Muric - Surely has to start on Sunday ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2694 times

Re: Muric - Surely has to start on Sunday ?

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:05 am

BPF is a better Keeper than Trafford.

Murik and BPF

Save £!9M.

Keep THB and or Tella... (and Roberts) and play them

A Totally Different Season

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:52 am

I think coolclaret mentioned this previously but Trafford being hailed as some heroic shot stopper is a myth … he is no better than any other keeper at shot stopping but is clearly dreadful at crosses .. set pieces … and his distribution is shocking … Which other premier league team would start him ? He is championship level best

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:56 am

He won’t drop Trafford.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:57 am

i agree but unfortunately Trafford will start the game unless he gets injured in training.

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:05 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:57 am
i agree but unfortunately Trafford will start the game unless he gets injured in training.
I honestly thought Vincent would have actually tried that trick my now.

“James picked up a knock in training so we’re monitoring the situation” even when he hadn’t done. That way he saves face by not dropping him due to form. If Muric comes in and plays well then it’s his to lose (as should have been the case originally) and if he stinks out the place like Trafford does then Bincent gets to give a big “told you so” to all those doubting him.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1358 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:20 am

I think the main reason managers don't like to chop and change their goalkeepers is because they like to try and build a settled defence and the chemistry between the goalkeeper and the back four is crucial. It's all about consistency and familiarity at the back.

But in our case we haven't had a settled back four all season. It's been changed constantly so there was never any opportunity for Trafford to get used to the players in front of him and build that understanding anyway.

Which begs the question, why not change the goalkeeper as well in an attempt to find a working formula? He's changed everything else.

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:26 am

Maybe if Pace put more pressure on VK to get results and that his job was in serious jeopardy if we don’t win 1 of the next 3 games he might think about putting Muric in .. I’ve heard of don’t change a winning side but not too familiar with this don’t change a losing side that VK is implementing

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:36 am

Vim Fuego wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:38 pm
In terms of distribution, Muric has a ceiling that Trafford could not even dream of. And this is precisely the point, the Muric ceiling is huge. Why don't some fans see this ?
Oh I do see it, but the guy in the dugout making the decisions thinks differently.

At the start of last season I thought he was a complete liability, he was so different to the ‘launch it’ approach of Pope and Heaton before him. Over the course of the season, much like everyone else, I saw what he actually brought to the team and grew to be one of my favourite players. Whether he’d get away with nutmegging players in this league we’re probably never going to find out.

Personally I’d have had Muric in from the first game, it should have been his shirt to lose, but we are where we are. Pointless debate after pointless debate, week after week saying Muric must start, it ain’t gonna happen. Kompany has made his choice and if he was open to change he’d have done it weeks ago.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:58 am

The thing with Muric is that last season, although he had some shaky moments early doors, he improved immeasurably as the season wore on, to the point where he was almost flawless in the second half of the season.

Trafford is going the other way and needs taking out of the firing line but, alas, it won’t happen.
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

matucana
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by matucana » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:06 am

I am expecting Trafford to be sold in the close season possibly back to City under the buyback clause. He is a good shot stopper but lacks dominance and sound positional play. A good goalkeeping coach would soon eradicate those weaknesses and any club would then have a sound keeper with U21 national experience. He has to continually feature to remain prominent and relatively marketable. On the bench you become invisible even as a sub. Unlikely to yield any sale surplus.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:11 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:05 am

Murik and BPF

Save £!9M.

I've said the same myself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Had we started the season with Muric and BPF I suspect it would have been questioned. However, £19m on Trafford will go down as the most disastrous signing in our history. Any thought that City will buy him back is nonsensical - he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's anywhere near the standard required. He will end up being a very expensive mistake.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:28 am

There’s no question that Muric and BPF are better keepers than Trafford. It’s a complete myth that Trafford is this heroic shot stopper, almost like it’s an agenda that’s being pushed to support the signing of Trafford.

Unfortunately there’s no chance anyone buys Trafford and he will play regardless as long as Kompany is the manager. What happens after Kompany gets bagged next season will be interesting.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:39 am

jlup1980 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:11 am
I've said the same myself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Had we started the season with Muric and BPF I suspect it would have been questioned. However, £19m on Trafford will go down as the most disastrous signing in our history. Any thought that City will buy him back is nonsensical - he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's anywhere near the standard required. He will end up being a very expensive mistake.
I've said this before, he lacks very basic qualities in a goalkeeper, thing's you learn and progress with early on, to have played even at u21 and league one level and still not have these basic elements of a goalkeeper is just crazy, and imo if he's not got them now he's not going to get them, a coach can help a player /goalkeeper progress but not if the basics are not there at this stage, yes as has been said many times Trafford is a decent shot stopper, but that's what he's there for. It's the first thing a keeper needs, but there's lot's more to being a goalkeeper, especially in arguably the best league in the world. So I agree will be the most disastrous and expensive signing at the club. However, hope I'm wrong and makes it for the sake of the club, and on a personal level.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:51 am

matucana wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:06 am
I am expecting Trafford to be sold in the close season possibly back to City under the buyback clause. He is a good shot stopper but lacks dominance and sound positional play. A good goalkeeping coach would soon eradicate those weaknesses and any club would then have a sound keeper with U21 national experience. He has to continually feature to remain prominent and relatively marketable. On the bench you become invisible even as a sub. Unlikely to yield any sale surplus.
Aye, I'm sure City will be desperate to bring him back

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:08 am

There’s no surer sign of the goalkeeper debate on here finally vanishing up its own arse than people saying BPF would be an improvement on Trafford.

Sacré feckin’ bleu, go have a lie down or something.
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash NewClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:20 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:58 am
The thing with Muric is that last season, although he had some shaky moments early doors, he improved immeasurably as the season wore on, to the point where he was almost flawless in the second half of the season.

Trafford is going the other way and needs taking out of the firing line but, alas, it won’t happen.
I agree about Muric’ improvement last season.

I also agree that Trafford hasn’t improved at the same pace, which I was expecting he would.

What I don’t agree with is that ‘he’s going the other way’. I actually thought, bar the pass, he did well vs Palace. And being honest Brownhill shouldn’t have fouled & we may’ve got away with it.

Overall I’d liked to have seen Muric start and back in now, but I’m not going to berate a 21 year old player (who has actually shown many good moments) on here just because I’d prefer we play Muric (who also has a changer in him).

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:21 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:05 am

Murik and BPF

Save £!9M.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times

Post by Jamesy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:34 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:08 am
I still can't believe this is a point of contention in a season that's been as bad as it has been tbh.

The manager has literally chopped and changed everyone bar the young league one goal keeper that's been bullied in the air on multiple occasions, lobbed from distance twice and has Pope level distribution ability (at best) in a side that's meant to play progressive passing football.

Someone make it make sense.
It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
I know I will get shot down for saying this, but as a conservative estimate, Trafford has cost us between 6 and 9 points this season with his weak goalkeeping.
Trafford lovers will be on shortly to say how many games he has kept us in with his “worldly” saves that Muric wouldn’t get anywhere near. Which quite frankly is a load of tosh.
I’m resigned to seeing the team sheet tomorrow when I get to the match and both Trafford and Amdouni will be in the starting line up.
Madness? Stubbornness? Incompetence? Or all of the three?

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:42 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:34 am
It doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
I know I will get shot down for saying this, but as a conservative estimate, Trafford has cost us between 6 and 9 points this season with his weak goalkeeping.
Trafford lovers will be on shortly to say how many games he has kept us in with his “worldly” saves that Muric wouldn’t get anywhere near. Which quite frankly is a load of tosh.
I’m resigned to seeing the team sheet tomorrow when I get to the match and both Trafford and Amdouni will be in the starting line up.
Madness? Stubbornness? Incompetence? Or all of the three?
All 3 I'm sure, plus naivety and quite amateur imo. Crazy that the overwhelming majority including the pundits can see it, yet vk can't, or won't. But quite likely as it stands that whatever it is, will cost our premier league status.

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:48 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:42 am
All 3 I'm sure, plus naivety and quite amateur imo. Crazy that the overwhelming majority including the pundits can see it, yet vk can't, or won't. But quite likely as it stands that whatever it is, will cost our premier league status.
We aren’t going down because of our keeper - it’s because we can’t score goals or pass accurately

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:54 am

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:48 am
We aren’t going down because of our keeper - it’s because we can’t score goals or pass accurately
It's multifaceted, including lack of goals, but our defensive weaknesses and mistakes, and the high number of goals conceded, which Trafford has clearly contributed to, have been crucial.
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:11 am

LincsWoldsClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:48 am
Right from the very start of the season Trafford has been a huge contributing factor to the uncertainty and lack of confidence at the back, and Muric was instrumental last season to our threat going forward and goals for column. Muric would undoubtedly improve thing's at both ends, however we don't have a tella, which was murics main focus last season, however he did pick other's out with great accuracy to set up attacks. I can't recall Trafford setting up many attacks, if any.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am

taio wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:54 am
It's multifaceted, including lack of goals, but our defensive weaknesses and mistakes, and the high number of goals conceded, which Trafford has clearly contributed to, have been crucial.
Check the Final PL Table for 2021/22 and you will discover it was the 3 lowest scoring teams that were relegated not those that conceded most goals. That is a fact. Burnley only conceded 53 goals that season and plenty of clubs above us conceded more than that. We don’t create enough chances and the finishing is poor. Once again this season it is the 2 lowest scoring teams filling the bottom 2 places.

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:35 am

Trafford supporters need to listen to TV commentators including ex players ,managers and other people who understand the game who are baffled by Traffords selection every week while we are languishing adrift at the foot of the table ..

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:42 am

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:35 am
Trafford supporters need to listen to TV commentators including ex players ,managers and other people who understand the game who are baffled by Traffords selection every week while we are languishing adrift at the foot of the table ..
Could you point me in the direction where I can read or hear those articles please

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 am

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:11 am
I can't recall Trafford setting up many attacks, if any.
Wrong. He set one up at Palace last week. ;)
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg alwaysaclaret

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:48 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am
Check the Final PL Table for 2021/22 and you will discover it was the 3 lowest scoring teams that were relegated not those that conceded most goals. That is a fact. Burnley only conceded 53 goals that season and plenty of clubs above us conceded more than that. We don’t create enough chances and the finishing is poor. Once again this season it is the 2 lowest scoring teams filling the bottom 2 places.
Often both. A big part of us staying in the PL under Dyche was our defensive strength and not conceding too many goals.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:49 am

As baffled as we all are with this. Imagine how Muric must be feeling.

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:51 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:42 am
Could you point me in the direction where I can read or hear those articles please
Nori you know it’s damned near impossible to find old clips of what pundits have said especially in away games because most of the time they are foreign streams ,but surely you must have seen some of the TV pundits scratching their heads for VK continually picking him .

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:57 am

Nori1958 wrote:
If you read the Burnley Express for 25th Feb ,their talking about Trafford’s costly mistakes for a start .

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:05 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:57 am
If you read the Burnley Express for 25th Feb ,their talking about Trafford’s costly mistakes for a start .
Thanks Westleigh, which ex player, manager or pundit is mentioned in the article? Saves me going on a website full of adverts to look for it

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:09 pm

Carwin261 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:51 am
Nori you know it’s damned near impossible to find old clips of what pundits have said especially in away games because most of the time they are foreign streams ,but surely you must have seen some of the TV pundits scratching their heads for VK continually picking him .
Westleigh, I very rarely watch the games on tv as more often than not iam at the game, and certainly ain't watching a re run this season.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:17 pm

There's definitely some people on here who would rather see Muric start than Burnley win tomorrow, see the 'Which is more important for you on Sunday?' thread. What an odd bunch.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 pm

I've just read 2 articles in the Burnley express and vk has no intensions of changing anything tomorrow, surely pace and co can't continue into next season with this philosophy, or we could soon be discussing games of an orient proportion. Worrying time's imo looking at vk's summing up of the way to go forward.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:22 pm

VK answered this very question in his press conference yesterday….and I quote.
“When the number of posts on up the clarets discussing this reaches 4 million then Muric will play”

So with the game being on a Sunday I think there’s a great chance.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:25 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:18 pm
I've just read 2 articles in the Burnley express and vk has no intensions of changing anything tomorrow, surely pace and co can't continue into next season with this philosophy, or we could soon be discussing games of an orient proportion. Worrying time's imo looking at vk's summing up of the way to go forward.
So he's taking us to the bottom of league 3....wow, just wow.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:29 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Andy Townsend, Dean Saunders, Darren Bent, Danny Murphy Jamie O’Hara et.al. Yes these are all on Talksport which is not really a respected radio station for the highbrow elite on here. However, all of them have said our goalkeeper is not up to scratch on several occasions.
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:25 pm
So he's taking us to the bottom of league 3....wow, just wow.
"Read the articles" he's quotes, words, statements, and determination not to change something that's clearly not working, and to read he's thinking of he's vision of the way forward is just mind-boggling to say the least, to get to a point of orient standards is way down the line clearly, but it's worrying times to say the least imo.

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:29 pm
Andy Townsend, Dean Saunders, Darren Bent, Danny Murphy Jamie O’Hara et.al. Yes these are all on Talksport which is not really a respected radio station for the highbrow elite on here. However, all of them have said our goalkeeper is not up to scratch on several occasions.
I sometimes catch it on the way home from games, if the other stations don't have football on, the last time was after the Luton game, when Bent was defending him, I certainly wouldn't take any notice of O'hara, the others views would have been interesting to hear, and how often they had seen us play

Nori1958

Post by Nori1958 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:40 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 pm
"Read the articles" he's quotes, words, statements, and determination not to change something that's clearly not working, and to read he's thinking of he's vision of the way forward is just mind-boggling to say the least, to get to a point of orient standards is way down the line clearly, but it's worrying times to say the least imo.
It worked last season, yes it hasn't this season, but will no doubt work again next season, I'd be more worried if he said he was moving away from the tried and tested next season.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Forget all this style of play nonsense,Muric is a better keeper.Ive not seen one save made by Trafford that Muric couldn't make.After the World Cup last season Muric was immense.Dropping him was crazy

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Beat me to it … Trafford has been described on Talk Sport as looking like a youth team Keeper way out of his depth .. that’s just what I see every week !
These 2 users liked this post: alwaysaclaret Jamesy

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:46 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Think it's fair to say we can add Martin keown, Alan shearer and Ian wright to this list, all have pointed to the failings, and what's wrong.

alwaysaclaret

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:49 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:40 pm
It worked last season, yes it hasn't this season, but will no doubt work again next season, I'd be more worried if he said he was moving away from the tried and tested next season.
I await next season with bated breath, because if we go into it with this same philosophy and set up we'll be way off. I've said on numerous thread's, no way will next season be as easy as last.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6966 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm

Jamesy wrote:
It's never a good idea to start a sentence 'Andy Townsend, Dean Saunders', but even so, I think most Burnley fans would agree that Trafford isn't up to scratch, and the same can be levelled against almost all of our players.

Carlos the Great

Post by Carlos the Great » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm
It's never a good idea to start a sentence 'Andy Townsend, Dean Saunders', but even so, I think most Burnley fans would agree that Trafford isn't up to scratch, and the same can be levelled against almost all of our players.
I think the point with Trafford is he is young and learning .. but the keeper is such an important position in the team it’s almost madness that he is thrown in the premier league first team when he hasn’t even played in the championship before .:: while he is learning his trade the whole club is sinking like the titanic

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:02 pm

Ever asked yourselves how Trafford feels at this moment playing and manager keeps picking him and knowing that every mistake is highlighted..

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:20 pm

I’m glad to flick thru another JT thread where his transfer fee has increased again. Get Muric in, it’s not like his distribution cost us the game at Spurs, best overlook that. Football is so fickle, start of last season UTC posters were praying for Muric to make a mistake so they could proudly say I told you so.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:29 pm

NL Claret wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:20 pm
I’m glad to flick thru another JT thread where his transfer fee has increased again. Get Muric in, it’s not like his distribution cost us the game at Spurs, best overlook that. Football is so fickle, start of last season UTC posters were praying for Muric to make a mistake so they could proudly say I told you so.
Muric wasn't directly responsible for the Spurs goal though, Amdouni should have looked after the ball, instead he got caught napping again. Personally I want Muric back in the starting XI to take the pressure off JT as much as anything else.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:45 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:44 pm
Beat me to it … Trafford has been described on Talk Sport as looking like a youth team Keeper way out of his depth .. that’s just what I see every week !
Correct! Several of the pundits on Talksport have said this.