A slight glimmer

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

A slight glimmer

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:59 pm

Obviously that was crap, but one thing i noticed in thr last 10 minutes was how much better we looked building up the play.

There was no coincidence that it was when jack cork came on and we started building up play with a very clear structure of Cork dropping in to the right, Cullen to the left and Berge central. All 3 are good at receiving the ball and it showed as we started to look comfortable in possession for the first time in months.

If we could continue that 3 i think its a really solid base for us to build from abd we can then look to get back to the Kompany principals of playing out from the back instead of this sort of hybrid Dyche system which has left the team looking completely confused

If we do this id expect us to start at least dominating possession and looking like a Kompany team again:

.......................Muric

Assignon...Beyer...Esteve...Taylor

......Cork....Berge...Cullen

Benson..............................JBL

.............Fofana/Jay Rod

Casper2
Been Liked: 223 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Re: A slight glimmer

Post by Casper2 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:00 pm

:lol: :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro MeeActon1

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1149 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:00 pm

But Palace had stopped playing !!

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:01 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:00 pm
But Palace had stopped playing !!
They'd declared!

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:02 pm

We looked better because by then, Palace had completely taken their foot off the gas as the game was won.

There isn't a glimmer of anything.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:02 pm

David gave you a fair crack with that rock didn’t he?
This user liked this post: Bullabill

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm

Changes are essential

I'd go:

Muric
Assignon O'Shea Esteve Taylor
Cork Cullen
Gudmundsson Berge Odobert
Fofana

With Benson getting plenty of minutes

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:05 pm

We are never going to play a midfield three. Kompany is pushing close to 100 games for us and he's never once shown a desire to pack a midfield, even in a league that demands it.

The story of this season have been a story of four attackers on the field who can't get into the game because the team is unbalanced. Attackers everywhere on the pitch, every game, and only SheffU have scored fewer than us.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:05 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:59 pm
Obviously that was crap, but one thing i noticed in thr last 10 minutes was how much better we looked building up the play.
Crystal Palace completed the job. They took their foot of the gas and let us play.

There's no glimmer
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:05 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:02 pm
We looked better because by then, Palace had completely taken their foot off the gas as the game was won.

There isn't a glimmer of anything.
Yep absolutely agree. But we were still crap until then. We suddenly started building up with a clear structure and pattern of play which is something weve lacked all season.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:09 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:05 pm
Crystal Palace completed the job. They took their foot of the gas and let us play.

There's no glimmer of hope
Thats the spirit. Lets all wallow in misery.
Its not about staying up now for me, its about gpong back to a style of play the manager actually believes in.
Its something Gary Neville talks about when hes asked about thr Valencia job. He says he regretted tinkering with his beliefs and constantly changing to try and find a way to get results and in the end confusing the players.

Vk needs to get back to his beliefs, because this at the moment isnt a style he's genuinely commited too. Its a Dyche system without the players to do it.
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:10 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm
Changes are essential

I'd go:

Muric
Cork Cullen
Fofana

I understand only playing 1 of Odobert or Benson. But im not sure why Odobert would be the first pick of those 2 at the moment.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:11 pm

https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... mpany-sack

The only slight glimmer is that Kompany is closer to the exit door

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:11 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:10 pm
I understand only playing 1 of Odobert or Benson. But im not sure why Odobert would be the first pick of those 2 at the moment.
Because I'd introduce Benson from the bench with meaningful game time

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:13 pm

Just heard his interview with Troy Deeney we was building in to the game and fought til 65 minutes, sounded happy with the 'fight' and blamed everyone but himself for the season. The guys sounding deluded

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:13 pm

Goliath wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:09 pm
Its not about staying up now for me, its about gpong back to a style of play the manager actually believes in.
Its something Gary Neville talks about when hes asked about thr Valencia job. He says he regretted tinkering with his beliefs and constantly changing to try and find a way to get results and in the end confusing the players.

Vk needs to get back to his beliefs, because this at the moment isnt a style he's genuinely commited too. Its a Dyche system without the players to do it.
There isn't some force that has compelled Kompany to abandon everything that was successful, he made these choices himself for whatever reason. I don't see any sign of changes being made. If changes were going to be made, they'd have been made back in around December.

This is us now until May.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:16 pm

Goliath wrote:

He won't change

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:13 pm
There isn't some force that has compelled Kompany to abandon everything that was successful, he made these choices himself for whatever reason. I don't see any sign of changes being made. If changes were going to be made, they'd have been made back in around December.

This is us now until May.
Yep ive said in another thread, hes completely lost his way this season and its because he hasnt stuck to his principles. He listened to the noise as mansgers like to say instead of making slight adjustments, he ditched the whole thing. Its time to revert now, the 442 isnt working.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:21 pm

VK should've ‘gone back to his beliefs’ months ago, but he won't. It wasn't about staying up for me since the Luton result.

I'm being realistic and telling you what the rest of us see, not wallowing. Crystal Palace didn't even get out of second gear and thumped us. Crystal Palace!!
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Goliath wrote:

VK should've ‘gone back to his beliefs’ months ago, but he won't. It wasn't about staying up for me since the Luton result.

I'm being realistic and telling you what the rest of us see, not wallowing. Crystal Palace didn't even get out of second gear and thumped us. Crystal Palace!!

BigJay
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by BigJay » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:23 pm

The reality is we're done for this season and there really is very little to be positive about. I'm even less confident than I was at the start of last season about coming straight back up too. No way does this squad get anywhere near the playoffs without more wholesale changes. After all the optimism and positivity of last season, our performances, results, transfers and VKs decision making this season have been catastrophic. All the good work getting us into back into the premier league has been completely screwed up with what seems like managerial incompetence.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:25 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Im aware of this i watched the same game. But i spotted something that discerned a pattern of play at the end with structure and experience. They kept getting the ball into Bensons feet, it resembled bits of past seasons style.

Apologies for not starting another thread about how crap everything is.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 473 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:26 pm

Just feels like someone who after last season thought he could walk on water. To prove it, he did something counter-intuitive and seemingly bonkers, which was to completely dismantle last year’s successful team. This turned out to be …er….bonkers. Then he just got lost in the fog of his own ineptitude. Such a shame as last season he looked the part. Perhaps doing the obvious thing, which was to sign Tella and THB (i don’t think we were ever going to get Maatsen), bring in some strong combative midfielders plus a left back and forge a defensively well organised counter attacking team, was just too mundane for him.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:28 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:03 pm
Changes are essential

I'd go:

Muric
Cork Cullen
Fofana

I pretty much agree but not sure we can even carry a luxury passenger like Odobert in this division. Although by introducing Cork and Cullen this may alleviate his non-existent work off the ball. I’d possibly put Bruun Larsen in instead of him.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:34 pm

There's nothing negative about commenting on what unfolded in front of us. It's what it is.

Before, it was players, unfortunately, sent off and subsequently suspended; then it was missing a player having a breakdown, then it was losing our most exciting player to injury, then it was inexperienced players needing time, then it bloody VAR…

Now it's just crap performances - there's no excuse for crap performances.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:50 pm

Dead cat bounce springs to mind.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:45 am

Spiral wrote:
We are never going to play a midfield three. Kompany is pushing close to 100 games for us and he's never once shown a desire to pack a midfield, even in a league that demands it.

The story of this season have been a story of four attackers on the field who can't get into the game because the team is unbalanced. Attackers everywhere on the pitch, every game, and only SheffU have scored fewer than us.
We used to play a midfield 3 most of last season of Brownhill, Cullen and Cork/Gudmundson. I can't understand why he has changed it this season,especially in a far tougher league. Probably to fit in Amdouni in to be a creative 10. Sadly he is offering almost nothing offensively and even less defensively.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 622 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:50 am

Spiral wrote:

For the majority of last season we played a 3 of Cullen, cork and brownhill. It was only in Feb when the league was practically won where he took cork out and went more attacking.

I can’t understand why in a much harder league we decided to go more attacking from minute one with only 2 in midfield