Is Relegation such a bad thing really?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Is Relegation such a bad thing really?

Post by It Is What It Is » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:12 pm

We are competing in arguably the greatest talented football League on the planet.
We are never in the foreseeable future going to win the Premier League title, nor finish in the top four or seventh for euro comps anymore.
We would get shedloads of cash for dropping down, playing in a level playing field league with more exciting free flowing end to end stuff footy and no VAR.
Our aim would be to win the Championship and a few good cup runs and to foray back and forth to the EPL to see if we have progressed to the middle part of that league or not. The perfect Yo Yo club.
Up and down parachute payments etc would at least keep the club very stable financially and a hell of a lot more excitement for the fans....rather than an annual relegation battle and getting battered.
So.... here's to winning the Championship again next season.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Re: Is Relegation such a bad thing really?

Post by Ric_C » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:14 pm

I for one can't wait for next season

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:17 pm

It is such a bad thing yep. Football is a spectator sport and we have won 3 times in 25 matches. We are proper crap. It's not that clear how much joy there will be in promotion next season if we feel like we have another full season of pathetic dross to look forward to afterwards.
This user liked this post: Spike

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:18 pm

It all depends on whether we get promoted in a season or possibly two. Whilst it would be a failure if we didn’t, there's obviously no guarantee it would happen, and it's hard to see what resources we will have next season. If we don't swiftly get promoted it will be a very bad thing.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:20 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:12 pm

We would get shedloads of cash for dropping down, playing in a level playing field league w
it most certainly not a level playing field as you yourself demonstrate very clearly
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:20 pm

It wouldn’t be a bad thing for Luton, for example, but after we’ve spunked the best part of £100m away on players nowhere near the required level, yes it is a bad thing.

I suspect Alan Pace is far more worried than he’s going to let on.
These 2 users liked this post: forzagranata Rumpelstiltskin

It Is What It Is

Post by It Is What It Is » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:22 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:17 pm
It is such a bad thing yep. Football is a spectator sport and we have won 3 times in 25 matches. We are proper crap. It's not that clear how much joy there will be in promotion next season if we feel like we have another full season of pathetic dross to look forward to afterwards.
I get your point...but we have to see every so often if we are progressing as a team squad to at least the EPL 10 to 14 mid table level

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:22 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
We are competing in arguably the greatest talented football League on the planet.
We are never in the foreseeable future going to win the Premier League title, nor finish in the top four or seventh for euro comps anymore.
We would get shedloads of cash for dropping down, playing in a level playing field league with more exciting free flowing end to end stuff footy and no VAR.
Our aim would be to win the Championship and a few good cup runs and to foray back and forth to the EPL to see if we have progressed to the middle part of that league or not. The perfect Yo Yo club.
Up and down parachute payments etc would at least keep the club very stable financially and a hell of a lot more excitement for the fans....rather than an annual relegation battle and getting battered.
So.... here's to winning the Championship again next season.
Level playing field? What us probably have the most money and most expensive squad? :lol:

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm

I’d happily be a top 6 championship club, hate the premier league and I’ve no interest in watching “the top teams” I support Burnley, I couldn’t give a toss about seeing world class players, I can watch them on tv if I want and never do.
Folk say “I want to see my team compete against the best”
Maybe so, I’m sure we all do, I just can’t see that ever happening again any time soon. We are nowhere near that level
These 3 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET evensteadiereddie houseboy

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm

It Is What It Is wrote:
Why can't we qualify for Europe again?
It Is What It Is wrote:
Eh?

You don't get more cash for dropping down - far from it.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:25 pm

I always find it so surprising when people think promotion next year is nailed on. The championship is a very tough league and the squad we will have is definitely not certain.
These 4 users liked this post: Enola Gay Boss Hogg Spike fidelcastro

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:25 pm
I always find it so surprising when people think promotion next year is nailed on. The championship is a very tough league and the squad we will have is definitely not certain.
Agreed - a squad of gutless cowards won’t be walking the Championship.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:31 pm

Before we went up VK used to say we may have been top of the Championship, but in England we were only the 21st best team . I wonder what he would say right now if we were to remind him. For me today, Leicester, Saints, Leeds are already arguably above us. Maybe Ipswich and several others too

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:32 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:20 pm
It wouldn’t be a bad thing for Luton, for example, but after we’ve spunked the best part of £100m away on players nowhere near the required level, yes it is a bad thing.

I suspect Alan Pace is far more worried than he’s going to let on.
Well Pace should be worried because I can’t see us coming straight back up. Individually we have some very talented players, unfortunately as a collective unit I have no idea what system we’re trying to play. The first thing we need is a leader of men that’s not afraid to dish out a few bollockings.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:34 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm
I’d happily be a top 6 championship club, hate the premier league and I’ve no interest in watching “the top teams” I support Burnley, I couldn’t give a toss about seeing world class players, I can watch them on tv if I want and never do.
Folk say “I want to see my team compete against the best”
Maybe so, I’m sure we all do, I just can’t see that ever happening again any time soon. We are nowhere near that level
There isn't an option to consistently be a top 6 championship club. You either get promoted or you get worse.
These 2 users liked this post: spt_claret RetroClaret

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:35 pm

Well, relegation is certainly happening. Whether supporters think it’s a bad thing or not it doesn’t really matter.
I think there is a large sense of apathy amongst our support at present.
We have watched, or should I say endured week on week our team being outplayed and largely devoid of any tactics or ideas. Then our manager compounds the problem by continuing to select players who offer little or nothing to the team and we keep getting rolled over cheaply.
Gradually, this just knocks the stuffing out of you until you can’t be @rsed anymore.
These 5 users liked this post: It Is What It Is Wo Didi burnleymik Boss Hogg Spike

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:35 pm

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Agreed-went to see Middlesborough yesterday, lying 13th before the Leicester game. I have to be honest playing them and beating them right now was not a given for me yesterday. Plus do we not think Sheff Utd and Luton, if these two go down, will not be challenging too.Add to that there is often a relative dark horse that manages to get to the play offs/get promoted

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:36 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:31 pm
Before we went up VK used to say we may have been top of the Championship, but in England we were only the 21st best team . I wonder what he would say right now if we were to remind him. For me today, Leicester, Saints, Leeds are already arguably above us. Maybe Ipswich and several others too
Yes, but by this same logic you could argue we were better than Southampton, Leicester etc last season. That was VK’s point - it means nothing playing better football and getting better results in the league below - you are where you are in the league pyramid.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:37 pm

No, it won't be a bad thing at all.
We'll be fine and this year's experience, if the players and VK have anything about them, will serve them well.
There also the potential that the plastic, needy glory hunters infesting this board will finally have done one by then.
These 3 users liked this post: It Is What It Is RVclaret simonclaret

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 pm

i don't think it's a given certain that we could bounce back straight away it all depends on who stays and will the likes of Zaroury and Benson who signed long term contracts be up for it , i much doubt it the way they have been treated..

It Is What It Is

Post by It Is What It Is » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:43 pm

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
I don't think promotion for the Championship is nailed on at all...I just said it should be our aim.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 pm

We have no idea what kind of team we will have next season. None at all.

We have significant debts and don't look likely to make much money on player trading - a fire sale might help limit the damage financially but what kind of team will that leave behind?

We might have enough resources for another summer of being able to bring in players good enough to win the Championship -we might not. Only time will tell whether its another glorious promotion season, a mid-table frustration or much worse.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:56 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:37 pm
No, it won't be a bad thing at all.
We'll be fine and this year's experience, if the players and VK have anything about them, will serve them well.
There also the potential that the plastic, needy glory hunters infesting this board will finally have done one by then.
Basically this. Massive learning curve this season for our young players and manager. Saints and even Leeds have shown you can still dominate that league while having to sell some players. Leeds looked like they were in a proper mess even in September, Summerville and Sinesterra refusing to play, Gnonto requesting a transfer, half their squad leaving on loan… but hey, fast forward a few months and here they are in 2nd.

On Summerville, a player who got just FOUR goal contributions last season in the PL, has 15 goals 8 assists already in the Champ. Rutter, a 30m flop PL signing last January who didn’t score a single Prem goal and couldn’t get in the team, has been one of the best attackers in the division (6 goals 11 assists). There was a clear plan last relegation and there will be one again for this one.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:17 pm

I am sure the question was if relegation was a bad thing...not how gutless or **** we are. The same 5 or 6 are infecting this site and seem to have carte blanche to do so because the owner of the site isn't invited to chat with Alan Pace on a weekly basis
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret Enola Gay It Is What It Is

Ric_C

Post by Ric_C » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:20 pm

I think last season there was a level of arrogance of both VK and the recruitment team where they presumed we would be fine, and would comfortably compete against the mid to lower teams, that is why they bought so many young prospects.

The idea being these rough diamonds would flourish in the top league, thus increasing their value, and then we could then sell on for a huge profit.

While this wasn't totally a bad plan per se, and I do believe this is the right plan in general, it is the execution of it that was lacking.

We went from A to Z instead of going from A - B - C

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:31 pm

This set of chancers don’t know how to react at getting a punch on the nose. They’ll get plenty of punches next season. Anyone who thinks we’ll walk the league are delusional.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:32 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:34 pm
There isn't an option to consistently be a top 6 championship club. You either get promoted or you get worse.
Unfortunately, that's true. You get maybe a couple of seasons at most, from then on you're fighting against League One while juggling debts if you're a club of our size. We got a bit lucky before in getting Dyche in as the last of the parachutes ran out.

I'm not even optimistic about the bouncing back scenario next season but I do get the sentiment behind the OP. The season we got into Europe was the only Premier League season that would get into my Top 5 of watching Burnley, the rest is all football league stuff.

Flixtonclaret1
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by Flixtonclaret1 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:37 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:17 pm
As Vera Lynn sang….

“We’ll win again, don’t know where, don’t know when, but I know we’ll win again some sunny day”

SirBob
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by SirBob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:49 pm

Last season was the most enjoyable and entertaining I’ve ever had as a Burnley fan, this season the complete opposite 😂

Next season I think will probably be a two horse race between us and Leeds and I can’t wait to take the **** out of all the Leeds fans I know when we win the league.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 693 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:49 pm

I don`t think Alan Pace will realise what the severity of this seasons performances and selections will have on players and fans till we see how we perform in a Championship environment with these same players, as people on here say I don`t see many saleable assets amongst our current squad and losing a hundred million in revenue combined with possibly having a much smaller take up of season tickets might be a big reality check for Mr Pace then we will see how good a business man he is and how good a manager VK in trying to recreate last seasons enjoyment.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:50 pm

SirBob wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:49 pm
Last season was the most enjoyable and entertaining I’ve ever had as a Burnley fan, this season the complete opposite 😂

Next season I think will probably be a two horse race between us and Leeds and I can’t wait to take the **** out of all the Leeds fans I know when we win the league.
You could be waiting………..a while.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:50 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:56 pm
Basically this. Massive learning curve this season for our young players and manager. Saints and even Leeds have shown you can still dominate that league while having to sell some players. Leeds looked like they were in a proper mess even in September, Summerville and Sinesterra refusing to play, Gnonto requesting a transfer, half their squad leaving on loan… but hey, fast forward a few months and here they are in 2nd.

On Summerville, a player who got just FOUR goal contributions last season in the PL, has 15 goals 8 assists already in the Champ. Rutter, a 30m flop PL signing last January who didn’t score a single Prem goal and couldn’t get in the team, has been one of the best attackers in the division (6 goals 11 assists). There was a clear plan last relegation and there will be one again for this one.
Damaging learning curve RV, you do have claret tinted glasses.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:53 pm

Not for me. Obviously we're in financial trouble if we don't go up but it's much more fun in the Championship. No VAR, more local derbies, much better away days, what's not to like. Get rid of all the plastics on the Turf as well who are only there to see City/Liverpool etc.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:16 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:53 pm
Not for me. Obviously we're in financial trouble if we don't go up but it's much more fun in the Championship. No VAR, more local derbies, much better away days, what's not to like. Get rid of all the plastics on the Turf as well who are only there to see City/Liverpool etc.
Its more fun in the Championship if you are winning.

Relegation battles in the Championship are just as grim, if not worse, than those in the PL.

Bowclaret
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bowclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:17 pm

For me, it feels like promotion back to the Championship.

Love the derbies love the away games and we WIN !!!!

Ric_C

Post by Ric_C » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Not going to say the same thing will continue next season, but we have lost only 13 games in the last 3 full seasons in the championship (138 matches).

We've lost more games in this season in the last 4-5 months -14

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:16 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:17 pm
I am sure the question was if relegation was a bad thing...not how gutless or **** we are. The same 5 or 6 are infecting this site and seem to have carte blanche to do so because the owner of the site isn't invited to chat with Alan Pace on a weekly basis
Or perhaps some people are very concerned about the direction the football club is going in & in fairness it's constructive criticism I prefer reading the posts which are grounded in reality instead of everything is fine & pure deluded denial. The clubs in a massive mess & some people are facing up to that & others aren't.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:21 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:51 pm
We have no idea what kind of team we will have next season. None at all.

We have significant debts and don't look likely to make much money on player trading - a fire sale might help limit the damage financially but what kind of team will that leave behind?

We might have enough resources for another summer of being able to bring in players good enough to win the Championship -we might not. Only time will tell whether its another glorious promotion season, a mid-table frustration or much worse.
How do you know we won’t make a hell of a lot of money on player trading? Southampton sold Lavia for 58m and are getting 25m for alcaraz, that’s 2 players who didn’t exactly set the league a light last season.

All depends what clauses we have in contracts

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:38 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:21 pm
How do you know we won’t make a hell of a lot of money on player trading? Southampton sold Lavia for 58m and are getting 25m for alcaraz, that’s 2 players who didn’t exactly set the league a light last season.

All depends what clauses we have in contracts
I guess we might make a hell of a lot of money on selling the current team but I'd be very surprised.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we were able to get our money back on the players we bought last summer. Will someone pay 15-20 million for Trafford? Amdouni? Ramsey? Tresor? I doubt it. Berge we could probably recoup our investment.

Someone might take a punt on Odabert, someone in Germany would probably be interested in Beyer but for how much? Koleosho looked like he might command a decent fee but after a long injury that's a different matter now. Foster's value will obviously have been impacted by his injuries and other issues.

I just don't see how we get 100-150 million back for this squad.

We aren't in a strong position in any negotiations, other clubs will know we need to sell and we haven't got players who will generate a bidding war.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:46 pm

forzagranata wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:38 pm
I guess we might make a hell of a lot of money on selling the current team but I'd be very surprised.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we were able to get our money back on the players we bought last summer. Will someone pay 15-20 million for Trafford? Amdouni? Ramsey? Tresor? I doubt it. Berge we could probably recoup our investment.

Someone might take a punt on Odabert, someone in Germany would probably be interested in Beyer but for how much? Koleosho looked like he might command a decent fee but after a long injury that's a different matter now. Foster's value will obviously have been impacted by his injuries and other issues.

I just don't see how we get 100-150 million back for this squad.

We aren't in a strong position in any negotiations, other clubs will know we need to sell and we haven't got players who will generate a bidding war.
Why do we need to get 100-150 million back?

We’ve bought most of them them from / with PL revenues.

You do realise our wage bill this season will be considerably lower than what it was on the last relegation and revenue will be 130m+?

Who says we absolutely need to sell? What about the entire squad including fringe players like Twine, Egan-Riley, Muric,Benson and Churlinov?

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:48 pm

I always find it fascinating how our fans think promotion is a given next season. Nothing is guaranteed, and the odds suggest at some point we’ll go down and stay down. Then we’re in trouble!

And if Everton come down with us I would imagine they’ll be one of the top two, so Everton plus maybe a Southampton or a Leeds, Sheffield United will be up there.
This user liked this post: forzagranata

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:50 pm

Pace has given VK about 130 million so relegation is a disaster .: didn’t like how VK on MOTD said it’s very hard compete in this league ! … well if I was Luton Town manager I can understand as they have spent virtually nothing but it’s a bit tough on Pace who has backed him so much

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:46 pm
I'd have thought we still owe a considerable proportion of those fees which will need paying after this season.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

Claretforever wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:48 pm
I always find it fascinating how our fans think promotion is a given next season. Nothing is guaranteed, and the odds suggest at some point we’ll go down and stay down. Then we’re in trouble!

And if Everton come down with us I would imagine they’ll be one of the top two, so Everton plus maybe a Southampton or a Leeds, Sheffield United will be up there.
So you find it fascinating our fans are hopeful promotion is a guarantee but then say Everton plus Southampton or Leeds will be and then throw in Sheff Utd. What did you say...nothing is guaranteed...but only when it seems to involve your club
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm

RVclaret wrote:

You do realise our wage bill this season will be considerably lower than what it was on the last relegation and revenue will be 130m+?

Who says we absolutely need to sell? What about the entire squad including fringe players like Twine, Egan-Riley, Muric,Benson and Churlinov?
Wake up RV

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:57 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm
I'd have thought we still owe a considerable proportion of those fees which will need paying after this season.
I think a lot of people overlook this. It's quickly mentioned that all fees are not paid upfront but soon forgotten that this means we will have payments for the following years.

It's likely we've got anything between 20-40m to pay out across the next couple of seasons based on what we've spent since Kompany joined. It's not necessarily next year that worries me, it's the one after and the future years if we don't get straight back to the PL.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:57 pm

Wokingclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:53 pm
Wake up RV
Are you ever going to contribute anything other than this?

At least I provide reason.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:59 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:51 pm
I get that, but nowhere near 100-150m as the poster suggested.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:01 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:59 pm
I get that, but nowhere near 100-150m as the poster suggested.
I was just clarifying because you said we'd bought most of the players with the revenue we've received for being in the PL this season. I don't think we have.

forzagranata

Post by forzagranata » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:05 pm

RVclaret wrote:

I'm not saying we need to get back 100-150 million. I was replying to someone saying we could make a 'hell of a lot of money" in player sales. I'm saying we will do well to get our money back, let alone make a profit overall on player trading.

I am not sure at all that our wage bill will be considerably lower than it was last time we were relegated. Individual wages may be but the squad is much bigger than it was under Dyche and when the loan players return in June then we have to pay them over the summer as well.

As well as any operating loss we have some large loans to service and at some stage pay off.

Revenue will fall next season significantly - sponsorship, hospitality and gate receipts will all go down.

That's all before any calculation of what VK might want to spend on rebuilding his squad.
Last edited by forzagranata on Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.