Assisted dying

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Re: Assisted dying

Post by Venkys4eva » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:29 am
Textbook example of how to refute allocations of being a nutjob
Thank you, people like you have to stoop to insults when they are wrong :mrgreen: its the facebook/twitter mentality :mrgreen:

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:32 am

Venkys4eva wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31 am
Thank you, people like you have to stoop to insults when they are wrong :mrgreen: its the facebook/twitter mentality :mrgreen:
I'm insulting you specifically because you think none of us have gender and people are identifying as carrots

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 357 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:48 am

It should never be an option for someone who is depressed.

It should be an option for anyone who doesn't want to die in agony.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:35 am

Rather be dead than in a care home having seen family go down that route.

Sign me up
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:00 pm

I would say it depends on the individual person and their competence to make the decision.
I don't think it should be granted to anybody who isn't suffering great pain, being bored is no reason to top yourself, or even generally feeling sorry for yourself.

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:12 pm

I personally don’t like situations where governments who I have no faith in at all are making decisions based on factors about my family and in a way micro managing everything … I’m fairly sure the likes of Boris Johnson when he was in power with his rules for the masses and rules for himself and his cronies would do what’s best for his family and would use assisted dying if he thought best option

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:25 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:12 pm
I personally don’t like situations where governments who I have no faith in at all are making decisions based on factors about my family and in a way micro managing everything … I’m fairly sure the likes of Boris Johnson when he was in power with his rules for the masses and rules for himself and his cronies would do what’s best for his family and would use assisted dying if he thought best option
That's the big scary thing for me. When elderly and not-very-well people start thinking about what's best for the family, they may and will (in their down moments) think it best for their family if they pop off and save the family the bother of looking after them, and also give them a bigger inheritance. Some families will encourage them in this thinking.

We need to think about the terminally ill who are dying in pain, but we also need to think about the not-terminally ill who are vulnerable to be "encouraged" to go before their time.
These 2 users liked this post: Carlos the Great Croydon Claret

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:45 pm

I am currently reading an alternative view to dying written by Dr Bruce Greyson who has studied : near death experiences over the past 40 years with patients … He is constantly probing his own findings with probable fathomable reasonings ,, in a way trying to discredit his own work . it’s a very compelling read even for a non believer like myself that possibly we are an energy that could continue after death even if it’s not a man in the sky with a white fluffy beard

TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Post by TomtheClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:46 pm

So sorry to hear that Lowbank. I hope everyone in this awful situation finds peace.
I think with the right safeguards in place this has to be in place. Having seen both my father and father in law, die from cancer, its a option I'm sure both would have taken. Its not just life that is ultimately taken, but dignity in time leading up to death!

Elbarad
Been Liked: 149 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:18 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:08 am
I should have given credit to the nutjobs who think it will end up like Logan's Run, fair point
Well he could have said it was going to end up like Soylent Green. Would even fit in with the Climate concerns.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:53 pm

Venkys4eva wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 am
Like the dignatas clinics that started by assisting the terminally ill to die who are now assisting 29 year olds with mild depression and anxiety to end their lives. Next it will be those who have very minor ailments. Everything snowballs, just look at the equality act. A very well meaning piece of legislation thats snowballed into us all having no gender and being able to identify as a carrot.

I believe anyone should have the right to end their life at any time, and in a dignified manner.

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm

We describe it as being the humane thing to do when it's any other living creature.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:27 pm

As long as the illness is “ physical” and terminal and the patient completely able to make that decision it’s hard to argue against it ( with strict “ policing “) Is there a man alive who hasn’t had a close friend , family member etc go through hell, pain and suffering as their lives ebbed away . End of life care can be almost beyond horrific ( through nobody’s fault )

A 70 yr old can marry a kid with a full school yr left
We can sign up for the army at 17
We can identify as a dog
Blokes with a hairy arse and a big knob can put a frock on legally be a woman .

Yet ending your own life when ( for eg) you’re riddled with cancer, bedridden or screaming in agony begging to die … is illegal.. Defy’s belief .
These 2 users liked this post: Carlos the Great boatshed bill

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:48 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:27 pm
As long as the illness is “ physical” and terminal and the patient completely able to make that decision it’s hard to argue against it ( with strict “ policing “) Is there a man alive who hasn’t had a close friend , family member etc go through hell, pain and suffering as their lives ebbed away . End of life care can be almost beyond horrific ( through nobody’s fault )

A 70 yr old can marry a kid with a full school yr left
We can sign up for the army at 17
We can identify as a dog
Blokes with a hairy arse and a big knob can put a frock on legally be a woman .

Yet ending your own life when ( for eg) you’re riddled with cancer, bedridden or screaming in agony begging to die … is illegal.. Defy’s belief .
When you put it like that ,,, it’s hard to argue with 🤣

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:24 pm

I am definitely in favour for those who are terminal or where their life has been altered so much by unfortunate events. I’ve seen too many people close to me die of cancer now, and those final days and few weeks are the hardest to see, let alone go through, I’m sure. They often just want to end it easily.

So I don’t see it as shortening life like I’ve seen some people mention before, usually religious people, I see it as shortening death.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:40 pm

So what we are advocating here in the majority of opinion is not a National Health Service but a National Death Service. Would all those in favour of Assisted Dying think the same if it was renamed Assisted Killing or State Sanctioned Killing ? Like many. others I have seen one of my parents in great discomfort and pain at the end of her life and it crossed my mind that I could end it for her with a NHS pillow pressed hard against her face for just a couple of minutes. Kill my own Mother? The thought was too horrible to contemplate and neither could I expect anyone else to do it for me.
I was reading in the paper how a man horribly stabbed to death with multiple knife wounds his former girlfriend and her new boyfriend. Was he sentenced to death too ? Of course not. We are too civilised a country to allow such a thing. He lives on but we are taking it upon ourselves to adopt a culture of death for the innocent but exclude murderers , rapists et al.
I remember the so called @Liverpool Pathway and 'Do not resuscitate' as being akin to assisted dying. ' These soon fell into disrepute despite the best intentions with patients being starved to death and dehydrated to death.

Tufty
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Tufty » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:41 pm

My Dad said he'd shoot himself before going into a care home. He went into a care home. He lost the ability to walk and go to the toilet by himself. His day involved being dressed then wheeled to a window for 8 hours. On a visit I asked him if I had a pill that you could take to end all this would you take it. He shrugged his shoulders and said..."Well, no one wants to die ". He was 92.

You'd be surprised how the bar can be continually lowered.

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:16 pm

The bar being lowered in the pecking order is one thing but being in so much pain that life is hanging on by a thread and distressing to other family members to see is another

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:46 pm

claret59 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:40 pm
So what we are advocating here in the majority of opinion is not a National Health Service but a National Death Service. Would all those in favour of Assisted Dying think the same if it was renamed Assisted Killing or State Sanctioned Killing ? Like many. others I have seen one of my parents in great discomfort and pain at the end of her life and it crossed my mind that I could end it for her with a NHS pillow pressed hard against her face for just a couple of minutes. Kill my own Mother? The thought was too horrible to contemplate and neither could I expect anyone else to do it for me.
I was reading in the paper how a man horribly stabbed to death with multiple knife wounds his former girlfriend and her new boyfriend. Was he sentenced to death too ? Of course not. We are too civilised a country to allow such a thing. He lives on but we are taking it upon ourselves to adopt a culture of death for the innocent but exclude murderers , rapists et al.
I remember the so called @Liverpool Pathway and 'Do not resuscitate' as being akin to assisted dying. ' These soon fell into disrepute despite the best intentions with patients being starved to death and dehydrated to death.
If you don’t believe the Liverpool Pathway is still happening then you’re not watching closely enough!

It is absolutely still happening in all but name I’d say. I’ve been there with three family members in recent years where we’ve had to get quite angry to get water and those cylindrical swabs so that we can hydrate them, and the change when they got just water was remarkable, adding days to their life.

Call it assisted killing all you want for me, my stance is the same, especially so when they are of sound mind when making the decision.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 pm

claret59 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:40 pm
Just saying, I did ask how the carers would know my mum has a DNR in place.
Reply was they don’t, they only need to remember the 3 that don’t.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:15 pm

TomtheClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:46 pm
So sorry to hear that Lowbank. I hope everyone in this awful situation finds peace.
I think with the right safeguards in place this has to be in place. Having seen both my father and father in law, die from cancer, its a option I'm sure both would have taken. Its not just life that is ultimately taken, but dignity in time leading up to death!
Thank you.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:49 pm

This is really two different types of scenario. One, someone in the last few days of life and suffering badly; two, someone who may have a year, two years, ten years, even fifty years to live. The first scenario shouldn't be used to justify the second.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:26 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 pm
Just saying, I did ask how the carers would know my mum has a DNR in place.
Reply was they don’t, they only need to remember the 3 that don’t.
So sorry to hear of your situation Lowbank.

DNAR’s are a big part of my job in transporting patients to and from appointments, care homes etc. we have to be very alert to the fact and ask whether the patient has a DNAR in place and it usually handed to us in a yellow envelope. It is usually on our notes that there is one in place. In these situations (and I have been in one) if a patient goes into cardiac arrest etc then we have to let them die, horrible….

Like many on here I do feel there is a place for assisted dying BUT it must come with many caveats

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:48 pm

Went to see Mum today.
She has cellulitis and is on antibiotics.
Currently bed bound.
Opening statement when I went in.
“I am fing fed up with this , I would just rather be dead”
Then added “ why cannot just have cancer to finish me off.”

Now I think I am strong person, but I did have a minute when I got back to my car and few tears.
The care she gets is 5 star, but she has had enough and it’s only going to get worse, with no options for her.

Mentally she is as sharpe as ever, went up on Sunday with daughter and BF. They are in final year of uni. Even struggling to talk she was telling BF why page 3 para 2 he made it so difficult for the marker to give him marks as he waffled.
That’s what makes it so difficult, still as sharp as she ever was.

johnnyjones
Been Liked: 21 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by johnnyjones » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:07 am

Having watched a couple family members go through the final stages of cancer with no chance of recovery, taking that last few weeks of pain away for everybody would have been a blessing

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 am

Venkys4eva wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 am
Like the dignatas clinics that started by assisting the terminally ill to die who are now assisting 29 year olds with mild depression and anxiety to end their lives. Next it will be those who have very minor ailments. Everything snowballs, just look at the equality act. A very well meaning piece of legislation thats snowballed into us all having no gender and being able to identify as a carrot.
Having helped my Mum fill in the application, dignitas do not just let you book in next Thursday to check out.
They check your medication and if they think it can be adjusted and your quality of life will improve. They send you home, hence wasting about £6000. You have to pay up front.

There are several hoops to jump through, and to be fair my Mum left it too late. She could not get there now.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:17 am

johnnyjones wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:07 am
Having watched a couple family members go through the final stages of cancer with no chance of recovery, taking that last few weeks of pain away for everybody would have been a blessing
My step dad the same, I remember the undertaker saying to my Mum should we say died peacefully surrounded by family. She declined saying he died in agony.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:42 am

An appropriately applied end of life pathway should offer those at the end of life a good death
No one put on that pathway who is not going to die will die on an end of life pathway. Those on the pathway who rally can be taken off it too