Dissociation

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Dissociation

Post by DanH90 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I still care massively about this club. I look forward to going on the turf, even this season when performances have been appalling, it’s more for the camaraderie and chance to break the monotony of working life, but like many, I don’t feel anger about our current situation, more apathy and resignation. When arsenal fans were singing ‘who put the ball in the Burnley net’ walking down Harry Potts Way after the match last week, there was no reaction from Burnley fans, when usually there would be some giving it back. Yesterday I felt no desire to watch the match, when usually I’d be desperately looking for a stream, I plumped for going out for a coffee with a mate and our kids.

Can anyone put their finger on the cause of this feeling? Is it the style of play? Is it the board? Is it the lack of connection with the current team? I understand a fan base can o my get excited when there is something to get excited about, but there isn’t even anger; there is nothing. Just interested to hear peoples thoughts on this?
This user liked this post: bfcjg

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Re: Dissociation

Post by northeastclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:15 pm

IMO I think it’s a coping mechanism. When you care about something so much , but continued to get let down, it’s a better option than being optimistic and dealing with the inevitable let down and disappointment each week.

colner
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by colner » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:16 pm

know how you feel as i am in the same camp. Its got to the whats the point stage for me. This season has been as terrible as it was brilliant last season,if/when we go down and try and bust a gut to get back up,then what,rinse and repeat

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 770 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:22 pm

Part of it is that you know no matter how bad we are, and each week seems to bring a new low at the moment, that nothing whatsoever will change.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5563 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Too many people are overthinking it. Watching football is a hobby, something to do in your spare time for enjoyment. If it becomes unenjoyable, it's only natural that you think twice about doing it.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Ptangyangkipperbang
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Ptangyangkipperbang » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:38 pm

I really don't know if I can be bothered going on next week I'm sat in a crap stand with a poor view 1 O'clock Sunday KO against an unattractive side with possibly no atmosphere and in my view and impending nil scoreline defeat

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:41 pm

Ptangyangkipperbang wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:38 pm
I really don't know if I can be bothered going on next week I'm sat in a crap stand with a poor view 1 O'clock Sunday KO against an unattractive side with possibly no atmosphere and in my view and impending nil scoreline defeat
They will pick us off easy on the counter, 0-2 I fear.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:50 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 pm
Too many people are overthinking it. Watching football is a hobby, something to do in your spare time for enjoyment. If it becomes unenjoyable, it's only natural that you think twice about doing it.
But they spend more time moaning about it on here than if they actually went on the game
I Carnt see a time I wouldn't go, but each to their own
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:59 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:50 pm
But they spend more time moaning about it on here than if they actually went on the game
Some people get a lot of enjoyment out of moaning unfortunately. Some of the most active on here currently I can’t say I saw much from them last year (when everything was rosey). It’s just how some people are and whilst I do feel a bit sorry for them, if they get pleasure from it then so be it. As a consequence the board becomes a very unpleasant place for everyone else, to the point where anyone with anything positive to say is hounded out.

Negativity breeds negativity. I know of some glass half full posters that have abandoned the board of late because of how many there are revelling in our failures.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:30 pm
As someone once said
" Some people think that Football is a matter of life and death, its much, much more important than that "

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:04 pm

Aclaret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:02 pm
As someone once said
" Some people think that Football is a matter of life and death, its much, much more important than that "
Mr Shankly.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:06 pm

I’m fed up with feeling fed up after every game and it has made the think about whether to bother watching. The last year has been tough personally with all of our parents being seriously ill at various points (mother in law at the moment) and has made me realise that it’s only football and the day out with my Dad at a game is incredibly special to me. We’ve had some cracking days out over the last 30 odd years.

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:11 pm

Similar mind set to yourself. been a ST holder on and off since the 70's. Supported in the lower leagues and actually enjoyed the old 4th Division days. Now passing on my Burnley loyalty to my son but this season has been hard . He has held a season ticket for 11 years and even he thinks it's the worst he has seen. Last two home games left at half time, No problem with being beat but watching your team get mullered every week is cruelty . Football is an entertainment sport you expect to win lose draw not lose every game. In the past some games even though we have been beaten i have come off proud after giving it a good go. Far from being a glory supporter I just want normal football with excitement and something to cheer about. I used to look forward to match day now its can I even be bothered going on ! I used to be in a foul mood when we were beaten, looking at the league tables what if's, next games chances etc . Now I don't even bother its inevitable we will get beat>
If something is broken or not working you change something but all I have seen is the same players playing the same dire football. Personally can't wait for the season to end, I think Pace knows he needs something new to keep the fan base next season . They will be plenty of empty seats next seasons if this is what is on offer.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3349 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:12 pm

I've become immune to feeling rubbish about our performances and results and I fully expect to lose every week and the team duly oblige and we do lose every week and it's got to the point where I'm totally philosophical about it and it's almost becoming amusing, especially wondering just how we'll conspire to gift the opposition a comedy goal and again we never fail to deliver!

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:13 pm

I understand the sentiments of the OP. In close on fifty years of following/watching the Clarets I don't think there's one season (even inc the mid 80's) where we have been so wide of the mark that we've been ten points adrift with a third of the season to go.
I no longer watch MOTD. Little enjoyment in seeing your team hammered every game.
We can only hope for a close season where Chairman/Board dust themselves off/get a balanced and intelligent grip of the situation and we come back with a balanced and competitive team that is kitted out for the grinding nature of the Championship

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 pm

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:13 pm
I understand the sentiments of the OP. In close on fifty years of following/watching the Clarets I don't think there's one season (even inc the mid 80's) where we have been so wide of the mark that we've been ten points adrift with a third of the season to go.
I no longer watch MOTD. Little enjoyment in seeing your team hammered every game.
We can only hope for a close season where Chairman/Board dust themselves off/get a balanced and intelligent grip of the situation and we come back with a balanced and competitive team that is kitted out for the grinding nature of the Championship
I think you're remembering the mid 80s a bit different than I do to be honest.... 19th in Premier league or bottom of 4th division.... Let me think!!!
This user liked this post: nettiepicot92

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:23 pm

DanH90 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm
Don’t get me wrong, I still care massively about this club. I look forward to going on the turf, even this season when performances have been appalling, it’s more for the camaraderie and chance to break the monotony of working life, but like many, I don’t feel anger about our current situation, more apathy and resignation. When arsenal fans were singing ‘who put the ball in the Burnley net’ walking down Harry Potts Way after the match last week, there was no reaction from Burnley fans, when usually there would be some giving it back. Yesterday I felt no desire to watch the match, when usually I’d be desperately looking for a stream, I plumped for going out for a coffee with a mate and our kids.

Can anyone put their finger on the cause of this feeling? Is it the style of play? Is it the board? Is it the lack of connection with the current team? I understand a fan base can o my get excited when there is something to get excited about, but there isn’t even anger; there is nothing. Just interested to hear peoples thoughts on this?
It’s really simple; it’s because we’re losing and that isn’t enjoyable.

If the style, board and team were all the same but we were winning every week you’d have sacked off the coffee and mate to watch the match. Likewise, if are all the same next season and we’re winning every week everyone will feel ‘connected’ again.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:26 pm

As a mate of mine said, “they don’t come and see me when I’m sick”.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:42 pm

Agree with the OP , it just doesn't feel like a Burnley team, no effort or commitment players playing to be in a shop window to move on and it is showing. Owners who are altering our club beyond recognition ok some changes needed doing but to much to soon,rip of prices etc the list is endless. It's just not the same anymore ,losing is part of football but what we are witnessing is truly dire and if it wasn't for meeting up for pre and post match beers I could just pack it in or pick my games. Watching Padiham is more enjoyable.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:53 pm

I wonder what the season ticket take up will be next season. I hope it remains at the current level but I have my doubts.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:02 pm

Good, a clear out of those only interested in winning or being in the damned PL won't do the club any harm.
This user liked this post: Nori1958

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:13 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:02 pm
Good, a clear out of those only interested in winning or being in the damned PL won't do the club any harm.
What about those who are happy to leave the premier league behind?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:49 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:50 pm
But I think this is the problem; a lot of people probably never thought they would feel the way they currently do about Burnley. Supporters are just describing their feelings, just because they are different to yours doesn’t make them any less valid.
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg BleedingClaret Stayingup

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:04 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:02 pm
True. You either support the club or you don't (fully).
Have to say though it's been an endurance test going on Turf Moor this season.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm

I felt this to some degree last season
Some will find that hard to believe
Others will immediately know what I mean
I felt that the whole American ownership & VK
Management team style
Style of player signed (that was done on steroids this year)
Football style
Was all a bit boring and self indulgent

That said I’ve not missed a game this year home or away

I’m absolutely miserable and to sum up how much I’m trying not to be angry, up to about 5 games ago I clapped us off regardless of the performance, I’ve never booed and never left early, I’ve no issue with those that do and have, you pay your money etc etc, but the last 3 or 4 games I’ve stayed silent after full time, up to yesterday, when I had to walk off the split second the whistle went cos I couldn’t cope with the vitriol that I knew may follow towards a young squad and manager.

But it’s amateurish at best
Self indulgent definitely
And with no regard to the football club and fans
It’s left common sense way behind and has moved on to idiocy

I said yesterday it’s the most tactically inept season I’ve witnessed and I’m 57 so if you do the maths I've seen some bad times for us, probably only the John Bond eta with signing old men that he had loyalty to rather than this kindergarten transfer policy with no loyalty to last years players that succeeded for VK, comes close in getting my blood boiling.

John Bond had some bad luck with Reaves the most obvious example VK is bringing this mainly onto himself

As for the financing I’m wondering where my town football club will be in 5 years

Miserable yes

Concerned Football wise yes

Disassociated somewhat
mainly cos of the style of everything from top to bottom in the club at present

Angry soon to be
when I factor in the money seemingly squandered and what’s it secured on and what it may mean for the future of Burnley Football Club

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:36 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:23 pm
It’s really simple; it’s because we’re losing and that isn’t enjoyable.

If the style, board and team were all the same but we were winning every week you’d have sacked off the coffee and mate to watch the match. Likewise, if are all the same next season and we’re winning every week everyone will feel ‘connected’ again.
Spot on. These threads wallowing in self pity always appear during relegation seasons. So boring.

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:36 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:36 pm
Spot on. These threads wallowing in self pity always appear during relegation seasons. So boring.
No self pity at all. I can’t self-pity the oerformances because I’m not a member of the squad.

I’ve seen us in relegation battles/bad spells before. The 19 game run under Cotterill, I was angry. When Coyle left for Bolton, angry, the dross served up under Laws, angry. But no anger this season, just apathy. It’s not because I’m turned off, I look forward to every home game regardless of result. It just feels different this season.

Stproc
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Stproc » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:38 pm

I still support the club but have decided I will not attend matches with VAR anymore. So I’ll be there next season when hopefully the Championship will not use the delinquent system. I’m just not prepared to sit in my seat for 4 minutes while some clueless individual finds a freeze frame to suit their desired outcome.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:49 pm

Stproc wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:38 pm
I still support the club but have decided I will not attend matches with VAR anymore. So I’ll be there next season when hopefully the Championship will not use the delinquent system. I’m just not prepared to sit in my seat for 4 minutes while some clueless individual finds a freeze frame to suit their desired outcome.
Can’t argue with that. I was all up for the concept of VAR and defended it for a little while but it’s sheet and needs scrapping.
This user liked this post: Stproc

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:07 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 pm
I think you're remembering the mid 80s a bit different than I do to be honest.... 19th in Premier league or bottom of 4th division.... Let me think!!!
Or maybe read it again NORI,

the point I'm clearly making is that IRRESPECTIVE of which ever league we've been in, during which ever season you care to think of, we've never been so very many points adrift with a third of the season to go.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:43 pm

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:07 pm
Or maybe read it again NORI,

the point I'm clearly making is that IRRESPECTIVE of which ever league we've been in, during which ever season you care to think of, we've never been so very many points adrift with a third of the season to go.
I've read it again, and we're not 10 points adrift

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11060 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 pm

I don't think anyone can actually believe what they have seen this season, it's more laughable than anger for me

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:17 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm
I felt this to some degree last season
Some will find that hard to believe
Others will immediately know what I mean
I felt that the whole American ownership & VK
Management team style
Style of player signed (that was done on steroids this year)
Football style
Was all a bit boring and self indulgent

That said I’ve not missed a game this year home or away

I’m absolutely miserable and to sum up how much I’m trying not to be angry, up to about 5 games ago I clapped us off regardless of the performance, I’ve never booed and never left early, I’ve no issue with those that do and have, you pay your money etc etc, but the last 3 or 4 games I’ve stayed silent after full time, up to yesterday, when I had to walk off the split second the whistle went cos I couldn’t cope with the vitriol that I knew may follow towards a young squad and manager.

But it’s amateurish at best
Self indulgent definitely
And with no regard to the football club and fans
It’s left common sense way behind and has moved on to idiocy

I said yesterday it’s the most tactically inept season I’ve witnessed and I’m 57 so if you do the maths I've seen some bad times for us, probably only the John Bond eta with signing old men that he had loyalty to rather than this kindergarten transfer policy with no loyalty to last years players that succeeded for VK, comes close in getting my blood boiling.

John Bond had some bad luck with Reaves the most obvious example VK is bringing this mainly onto himself

As for the financing I’m wondering where my town football club will be in 5 years

Miserable yes

Concerned Football wise yes

Disassociated somewhat
mainly cos of the style of everything from top to bottom in the club at present

Angry soon to be
when I factor in the money seemingly squandered and what’s it secured on and what it may mean for the future of Burnley Football Club
Excellent post,it’s good when posters who seem to be more level headed than some of us
Fair weather fans
Fans who have an agenda
Fans who can’t wait for us to lose
Fans who can’t wait to call Trafford
Fans who don’t like Kompany
Fans who don’t like the Americans
come on here and voice concerns.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret