Jay Rodtiguez

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Re: Jay Rodtiguez

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:15 pm
It’s not a good thing that Rodriguez starting games for us is a serious suggestion. But before Foster’s injury I was hoping to see a front two of Foster and Fofana. Now Foster is injured I would like to see Rodriguez and Fofana.
Why? He's a good player. Espeically when used as the second striker in a 2.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:23 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 pm
How far are you going back to come to that conclusion?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:23 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 pm
I meant it’s not a good thing that we’re suggesting that a 34 year old who wasn’t good enough at this level 2 years ago makes our starting 11 considering how many players we’ve signed and how much money we’ve spent.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:23 pm
How far are you going back to come to that conclusion?
A few days.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 pm
A few days.
The game where we lost 5-0?

Brilliant.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:01 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:23 pm
I meant it’s not a good thing that we’re suggesting that a 34 year old who wasn’t good enough at this level 2 years ago makes our starting 11 considering how many players we’ve signed and how much money we’ve spent.
This seems to be a common myth being peddled that he wasnt good enough. People said the same about Chris Wood.
I thought Rodriguez was excellent from January in that season, before that he was in and out behind Cornet and Wood so if youre using stats then thats extremely misleading especially as a second striker in a Dyche side not exactly reknowned for goals. I dont know Jay at all but from all accounts he didnt really see eye to eye with Dyche and the coaching staff.

But just looking back at that time, we turned a corner that season around thr Liverpool/united home games, he was excellent in both, he put one on a plate for Weghorst at West Ham, scored v Everton, missed a wonderful chance against Spurs, as well as scoring against Huddersfield in the cup and 4 against Rochdale earlier in the season which is impressive against any opposition. Sounds strange including the miss but he gets into great goalscoring positions and thats what good players do and hed continued to do it this season which has led to a few missed chances, MNF have just shown a list of most missed chances this season and Haaland/Nunez came top which sort of proves this point. If he wasnt getting chances id be more inclined to agree that his legs have gone.

On top of that i thought he oozed class last season and was top scorer in the division when he got injured and i think its pretty reasonable to suggest hed have hit 20 league goals if hed stayed fit. Players who do that tend to be worth at least 15 to 20 million (obviously different when mid 30s but you can see my point). Hes been very underrated since he rejoined us and that continues to be the case.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:01 pm
This seems to be a common myth being peddled that he wasnt good enough. People said the same about Chris Wood.
I thought Rodriguez was excellent from January in that season, before that he was in and out behind Cornet and Wood so if youre using stats then thats extremely misleading especially as a second striker in a Dyche side not exactly reknowned for goals. I dont know Jay at all but from all accounts he didnt really see eye to eye with Dyche and the coaching staff.

But just looking back at that time, we turned a corner that season around thr Liverpool/united home games, he was excellent in both, he put one on a plate for Weghorst at West Ham, scored v Everton, missed a wonderful chance against Spurs, as well as scoring against Huddersfield in the cup and 4 against Rochdale earlier in the season which is impressive against any opposition. Sounds strange including the miss but he gets into great goalscoring positions and thats what good players do, MNF have just shown a list of most missed chances this season and Haaland/Nunez came top which sort of proves this point.

On top of that i thought he oozed class last season and was top scorer in the division when he got injured and i think its pretty reasonable to suggest hed have hit 20 league goals if hed stayed fit. Players who do that tend to be worth at least 15 to 20 million (obviously different when mid 30s but you can see my point). Hes been very underrated since he rejoined us and that continues to be the case.
I don’t think it’s a myth to suggest that a centre forward who has scored 5 goals (1 of which was a penalty) in his last 74 PL appearances (this includes this season and his last two at this level) isn’t good enough.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 pm
The game where we lost 5-0?

Brilliant.
He was good. Both of these things can be true.
He's also been good earlier this season. His big blip was the West Ham winner which was a shame

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm
I don’t think it’s a myth to suggest that a centre forward who has scored 5 goals (1 of which was a penalty) in his last 74 PL appearances (this includes this season and his last two at this level) isn’t good enough.
Very simplistic, he does a lot apart from scoring goals for one which is absolutely crucial to a team, including leading the press, do you trust a front 2 of Fofana and Amdouni to acknolwedge pressing triggers correctly? I certainly dont

You are also ignoring the context which i mentioned, many people also said Maupay was nowhere near good enough after getting something like 1 in 30 for Everton.
He has 5 this season for Brentford.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:28 pm

Goliath wrote:
He's also been good earlier this season. His big blip was the West Ham winner which was a shame
I would have liked to see him with Foster playing just off him, I think they would have been a good combination.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 pm
Very simplistic, he does a lot apart from scoring goals for one which is absolutely crucial to a team, including leading the press, do you trust a front 2 of Fofana and Amdouni to acknolwedge pressing triggers correctly? I certainly dont

You are also ignoring the context which i mentioned, many people also said Maupay was nowhere near good enough after getting something like 1 in 30 for Everton.
He has 5 this season for Brentford.
I don't really see where you're going with this. I've already said I would like to see a front two of Fofana and Rodriguez (in Foster's absence), but that is because I believe it will be better than what we're currently getting rather than thinking it is good enough. A centre forward who scores two goals a season obviously isn't good enough, he wasn't good enough 2 years ago when we were relegated and he isn't good enough this season when we're also relegated.

I haven't ignored any context, he has certain attributes to offer, and I believe in our circumstances they would be more beneficial than what Amdouni is offering. But like I said in my original point, the very fact that this Rodriguez is being considered to start games for a Premier League Burnley side this season considering the crazy number of signings and money spent is testament to our failings in the transfer market. JBG and Taylor being in our strongest first 11 is a similar case in point.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:46 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 pm
I don't really see where you're going with this. I've already said I would like to see a front two of Fofana and Rodriguez (in Foster's absence), but that is because I believe it will be better than what we're currently getting rather than thinking it is good enough. A centre forward who scores two goals a season obviously isn't good enough, he wasn't good enough 2 years ago when we were relegated and he isn't good enough this season when we're also relegated.

I haven't ignored any context, he has certain attributes to offer, and I believe in our circumstances they would be more beneficial than what Amdouni is offering. But like I said in my original point, the very fact that this Rodriguez is being considered to start games for a Premier League Burnley side this season considering the crazy number of signings and money spent is testament to our failings in the transfer market. JBG and Taylor being in our strongest first 11 is a similar case in point.
I just see a lot of disrespectful posts about Rodriguez generally on here (not necessarily yours) so it riles me enough to give an alternate view.
PS he has 2 goals in 7 starts this season on top of 10 goals in about 20 starts last season so calling him a 2 goal a season man is a bit of a cheap shot.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:49 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:46 pm
I just see a lot of disrespectful posts about Rodriguez generally on here (not necessarily yours) so it riles me enough to give an alternate view.
PS he has 2 goals in 7 starts this season on top of 10 goals in about 20 starts last season so calling him a 2 goal a season man is a bit of a cheap shot.
I’m not taking any cheap shots. I’m using his Premier League figures because we are in the Premier League. Last season he proved he was still a very dependable Championship striker, but that’s not really relevant to him being good enough for us right now. He averages about 2 goals per season for his last three seasons at this level, it’s not a cheap shot just a fact. I’d still start him against Palace.

Stacks
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Stacks » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm

Jay is so done. He can’t even do 45 anymore, how can he start? Sub at best…sure call him a super sub to please some on here

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:08 pm

Goliath wrote:
You sound about 12 years old and I've just disrespected your favourite player.

The stats that have been provided to you speak for themselves. The fact we're considering him starting against Palace shows how short of quality we are. Rodriguez was at his peak at this level when he was at Southampton.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:08 pm
You sound about 12 years old and I've just disrespected your favourite player.

The stats that have been provided to you speak for themselves. The fact we're considering him starting against Palace shows how short of quality we are. Rodriguez was at his peak at this level when he was at Southampton.
Unfortunately people having to resort to personal insults has become a common theme on this board and heres another example.

I was having an adult rational debate with somebody else who is able to have a differing opinion without having to resort to childish comments. Why you've decided to add your tuppence I'm not quite sure but well done for noticing that Rodriguez was at his peak when he was getting England call ups and being linked with the big clubs, that's quite the observation.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 pm
Unfortunately people having to resort to personal insults has become a common theme on this board and heres another example.

I was having an adult rational debate with somebody else who is able to have a differing opinion without having to resort to childish comments. Why you've decided to add your tuppence I'm not quite sure but well done for noticing that Rodriguez was at his peak when he was getting England call ups and being linked with the big clubs, that's quite the observation.
You're welcome, but if you're going to post a, shall we say, 'alternative opinion' on here, you can expect people to react with incredulity.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:24 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:19 pm
You're welcome, but if you're going to post a, shall we say, 'alternative opinion' on here, you can expect people to react with incredulity.
Try sticking to football related comments rather than silly comments about favourite players etc. You might find people respect your opinion a bit more.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:28 pm

Goliath wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:24 pm
Try sticking to football related comments rather than silly comments about favourite players etc. You might find people respect your opinion a bit more.
It was you that started the thread. I'm guessing you wanted people to react. If you don't like people disagreeing, then don't post such contentious stuff.

I've nothing against Rodriguez btw. I don't know him personally, but I'm sure he still loves playing for the club. I just think his best years are behind him at this level.

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:44 pm

His average goal return for us in the Premier League is 2.6 goals per season.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:43 pm

claret2018 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:44 pm
His average goal return for us in the Premier League is 2.6 goals per season.
How many of those seasons was he first choice over Wood and Barnes. Id say its either 0 or 1. When he played regularly he showed he was a good player, see goals v Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool as evidence. But he needs to play as a second striker because playing every week hes probably around a 5-7 goal a season man at this level which is fine because of rhe other attributes offers.

Dassey
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Dassey » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:54 pm

It's a strange concept to want to keep a player such as barnes just cos he was a leader. It's a poor decision to give the responsibility to brownhill because as a player he's been way less than average In nearly every game. Maybe it's the extra responsibility of calling heads or tails cos that sums up his on field leadership for me. Looking through the regular players, I struggle to find anyone that inspires. It was time for basher to go as I thought he was struggling in the championship so the prem would have been a step too far.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1187 times
Has Liked: 780 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:03 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:28 pm
It was you that started the thread. I'm guessing you wanted people to react. If you don't like people disagreeing, then don't post such contentious stuff.

I've nothing against Rodriguez btw. I don't know him personally, but I'm sure he still loves playing for the club. I just think his best years are behind him at this level.
"But I'm sure he still loves playing for the club" not half as much as getting paid for doing so little I'd wager. It's hard to envisage him getting a better deal elsewhere for what he actually provides/offers. He's on a bloody good number & he knows it.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 am

The club has made a habit of giving players that extra one/at times extra two year contract. Invariably they have been our better paid players. Presently we have Rodriguez and Cork. Jay may get a few minutes because of the poor planning by the club in securing decent strikers. Jack I suspect we will never see play again. THats around £4m in wages for this season combining the pair. We did the same with Bardsley rather than recruiting someone new to compete with Lawton. Lets hope Fofana stays safe. Its sad us having to rely on Jay. He does his best but the PL in the years since he peaked at Southampton has moved on immensely