pace

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Re: pace

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:07 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 pm
I think (don’t know) that will have been one of Kompanys demands to come. He’s an astute business man.
More astute than the Chairman if that's true.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:08 pm

Cubanforever wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:00 pm
We aren't staying up and the way things are going this season I wouldn't trust VK to repeat last seasons highs, if by chance he did what confidence would you have in another Prem campaign with him ?
Think of a 37 year old manager as a 20 year old player - 2 years later he will be much older and wiser.

Look at Palace - just appointed a manager 12 years older with 4 years Bundesliga under him. Experience matters.

The issue is really do we believe the pundits and managers who say VK will soon be a top coach. Personally I do.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:11 pm

Mansfield claret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:07 pm
Probably the same as I had when we went down with dyche.
A year more experience, players with more experience
Yes more experience but no sign that he's learning and how many players will move....another rebuild, more money, more risk and all to give VK another chance ?

Mansfield claret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Mansfield claret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:26 pm

Cubanforever wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:11 pm
Yes more experience but no sign that he's learning and how many players will move....another rebuild, more money, more risk and all to give VK another chance ?
We cannot say if he will have learnt more by the end of next season at this stage, you'd hope he would
I don't know how many players will move this season other than the out of contract players, I don't think many, bearing in mind the injuries, and contract situations. If any do leave it will be for reasonable money, which can be used to replace, but it's not about giving VK another chance, it's for giving the club the best chance of bouncing back quickly

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Mansfield claret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:26 pm
We cannot say if he will have learnt more by the end of next season at this stage, you'd hope he would
I don't know how many players will move this season other than the out of contract players, I don't think many, bearing in mind the injuries, and contract situations. If any do leave it will be for reasonable money, which can be used to replace, but it's not about giving VK another chance, it's for giving the club the best chance of bouncing back quickly
Agreed but I'm not confident he'd do it again

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:39 pm

Cubanforever wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:37 pm
Agreed but I'm not confident he'd do it again
I am (confident he'd do it again) but tbf that depends very much on keeping the majority of this squad together and that's not a given unfortunately.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:47 pm

For all their failings at this level, most of the current squad are far, far too good for the championship and after last season you (probably) have to feel the same about the manager.
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2014 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:50 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 pm
I think (don’t know) that will have been one of Kompanys demands to come. He’s an astute business man.
VK’s qualification is business theory and models, is no slight to his qualification to point out that it is one thing to demonstrate his understanding in academic essays, and another to be able to translate that knowledge into real world application.

As someone with autism I am familiar with the fact I’m best served having cooling off periods; so that I can look at my work with fresh eyes… something I think VK needs; a proper break from the day to day (in the summer). Every artist has to stand away from his own canvas to see the big picture developing from the detail.

Why I remain behind VK for the longer term.
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:52 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:47 pm
For all their failings at this level, most of the current squad are far, far too good for the championship and after last season you (probably) have to feel the same about the manager.
Which players are too good for the Championship?

We have some good Championship players. It doesn't mean they're too good for it though.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm

Personally I think Kompany definitely is going to be a top coach. I can see him managing huge teams, and that might lead to the belief that if we bear the mistakes now, we reap the rewards of his development as a coach. I used to believe that, truly, but of late I'm thinking of it like this: use a relationship as an analogy.

In a relationship, someone can make a terrible mistake. The relationship might be patched up, but the mistake might cause a lot of harm and lead to the decline of the inured party. And even if the one making the mistake puts right the error, the relationship might still be irrecoverable. The one making the mistake might become a better person for the mistake if they learn and grow from it, but they can never be that better person with the one they injured, only with another.

He's probably going to the top, but I worry about him ever recovering from this period with us specifically. I think he takes these harsh lessons (the damage caused by a high squad turnover/casting aside winners, stubbornness in tactics and personnel, perhaps man-management errors?), I think he takes these lessons to his next team. I don't see how little changes to the training or to the team talks alter this awful trajectory, and I don't see any evidence of a desire to change the approach. I don't see the players fighting for him or for their teammates. They won't save him. The fans are pi$$ed off. Fully paid-up season ticket holders are staying away from the Turf, WTF? They won't save him. I just see the energy and fight ebbing away from this team week by week. You need a win to give you a lift, and it's been a very long time (years) since a Burnley win has looked so distant. So if he does learn from this season (and he will), I don't think it's for us to be the beneficiary, because the rot seems too deep. I think the decline is terminal, and carries over into the championship. I can't see how vitality can come from within at this point.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:07 pm

He won't go to the top.
This user liked this post: Cooclaret

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:41 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm
Personally I think Kompany definitely is going to be a top coach. I can see him managing huge teams, and that might lead to the belief that if we bear the mistakes now, we reap the rewards of his development as a coach. I used to believe that, truly, but of late I'm thinking of it like this: use a relationship as an analogy.

In a relationship, someone can make a terrible mistake. The relationship might be patched up, but the mistake might cause a lot of harm and lead to the decline of the inured party. And even if the one making the mistake puts right the error, the relationship might still be irrecoverable. The one making the mistake might become a better person for the mistake if they learn and grow from it, but they can never be that better person with the one they injured, only with another.

He's probably going to the top, but I worry about him ever recovering from this period with us specifically. I think he takes these harsh lessons (the damage caused by a high squad turnover/casting aside winners, stubbornness in tactics and personnel, perhaps man-management errors?), I think he takes these lessons to his next team. I don't see how little changes to the training or to the team talks alter this awful trajectory, and I don't see any evidence of a desire to change the approach. I don't see the players fighting for him or for their teammates. They won't save him. The fans are pi$$ed off. Fully paid-up season ticket holders are staying away from the Turf, WTF? They won't save him. I just see the energy and fight ebbing away from this team week by week. You need a win to give you a lift, and it's been a very long time (years) since a Burnley win has looked so distant. So if he does learn from this season (and he will), I don't think it's for us to be the beneficiary, because the rot seems too deep. I think the decline is terminal, and carries over into the championship. I can't see how vitality can come from within at this point.
We keep being told that VK will learn from this season,but surely there won’t be a day sometime in May where he realises he’s gone wrong ,you would have thought he would have learnt from day 1 against City,unfortunately he doesn’t seem to have learnt one jot.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:01 am

Spiral wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm

The funny thing is if he wasn’t called Vincent Kompany you wouldn’t even remotely be thinking he’s going to be a top manager.

The reality is, he’s not going to be. Statistically no manager has ever had a season this bad in the premier league and gone on to be successful.

He will likely end up being a pundit in a few years when he realises Man City etc…. Aren’t even remotely interested

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:06 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:01 am
The funny thing is if he wasn’t called Vincent Kompany you wouldn’t even remotely be thinking he’s going to be a top manager.

The reality is, he’s not going to be. Statistically no manager has ever had a season this bad in the premier league and gone on to be successful.

He will likely end up being a pundit in a few years when he realises Man City etc…. Aren’t even remotely interested
His name is the only reason he still has a job
These 2 users liked this post: MeeActon1 Rumpelstiltskin

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:08 am

Can't sleep, utterly ticked off.

It's quite staggering where we find ourselves isn't it?!

VK's persistence with some players is gonna get him sacked. It's such a strange hill to die on. Proper baffling.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:15 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:08 am
Can't sleep, utterly ticked off.

It's quite staggering where we find ourselves isn't it?!

VK's persistence with some players is gonna get him sacked. It's such a strange hill to die on. Proper baffling.
Looks like JJ Watt is starting to lose his cool a bit. Firing back at a fan on Twitter.

The cracks are starting to show. Time is running out for our future superstar manager

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:28 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:38 pm
Who decided it was a good idea to dismantle the existing scouting network in favour of using one associated with the current first team manager?

There aren't actually any words to describe a club who run their business like that.
Spit Roasted ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:47 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:12 pm
The excuse that it was great teams who were beating us just doesn't hold water anymore.

Palace were anything but a great team, and were without three of their best players.

It's beyond embarrassing and Kompany needs to go now!
who's the realistic replacement ?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:48 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:15 am
Looks like JJ Watt is starting to lose his cool a bit. Firing back at a fan on Twitter.

The cracks are starting to show. Time is running out for our future superstar manager
not sure he is losing his cool with the manager, just the dickheads
This user liked this post: HahaYeah

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:49 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:48 am
not sure he is losing his cool with the manager, just the dickheads
Regardless, firing back at fans on social media is clearly not a good sign for the club.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:50 am

I'm assuming this is what you are talking about ?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-24 6.49.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-24 6.49.34 PM.png (79.38 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:52 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:49 am
Regardless, firing back at fans on social media is clearly not a good sign for the club.
Hang on, people moan like f^ck that there is no communication and now when he does communicate 'it's not a good sign' for the club

It truly beggars belief some of the stuff coming out of our supporters at the moment
These 2 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 Holtyclaret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:53 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:50 am
I'm assuming this is what you are talking about ?
That's about as good of a (public) response as you could hope to have from a part owner/investor.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:55 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:53 am
That's about as good of a (public) response as you could hope to have from a part owner/investor.
I think so, credit to him for bothering. It's been met pretty positively other than a few comments from the usual suspects. Like I said, folks moan about lack of communication then moan when there is.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:55 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:52 am
Hang on, people moan like f^ck that there is no communication and now when he does communicate 'it's not a good sign' for the club

It truly beggars belief some of the stuff coming out of our supporters at the moment
You do realise people can have different opinions? I’m sure some supporters love that fact JJ is coming out with this sort of stuff.

I personally think it’s a sign that pressure is growing. This mode of communication on issues isn’t common from the club and to me it personally looks like he’s getting sick of getting pelters online.

Like I said I don’t think it’s a good sign that one of our owners is reacting like that.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:09 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:55 am
You do realise people can have different opinions? I’m sure some supporters love that fact JJ is coming out with this sort of stuff.

I personally think it’s a sign that pressure is growing. This mode of communication on issues isn’t common from the club and to me it personally looks like he’s getting sick of getting pelters online.

Like I said I don’t think it’s a good sign that one of our owners is reacting like that.
to be fair, not sure I made reference specifically to 'your opinion', more the generic fact that people beat the club, it's owners and employees with a stick at every single opportunity regardless of what they do. I've said it on here loads, we could beat Man City 5-0 and some would complain it wasn't 6

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:51 am

Spiral wrote:
I can't think of one instance in the history of football where a club in a death spiral withheld from sacking their manager for the very reason that they 'couldn't afford it'.
There's a first time for everything & they'll be plenty of instances it's just not publicised - club keeps hold of manager because they cannot afford to dismiss or words to that effect. In some cases it'll go on for that long a turning point might arise where improvements happen or it'll pass a certain contractual threshold where paying any said manager off will be in reduced terms, say for example it's enshrined in the contract that if any said club falls within the relegation zone for a specified time period the contract will be in breach & consideration to be reviewed.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:26 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:47 am
who's the realistic replacement ?
Bertie Bee.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:51 am

Any League 2 manager would probably have picked up more points than VK this season. We’d probably still have been relegated but they’d have made a better fist of it.

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:57 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:26 am
Bertie Bee.
Sexist what about Bella?
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:02 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:47 pm
In theory yes but in application doubtful as numerous no shows with little effort applied this season have shown

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:06 pm

bumba wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:06 am
His name is the only reason he still has a job
Last season's 29 wins, 14 draws, only 3 losses, and 101 points, never happened.
These 2 users liked this post: HahaYeah nettiepicot92

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:08 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:06 pm
Last season's 29 wins, 14 draws, only 3 losses, and 101 points, never happened.
Never happened with this squad no
This user liked this post: MeeActon1

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:33 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Who decided it was a good idea to dismantle the existing scouting network in favour of using one associated with the current first team manager?

There aren't actually any words to describe a club who run their business like that.
What existing scouting network? The Dyche/Garlick one? Was that any good, especially with younger players which has been our direction since VK came?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:50 pm

Time and time again players were not recruited
Oli Watkins ,Exeter .Matty Cash Forest.Oli Norwood. Jon Swift Reading. these all showed promise buy we didn't pursue
Personally VK has bought an excellent network and signed good players( Ramsey and Tressor excepted)

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:58 pm

Mmmm, Ramsay and Tresor? Once we have paid the 15 million quid for Tresor at the end of this season, these two will have cost around £30 million. Add Trafford and Amdouni to these, a further 32 million and he has spent £62 million pounds, not Euros on four players. None of them are of the standard required. So how you can praise his network and say he has made good signings is beyond me.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:05 pm

Hipper wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:33 am
What existing scouting network? The Dyche/Garlick one? Was that any good, especially with younger players which has been our direction since VK came?
Allegedly ALK’s hands were all over the transfer dealings in the summer before the 2021/22 season, so maybe we can’t count those.

Going further back and ignoring the kids we signed for the U23s:

2018-19 - Gibson, Hart, Vydra, Crouch
2019-20 - Rodriguez, Pieters, Brownhill
2020-21 - Norris, Stephens

If there was a scouting network of any pedigree prior to ALK, it’d be hard to argue that we were making good use of it. The summer of 2017/18 was arguably the last time under Garlick that we made some difference making signings, but even then it was largely pretty well known names from the PL/Championship scene - Cork, Wood, Taylor, Barton & Bardsley.

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:06 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:58 pm
Mmmm, Ramsay and Tresor? Once we have paid the 15 million quid for Tresor at the end of this season, these two will have cost around £30 million. Add Trafford and Amdouni to these, a further 32 million and he has spent £62 million pounds, not Euros on four players. None of them are of the standard required. So how you can praise his network and say he has made good signings is beyond me.
This seasons signings have been mostly disastrous,but last seasons were exceptional even Bastien was better than Ramsay and Tresor ,and McNally may have turned out better if he hadn’t have gone on loan,Churlinov might have been ok but for his illness and injury but we’ll never know,

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:19 pm

Personally I think he and VK have been more arrogant in their approach, and under estimated the toughness of this league.

I can just imagine these conversations happening:

"THB for 20 million? - We could get him, but I think O'Shea is better value.

Tella for £16 million? - Way overpriced, why don't we get young prospects with greater sell on potential?

Don't worry Alan, I'll turn them into £20 million players and we can sell for a vast profit (including my cut of course)"

Westleigh

Post by Westleigh » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:42 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:19 pm
Personally I think he and VK have been more arrogant in their approach, and under estimated the toughness of this league.

I can just imagine these conversations happening:

"THB for 20 million? - We could get him, but I think O'Shea is better value.

Tella for £16 million? - Way overpriced, why don't we get young prospects with greater sell on potential?

Don't worry Alan, I'll turn them into £20 million players and we can sell for a vast profit (including my cut of course)"
Your very synical 😂😂