference the other 5 or 6 times in which the pain points of JJ Watts interview have been about Bene n hot, drinking it on Jimmy fallon one time and then having a 10 second conversation about bene n hot last week before moving on to talking about actually talking about Burnley’s current situation.

God forbid there’s someone else in America talking about Burnley other than you
This user liked this post: RVclaret

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:55 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 pm
What exactly have the new owners invested?
Invested doesn’t have to mean financial

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:57 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:08 pm
We need to be a global presence. Since that Netflix documentary, you can't move for Sunderland shirts now. The players are household names, and the Stadium of Light is a mecca for soccer fans descending to the Northeast from all over the world.
A lot of waffle that for absolutely no relevance to what JJ Watt said

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:44 pm

quite amusing that people who like to hand out criticism can't take it themselves. Maybe they should think on that.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:49 pm

forzagranata wrote:

"very, very badly advised"
Absolute nonsense

You do realise that Jimmy Fallon and his researchers would have a major input to which direction the show goes in, just maybe they pushed the Bene 'n,' Hot element of the interview, it adds a fun element to the show, it isn't Sky Sports News.

Other media outlets hear the Fallon interview and want to start their interview with a light hearted talk about a strange drink they've never heard of.

He is a good bloke and shouldn't be used as someone to beat because he is part of the new ownership model.

Looking at the opinions on this thread you appear to be in the minority. 🤷

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:00 pm

forzagranata wrote:

This mate of yours is ? Care to name some of his clients

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1037 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:00 pm

Lord_Bob wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44 am

Spot on, although I'll find it bloody hilarious too if Benedictine is the shirt sponsor for next season

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:33 pm

lets all agree Benny and Hot is dreadful, only a minority drink it, its not a remotely interesting point of town, but his story makes a great anecdote. Lets face it, the likes of the Jimmy Fallon show are highly scripted. Talking about it doesnt bother me.

trendy thing to talk about aint it, similar to the roadworks, the 110 club closing, people claiming haffners pies to be the best in the land. just fluff

keep it up JJ, youre doing a great job.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:33 pm
lets all agree Benny and Hot is dreadful, only a minority drink it, its not a remotely interesting point of town, but his story makes a great anecdote. Lets face it, the likes of the Jimmy Fallon show are highly scripted. Talking about it doesnt bother me.

trendy thing to talk about aint it, similar to the roadworks, the 110 club closing, people claiming haffners pies to be the best in the land. just fluff

keep it up JJ, youre doing a great job.
Yep - agree with all that.

Maybe he'll start mixing it up a bit in the future. The Bene story - which he's now told on at least four shows/podcasts, has certainly run its course.

Ightenhill_Claret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ightenhill_Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:04 pm

I think I might be in the minority on the From The Bee Hole End podcast crew but I do genuinely love Bene! I even bought a set of four of these monstrosities on eBay when drunk a couple of years ago... Don't tell the missus but they cost me a small fortune! :lol:
ce486f21e117146473ceb324331bcd22.jpeg
ce486f21e117146473ceb324331bcd22.jpeg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 920 times
These 3 users liked this post: Vegas Claret PremierLeagueClass Goody1975

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:19 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:32 pm
Yep - agree with all that.

Maybe he'll start mixing it up a bit in the future. The Bene story - which he's now told on at least four shows/podcasts, has certainly run its course.
So you have gone from 5 or 6 times on shows to at least 4 shows/podcasts, make your mind up.

You still can’t identify the times he has done either

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:33 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:19 pm
So you have gone from 5 or 6 times on shows to at least 4 shows/podcasts, make your mind up.

You still can’t identify the times he has done either
Yawn.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:38 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:33 pm
Yawn.
The reply of someone who can’t back up his busy chat

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 pm

forzagranata wrote:

Couple of points on this:

- I can’t understand your assessment that very few Burnley fans drink Bene. The bars I go to on Matchday, or used to go to, sell buckets of the stuff. Certainly it’s my go to drink in the colder months. Theres plenty that drink it and easily enough to consider it our unofficial drink.

- I can’t imagine he’s taken any advice over this whatsoever.

- He did the one show you’re referring to, where it was a quite funny piece (I thought) and I’m pretty sure the producers were involved in deciding the topic. Then the interview last weekend where the interviewer asked him a question about it. Thats all I’ve seen. Then he does the Pat Mcafee show every week and never mentions it. I don’t call that rinsing it at all.

I would agree that there are other ways to promote the club and maybe he’ll get around to them in time.

From my perspective he’s a top guy, our only voice over there, seems the perfect investor so he can talk about what he likes.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:45 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 pm
Couple of points on this:

- I can’t understand your assessment that very few Burnley fans drink Bene. The bars I go to on Matchday, or used to go to, sell buckets of the stuff. Certainly it’s my go to drink in the colder months. Theres plenty that drink it and easily enough to consider it our unofficial drink.

- I can’t imagine he’s taken any advice over this whatsoever.

- He did the one show you’re referring to, where it was a quite funny piece (I thought) and I’m pretty sure the producers were involved in deciding the topic. Then the interview last weekend where the interviewer asked him a question about it. Thats all I’ve seen. Then he does the Pat Mcafee show every week and never mentions it. I don’t call that rinsing it at all.

I would agree that there are other ways to promote the club and maybe he’ll get around to them in time.

From my perspective he’s a top guy, our only voice over there, seems the perfect investor so he can talk about what he likes.
The pat mcafee show is the perfect example of him talking about all different aspects of Burnley but that doesn’t get mentioned because someone can’t spin a negative on that. There’s time for them to find a way to put a negative spin on his appearances on that show at some point

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:45 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:23 am

To be fair, its tough task trying to win Americans over to support a club that isn't one of the Big Six. Fulham had some success because of their American players over the years (Dempsey, Bocanegra etc) and of course Wrexham has been a phenomena because of the owners, but the idea that talking about Bene and Hot is going to make any impact is just silly.
I have been banging the drum for our club to exploit the Wisconsin/Greenbay angle for years - it seems the perfect way to reach an American audience in terms they not only understand but have a deep and widespread affection for. JJ Watt is the perfect vehicle by which to do that and for whatever reason he has underplayed it, it is a shame because everything that is so good about him and his family would make it resonate that much more strongly.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:57 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:45 pm
The pat mcafee show is the perfect example of him talking about all different aspects of Burnley but that doesn’t get mentioned because someone can’t spin a negative on that. There’s time for them to find a way to put a negative spin on his appearances on that show at some point
That Pat McAfee stuff is great - for the target audience of American NFL/sports fans. The banter is about the team and it genuinely does raise the profile of the club with American sports fans.

I don't think his loyal fans on this message board need to worry about him being offended by the suggestion that the Benedictine story has run its course.

I'm reliably informed he wasn't offended by banter about him doing a John Terry on the open top bus so I doubt the mildest of suggestions on a fan forum is going to upset him.

Looking forward to talking about it all with him on the podcast in the near future.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:07 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:57 pm
That Pat McAfee stuff is great - for the target audience of American NFL/sports fans. The banter is about the team and it genuinely does raise the profile of the club with American sports fans.

I don't think his loyal fans on this message board need to worry about him being offended by the suggestion that the Benedictine story has run its course.

I'm reliably informed he wasn't offended by banter about him doing a John Terry on the open top bus so I doubt the mildest of suggestions on a fan forum is going to upset him.

Looking forward to talking about it all with him on the podcast in the near future.
There is also nothing wrong with the one comment he made in passing about loving going to the pub to drink it and then talking about the relegation battle. It’s hardly the focus of any segment he has.

Calling out your comment about him repeating the bene n hot story (which he doesn’t) it’s people being his loyal fans, it’s calling out fans trying to put a negative spin on anything the club does.
It’s just like putting a negative spin on the partnership with Dundee or the negative comments about the FA names and numbers

By all accounts he was invited on the players open top bus by Barnes

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm

Got to admire your desire to protect JJ from any 'negativity' but seriously man, look at the guy, you think he has such a thin skin and needs the protection?

I'd be willing to bet he is tired of telling the Bene and Hot story anyway - he kind of winced on the CBS Sports clip when he realized that he'd left it open for Kate Abdo to ask about it.

He'll be moving on to other content and conversations I am sure.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:45 pm
I have been banging the drum for our club to exploit the Wisconsin/Greenbay angle for years - it seems the perfect way to reach an American audience in terms they not only understand but have a deep and widespread affection for. JJ Watt is the perfect vehicle by which to do that and for whatever reason he has underplayed it, it is a shame because everything that is so good about him and his family would make it resonate that much more strongly.
I don’t actually know anything about the NFL so don’t understand this, but I’d love this thread to be a positive one and full of people’s ideas on how JJ could best promote the club abroad….

Maybe shows he could go on, angles he could take, etc, etc.

He also said his part of his plan was to attract other investors so I’d love to know how he’s getting on with that - whether he has & they’re silent investors or whether he just can’t get any other famous people interested.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:14 pm

There's only one here with a thin skin
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:17 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:15 pm
Got to admire your desire to protect JJ from any 'negativity' but seriously man, look at the guy, you think he has such a thin skin and needs the protection?

I'd be willing to bet he is tired of telling the Bene and Hot story anyway - he kind of winced on the CBS Sports clip when he realized that he'd left it open for Kate Abdo to ask about it.

He'll be moving on to other content and conversations I am sure.
how are you not getting this is not about JJ ?