Selections on Sunday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: Selections on Sunday

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:14 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:12 pm
I’d expect starts for Trafford and Amdouni. Their starting places were welll earned for the last match. Probably swap the absent Brownhill for Tresor to beef us up a bit. If it’s not working keep doing the same thing.
I’m sure a forward line of Amdouni and Tresor will get Bournemouth quaking in their boots. That’s if sleepy Joe makes it to the stadium.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:53 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 pm
Only way Trafford is not playing is if he is injured. VK is far too stubborn to change now. Pathetic really.

The fans have to really start showing displeasure to let him know he’s getting it wrong I would imagine.
Need the cfs to start a muric chant, send it round the stadium and keep it going for 90 mins

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:53 pm
Need the cfs to start a muric chant, send it round the stadium and keep it going for 90 mins
I’d love to see the Trafford supporters react to that ,it won’t happen ,I think Trafford is the absolute pits ,but it doesn’t matter how bad he is I wouldn’t destroy him on the pitch ,but if I was anywhere near VK I’d be bending his ear to play Muric.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1151 times
Has Liked: 1446 times

Post by Pearcey » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 pm

Muric
Assignon O’Shea Esteve Taylor
Cork Cullen
Benson Berge JBL
Fofana

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Westleigh wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:00 pm
I’d love to see the Trafford supporters react to that ,it won’t happen ,I think Trafford is the absolute pits ,but it doesn’t matter how bad he is I wouldn’t destroy him on the pitch ,but if I was anywhere near VK I’d be bending his ear to play Muric.
We should all agree that James is a more than adequate Championship goalie, possibly the best in that league. The absolute pits is ridiculous really.

The problem is the step up and the physicality, which will only come in time. Plus the speed of thought in passing it out but loads suffer from that including Pope.

Joe14
Been Liked: 252 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:13 pm

Trafford should have been rested last year.

Put Muric back in and see the difference.

It’s not rocket science.
These 2 users liked this post: alwaysaclaret mybloodisclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:57 pm

Squad numbers into a hat and let’s see what come out. Odds on it’d still be the same old line up!

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:03 am

You know that Trafford and Amdouni is going to play regardless.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 am

Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:08 pm
Only way Trafford is not playing is if he is injured. VK is far too stubborn to change now. Pathetic really.

The fans have to really start showing displeasure to let him know he’s getting it wrong I would imagine.
Agree with your first point but Trafford could be here a while, nobody else would want him, and if it became obvious that the abuse of VK was directly related to Trafford he might never recover.

Westleigh
Been Liked: 241 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Westleigh » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:05 am

DCWat wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:57 pm
Squad numbers into a hat and let’s see what come out. Odds on it’d still be the same old line up!
Think if they put the names in a hat there maybe one or two with superglue on .

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:08 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:11 pm
We should all agree that James is a more than adequate Championship goalie, possibly the best in that league. The absolute pits is ridiculous really.

The problem is the step up and the physicality, which will only come in time. Plus the speed of thought in passing it out but loads suffer from that including Pope.
He isn’t a more than adequate Championship goalie, or possibly the best in that league. There are some good goalkeepers in that division and up until this season Trafford had never played above League 1. You mentioned the physicality which he currently hasn’t got. Have you watched many Championship matches? Physicality is an important pre requisite for goalkeepers in this division as we saw when Muric as big as he is got done over in several games last season.

Just face it, he got a lot of acclaim for playing in that England U-21 Squad and his stock rose in the media. Many England U-21 players do not end up as top level footballers and sadly at this moment Trafford is nowhere near.
If Kompany is still in charge next season and persists with playing James Trafford, then Trafford will have a tricky time again.
He isn’t good enough right now. He obviously isn’t being coached properly and Vincent Kompany is setting the lad back years with his stubbornness, futile project or whatever we want to call it.
These 2 users liked this post: IanMcL Rick_Muller

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:27 am

He is not yet good enough to handle men's football.
This user liked this post: Jamesy

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 2921 times

Post by burnleymik » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am

Let's be honest, I will be amazed if the team for Sunday isn't exactly the same, apart from Cullen for Brownhill, the forced change, as long as there have been no fresh injuries.

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
That’s your idea of supporting your team?

ecc
Been Liked: 1441 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:25 am

Test

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 am

burnleymik wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:14 am
Let's be honest, I will be amazed if the team for Sunday isn't exactly the same, apart from Cullen for Brownhill, the forced change, as long as there have been no fresh injuries.
It will be as you predict. There will be no amazement from you or anyone else. Just hopeless despondency from all of the home supporters in the ground and others watching from home.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Not having a go at you AAC, but Hmmm not sure that sort of thing is appropriate……….whether he’s been crap or not it’s a tough gig in that team, and no young lad should have to face a torrent of abuse from the stands directly or indirectly.

I bet he himself cant wait for the summer to come and he can reset …….the shambles on that pitch at the moment is at VK,s door…….

Upwards and onwards! (Or should I say onwards and downwards for now!)
This user liked this post: Hapag Lloyd

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 am

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 am
Not having a go at you AAC, but Hmmm not sure that sort of thing is appropriate……….whether he’s been crap or not it’s a tough gig in that team, and no young lad should have to face a torrent of abuse from the stands directly or indirectly.

I bet he himself cant wait for the summer to come and he can reset …….the shambles on that pitch at the moment is at VK,s door…….

Agreed, that certainly wouldn’t be appropriate. We as a supporter base should be better than that.
I know the intention is to direct it towards the stubborn one, but the young lad would be affected badly from it and would probably jolt his fragile confidence even more.
You are correct, this shambles lies firmly at Kompany’s door and this is why we are frustrated or now just have a general apathy about it. This bloke in the space of less than half a year has made watching the club we love a very underwhelming and frustrating experience.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:11 am

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:35 am

Yeah, a bit of the mark maybe, and was posted a little bit in jest, but does make you feel like it, there has to be something to force vk's hand, or if not make the board sit up and take notice that Trafford is simply way off the standard this league requires right now. And agree, can't lay the blame with Trafford, as I've said in previous posts, all on vk this one.
These 2 users liked this post: Jamesy Jimmymaccer

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:25 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:40 am
Agree with your first point but Trafford could be here a while, nobody else would want him, and if it became obvious that the abuse of VK was directly related to Trafford he might never recover.
He needs a loan somewhere else but VK ‘s stubbornness is killing him. Just play Muric it’s easier. Seems VK is just trying to prove a point now and failing quite badly really. If we had a strong chairman I’m sure this would have ended months ago. Seems no one can upset his ego or challenge him.

This isn’t VK’s club its our club!

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:27 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
They will have to do something as in VK’s head he’s doing everything right. The kids confidence is getting pummelled every week.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm

Traffords shot stopping is fine. Now he needs to learn how to control his 6 yard box and how to distribute the ball. He should have spent at least this season in The Championship continuing his apprenticeship He was/is not ready for the PL. one day he will be a top class keeper. That day is not today. He has been a major reason for our relegation and that is 100% the fault of VK

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:52 pm

I don't get this fascination with team selection. Cork cannot be considered match-fit and, in any case, consistently receives yellow cards. Muric would struggle with the way we are set up for corners and free kicks.
The issue is the manager, who sets the tactics and picks a team and motivates them to be competitive.
Currently, VK isn't doing that, and I think the team from last year would struggle in the PL if they were asked to play the way the current team is playing.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:53 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:47 pm
Traffords shot stopping is fine. Now he needs to learn how to control his 6 yard box and how to distribute the ball. He should have spent at least this season in The Championship continuing his apprenticeship He was/is not ready for the PL. one day he will be a top class keeper. That day is not today. He has been a major reason for our relegation and that is 100% the fault of VK
Hand on heart is this famed shot stopping really any better than any keeper in the top two divisions?

I think he really struggles in positioning, timing and making himself big and concedes a few in doing so.

First goal against Palace on Saturday you'd have expected most keepers worth their salt to at least get a glove on it.

The number of parries vs balls held onto is also a bit of a worry for me. I just can't see it with him - I know he's young and especially young for a GK but he's played a ton of football, it's not like he's inexperienced.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:56 pm

I keep hearing people say he will be a top class keeper? This is just wild guesswork.
Currently he isn’t strong enough to do the basics. He is an excellent shot stopper I will agree with this. However, only time will tell if he becomes a top keeper. And that will be with the right people developing him, which appears not to be the case at present.

Claretnick
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:03 pm

In regards to team.selection all I want on Sunday is that VK picks 11 players who are willing to give at least 100% effort and leave everything on the pitch; win, lose or draw.
I think VK would be surprised at the positive crowd reaction to seeing Muric in goal, we need a lift and some good vibe to take into our next season in the Championship....
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik alwaysaclaret

The Shire Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by The Shire Claret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:40 pm

11 players that can take a good throw in

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:43 pm

Hopefully no Taylor for me, that back pass in the first few seconds, horrifying start which set the tone for the game. What crossed his mind to volley it back at head height, shocking.

LincsWoldsClaret

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:47 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:53 pm
Hand on heart is this famed shot stopping really any better than any keeper in the top two divisions?

Yes.
Obviously
Faced more shots than any other keeper in the PL bar two - despite which he has a healthy percentage of shots saved
Looking at expected goals saved again he’s good - for example he’s ahead of Alison and Pickford
Add to this he has an ever changing accident prone defence in front of him and he’s doing remarkably well

Yes he needs a rest but he should get out support until VK makes a change

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:52 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:47 pm
Yes.
Obviously
Faced more shots than any other keeper in the PL bar two - despite which he has a healthy percentage of shots saved
Looking at expected goals saved again he’s good - for example he’s ahead of Alison and Pickford
Add to this he has an ever changing accident prone defence in front of him and he’s doing remarkably well

Normally the more shots you face btw you tend to have a higher save %.

Im just going off the eye test.

I think he's had some good games but still think his overall game makes us far worse; one of the reasons (just like when Popey was in net for us) that we faced so many more shots is that it goes straight back to them, which is a mix of tactics yes and keepers distribution ability.

Least with Popey Dyche played the %s and had the ball going back to them in positions where teams couldn't instantly hurt us - which is another important difference.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:56 pm

Edited. I duplicated my post.
Last edited by Jamesy on Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:57 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:47 pm
Yes.
Obviously

Sorry but you can manipulate stats to reinforce your argument. Simply by picking out the good ones.
What are his stats like on conceding from corners? Furthermore I would suggest he has faced more shots than he should have because of his distribution and not commanding his area.
Regarding getting our support. I support him when he is playing because he is pulling on the Burnley FC shirt. I take my seat at each game willing him to do well. I would never boo or shout anything derogatory towards him. But he does often let me down.
Again Trafford is the central theme in this thread when it shouldn’t be the case. It should be the inept Manager who keeps putting him in the firing line.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:00 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Again Trafford is the central theme in this thread when it shouldn’t be the case. It should be the inept Manager who keeps putting him in the firing line.
Or, the inept attackers with the team scoring less than a goal a game. Concede one goal and the likelihood is we ain’t going to win the game.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:10 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:00 pm
Or, the inept attackers with the team scoring less than a goal a game. Concede one goal and the likelihood is we ain’t going to win the game.
So why does our manager keep playing a keeper that doesn't have the footballing ability necessary for our supposed play style and a forward that can't play himself into games and tends to snatch at chances?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:24 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:00 pm
I would rephrase that to give a soft goal away or create a situation where a team mate gets sent off doesn’t give us much chance to win a game either.
My gripe is with the manager. He bought them all, he picks the team and decides how we are going to play.
Hopeless.

Slurpy
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Slurpy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm

Not all fit but only team that will give us a chance of putting some respect on the board.

Muric
Assignon Beyer Esteve Taylor
Cork
JBG Berge
Fofana Foster. Odobert

LincsWoldsClaret

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:38 pm

In some ways VK is pretty fortunate to have Trafford - he takes a lot of the flack that would otherwise be aimed at the manager. The tide seems to be turning though - especially with the club hierarchy indicating that VK retains their confidence. A sure indicator that the disquiet from the fans is making itself heard.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:47 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:38 pm
In some ways VK is pretty fortunate to have Trafford - he takes a lot of the flack that would otherwise be aimed at the manager. The tide seems to be turning though - especially with the club hierarchy indicating that VK retains their confidence. A sure indicator that the disquiet from the fans is making itself heard.
He isn’t taking a lot of flak at the matches though. And I don’t call criticising him on here flak. As it’s a messageboard and half of the players and staff probably aren’t @rsed about we think anyway.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:25 pm

Not having a go at Trafford, as I feel sorry for him having to endure every league game this season and take huge criticism. Some of which have been down to him, others through mistakes from our defenders and midfielders

However if the other 19 PL managers were to rank the main GK in every PL team, then JT would be comfortably 20th. Of course any other PL manager whose GK had played 3-4 bad games in a row, would have no hesitation in dropping their keeper at the earliest opportunity

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:47 pm
He isn’t taking a lot of flak at the matches though. And I don’t call criticising him on here flak. As it’s a messageboard and half of the players and staff probably aren’t @rsed about we think anyway.
Given some of the players are deleting negative comments of there Instagram posts I would suggest they are bothered

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:33 pm

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am
That’s your idea of supporting your team?
I've already posted again about that matter if you have a look. I've supported my team for almost 60 years and will continue to do so, although this manager atm is not making things easy in that respect.

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:29 pm
Given some of the players are deleting negative comments of there Instagram posts I would suggest they are bothered
They should be so tired from training hard to improve themselves that they dont have time to post shite or check their own unecessary profiles online.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:36 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:25 pm
He needs a loan somewhere else but VK ‘s stubbornness is killing him. Just play Muric it’s easier. Seems VK is just trying to prove a point now and failing quite badly really. If we had a strong chairman I’m sure this would have ended months ago. Seems no one can upset his ego or challenge him.

This isn’t VK’s club its our club!
Shame someone hasn't locked him in a room and got that point through to him.
This user liked this post: Superjohnnyfrancis

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:17 pm

Just show some fight and some attacking intent of some sort. Give the fans something to at least get behind.

Muric
Assignon O’Shea Esteve/Beyer Taylor
Berge Cullen Cork/Massengo
Fofana Jay Odobert

Beyer if fit.
Cork or Massengo either or. Massengo may show more enthusiasm but Jack has the nouse.

Fofana in the Tella role .

Odobert a little more freedom

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:17 pm

It’s amazing how many people have bought into the narrative that Trafford is going to be this great all round keeper in a couple of years. Brian Jensen was a good shot stopper as was Chris Pearce on his day.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 pm

I don’t think VK liked it when Muric gave that waitress a 16k tip … I can’t think of any other reason he isn’t starting

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:07 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:36 pm
Shame someone hasn't locked him in a room and got that point through to him.
How well do you think the chairman interfering with team selection would go down with the fanbase?

Edit - @ sjf

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:04 pm

Stevie Morgan wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:07 pm
How well do you think the chairman interfering with team selection would go down with the fanbase?

Edit - @ sjf
I wouldn’t say interfering how’s about putting forward an alternative point of view.

I don’t think Garlick let Dyche buy every 35 year old he wanted, do you?

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:06 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:17 pm
It’s amazing how many people have bought into the narrative that Trafford is going to be this great all round keeper in a couple of years. Brian Jensen was a good shot stopper as was Chris Pearce on his day.
Not aware of the narrative about the great all round keeper that UTC posters have bought into.

Perhaps Trafford would be better in a team who have players in front of him who have the physicality to deal with corners , would Trafford be able to play in City’s, Newcastle’s, Liverpool’s or Arsenal’s team? Maybe he could , we don’t currently know, with better defenders in front of him maybe his obvious inability and decision making at coming for crosses wouldn’t be as exposed. Then again his distribution is questionable but so is Pope’s.

Anyway, my Bolton supporting Sainsbury’s delivery driver said he was unproven at League 1 level.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:08 am
He isn’t a more than adequate Championship goalie, or possibly the best in that league. There are some good goalkeepers in that division and up until this season Trafford had never played above League 1. You mentioned the physicality which he currently hasn’t got. Have you watched many Championship matches? Physicality is an important pre requisite for goalkeepers in this division as we saw when Muric as big as he is got done over in several games last season.

Just face it, he got a lot of acclaim for playing in that England U-21 Squad and his stock rose in the media. Many England U-21 players do not end up as top level footballers and sadly at this moment Trafford is nowhere near.
If Kompany is still in charge next season and persists with playing James Trafford, then Trafford will have a tricky time again.
He isn’t good enough right now. He obviously isn’t being coached properly and Vincent Kompany is setting the lad back years with his stubbornness, futile project or whatever we want to call it.
Actually by contrast most England U21 goalies DO make it. From those with plenty of caps the exceptions (Gunn, Fielding, Bursik) are dwarfed in number by Hart, Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Heaton etc. it is normally a really good indication of a future career.

An interesting list, because it makes me ponder how Ramsdale would have done in our team. Dodgy aerially, not the tallest, not the best distribution hence why Raya has replaced him, but clearly a good keeper and capable in the Premier League. The problem is the way Trafford is told to distribute, and that the defenders in front of him are less capable aerially than Arsenal have.

On other points, the Championship is way, way, way less physical than the Premier League. The blocking tactics are less sophisticated, the players aren’t giants. Listen to that interview with Jay on the Ben Foster podcast when he describes the difference.

Trafford will be a very good keeper in that league. If the fans don’t hound him out it will be for us.