Half time entertainment v Arsenal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Re: Half time entertainment v Arsenal

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:30 pm

whiffa wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 pm
A bit like this message board right Nori? Wish you'd take your own advice sometimes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 pm

Just heard the Bee Hole podcast discuss this and they were right. It really was embarrassing. The issue I have is that it is entertainment, a day out across the country, and at times one does question is it worth it?

- Mind numbing half times (contrast to the days of the assault courses and even Pie and Chips),
- frisked head to toe on entry (total lack of dignity for some, e.g. with medical devices attached to them), huge queues resulting
- away fans sat next to home fans depending on the luck of your seat
- catering a non league club could surpass
- concourses impossible to walk through
- druggies always using the bogs at half time
- cold water (again) in the hot taps
- club suddenly going top secret with basic info like long term injuries (e.g. heard a rumour about Al Dakhil but seen nothing official), which makes it hard to judge what kind of team you will end up watching for the next game, hard to talk about it in the pub or with family, etc

So it is getting to the point where the question has to be posed about whether any part of it is a decent experience akin to any other top tier sporting event. I’ve always praised elements of what the club are now doing but it does appear to have gone backwards sadly.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3192 times
Has Liked: 1873 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:36 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:26 pm
The half time stuff is cringeworthy.The axe should begin with the bloke on the mic, who screams Burnleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! to “welcome” the team back on the pitch. Does he not realise, we KNOW it’s Burnley. Jesus Christ it’s embarrassing 🙈
Absolutely this. It’s been an irritation of mine for years.

We don’t need to be told to make some noise to welcome Burnley.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:52 pm

I might be in the minority but I actually didn't mind the chip in the pie thing- the music used to annoy me though.

We did a crossbar challenge thing at one point before that didn't we?

There deffo used to be cheerleaders as well they used to line up infront of the JH lower and sat in the seats at the front.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 pm
Just heard the Bee Hole podcast discuss this and they were right. It really was embarrassing. The issue I have is that it is entertainment, a day out across the country, and at times one does question is it worth it?

- Mind numbing half times (contrast to the days of the assault courses and even Pie and Chips),
- frisked head to toe on entry (total lack of dignity for some, e.g. with medical devices attached to them), huge queues resulting
- club suddenly going top secret with basic info like long term injuries (e.g. heard a rumour about Al Dakhil but seen nothing official), which makes it hard to judge what kind of team you will end up watching for the next game, hard to talk about it in the pub or with family, etc

So it is getting to the point where the question has to be posed about whether any part of it is a decent experience akin to any other top tier sporting event. I’ve always praised elements of what the club are now doing but it does appear to have gone backwards sadly.
Yeah it is get in the ground as late as possible and get out again as soon as possible for me.

Jellybean
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Jellybean » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm

At least with the cheerleaders it was showcasing local talent, I'm probably reaching a bit there but at least something tied to the local community not using it as an opportunity to make money from whatever company was supplying the prizes. The cynic in me thinks it's probably a revenue generator for the club disguised as a daft game!

Anyway maybe we are being a little negative and should just roll with it!

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3191 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:39 am

Never mind the entertainment......were there any pies available?...were they hot & reasonably priced?
Was the beer flat?....was white coffee available?

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 am

Have they not paid they’re Sky bill,most people like to check the Half time scores from other games but yet again TV blank at JHL lower concourse when it did come on just showed endless re runs of Arsenals goals.
Absolutely Zero chance of any mobile phone signal at Turf moor so most times ,the first time you hear any other matches scores is on the radio back in your car.
If we can’t have Sky at HT on Tv can we have all scores displayed on Big screen ?

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:23 am

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:52 pm
I might be in the minority but I actually didn't mind the chip in the pie thing- the music used to annoy me though.
https://youtu.be/3QBdPMggJJo?feature=shared
This user liked this post: boyyanno

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:24 am

Penality shoot-outs (5-a side goals) involving junior football teams. Anything else always ends up being naff.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:35 am

its 15mins, does it really matter if they do nothing?

same for catering, if its crap don't use it. i know you'll always get the I've travelled 7500 miles and its my only opportunity to eat people, but for the most surely you can go a couple of hours without a meal. Same sorts who get on a flight and get enough food to feed the entire plane.

with the state of the performances at the moment, pies and silly half time games are the least of my complaints.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:39 am

Thought the Drop It Like It's Hot game was nearly funny when I thought it was a one off, just needed the announcer to realise it was camp and that there were booby prizes which he didn't.

Just bizarre having it week after week really, especially when the football is also dreadful. Just have some kids on playing a match or doing a penalty shootout and coach the other announcer on how to interview an ex-player.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:16 am

What ever happened to the Golden Gamble and a 'Meal for Two at the Rose and Bowl'?

Can't recall hearing it for ages.

getbennyon
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by getbennyon » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 am

The tannoy is so loud, it's impossible to have a half-time debrief which is something many of us have enjoyed for decades. I don't know whether it's deliberate to force people to seek refuge in the concourse and therefore more likely to spend some money or it's just Americans that know best. When you combine the tannoy with the ridiculous terrorist like searches outside, it is going to make it harder and harder for people to justify spending their hard-earned if the match day experience is so poor.

Jacko
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Jacko » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:09 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 pm

Agree with all of this; lots of irritations at present. Yes, the performances and the team matter most and yes, none of these (plus lots of other things I could list) are, on their own, the worst things in the world, but they should all be easy to put right. If you picked a season ticket holder at random and gave them some power over club decisions, I'd imagine most of them would put a lot of this stuff right fairly easily. That's the source of a lot of frustration to me and it suggests the club isn't being run in the correct way and/or by people who understand what we're about.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Tinribs wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:51 am
Have they not paid they’re Sky bill,most people like to check the Half time scores from other games but yet again TV blank at JHL lower concourse when it did come on just showed endless re runs of Arsenals goals.
Absolutely Zero chance of any mobile phone signal at Turf moor so most times ,the first time you hear any other matches scores is on the radio back in your car.
If we can’t have Sky at HT on Tv can we have all scores displayed on Big screen ?
This.
No-one wants to see 10 replays of each opposition goal from different angles ...just put bloody Sky on so we can see the half time scores in all the other games around the country. Drives me mad, especially when there is no possibility of getting an internet connection.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:55 pm

As stated earlier, the past few home games we have not seen any HT scores from other games. It’s also annoying, that when they do bother to put them up, we only get the scores from our League. i.e. Prem League this season, Championship last. As the mobile signal around the ground is so poor, surely the minimum we can expect is HT scores from the top 2 leagues.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2625 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:02 pm

A few references to non-league here, but honestly that's what we should aspire to at half time. You can easily get warm food and a pint without queueing for 20 minutes. You can check the scores. You can talk to your mates / family. It's actually enjoyable.

Just recreate that on a much bigger scale.
This user liked this post: Whitgord

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:06 pm

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm
Yeah it is get in the ground as late as possible and get out again as soon as possible for me.
When has it ever been anything else? For anyone?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:08 pm

When people are kids? Or have kids?