Sean Dyche Matthew Syed interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Sean Dyche Matthew Syed interview

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:42 pm

Sean Dyche: Love is shown by telling the whole, brutal truth

Matthew Syed, Sunday February 18 2024, 9.10pm, The Times

A fascinating article about a guy many of us know well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ec6a ... 6da6b5ac19

Link will take you past the paywall.
These 4 users liked this post: bfcjg AfloatinClaret spt_claret Claretmisterg

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6906 times

Re: Sean Dyche Matthew Syed interview

Post by bfcjg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:46 am

Good read cheers. He's such an articulate bloke.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 am

Yes thank you for the read. I think SD would be a great man to be around. He should still be the Burnley Manager in my eyes and that’s no disrespect to VK.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup IanMcL

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 pm

Entirely independent of being team Kompany In for now, I miss Dyche. Can't help it, know it's not popular with some, but I do.
Even when results weren't there or the playstyle was dull or I found him stubborn & inflexible, I was proud of that Burnley team. They gave it their all, they did it the right way, and I felt his integrity was, and still is, something to admire. Whatever he may or may not go on to achieve as a manager, he's too good a guy for Everton after their last several dishonest years.
I didn't want him sacked, felt giving him til the end of the season at least was the right call as he'd turned it around late before, regardless of players finding things stale. I think had he been financially backed like Kompany to oversee a rebuild he could have done a good one. Whether he would have WANTED to strip out certain players is another matter.
I felt a connectedness to the club under Dyche that the only other times came close were promotion under Coyle, and under Stan. Dyche more than either. We were a rare outlier but for the right reasons, so I'll always enjoy a read like this and be grateful for what he did for Burnley. Thanks for sharing.
These 6 users liked this post: Falcon Stayingup Rowls Wo Didi IanMcL Claret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm

Syed clearly likes Dyche for his honesty, common sense, curries and beers - a good interview.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:16 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:02 pm
Entirely independent of being team Kompany In for now, I miss Dyche. Can't help it, know it's not popular with some, but I do.
Even when results weren't there or the playstyle was dull or I found him stubborn & inflexible, I was proud of that Burnley team. They gave it their all, they did it the right way, and I felt his integrity was, and still is, something to admire. Whatever he may or may not go on to achieve as a manager, he's too good a guy for Everton after their last several dishonest years.
I didn't want him sacked, felt giving him til the end of the season at least was the right call as he'd turned it around late before, regardless of players finding things stale. I think had he been financially backed like Kompany to oversee a rebuild he could have done a good one. Whether he would have WANTED to strip out certain players is another matter.
I felt a connectedness to the club under Dyche that the only other times came close were promotion under Coyle, and under Stan. Dyche more than either. We were a rare outlier but for the right reasons, so I'll always enjoy a read like this and be grateful for what he did for Burnley. Thanks for sharing.
Agree. I think the important word you used is “connectedness” I said on another thread recently that I feel we’ve none of that anymore. Also Dyche came across as one of us ( can’t describe exactly what I mean). I don’t know but I’m guessing Dyche was not prepared to go down the route of buying just young players and selling them on. If he’d have had the cash that VK has had I’m sure under his further tenure we would have progressed. Only my opinion of course. I miss the guy.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm

Just to counteract, I was ready to for him to go. He did amazing things for the club, should probably have a statue at the ground, but I think I’d had enough towards the end of his tenure, both on and off the pitch. I think the players had too.
These 2 users liked this post: Foshiznik Silkyskills1

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 357 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:28 pm

I haven't written Kompany off yet but I wish we had kept Dyche.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2034 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:44 pm

I love Dyche and he will always be a legend unlike a certain Judas, but VK provided one of the most exciting seasons i have ever experience and that wouldn't have happened without Dyche going. It was the right time for the club and for Sean.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm
Just to counteract, I was ready to for him to go. He did amazing things for the club, should probably have a statue at the ground, but I think I’d had enough towards the end of his tenure, both on and off the pitch. I think the players had too.
Agreed, it was a sad day but his time here had run it's course. I also feel like he'd had enough and don't think he would have had the hunger to rebuild the squad for a Championship campaign.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:13 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm
Quite agree. Whoever was to blame the breakdown of his relationship with Garlick had killed a lot of that unity. Although he looked set to be reinvented with the new owners, it never really felt like the love and unity was still there. I hoped it would return but was neither shocked nor devastated when the end came.

With a bit of time passing I do miss him, but I believe he and the club needed a change, or at least a rest from each other.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 pm

Fair play to him if he kept a straight face complaining about cheating given he wants his club to be let off scot free for cheating.
This user liked this post: HB Claret

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 1017 times

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:06 pm

I really liked Dyche but it was time for a change of style. Watching the Everton v Palace game last night just completely reminded me of how much we needed a change. It had become cliched and mind numbingly dull

Last season under VK was spectacular not so much for the end result but more the style of play. so unlike what we had become.

It's been massively disappointingly poor this season and no one can deny that. I hope we start to see some improvement and some confidence lifting performances in the remainder of the season. He has got a hell of a job between now and the start of the next season..

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:20 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 pm
Fair play to him if he kept a straight face complaining about cheating given he wants his club to be let off scot free for cheating.
Absolutely this.

He was on Radio 5 on Friday night and his argument seemed to be that because their accounts were now in order, they shouldn’t be punished for a period of time when they weren’t. Darren Fletcher appeared to be in complete agreement with him and was happy for Dyche to spin the “hard done by” narrative.

Always makes me chuckle when folk on here say VK gets softball treatment by the media.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:12 pm

He always made it very clear that one day he would part ways with Burnley.
Said it many many times in interviews and even when he was doing his presentations at the opening of the new training grounds he talked about it.

He was unbelievable for us and we were lucky to have him. But it was always going to end one way or another.

I like his stance on diving, the no contact thing - he’s always been pretty consistent on that.

But there are some double standards in his beliefs about what constitutes cheating. I was in the Bob Lord stand when we played Watford when he was one of the coaches under Malky McKay. In all my years watching Burnley I have rarely seen a coaching team to what they did in badgering the officials for 90 minutes and the other things that were doing on on the touchline.
The nearest comparison I think was Joe Jordon when he was assistant to Harry at QPR. Dyche has carried this approach on in his management style with Woan, Stone etc. I know other managers do it too but it’s relentless the way they seek to influence the officials.

Claretmisterg
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 338 times

Post by Claretmisterg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:28 pm

Great read that. Says it like it is.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:13 pm
Quite agree. Whoever was to blame the breakdown of his relationship with Garlick had killed a lot of that unity. Although he looked set to be reinvented with the new owners, it never really felt like the love and unity was still there. I hoped it would return but was neither shocked nor devastated when the end came.

With a bit of time passing I do miss him, but I believe he and the club needed a change, or at least a rest from each other.
The love and unity had probably gone because he spent £40m in his final season and we won 1 game from August until February. This season has been dreadful but imagine if we only had 1 win on the board at this stage.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:50 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm
The love and unity had probably gone because he spent £40m in his final season and we won 1 game from August until February. This season has been dreadful but imagine if we only had 1 win on the board at this stage.
Interesting - did not remember HOW bad that season had been. Just had a look at the result and there were a few draws in there which ameliorated the feel. What date SD get potted out of interest?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:05 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:50 pm
Interesting - did not remember HOW bad that season had been. Just had a look at the result and there were a few draws in there which ameliorated the feel. What date SD get potted out of interest?
Good Friday, 15th April
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:19 pm

So 4 wins all season until he went on April 15th?

Yup it was a howler of a season with absolute dire football. It was almost like SD had mentally downed tools in a show of power. There was very little of that backs against the wall fight. None of that "in it together" - just that stubborn resilience borne out of years of doing the same thing.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:16 pm

Clearly I was a Dyche critic in his last few years he was with us, however that was a good refreshing read.

I would suggest though that he practices what he preaches sometimes which is intrinsically linked to his point about no excuses and just work harder. Some top notch life advice right there.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:21 pm

Personal opinion: I'm pleased that Sean Dyche, James Tarkowski and Dwight McNeil are showing that none of them are "one club wonders" and that they can all show their skills at another Premier League club. (I'm equally pleased that Ben Mee at Brentford and Nick Pope at Newcastle - before injury - are showing themselves to be great footballers).

It will just be a shame for all the ex-Clarets at Everton if they experience relegation again, this time because Everton breached FFP rules.

UTC

Stayingup
Been Liked: 922 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:16 pm
Clearly I was a Dyche critic in his last few years he was with us, however that was a good refreshing read.

I would suggest though that he practices what he preaches sometimes which is intrinsically linked to his point about no excuses and just work harder. Some top notch life advice right there.
Yes you were the one who categorically stated that HE WOULD NEVER GET ANOTHER MANAGERS JOB. So you offering advice is rich.

He was dealt a bad lot when the former chairman closed the purse strings to fatten the goose for sale and in his last season suffered some bad luck. Injury to Ben Mee, a silly penalty v Newcastle and some poor goals conceded down our left flank. His teams showed guts and heart, qualities sadly lacking in Saturdays inept performance.
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:54 pm

The last couple of seasons I really thought he was trying to get the sack.
Up until his spat with Mike Garlick he had been excellent for us, probably stayed too long.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:25 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:50 pm
Already answered below, that season was rotten, just as bad as this one imo. The performances in the Brentford and Norwich away games were sackable offences alone.

I have no idea what he was thinking, he brought Cork in and we won two on the spin, then he took Cork out. Pretty sure Mee said he’d lost the dressing room which in the end was pretty evident.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:48 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 pm
Yes you were the one who categorically stated that HE WOULD NEVER GET ANOTHER MANAGERS JOB. So you offering advice is rich.

He was dealt a bad lot when the former chairman closed the purse strings to fatten the goose for sale and in his last season suffered some bad luck. Injury to Ben Mee, a silly penalty v Newcastle and some poor goals conceded down our left flank. His teams showed guts and heart, qualities sadly lacking in Saturdays inept performance.
Calm down. If you could point me to where I ever said he wouldn’t get another job that would be fine and dandy… of course you are Mis- representing what I have said in the past that Burnley will be the highlight of his career and he won’t get a better job than with us.

I’m confused by your post. Clearly you are trying to hard to be outraged for whatever reason. I haven’t offered any advice, I have commented on advice given out in the article that.

Clear case of playing the man and not the ball. Too many of your kind on here causing problems.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:59 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:48 pm
Calm down. If you could point me to where I ever said he wouldn’t get another job that would be fine and dandy… of course you are Mis- representing what I have said in the past that Burnley will be the highlight of his career and he won’t get a better job than with us.

I’m confused by your post. Clearly you are trying to hard to be outraged for whatever reason. I haven’t offered any advice, I have commented on advice given out in the article that.

Clear case of playing the man and not the ball. Too many of your kind on here causing problems.
You’ve said he wouldn’t get another job in the top flight
You’ve also said he’d only get one at a struggling club in the top flight
You’ve said no club with any ambition would want him
He was only with us because no one else wanted him
You’ve also said you hope he fails miserably at his next job and is utterly embarrassed

So to be fair, you’ve never said he wouldn’t get another job ever again, I’ll give you that one

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:46 pm

First interview he hasn’t mentioned being mates with Kasabian.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:59 pm

I like Mr D and I liked his team.
His players were deceptively good and we saw they gave everything.

They were mature men.

The only problem he had at Burnley, was the inability to move one or two on and sign one or two, each season. That would have kept everything going.

Instead, our squad just got too old and 'stale'.

Board responsible for that. We know why.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Lord_Bob

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:20 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:59 pm
I like Mr D and I liked his team.
His players were deceptively good and we saw they gave everything.

They were mature men.

The only problem he had at Burnley, was the inability to move one or two on and sign one or two, each season. That would have kept everything going.

Instead, our squad just got too old and 'stale'.

Board responsible for that. We know why.
Agree totally.....

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:36 am

KRBFC wrote:
I have no idea if SD spent the money, but even at the time they seemed very unlike Dyche type signings and the changed dynamic of the team atmosphere, and the way he employed them in games suggests not to me.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 am

elwaclaret wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:36 am
I have no idea if SD spent the money, but even at the time they seemed very unlike Dyche type signings and the changed dynamic of the team atmosphere, and the way he employed them in games suggests not to me.
That’s just deflecting blame elsewhere though, shame VK isn’t given the same pass.

VK signed the good ones, Pace signed the bad ones.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:45 am

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:38 am
That’s just deflecting blame elsewhere though, shame VK isn’t given the same pass.

VK signed the good ones, Pace signed the bad ones.
Not sure you can make that comparison. The whole ethos of Dyche’s final flurry of signings were very different from his previous model. Not calling Kompany but the influx of his two seasons if nothing else suggests a consistency of approach. I have not once suggested sacking VK by the way.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:13 am

If Dyche had been provided the resources to reinvigorate his squad over the last two years of his reign at Burnley, I would suspect we would be comfortably in a 'safe' area of around 13th/14th with him still manager here. He is guilty of hanging on to some players too long when good offers were there (Tarky, if he wouldn't sign another deal, is the obvious one here) but he possibly did so knowing that he was going to get barely any of the income anyway. The sad reality is that he was stifled by, seemingly, Garlick's pursuit of a leveraged buyout in the manner that we saw which required a healthy club balance to make us attractive to a group with limited money of their own.

Dyche didn't outstay his welcome at Burnley for me. The football was terrible in that last season but I cannot help but view it through the lens of what I had previously said. He clearly did a 10/10 job overall during his time at the club, notwithstanding the football style (which had undoubtedly got worse, but we played some superb football at different times during his tenure). I was sad to see him sacked as I was very vocal about at the time as I was certain he'd bring us back if we got relegated (much like I keep saying about Kompany now!) so it felt somewhat pointless in that respect. I hope the learning from what Dyche delivered in the years following relegation in 2014 will be recognised by ALK in deciding what to do after going down this season. This can just be a bump on the road if the entire club is aligned properly.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:46 am

KRBFC wrote:
We bought Cornet, Collins and Weghorst and Connor Roberts…..for about £40m yes.
But we sold Wood, Gibson, and Josh Benson for around £35m.

Chris Wood had had probably his worst 6 months in a claret shirt before we sold him but I doubt Dyche wanted to sell him….at that price given his age though it was an unbelievable offer from Newcastle. But for Dyche it was the same situation for Tarks I’m guessing. Why sell my best players and make my team weaker if I cannot get better players with the money you are giving me ?

Collins was still pretty raw in that first season too and even though Tarks was our best and most consistent player in Dyche’s last season losing Ben Mee to injuries that year was massive for us.

We know that Dwight lost his form and confidence that season too.

The loss of big players combined with whatever what was happening between Garlick and Dyche must have contributed to our relegation - and despite all this we still took it to the last game of the season. Something we won’t be anywhere achieving this season.

Personally I find it very difficult to blame Dyche for the relegation that season. That’s not to say he did not make mistakes.

But if Cornet had not missed a penalty at West Ham or open net at Norwich or the referee made a horrendous mistake at home against Norwich when Vydra was knocked out by their keeper….then we stay up.

Also think VK has had some really bad luck with injuries and refereeing decisions this season but I do think that VK has made more mistakes and baffling decisions this year than Dyche did in his full tenure at Burnley. For some fans (me included) VK has enough credit and goodwill for what we achieved last season to give him another chance to get us back up next year.

And I also think that’s how a lot of Burnley fans felt about Dyche when he got sacked.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:46 am
We bought Cornet, Collins and Weghorst and Connor Roberts…..for about £40m yes.
But we sold Wood, Gibson, and Josh Benson for around £35m.

Chris Wood had had probably his worst 6 months in a claret shirt before we sold him but I doubt Dyche wanted to sell him….at that price given his age though it was an unbelievable offer from Newcastle. But for Dyche it was the same situation for Tarks I’m guessing. Why sell my best players and make my team weaker if I cannot get better players with the money you are giving me ?

Collins was still pretty raw in that first season too and even though Tarks was our best and most consistent player in Dyche’s last season losing Ben Mee to injuries that year was massive for us.

We know that Dwight lost his form and confidence that season too.

The loss of big players combined with whatever what was happening between Garlick and Dyche must have contributed to our relegation - and despite all this we still took it to the last game of the season. Something we won’t be anywhere achieving this season.

Personally I find it very difficult to blame Dyche for the relegation that season. That’s not to say he did not make mistakes.

But if Cornet had not missed a penalty at West Ham or open net at Norwich or the referee made a horrendous mistake at home against Norwich when Vydra was knocked out by their keeper….then we stay up.

Also think VK has had some really bad luck with injuries and refereeing decisions this season but I do think that VK has made more mistakes and baffling decisions this year than Dyche did in his full tenure at Burnley. For some fans (me included) VK has enough credit and goodwill for what we achieved last season to give him another chance to get us back up next year.

And I also think that’s how a lot of Burnley fans felt about Dyche when he got sacked.
I don’t disagree with a word you typed, those who bash VK for spending £100m don’t consider net spend or wage bill though.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:10 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 pm
I don’t disagree with a word you typed, those who bash VK for spending £100m don’t consider net spend or wage bill though.
I know….and I’ve posted several times to remind them and also provided a good indication of how I think this impacts our finances.

But when you have a view that every single thing is doom and gloom you tend to only want to focus on certain facts.

Look at how many posters say that last season is now irrelevant ? I have zero understanding as to how any supporter can think that way.

Feck me its only the joy and feeling of last season that has got me through this year !! And that’s a feeling as Burnley fans we have had many a season.
This user liked this post: KRBFC