Crystal Palace v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Re: Crystal Palace v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by MDWat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:29 pm
Ranks 2nd in our team today on all three measures.
Crikey. The rest must have been even worse than I thought! :-D
This user liked this post: CrosspoolClarets

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:48 pm

Trafford 5 - only made 1 unforced error but it was a key error
Assignon 5
O’Shea 5
Esteve 4
Taylor 4
JBG 5
Berge 6
Brownhill 3
Odobert 5
Andouni 4
Fofana 5

Cullen 6
Vitinho 4

Not doing my normal comments on each player because the theme was across them all, looked beaten from minute 1 and looked like the white flag has gone up. Thoroughly depressing afternoon even before the red card and potentially being stitched up in 3 separate refereeing decisions in the 2nd half just summed up the whole season where everything has been against us and we didn’t help ourselves.

Put on the match thread, and I’ve been a big supporter, that the 3 subs at the end were a farce and arguably lose a lot of fans support for good. The game was crying out for all three from the minute the first goal went in. Vincent looks so shell shocked his head has gone, he should have dropped some players to make a point, but he can bounce back and will, but it is now looking like it will have to be in the division below. Let’s remember, he has had foul luck, with refs and Foster especially, and with not signing players at the 11th hour (Palmer probably the best example). But we are now at the point where they look beaten and seem half the player they were, which was playing well, deserving more, but losing.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:49 pm

Sproggy wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:43 pm
Made to look like a pub team by Crystal Palace.
Burnley PT

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:50 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:29 pm
Ranks 2nd in our team today on all three measures.
I like Berge but I thought he was dreadful today
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2054 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:53 pm

One of the many frustrating things about today was that we were up against a very poor Palace team by their recent standards.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:54 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:32 pm
The fact that crosspoolclarets falls back on these stats over a season to try and convince himself there is hope despite what everyone sees is so quaint. Adorable.
Don’t be a pillok, this is an intelligent thread normally.

I point out the facts when others make false statements. Berge wasn’t good today but those stats are true, he was 2nd in passes (outfield), tackles completed and headers won. That’s why he gets a 6 off me.

Let’s by all means criticise performances, but accurately when it is factual statements not opinions.

I think that was the worst Burnley performance since Dyche at Norwich. That’s an opinion not a fact. I can’t and won’t praise any of them.

MDWat
Been Liked: 879 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:02 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:54 pm

I point out the facts when others make false statements. Berge wasn’t good today but those stats are true, he was 2nd in passes (outfield), tackles completed and headers won. That’s why he gets a 6 off me.

Let’s by all means criticise performances, but accurately when it is factual statements not opinions.

I think that was the worst Burnley performance since Dyche at Norwich. That’s an opinion not a fact. I can’t and won’t praise any of them.
What were the actual stats, Crosspool, out of interest?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:11 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:54 pm

I’ll try not to be a pillock.

But I find you hilarious.

ChristheViking
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by ChristheViking » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:13 pm

Trafford -3 some routine saves but has cost us the game singlehanded.

Assignon -6
O’Shea 5
Estève 5
Taylor 5

JBG 5
Berge 4
Brownhill 3 - the only silver lining is that VK will now be forced to replace him.
Odobert 3

Amdouni 3 - the irony is we had 10 men when he was on. Disgraceful that he keeps getting picked.
Fofana 5

Cullen 6 - should be starting over Brownhill anyway.

Another one thrown away. But he keeps making the same mistakes. He keeps sticking with the same players who let us down every week and wonders why the output is the same.

Because of injury and suspension he’ll now be forced to make changes that should have been made months ago. It’s so worryingly obvious.

We were no worse with 10 than 11. Pass it along the back line. Launch it forward. Lose possession. That’s our identity now. It’s Dyche-ball minus the threat.

Finally a word to the fans who made the journey and whose support was audible world-wide. A credit to the Club.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm

“We’ve had a shot” being a particular highlight today.

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by Casper2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:42 pm

Trafford 3
Assignon 4
O’Shea 5
Estève 4
Taylor 5
Guðmundsson 4
Berge 4
Brownhill 3
Odobert 3
Amdouni 3
Fofana 4

Cullen 5

Rumpelstiltskin
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 2764 times

Post by Rumpelstiltskin » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:50 pm

Kompany 0
The Buck stops here.Time to go

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:17 pm

Trafford 6. Another error in the form of a hospital pass which changed the game
Assignon 5
Esteve 7 MOM. Our best player and someone we can really develop
O Shea 5
Taylor 5. Disappointing with distribution and space he gave his winger
Brownhill 4 -hardly saw him
Berge 6
JBG 5-really struggle to see why he gets a game.Offers no threat and despite his height did not win a single aerial challenge
Odobert 6-one gret runleading to a ruled out goal
Fofana -won nothing in the air but at least at times he looked a threat with some good dribbling
Amdouini 4-a luxury right now we cannot afford.Offered zero
Vitinho-first thing he did was concede a pen. Another one who should not be near the first team
Cullen 7-impressed me with his running. covering and being in a position to take passes and bring in other players. Sad it takes a Brownhill sending off to get him back in the team

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:41 pm

Trafford 4 - just not ready for this level
Assignon 5 - tried
O’Shea 5 - tried
Esteve 4 - mateta had him all game
Taylor 5 - didn’t look match sharp
JBG 5 - ended up covering for Assignon a lot
Berge 5 - sloppy at times but the only one who looked like unlocking them
Brownhill 4 - wasn’t having a great game but took one for the team
Odobert 4 - needs a rest
Andouni 3 - genuinely didn’t miss him after he was subbed and we only had 10 men. Tells you everything.
Fofana 5 - had no service all came but tried

Cullen 5
Vitinho 4

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:33 am

Mercifully did not attend or watch this one. That itself is such a sad indictment of what has happened this season. Full of optimism I went to every home and away game until end of November. I lied to my employer about being unable to go to Germany in early October to ensure I could go to Luton on the Tuesday night instead. I drove to Bournemouth later that month on my own and it pi**ed down with rain all the way there and back. Indeed for at least the last 10 seasons I would be prepared to shift anything to attend our games or at worst watch a stream if I was away (taking much stick from non-BFC mates for doing so).
I honestly couldn’t have given less of a toss today. I learned of Brownhill’s red card from a WhatsApp group whilst finishing a bit of work ffs and I didn’t really care. Come better weather in March I’ll be tempted to play golf on Saturdays instead, even with home games.
Such feelings are simply unthinkable in the context of the last 25+ years.

A bit of feedback from my mate whom I consider an eminently sensible Palace supporter:
- If ever there was a time to have a go at us, was probably today
- But just super passive. Don't even make it hard
- Also didn't recognise half your team again
- Just kids who don’t really get it
- Didn't look like much to get behind

Everybody can see it, even those who have no particular interest in Burnley. And yet nothing has changed since we lost to (a really poor) Palace team at the Turf in November.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Wo Didi ClaretTony

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1039 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:47 am

Again I'll point this out as I have done numerous times, it's not so much errors leading to goals with Trafford ( although they are now stacking up ) but the absolute in game momentum stopping errors which have on multiple occasions killed us, today didn't matter really as we yet again looked as flat as a pancake from the off but the point is still very much valid

fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:51 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:50 pm
I like Berge but I thought he was dreadful today
Completely agree. Probably my favorite signing of the summer and close to player of the season (although I know that’s faint praise), but he was well off it today, in my opinion.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:27 am

Trafford 4 - wtf was he doing for the sending off. Go long or give it Taylor!

Assignon 4 - from what I’ve seen so far, this lad doesn’t really look much of an upgrade on Vitinho in all honesty.
Taylor 4 - really struggled in the first half. They clearly targeted his channel as they knew he’d get no help from in front of him. That said, he was poor on the ball and often just gave it away with a needless long ball.
Esteve 4 - tough afternoon against a physical opponent. Gave the ball away too much though.
O’Shea 4 - why didn’t he attempt to stop the cross for the 2nd goal? This happens often with him. Also, another who plays aimless/needless long balls.

JBG 4 - good dead ball deliveries as usual and gave everything he had but we thought he was finished as a winger 3 years ago and yet here he still is.
Brownhill 3 - as much at fault for the sending off as Trafford. Not enough ability for this level but now playing with no confidence either.
Berge 5 - not great but still our best player (again)
Odobert 3 - should be coming off the bench and getting us excited to see more of him next season. Instead he looks tired and done in. Offers nothing defensively either - which in this shape is criminal.

Amdouni 3 - complete luxury player that seems never to be involved. A passenger…which we can’t afford.
Fofana 4 - their defenders had a very easy afternoon.

Cullen 5 - nice to see him back. Was brave to show for the ball and be involved even though things weren’t going our way.

If you keep picking pretty much the same players and playing the same shape/tactics the you start to expect the same result. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how the manager cannot see that we need an extra midfielder. Playing what is essentially a 442 is suicode at this level unless you’re wide players are more midfielders than wingers (see Aston Villa, for example). The whole Amdouni thing really doesn’t work.

We’ve from this pressing machine with high energy to a scared, lethargic group who seem to have accepted their fate and are going through the motions - it’s a tough watch.

Although the game was done at that point, I was pleased to see Benson for 10-15 mins - and he did well. Retained possession well, jinked inside a few times, gave us more balance and looked like he fit. Who knew, eh?!

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:33 am

Kompany = Tactically inept.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:47 pm

fungus_the_bogeyman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:51 am
Completely agree. Probably my favorite signing of the summer and close to player of the season (although I know that’s faint praise), but he was well off it today, in my opinion.
Worst I’ve seen him

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm

Trafford 3

Assignon 6
O’Shea 6
Estève 6
Taylor 5
Guðmundsson 6
Berge 4
Brownhill 4
Odobert 5
Amdouni 4
Fofana 6

Cullen 6*

I thought we battled really well for 68 minutes, half of which we played with 10 men. So credit to the lads for that. Once the first went in the heads dropped a bit and we just got hit twice more.
How the game would have panned out with 11 on the pitch nobody knows but I'm pretty certain it wouldn't have been the same result.

Kompany in for me, very much so. But i desperately want to see signs of change to address the issues in the team. Anything just to give the fans an idea that we can learn as we go. Trafford, Odobert and Amdouni all need to be taken out of the firing line. Bring in Muric, JBL and Cullen (Cork for Brownhill next week too). Change formation and see what happens.

A defeat and a weak performance at home to Bournemouth next week doesn't bare thinking about.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:39 pm

From tv
Trafford 4 I said about fives minutes before their first goal that it was time for a Trafford mistake and a goal. I was wrong it was a red card on Brownhill. I really, really hope VK “rests” him for his own well-being.
Assignon 5 not great defensively
O’Shea 4 he’ll be okay next season
Esteve 5 good in bits
JBG 6 spent most of the game covering at right back
Brownhill 4 forgot he was playing til he got sent off
Berge 5 why is he morphing into a defender
Amdouni 3 ever decreasing circles
Fofana 5 ran about a bit but no service whatsoever
Odobert 4 a lost soul wandering about a football pitch
Cullen 7 the only one who tried to play football and pass to teammates

I thought Benson showed more footballing idea in his short cameo than all the other starting eleven throughout the whole game. Both Trafford and VK are looking like broken men at the moment, it’s sad to see. For his own sake, please give James Trafford a rest away from the limelight.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:29 pm

Taylor 5