New York

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
todclaret
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: New York

Post by todclaret » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:48 pm

edison wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:54 pm
Try to get out of Manhattan, even if it's just a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - there's a great pizza place at the Brooklyn end called Grimaldi's. Prospect Park and Greenwood Cemetery are interesting. You could also get the subway down to Coney Island, ride the Cyclone and get a hotdog at Nathan's.
I'd support this suggestion.
I have taken the PATH from Manhattan across to New Jersey as a break from the hustle and bustle on my visits. There's excellent views to be had across the river from Hoboken and Jersey City. One stop from World Trade Centre takes you to Exchange Place. Grab a Starbuck's, soak up the skyline and get some great pictures.
It's only a short walk from there in to Jersey City which I found to be more peaceful and a little cheaper than Manhattan and the same can be said about Hoboken.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/about.html

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but on my visit last February I caned the subway system. A week long pass was $33, allowing me to travel all over. I went all the way down to Coney Island to see the Wonderwheel (any fans of "The Warriors"?). Also cover the costs to/from JFK

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:05 pm

Keg Room in midtown is great for watching sport and they serve decent food too. The steak and cheese sandwich is very good.

Bo's Bagels for breakfast in Harlem. Get the 'everything bagel'. Best I've ever had.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge for Sunrise and then keep walking a short distance in to Brooklyn and find Clark's. Very good breakfast. That good I went 4 times in 10 days.

Andrew's NYC Diner - Classic authentic American diner. Great pancakes and waffles, and the coffee is brilliant on a cold morning.

Enjoy! I'm not at all jealous :roll: :D

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:23 pm

There are some very good local’s bars after crossing the Brooklyn Bridge on the outskirts of Brooklyn, where you will be made most welcome. Craft beers and bar meals on offer.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:40 am

Staten Island Ferry is very good (maybe free) or was when I’ve been in the past. Get a subway pass and just take random stops and wonder about. Eat/drink mostly outside the main tourist spots. It’ll be cheaper but also better quality. Some great galleries if that your thing (moma/the met). Observation wise, I’d say the Rockefeller is the best bet.

Best city in the world Imo. It’s brilliant. Wanted to go myself in April, but Berlin for me instead :lol:

Acting Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Acting Claret » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:03 am

Coney Island will be closed down at that time of year. Worth a walk on the boardwalk and a couple of tourist shops open.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:40 am

Got a week booked in Sept, first time looking forward to it.

I recommend the YouTuber 'HereBeBarr', tons of content you might find a few ideas.
For example, he recommends Sarge's Dinner over Katz as a less touristy but equally authentic sandwich.

Things on my list include The Highline, Birdland Jazz Club, Met Museum, Fraunces Tavern, Yankees game.

I tend to skip anything we have a world-class equivalent to eg: Natural History Museum, Zoo etc

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:33 am

On one of my trips to NY I went to watch New York City FC in the Yankees stadium. Particularly weird as it was the club's first ever game, a really bizarre atmosphere.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:39 pm

Everyone has with justification their favourites. The oyster bar in grand central station is good theatre and the places in Little Italy are very atmospheric although that might not be as fun at this time of year.

LDNBFC87
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by LDNBFC87 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:18 pm

East River Ferry is the best way to get to and from Brooklyn/Williamsburg btw. Plus, it's very scenic and a bit of respite from the mayhem of Manhattan!

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 pm

edison wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:54 pm
Try to get out of Manhattan, even if it's just a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge - there's a great pizza place at the Brooklyn end called Grimaldi's. Prospect Park and Greenwood Cemetery are interesting. You could also get the subway down to Coney Island, ride the Cyclone and get a hotdog at Nathan's.
I used to visit Grimaldi's every time I went to NYC, though it was very disappointing on our last visit in December 2022. Juliana's, which is in the original Grimaldi's building just down street (and opened by Mr Grimaldi after he sold the original business) was, however, excellent. I hope it was a one-off but there was absolutely nobody in Grimaldi's and Juliana's was packed out, which I took as a bit of a sign. Shame really because I loved Grimaldi's on my previous visits.

RHansburyEsq
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by RHansburyEsq » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:02 pm

We’re going in July. First time I’ve been to the US. This thread is full of useful info. Just when I was despairing about the football and the politics the UTC hive mind and community resource has come good :)

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2698 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:02 am

Interesting city once you get away from Manhattan and the thousands of tourists gawping at the standard list of "attractions".

Each to their own though.

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:16 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:48 pm
Your memory must be correct as my wife and Inexited the highline to visit Chelsea markets.

I'm looking forward to being back NY later in the year, best city i've ever visited.
100% agree, landed at Saturday evening and headed for Time's Square.... absolutely heaving (as you can imagine) really wasn't sure if I'd take to it at all. Absolutely loved it though. Absolutely desperate to go back, been to Colorado and Florida since, San Fran and Vegas in November, hoping to get back to NY in 2025 though.
This user liked this post: Loyalclaret

SydneyClaret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SydneyClaret » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 pm

If you’re into live bands etc spend an evening in Long Island City just across the bridge from Manhattan (nice walk too).

Also there’s an old railway walk in South West Manhattan somewhere. (Google it). I enjoyed it and there was a great breakfast cafe at one end of it.

And do a comedy club. Plenty of cheap tickets.

Was pre covid when I was last there though.