Which team wins

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Re: Which team wins

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm

It's a proper primary school debate is this.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:47 am
This season's team wins. For the same reason that, contrary to folk myth, McNeil would have walked into our team last season. Generally the players are better.

There are though two huge misses. Firstly Maatsen, and secondly Tella. Both added a physical, athletic edge that we have not replaced at full back or further forwards.
I don’t agree with this.

Using your McNeil analogy as an example, whilst there are players in this season’s team that might get into last season’s team, as a collective unit I think it’s weaker and unbalanced.

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:07 pm

I started a thread earlier on the season saying last seasons team was better. Was shot down pretty quickly .

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:08 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm
The whole board is
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:12 pm

So on this subject, we have a big squad of players who fall into four categories:

1. Players we should keep who want to stay
2. Players who are not good enough or OOC or now too old who we need to let go
3. Players who will / may want out, mainly because of the way they have been treated.
4. Players who we need to sell to balance the books

I feel that the amount of players left in section 1 will not be that many, and yet another big squad rebuild will be required

1. (Keep) Esteve, Cullen, JBG, Beyer, Vitinho, Zaroury, Ekdal, O"Shea, Taylor, Foster, Ramsey, Al Dakhil, Massengo, Bruun Larsen, Agyei, Egan Riley, Costello
2. (let go / OOC / not good enough) Jay Rod, Obafemi, Cork, Redmond, Brownhill, Twine, Delcroix, Weghorst, Churlinov, Bastien, McNally
3. (Want out) Muric, Amdouni, Berge, Roberts, Benson?
4. (Need to sell for profit) Odobert, Trafford, Koleosho, Tresor

VK has a massive job on his hands, as proven championship players like Muric, Benson, Zaroury etc might want to leave because of the way they have been treated this season, and the others won't have the fight or inclination to play in the championship. I'm hoping Foster stays because of the way we have handled his situation, and I'd love to see Koleosho in the championship, but i feel we will cash in.

I've a feeling Berge will want to go, which will be a shame.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm

This season's team, with confidence, wins hands down.

Understandably, at the moment, we won't feel that way. Confidence is transformative for talent. I'd still like a couple of nasty leaders added.
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5563 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:19 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm
My dad's harder than your dad.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:06 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:05 am
At least you're back to your usual MO after your disgusting post about Ramsey last night.

Interesting that you picked last year's strongest XI but failed to include injured players from this season who have been first choice.
MEOW

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:17 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 am
I can see that, so why doesn't Muric get a look in.

Like many of our squad, Trafford is a great talent, but he isn't ready for this league. Young talent needs to be eased into a team, not chucked in at the deep end. They require experience around them, or in Traffords case in front of him.

We chucked the baby out with the bathwater this season, and it's too late to put it right. I'm not for potting VK, he is still our best hope, but only if he learns from this season's mistakes. If we do bounce back we really don't want to be in this avoidable situation in 2 years time.
So before I respond to this, for clarity I would also have started the season with Muric and I’m a big Muric fan. I think that it should have been his shirt to lose.

But I think it’s only fair to recognise there’s a number of games this season where Trafford has made phenomenal saves that I don’t think Muric would’ve been anywhere near. I think he’s won us points with many performances.

Muric vs Spurs and Everton was okay but Spurs in particular I thought he conceded possession poorly and they should’ve had a couple of goals from them. The goal they did score wasn’t really his fault but a risky throw to a player nearly marked.

I wish he’d started the season so we all know whether he could play at this level. And I think if he got as many games as Trafford he’d have improved regardless, but I can definitely see a parallel universe where he did and Burnley fans were all calling for his head, saying he’s not prem level and you ‘need a real keeper, one that can make saves not passes’ in the premier league. We’ll never know.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:27 pm

I've been OK with Trafford and thought he was getting better with every game - however the opposition know how to deal with him. Ben White was like a dog on heat trying to get and hinder him and it took at least 2 of our players out of defending the corner to deal with him. Ref was never going to give a foul for blocking the GK as we found out at Luton.

First time I've thought this but we have to put Muric in to defend the corners.

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:15 pm
We had the best defence in the Championship and played an extremely high line. A lot less protection for the goalkeeper and a lot more sweeping up required.

Not many could do what Muric did in that role last season, can't be underestimated.
Thats fair, we had a lot of pace also in the back then with maatsen and THB who could get back

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Goalposts wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:04 pm
Thats fair, we had a lot of pace also in the back then with maatsen and THB who could get back
THB definitely couldn't get back - that was one of the only gripes against him. Recall him getting burnt at home against Hull fairly early on a few times.

Maatsen could get back but was often high and wide - especially early season.

Honestly if people rewatch some games from last season and the positions our keeper took up and the touches he had to recycle posession I think they'd grow more appreciation for just how good he was for us (after a bit of a shaky start). Instrumental. Absolutely criminal that he hasn't had a kick in the league.
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:40 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:22 am
Muric
Roberts THB Beyer Maatsen
Cullen Cork
Benson Brownhill Zaroury
Barnes

Trafford
Assignon O'Shea Esteve Delcroix
Berge Brownhill
Ramsey Amdouni Odabert
Fofana

Which team wins the game? How have we managed to get so much worse??
We'll never find out!

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:21 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm
THB definitely couldn't get back - that was one of the only gripes against him. Recall him getting burnt at home against Hull fairly early on a few times.

Maatsen could get back but was often high and wide - especially early season.

Honestly if people rewatch some games from last season and the positions our keeper took up and the touches he had to recycle posession I think they'd grow more appreciation for just how good he was for us (after a bit of a shaky start). Instrumental. Absolutely criminal that he hasn't had a kick in the league.
Had vk backed muric the way he's backed Trafford and actually worked on he's only real weakness, he'd be worth a damn sight more than £19m now, I fully agree, criminal he's not even had a kick.