What a ******* shambles!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Re: What a ******* shambles!

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:05 pm

This is what it looks like when you sign a squad of players with the primary aim of reselling them for a profit. Personally I would prefer we had spent all that money - a staggering amount of money by the way - on a team that was partially competitive at this level. That should have been fairly simple as we were already a lot better than two of the teams in this division. Everything we have done since winning promotion has been a complete mess and I’m not sure where we go from here.

Today was unacceptable from everyone involved.
These 5 users liked this post: CoolClaret Goodclaret JohnMcGreal Somethingfishy Stayingup

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:09 pm

If anyone on here thinks going down and coming straight back up next season is a given, then think again. I have seen nine games this year in the Championship, including teams like Leicester (a number of times), Ipswich, Leeds,Coventry, Hull, WBA and there are some very well organised teams in there. Today Middlesborough had a very good game plan and beat Leicester quite easily. If I am being honest, I think Boro today would have turned us over, and they were 13th before the game.Worrying times

Vim Fuego
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Vim Fuego » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:10 pm

Nothing new. It has been a shambles all season

We are going backwards fast as a club. We are an absolute joke compared to what we were a few years ago

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:24 pm

Tufty wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:28 pm
Surely VK can't go from being maestro and architect of some of the most entertaining and best football I've ever witnessed in 50+ years of watching to being absolutely clueless and a totally inept manager?
Aye, and many of those banging on about VK being clueless are the same ones who were calling him a mastermind last season.

Today was a difficult watch and I'm gutted how the season has gone, but for me, he still gets next season, however, we have to learn and grow from this. If we are back in the EPL the season after next with VK at the helm - there can be no repeat of this current season.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:05 pm
This is what it looks like when you sign a squad of players with the primary aim of reselling them for a profit. Personally I would prefer we had spent all that money - a staggering amount of money by the way - on a team that was partially competitive at this level. That should have been fairly simple as we were already a lot better than two of the teams in this division. Everything we have done since winning promotion has been a complete mess and I’m not sure where we go from here.

Today was unacceptable from everyone involved.
This is exactly how I feel about it tbh RileyBobs!

The 'selling players for profit' should just come with the territory of assembling a team that does well - sort the team out first and the rest will fall into place - surely?

I don't think Gray, Keane etc were signed with the primary intention of selling them in a few years, it was just a natural by product through being managed/coached well and doing well for the team.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2921 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:39 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:24 pm
, he still gets next season, however, we have to learn and grow from this. If we are back in the EPL the season after next with VK at the helm - there can be no repeat of this current season.
As someone pointed out on another thread, will he get the same commitment from the players as we did last time in the Championship? We have seen how many of them brought us up and then haven't gotten any real time in the Prem and were just cast aside for new players who, on the whole, have massively under-performed and yet still the old guard can't get a game.

I am not sure that many would still want to play for Kompany, like they did previously and that would be an issue for the team.

There are lots of factors like this. Not to mention there will be a good few players we lose anyway.

I am not convinced a bounceback is as inevitable as some others believe.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:43 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:07 pm
I honestly can't believe he spent the best part of £65 million on Amdouni, Trafford, Ramsey and Tresor.

We'd have at least as many if not more points if non of them had signed. Staggering money for a club of our size.
I believe the time was up for dyche, it had become stale. For whatever reason he'd kind of lost his mojo if you get what I mean, he is however legendary and worked miracles for the club. But can you imagine giving dyche the money kompanys had, frightening.

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:44 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:39 pm
As someone pointed out on another thread, will he get the same commitment from the players as we did last time in the Championship
When I say he gets next season - we have to be challenging. If it looks iffy by November - then that's that.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:56 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:09 pm
If anyone on here thinks going down and coming straight back up next season is a given, then think again. I have seen nine games this year in the Championship, including teams like Leicester (a number of times), Ipswich, Leeds,Coventry, Hull, WBA and there are some very well organised teams in there. Today Middlesborough had a very good game plan and beat Leicester quite easily. If I am being honest, I think Boro today would have turned us over, and they were 13th before the game.Worrying times
Yet the top 3 in the Championship were the 3 relegated PL sides from last year. I'm not saying we are guaranteed to come back up but that I don't think the standard in the Championship is anything to worry about.
The challenge for me will be recovering from the complete recruitment shambles this season and the ageing of the experienced pros. I still expect us to have the nucleus of a good side although the aura of Kompany will no longer be as powerful.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:08 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:01 pm
Personally don’t think the constant criticism of individual players is helpful and it’s probably unfair. There were ironic cheers when Ramsey completed a pass in the second half, just before he went off injured. How does that help a young player?

The problem is the squad, not the individuals within it. We’ve brought in a load of young, technical footballers in the belief that they’d overcome their lack of experience of professional football and the exacting standards of the Premier League. We’ve then compounded that by leaving ourselves short in key areas.

It’s no wonder they often look naive and games get away from them quickly. There’s not enough leadership or experience on the pitch to knit consistent performances together. We therefore play in spells and never look more than 30 seconds from disaster, even when we’re having the better of the game.

I think we’ve set these lads up to fail. I suspect had some of them been brought into more balanced squads, they’d be showing their talent more consistently than they have managed for us this season.
Good post.

I honestly think a good number of them are being badly let down by management.

The young lads on the pitch just happen to be part of a clearly failed experiment.

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:09 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:53 pm
Team unity is shocking as well. The foul on Ramsey that led to serious injury was not responded to. How many teams have we had were that would slide? Barnes let's that slide? No. Mee? No. Carlisle? No. Caldwell? No. Cahill? No. Ball? No. Westy? No. Ade? No. Wade? No. We could reel off players some distinctly average for the level that they played at but that would not have been allowed to stand without a response. He's a team mate that has been injured by a shitty foul when the game was done, I would expect a few challenges to go in.
It wasn’t a foul

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:11 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:08 pm
Good post.

I honestly think a good number of them are being badly let down by management.

The young lads on the pitch just happen to be part of a clearly failed experiment.
Completely agree, we really have failed these young lads. Which begs the question why haven’t we been smarter in using the experience we do have?

Cork has played twice this season, in a team crying out for leadership and a bit of calm.

I think we’re so far in to the failed experiment that it’s too late to turn back. The season just has to play out now and we can only hope that the damage to confidence/morale isn’t going to cause too much of a hangover in to next season.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:17 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:11 pm
Completely agree, we really have failed these young lads. Which begs the question why haven’t we been smarter in using the experience we do have?

Cork has played twice this season, in a team crying out for leadership and a bit of calm.

I think we’re so far in to the failed experiment that it’s too late to turn back. The season just has to play out now and we can only hope that the damage to confidence/morale isn’t going to cause too much of a hangover in to next season.
Can’t understand why Cork ,Muric,and Benson are on the bench when VK has no intention to play them ,and he only use Jay Rod if he’s desperate.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:01 pm
Personally don’t think the constant criticism of individual players is helpful and it’s probably unfair. There were ironic cheers when Ramsey completed a pass in the second half, just before he went off injured. How does that help a young player?

The problem is the squad, not the individuals within it. We’ve brought in a load of young, technical footballers in the belief that they’d overcome their lack of experience of professional football and the exacting standards of the Premier League. We’ve then compounded that by leaving ourselves short in key areas.

It’s no wonder they often look naive and games get away from them quickly. There’s not enough leadership or experience on the pitch to knit consistent performances together. We therefore play in spells and never look more than 30 seconds from disaster, even when we’re having the better of the game.

I think we’ve set these lads up to fail. I suspect had some of them been brought into more balanced squads, they’d be showing their talent more consistently than they have managed for us this season.
I think this is absolutely spot on. I've no idea what tge business model is, or was intended to be with the players we've signed, but my guess is that most of them will ultimately prove good players with us or someone else. Whatever the model, all if us - VK, ALK, supporters, the players themselves- are absolutely bound to try and make this ultimately work. Kicking back against the players because of a dislike of the perceived business model is pretty self defeating.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Hapag Lloyd

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:32 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:43 pm
I believe the time was up for dyche, it had become stale. For whatever reason he'd kind of lost his mojo if you get what I mean, he is however legendary and worked miracles for the club. But can you imagine giving dyche the money kompanys had, frightening.
The money was spent on players within our budget, both in terms of transfer fees and wages, who have the potential to develop.
I believe we will see the benefit of this strategy..... eventually.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 pm

And so do I.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 515 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:56 pm

The 5th goal....caught completely from a throw in just summed the concentration and effort levels up. Just seen it again on MOTD and it doesn't look any better.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:59 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:36 pm
No.

I know the mind can play tricks on you, and emotions are still raw, but I genuinely can’t remember a performance as bad as that under Dyche, even when we did have some pastings.

That’s not a problem in isolation, but it’s been the majority of the season.
Brentford/Norwich away ring any bells?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:02 pm

Those goals again on MOTD. Just wow.

Their fifth. I hope nobody was injured by O'Shea's and Delcroix's tools as they chucked them away.

And to think some people think the effort is there.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:03 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:32 pm
The money was spent on players within our budget, both in terms of transfer fees and wages, who have the potential to develop.
I believe we will see the benefit of this strategy..... eventually.
But at what cost? What league will we be in? We've spent BIG money on Trafford and Ramsey. They are on long contracts. The only reason I can imagine they are getting in the team is because club are desperate to flip them for profit ASAP.

This isn't pop at them for for their performances or ability, but these types of players under a good manager are blooded them into the team over time, managers send them out on loan, and before you know it, over the space of 9 months, they are starting. Like what happened with Dwight McNeil Jay Rodriguez and Michael Keane.

Players need to earn their place in the team. Muric should never have been dropped. Benson, Zaroury, Gudmundsson, Cullen, Cork, did nothing wrong… yet Ramsey was getting to the team and hasnt pulled up any trees in any of his appearances, wether they are starts or off the bench.

But a whole team of first-season Dwight McNeils isn't going to keep you in the league while it seems to me the players obviously have a mindset, play well, get a move. Rather than work hard for Burnley Football Club. Being treated as a saleable asset - and that is what was sold to them in the first place.

Look at the players who gave a **** today, Taylor, Jay and JBG. None of them were brilliant but at least I saw effort. Heck, I’d take a Matej Vydra over Amdouni any day now. At least he'd put in a shift.

Today was a dark day. I've seen some howlers at Turf Moor over the years. Sometimes you know it because the team isn't good enough, the manager got it wrong, tactics, loss of belief, poor form… but today lacked a bit of everything. As much as Dyche gets stick for his style, his players as a unit always gave 100%. I don't think I've seen that at all this season.

I honestly don't think the players care. I don't think the manager cares. I think Vincent Kompany is promoting his style of football, and what becomes of Burnley Football Club isn't his concern as long as it works for him.

The players know relegation is all but confirmed and they have downed tools ready for next season.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:05 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:59 pm
Brentford/Norwich away ring any bells?
Plenty.

Already covered the Norwich game. It was **** but not as bad as today - we should’ve at least scored for starters - and Brentford away under Dyche wasn’t even as bad as Brentford away under Vinny this season.
Last edited by BurnleyFC on Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:05 pm

The effort from the players was only surpassed by the three wise men in the dug out. No interaction at all with the team. They could have done with three white sticks

Mark the Claret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:09 pm

None of our players will be sold for more than we paid for them, they will mostly all end up back in some european backwater.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 pm

Certainly no Premier League club will pick them up

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:14 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 pm
Certainly no Premier League club will pick them up

Hopefully we'll hang on to them and help them in their development.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:16 pm

By that time we could be in League One… sounds faceious but I hope you see my point.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark the Claret

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:16 pm

How long will that take and can we afford to wait that long?

Mark the Claret

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:17 pm

Was replying to Bill

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 682 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm

After several hours of reflection I'm still trying to understand the contrast from last season to this nonsense.

What exactly is Kompany's thinking ?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm

Mark the Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:17 pm
Was replying to Bill
I don't know, but surely that is the intention.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:20 pm

It was bad, really bad today. Not even making chances now.

Luckily I was at the game and not reading this thread as an accurate summary from the bedwetters.

Mark the Claret

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:21 pm

There's just too many with 'potential' we should have built a team with 3 or 4 young footballers, not a half a squad.
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:23 pm

Mark the Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:21 pm
There's just too many with 'potential' we should have built a team with 3 or 4 young footballers, not a half a squad.
May as well have chucked 100 mill into the academy.
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:25 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm
After several hours of reflection I'm still trying to understand the contrast from last season to this nonsense.

Different level, playing against teams who spend more on one player than we do as a team, is it really that difficult to work out?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:25 pm
Different level, playing against teams who spend more on one player than we do as a team, is it really that difficult to work out?
This was a fair argument to use in the Dyche days.

Not anymore. How many teams spend in excess of £100m on one player?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 pm

Mark the Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:09 pm
None of our players will be sold for more than we paid for them, they will mostly all end up back in some european backwater.
Odobert and koleosho just off the top of my head, probably Foster, Benson, Twine, Zaroury, but other than those you're probably correct

Mark the Claret

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 pm

It's not just money spent, it's the lack of character.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:29 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:27 pm
This was a fair argument to use in the Dyche days.

Not anymore. How many teams spend in excess of £100m on one player?
It's not 100m, but even if it was, quite a few, including today's opposition

Mark the Claret

Post by Mark the Claret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:28 pm
Odobert and koleosho just off the top of my head, probably Foster, Benson, Twine, Zaroury, but other than those you're probably correct
I don't think we'll make much on any of them, maybe koleosho if he comes back from injury and reproduces the same form.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 682 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Not difficult at all.....fully understand that.....but Kompany's approach to everything is beyond belief.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:29 pm
Yes it is - and we have something insane like 36 players on the books.

Who have Arsenal signed for over 100 mill - name one?

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm

Mark the Claret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:30 pm
I don't think we'll make much on any of them, maybe koleosho if he comes back from injury and reproduces the same form.
Ok

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm
Yes it is - and we have something insane like 36 players on the books.

Who have Arsenal signed for over 100 mill - name one?
Rice

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:29 pm
The money we've spent on our squad in total will be in excess of £100m. We're not a club run on buttons and we're entitled to expect that we can compete at this level given the vast sums we've shelled out.

How many teams have spent £100m on one player?

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2921 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:33 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
There is clearly more to it than that.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 pm
The money we've spent on our squad in total will be in excess of £100m. We're not a club run on buttons and we're entitled to expect that we can compete at this level given the vast sums we've shelled out.

How many teams have spent £100m on one player?
Arsenal

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:34 pm
Arsenal
Yep, thought so.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:35 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm
Rice
I'll give you Rice.

Other than that they haven't spent massively on other players in all fairness.

Also, that's one team - no team outside the top 4 is doing that.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 992 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:36 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm

What exactly is Kompany's thinking ?
It's been a mess.

The Premier League has players that are not only technically light years ahead of the Championship but physically a different species.

You cannot go into a season where you are unable to keep a clean sheet, the one thing Dyche made sure of is that no matter how badly we played he wanted us to still be in the game after an hour. This season we have been out of so many games in the first fifteen or twenty minutes.

A strong base and spine is absolutely essential to have any chance of being competitive, unfortunately we neglected that and got caught up in the hype of what Premier League players are.

Flair players need someone to run the hard yards and do the dirty things for them, we have too many of one and too little of the other.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:36 pm

A fairly often asked question is “who is the best player you’ve seen against us in the Turf?” and the unanimous decision has mostly been Cesc Fabregas.

There’s an opposition player almost every game doing a “Cesc Fabregas” to us this season. Even Matty Cash did a “Cesc Fabregas” to us.

It’s just another indication of just how far away this lot are from being anywhere near effective at this level.