Tom Lockyer: I thought I was dying

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Tom Lockyer: I thought I was dying

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:50 pm

Tom Lockyer: I thought I was dying – but I’d love to play again

Luton Town captain’s heart stopped for more than two minutes after he collapsed on pitch in December and needed a defibrillator but he is not ruling out a return to action

Dominic Akiboye, Sunday February 18 2024, 9.30pm, The Times

Forget that Tom Lockyer is the captain of one of Burnley's rivals at the bottom of the Premier League this season. Just read it as a human story and the game we love.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/78d7 ... 16c1f107ae

Link will take you past the paywall.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Re: Tom Lockyer: I thought I was dying

Post by spt_claret » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:13 pm

For his own sake I hope he rethinks 'not ruling out a return'.
Erikksen returning to playing was a remarkable story, but there's been enough players die of heart attacks, or like Muamba, not risk it further. Lockyer had 2 separate cardiac incidents in the span of 6 months. That's already 2 dodged bullets.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:56 pm

Eriksen came back following the fitting of an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD). Tom Lockyer only received an ICD after this most recent incident.

Some would suggest that carrying a mini defibrillator with them at all times would actually make them the most safe of all players on the pitch.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:00 pm

Considering he will be almost 30 by the time he could potentially be fit to play again I wouldn't even entertain playing again if I was him. Obviously it's a decision for him and his family to make though.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:00 pm
Considering he will be almost 30 by the time he could potentially be fit to play again I wouldn't even entertain playing again if I was him. Obviously it's a decision for him and his family to make though.
I turned 70 last November. I started playing walking football 3 years ago. A week after my 70th birthday I was invited to play for an over 70s walking football team in a group of friendlies. One of the other teams was the England "Heart and Cancer Recovery" team. One of their players - he appeared to be a few years older than me - had suffered a cardiac arrest 8 weeks earlier and was playing with an ICD fitted. Most walking football games are played under strict "no contact" rules, but it takes some courage to play so soon after a cardiac arrest.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:03 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 pm
I turned 70 last November. I started playing walking football 3 years ago. A week after my 70th birthday I was invited to play for an over 70s walking football team in a group of friendlies. One of the other teams was the England "Heart and Cancer Recovery" team. One of their players - he appeared to be a few years older than me - had suffered a cardiac arrest 8 weeks earlier and was playing with an ICD fitted. Most walking football games are played under strict "no contact" rules, but it takes some courage to play so soon after a cardiac arrest.
Absolutely. And I suppose you’ve got to get on with your life - you couldn’t be in a much safer environment in the middle of a Premier League football pitch in terms of access to an AED and medical care. But 2 cardiac arrests in such a short space of time, both during matches would certainly make my mind up for me, especially towards the tail end of a playing career.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 pm

I hope he makes the right decision for him and importantly his family. Surely Luton will offer him a full time role coaching or scouting.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:40 am

It will depend whether Tom just has an electrical problem with his heart or whether he has structural heart disease brought out by playing football. He has had both atrial and ventricular fibrillation which may indicate a more serious underlying cardiac problem. Super athletes do have an increased risk of atrial fibrillation and of course those who abuse anabolic steroids or growth hormone can die prematurely from their habit. I came across a professional body builder who competed internationally and refused to stop his habit despite actual heart failure so I imagine he is no longer with us.

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:16 am

Up until a couple of years ago the only high profile footballer i can ever recall collapsing on a football pitch was Fabrice Muamba for Bolton.

In the last few years we have had Eriksen, Lindelof, Aguero, Traore, Fleck, Lockyer twice and many others who have collapsed on the pitch with chest pains.

There have been numerous other footballers and professional athletes collapsing all over the world.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me and why it has suddenly started happening in the last couple of years?

I am also confused why there seems to be no media coverage of this phenomenon.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:48 am

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:53 am

as has been posted scores of athletes have had sudden deaths and some footballers died as a result of an undiagnosed problem called HOCM which has a genetic basis. Now all professional footballers undergo an echocardiogram to pick this up which will of course end their playing career. Terry Yorath's son suffered from this and collapsed and died playing football with his Dad in their garden I believe.

clarets1978
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by clarets1978 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:24 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:44 am
I know your a conspiritard, so I'll just give a quick retort -

Does it have to be high profile to be relevant? There's been instances in other leagues throughout history, even some in training.

Miklós Fehér collapsed and died from cardiac arrhythmia - Benfica in early 2000s, I'm sure there's a ton more if you really want to dig into it.

Can give a couple more as well. Mark Vivien Foe playing for Cameroon and then going back to the late 80s David Longhurst at York, so agree there, defo not a recent thing at all

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:53 am

CoolClaret wrote:

Does it have to be high profile to be relevant? There's been instances in other leagues throughout history, even some in training.

Miklós Fehér collapsed and died from cardiac arrhythmia - Benfica in early 2000s, I'm sure there's a ton more if you really want to dig into it.

Literally always has been - you should see cycling in the 80s and 90s.

There's numerous reasons - football in particular, well the game is a lot more physically demanding - specifically in terms of fitness. All players now are incredibly fit and intensive cardio Chronic can lead to heart damage and rhythm disorders -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4537939/
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can- ... your-heart

Then factor in the pandemic - you will blame the vaccine of course, which for sure for some people will contribute to myocarditis but you know what else does to greater effect?.... The virus itself.

So mix in genetics, left ventricular hypertrophy/damage to the heart from intense exercise and a pandemic then you'll sadly start see cases popping up.

Is there any need to use the term ‘conspiritard’?

You totally miss his point, it isn’t that it never used to happen before, it’s the alarming frequency that it’s happening today. If you still do not notice it, then you need to have a rethink.

Anonymous Claret

Post by Anonymous Claret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:55 am

CoolClaret wrote:

Literally always has been - you should see cycling in the 80s and 90s.

There's numerous reasons - football in particular, well the game is a lot more physically demanding - specifically in terms of fitness. All players now are incredibly fit and intensive cardio Chronic can lead to heart damage and rhythm disorders -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4537939/
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/can- ... your-heart

Then factor in the pandemic - you will blame the vaccine of course, which for sure for some people will contribute to myocarditis but you know what else does to greater effect?.... The virus itself.

So mix in genetics, left ventricular hypertrophy/damage to the heart from intense exercise and a pandemic then you'll sadly start see cases popping up.
Just asking questions ;)

No need for the abuse btw

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:53 am
Is there any need to use the term ‘conspiritard’?

You totally miss his point, it isn’t that it never used to happen before, it’s the alarming frequency that it’s happening today. If you still do not notice it, then you need to have a rethink.
Yeah there is because I know exactly what his angle anonymous is trying to push (look at the crap they've written about 9/11 etc)

+ it's really not at an alarming frequency at all, for reasons alluded to in my post.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22 pm
Yeah there is because I know exactly what his angle anonymous is trying to push (look at the crap they've written about 9/11 etc)

+ it's really not at an alarming frequency at all, for reasons alluded to in my post.
It really is an alarming frequency. Go and have a look at the stuff coroner’s are pulling out of bodies since 2021. Doesn’t take a genius to join the dots.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:31 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 pm
It really is an alarming frequency. Go and have a look at the stuff coroner’s are pulling out of bodies since 2021. Doesn’t take a genius to join the dots.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 122.059970
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.32.10.png
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.32.10.png (230.29 KiB) Viewed 938 times

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:40 pm

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:12 pm

Straight to the author section and of course, it's a bunch of Yank Drs that were exposed for pushing misinfo during the pandemic but are platformed by the right wing grifters, biggest one being:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_A._McCullough

"In December 2021, McCullough appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience promoting debunked conspiracy theories and misinformation (e.g. the COVID-19 pandemic was planned, the spike protein causes cell death, medical authorities are conspiring to illegitimately suppress hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin)

McCullough has served as Chief Scientific Officer for The Wellness Company, a Florida-based dietary supplement and telehealth company, since its founding in June 2022.

In October 2022, the American Board of Internal Medicine recommended that McCullough's board certification be revoked due to his promotion of misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines."

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/ ... nt-deaths/
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... ves/101529

You need to work on your bullshit meter from whatever platforms you're getting your info from

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:12 pm
Straight to the author section and of course, it's a bunch of Yank Drs that were exposed for pushing misinfo during the pandemic but are platformed by the right wing grifters, biggest one being:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_A._McCullough

"In December 2021, McCullough appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience promoting debunked conspiracy theories and misinformation (e.g. the COVID-19 pandemic was planned, the spike protein causes cell death, medical authorities are conspiring to illegitimately suppress hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin)

McCullough has served as Chief Scientific Officer for The Wellness Company, a Florida-based dietary supplement and telehealth company, since its founding in June 2022.

In October 2022, the American Board of Internal Medicine recommended that McCullough's board certification be revoked due to his promotion of misinformation about COVID-19 vaccines."

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/ ... nt-deaths/
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-re ... ves/101529

You need to work on your bullshit meter from whatever platforms you're getting your info from
And there in lies your problem. Believing the ‘misinformation’ bullshit and whatever link I post, that is the line you will harp back to because the TNI told you to think that way. Go and watch the died suddenly on rumble documentary and tell me that those coroners are talking bull **** too, or is rumble not mainstream enough for you?

You have used Wikipedia to discredit one of the peers of the studies, who get their info from the ‘TNI’ who are all pushing info from the cdc and the fda. Go and have a look at who funds them, and what else they fund.

You know it’s funny because when people talk about 9/11 (I’m not on board with the ‘theories’ before you say I am) and the common push backs I hear are that they couldn’t have possibly kept something as big as that quiet there would be whistleblowers. Well with this there is, plenty of them and they are shut down as being wacky nutjobs. When this all comes out, it is going to make those people look very silly indeed.

I’m done wasting my time.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 am

We shouldn't be mean to anti-vaxxers. They are just silly little guys without a lot of brain power.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 am
We shouldn't be mean to anti-vaxxers. They are just silly little guys without a lot of brain power.
Don't forget your boosters.

Stay safe.
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

Anonymous Claret

Post by Anonymous Claret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am

I don't know 1 unvaccinated person who regrets not having the experimental jab.

I know quite a few people who regret falling for the coercion, intimidation and propaganda and swear they won't have another 1

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:57 am

Aye alright then.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:02 am

Silly little guys.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5563 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:53 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am
I don't know 1 unvaccinated person who regrets not having the experimental jab.

I know quite a few people who regret falling for the coercion, intimidation and propaganda and swear they won't have another 1
Regret it because it has had a negative affect on them or because they've been reading anti-vax propaganda?

Or because they erroneously believed the vaccine stopped them from catching covid but have caught it since.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:49 am
And there in lies your problem. Believing the ‘misinformation’ bullshit and whatever link I post, that is the line you will harp back to because the TNI told you to think that way. Go and watch the died suddenly on rumble documentary and tell me that those coroners are talking bull **** too, or is rumble not mainstream enough for you?

You have used Wikipedia to discredit one of the peers of the studies, who get their info from the ‘TNI’ who are all pushing info from the cdc and the fda. Go and have a look at who funds them, and what else they fund.

You know it’s funny because when people talk about 9/11 (I’m not on board with the ‘theories’ before you say I am) and the common push backs I hear are that they couldn’t have possibly kept something as big as that quiet there would be whistleblowers. Well with this there is, plenty of them and they are shut down as being wacky nutjobs. When this all comes out, it is going to make those people look very silly indeed.

I’m done wasting my time.
If you're posting links to Drs using bunk science that have been fully discredited for their views on this in the medical community then yes, of course I will.

As for the funding part - go on tell me, does it boil down to "the Jews" - is that what this is about?

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 pm
If you're posting links to Drs using bunk science that have been fully discredited for their views on this in the medical community then yes, of course I will.

As for the funding part - go on tell me, does it boil down to "the Jews" - is that what this is about?
There are enough people coming out about this sort of stuff. I have told you to go and watch the documentary. I have posted links. I could post a lot more if I could be bothered but I really can’t but just for clarity - no it isn’t about ‘the Jews’.

Have a good day and good luck (I mean that genuinely by the way)

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 pm
There are enough people coming out about this sort of stuff. I have told you to go and watch the documentary. I have posted links. I could post a lot more if I could be bothered but I really can’t but just for clarity - no it isn’t about ‘the Jews’.

Have a good day and good luck (I mean that genuinely by the way)
Who's doing the funding - just so we know the angle to this you're coming from?

Anonymous Claret

Post by Anonymous Claret » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:03 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:53 pm
Regret it because it has had a negative affect on them or because they've been reading anti-vax propaganda?

Or because they erroneously believed the vaccine stopped them from catching covid but have caught it since.
Several reasons. The 2 most serious examples are a lady who experienced a stroke and my next door neighbour who was admitted to hospital with myocarditis. Lots of other people have experienced minor adverse reactions such as headaches and nausea etc. My cousin in the US also experienced blood clots in her nose. Quite a few people I know had the jab either to maintain their employment or to travel abroad. I will add for balance that the vast majority of people that I know who have had the vaccine have had no or very minor adverse reactions

Quite a few of my relatives have all had their jabs and boosters etc but some of them have still caught Covid. Several times in some cases. Even though it doesn't work they will probably still keep going back for their boosters. To me that is the definition of insanity.

I wish people like yourself would stop with the anti vax slurs. There really is no need. The vast majority of doctors and scientists who have spoken out against the vaccine have lost or risked losing everything including their careers and licence to practice.

They are tiny people fighting against a multi trillion pound industry in Big Pharma that holds all the power and resources. Near enough every UK doctor and scientist that endorsed the vaccine were employed by a university or teaching hospital that had received hundreds of thousands and in some examples millions of pounds from the Bill And Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). You cannot read an impartial view in the Guardian or watch it on the BBC as the BMGF have funded both of those organisations with millions of pounds also.

Here is Ezra Levant from Rebel News asking Christopher Elias the Gates Foundation President the sort of questions his boss should be being asked by every media outlet in the Western world. Yet nothing. There is a wall of silence.

https://www.rebelnews.com/every_questio ... omic_forum

In 2019 Big Pharma lobbied US Congress by twice as much as the next big industry which I think was Insurance. The leading politicians are in the pockets of these industries. You can also add the banks, the military industrial complex, the media and big tech to the list.

If people can get their heads around the fact that big pharma do not want people to stay free of illness there is a chance more people will see them for the murdering frauds that they are. If everyone stays well then Big Pharma makes less profit. If there is world peace the arms companies make no money. If people didn't borrow so much the banks would make less profit. And so on and so on.