Take a look back

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Take a look back

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 am

Cast your mind back to the start of the season.

The first six fixtures - Man City (world champs), Villa, Spurs, Forest, ManU, Newcastle.
Robbed by VAR at Forest so 1 point and 15 goals conceded
Also a game behind the rest because Luton’s ground wasn’t good enough. What a difference 3 points at that time would have made.

What a cruel start for a team of young strangers, rock bottom and only a couple of teams within catching distance. The games got tougher - against stronger, bigger, more experienced opponents - the team perceived as an easy touch, with obvious flaws to their game.

Injuries, illnesses and VAR disputes have kicked in at critical times. Some long-term injuries to players now out for the season.

What a baptism of fire these guys have endured and now an element of fans have turned against them - both as individuals and as a team. Yes they are paid handsomely and yes they are expected to perform, but I bet a few of them wish they were elsewhere because of the abuse from the terraces.

Shame on you - you know who you are. Is it any wonder that our away record is better than our home results ??

Now is the time for full-on support for a special Club - starting with each and every one of the players, the manager and his staff and the Chairman and governing body.

We’re in the last chance saloon, so let’s shoot the piano player(s) and change the tune.

UTC.
These 5 users liked this post: Anthonini boatshed bill Rick_Muller LincsWoldsClaret gandhisflipflop

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Re: Take a look back

Post by Pickles » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:30 am

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 am
the abuse from the terraces.
Give over. We've been rubbish. I think Burnley fans are quite realistic and patient compared to the majority of supporters, especially at the level we're currently at. But we aren't daft either. We can see when the effort and organisation isn't there. I don't think fans are grumbling exclusively because the side isn't good enough or that it's facing relegation. The grumbles are there because of the insipid way we've performed from opening day to now.

If we were in the league position we're in but showed a bit of grit and guts then at least we could grip onto that as a fanbase and hope for a miracle. But it's tricky to be enthused about any game at the moment. Even a win tomorrow would seem like a fluke rather than the growth of a great escape, going off the rest of the season.

But yes. UTC.
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:50 am

I'm one of the first to have a pop but I have to say the fans have been very patient at the ground (from what I can tell and from speaking to those that go). I wish there was a bit more gallows humour about our position and those that sing just almost sang for the sake of it regardless of how crap we've been. Me and my mates used to do it a lot and it encouraged others. Young team would probably find it helpful. I appreciate it's easy for me to say from over here but you'll have to trust me when I say I'd love to be going to games, genuinely the only thing I miss.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:10 am

Very hard to sing a cheer when you are getting battered regularly, but I think for most games, given the context of how poor the season has been, the support from the fans has been decent.

The fans were still up for in the CFS against Arsenal only for us the concede in 4 mins, then the whole place just deflates, as you know you're in for another crap afternoon.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:18 am

IWOODLOVETT wrote:

What a cruel start for a team of young strangers, rock bottom and only a couple of teams within catching distance. The games got tougher - against stronger, bigger, more experienced opponents - the team perceived as an easy touch, with obvious flaws to their game.
This is one of the most damning indictments of our team I've seen posted on here and it's right. Built to be loads worse than all the other teams and it shows. The rest of the OP is crap though.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:47 am

There has been no abuse from the terraces.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:58 am

I think the fans have been remarkably patient. At some other clubs, they might have
burned the stand down.

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:59 am

Abuse from the terraces - I don’t think so. In one way, abuse would be better than the atmosphere I currently see at the Turf, which is apathy and resignation.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:03 am

May be its where I sit, but I don't recognise the comment about abuse from home supporters either. I'm sure there will be isolated incidents, but on the whole there has been lots of patience and understanding. I'm a little surprised, given our dismal home record and often unenjoyable performances, that it hasn't been much more negative and toxic, but, thankfully, that hasn't happened from what I see and hear.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:08 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:47 am
There has been no abuse from the terraces.
Correct, only from anonymous people sat behind a computer
These 2 users liked this post: nettiepicot92 boatshed bill

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:11 am

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:03 am
May be its where I sit, but I don't recognise the comment about abuse from home supporters either. I'm sure there will be isolated incidents, but on the whole there has been lots of patience and understanding. I'm a little surprised, given our dismal home record and often unenjoyable performances, that it hasn't been much more negative and toxic, but, thankfully, that hasn't happened from what I see and hear.
I think the crowd have started getting restless towards the end of games when we’ve been losing but still passing sideways and backwards ,but haven’t heard any abuse at all towards the players or Kompany,I don’t know where the OP thinks he’s seen this ,( abuse on the boards ,and more and more arguing about what’s going on is a result of many poor performances) ,but the players won’t read it if they’ve any sense.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:17 am

I think one of the features of our relegations from the premier league has been the lack of discord from the fanbase.

No Burnley player in the last ten years can say they felt the crowd get on the teams back.

At some clubs there would be huge demonstrations this season.

I have to say i think the crowd is turning and i expect this to change if we don't improve at home.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 am

Fans have been patient with what have been absolute horrid performances. We’ve know for months where we are heading, which was to be expected, that’s why the fans have stuck with them. We’ve been quite, but it’s hard not to be when you’re getting beat each and every week. Fans will begin to turn now if performances continue like they have with minimum effort. I expect the next set of fixtures that the fans will turn massively. The lack of effort has to be addressed starting today.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:02 am

No dogs abuse in our area (JML)………….just a feeling of resignation when for example the opposition score after 4 minutes, or shaking of heads when with just a few minutes left we’re passing it out slowly at the back………

colner
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:14 am

Take a look back...hmm,where to start with this one! If you are going to get anywhere,you all have to be going in the same direction. Before the season started,therewas far too much that went on early doors from the price hike,membership scheme,loyalty point changes,cobbled together pre season,the what the hell transfer window,even the bloody kit [that am sure Alan Pace said would also be available to purchase in Birmingham] and thats all before the shitshow of trying to buy a pie before kick off against Man City. Once the actual season did kick off,i think most fans would have accepted finishing 4th bottom after the first 8 games,i think the club as a whole have got off fairly lightly

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:18 am

Westleigh wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:11 am
I think the crowd have started getting restless towards the end of games when we’ve been losing but still passing sideways and backwards ,but haven’t heard any abuse at all towards the players or Kompany,I don’t know where the OP thinks he’s seen this ,( abuse on the boards ,and more and more arguing about what’s going on is a result of many poor performances) ,but the players won’t read it if they’ve any sense.
They were getting restless when we were doing that at 1.2 against Fulham... Guess how the move that led to our 2nd goal started? ... Shows how much they know

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:18 am

IWOODLOVETT wrote:

Injuries, illnesses and VAR disputes have kicked in at critical times. Some long-term injuries to players now out for the season.

We are facing a Crystal Palace team this afternoon without arguably their best 3 young players unavailable due to injury Guehi, Eze and Olise. Other senior first team players Will Hughes and Cheick Doucouré also unavailable. All clubs experience injuries throughout the season and it could be argued that Burnley have been one of the least affected clubs. Liverpool, Newcastle and Nottingham Forest have all been hit hard this season.
To try and paper over the obvious cracks by blaming injuries and VAR decisions is just a cop out when the real failings lie with the manager, the owners and a disastrous summer recruitment programme.

Les Fruitbat
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Les Fruitbat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:57 am

Think it’s a lack of confidence now rather than a lack of effort. Crowd have been ok in the main. Just not right loud because we’ve struggled in most games or have dropped a deflating monumental bollock.

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:04 pm

No one is turning against the players - people are rightly turning against the manager that though it was a good idea to put them all into a league they weren’t ready for.

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 pm

Trafford certainly gets a lot of abuse from the terraces - mainly for just holding on to the ball. It’s a tried and tested tactic to draw the opposition attackers to give us a numerical advantage - works nearly every time but he gets abuse for slowing the game down.

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:18 pm
Trafford certainly gets a lot of abuse from the terraces - mainly for just holding on to the ball. It’s a tried and tested tactic to draw the opposition attackers to give us a numerical advantage - works nearly every time but he gets abuse for slowing the game down.
I much prefer Muric tactic of a lightening fast ball to feet just over the half way line .. catch the opposition napping and back pedalling flustered and we create something .. when Trafford has the ball dithering I feel like he is going SHOUT .. is everyone ready yet ?? Ok I kick it now ..
This user liked this post: LincsWoldsClaret

LincsWoldsClaret

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 pm
I much prefer Muric tactic of a lightening fast ball to feet just over the half way line .. catch the opposition napping and back pedalling flustered and we create something .. when Trafford has the ball dithering I feel like he is going SHOUT .. is everyone ready yet ?? Ok I kick it now ..
Yep he certainly likes to take his time - and while it does draw the attacker it also allows the opposition ages to get organised
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:28 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Cast your mind back to the start of the season.

The first six fixtures - Man City (world champs), Villa, Spurs, Forest, ManU, Newcastle.
Robbed by VAR at Forest so 1 point and 15 goals conceded
Also a game behind the rest because Luton’s ground wasn’t good enough. What a difference 3 points at that time would have made.

What a baptism of fire these guys have endured and now an element of fans have turned against them - both as individuals and as a team. Yes they are paid handsomely and yes they are expected to perform, but I bet a few of them wish they were elsewhere because of the abuse from the terraces.

Shame on you - you know who you are. Is it any wonder that our away record is better than our home results ??

Now is the time for full-on support for a special Club - starting with each and every one of the players, the manager and his staff and the Chairman and governing body.

We’re in the last chance saloon, so let’s shoot the piano player(s) and change the tune.

UTC.
Something in this I think. The fixture draw was undoubtedly cruel and that VAR intervention at Forest a hammer blow. It exacerbated some self inflicted problems in the transfer business last summer and the decision to make quite so many changes to the team that played last season, whilst also starting out with an idealistic style of play that was not adapted to the realities we faced. Whilst the fans may not have been overtly hostile, I think a certain fatalism set in during those early weeks and has since been reinforced by a suspicion at the new players who are perceived as having taken the places of some of those that got us here. The relationship between supporters and staff has never recovered and it has not helped our predicament.

There is a bit of a myth about the extent of the team changes on day 1. 6 of the team on the opening night were with us last season and quite likely that would've been 7 had Brownhill not been working back to fitness. Only really Zaroury and Muric who were regulars last season and still with us were overlooked (Benson was mostly an impact sub). Indeed it was a number of those regulars last season who did start this season - Cullen, Al Dakhil, Beyer - who suffered most from the series of hard knocks in the early weeks of the season. A slightly kinder start might have helped them settle immeasurably. It isn't the reason we've struggled, but it is a factor.

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm
Yep he certainly likes to take his time - and while it does draw the attacker it also allows the opposition ages to get organised
Surely that's him carrying out what he's been instructed to do, rather than him liking to take his time.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:38 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:28 pm
Something in this I think. The fixture draw was undoubtedly cruel and that VAR intervention at Forest a hammer blow. It exacerbated some self inflicted problems in the transfer business last summer and the decision to make quite so many changes to the team that played last season, whilst also starting out with an idealistic style of play that was not adapted to the realities we faced. Whilst the fans may not have been overtly hostile, I think a certain fatalism set in during those early weeks and has since been reinforced by a suspicion at the new players who are perceived as having taken the places of some of those that got us here. The relationship between supporters and staff has never recovered and it has not helped our predicament.

There is a bit of a myth about the extent of the team changes on day 1. 6 of the team on the opening night were with us last season and quite likely that would've been 7 had Brownhill not been working back to fitness. Only really Zaroury and Muric who were regulars last season and still with us were overlooked (Benson was mostly an impact sub). Indeed it was a number of those regulars last season who did start this season - Cullen, Al Dakhil, Beyer - who suffered most from the series of hard knocks in the early weeks of the season. A slightly kinder start might have helped them settle immeasurably. It isn't the reason we've struggled, but it is a factor.
Definitely a factor, I agree. But re the team changes against City, was it really a good idea to start the opening game of the season with 5 debutants considering the team had just blitzed the Championship? Even more baffling when you consider that Kompany was quite candid in explaining that it takes players 100 training sessions/meetings before they really start to understand how to play the system. Integrating new signings more gradually and from the bench would surely have led to more cohesion and probably a stronger start to the season.

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:38 pm
Definitely a factor, I agree. But re the team changes against City, was it really a good idea to start the opening game of the season with 5 debutants considering the team had just blitzed the Championship? Even more baffling when you consider that Kompany was quite candid in explaining that it takes players 100 training sessions/meetings before they really start to understand how to play the system. Integrating new signings more gradually and from the bench would surely have led to more cohesion and probably a stronger start to the season.
It was total madness … but remember in August we believed VK knew what he was doing … obviously we all know differently now …

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:57 pm

Abuse?!!!

I'm guessing the OP wasn't around when Frank Casper was manager!

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:01 pm

Best post on here in a while

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 pm

Yep it’s everybody else’s fault, no blame attributed to Kompany for his recruitment and tactics or employing a set piece coach who can’t even sort out throw ins , let alone a decent free kick .

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:38 pm
Probably not and i agree with your general thesis. But if say we'd started with 7, and 4 newcomers I don't think that would be unusual. I actually think the bigger problem was what we appeared to prioritise in our tactical set up and personnel early in the season. The most notable element of our play at Huddersfield on the opening day in the Championship was our pressing and the way we recovered possession. The passing football evolved (to some extent) later. Particularly given the difficult fixtures we had to start, I thought the fact we appeared to prioritise the possession part of the equation over building the most aggressive pressing unit we could manage was the biggest single mistake, not necessarily the sheer turnover of players in the eleven.

LincsWoldsClaret

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:58 pm

HahaYeah wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 pm
Surely that's him carrying out what he's been instructed to do, rather than him liking to take his time.
Of course it is - but not many seem to get that

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:59 pm

I don’t think he’s being asked to dwell on the ball as much as he does at all.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6766 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:02 pm

JR1882 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:04 pm
No one is turning against the players - people are rightly turning against the manager that though it was a good idea to put them all into a league they weren’t ready for.

"Turning against"? WTF is the matter with us?
It's a game, try to remember that and enjoy it.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:06 pm

It’s enraging when he does it late in a game when we are behind and chasing a goal.