Burnley v Bournemouth - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Re: Burnley v Bournemouth - Player Ratings

Post by maidenover » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:52 pm

Trafford 5
Assignon 7
O’Shea 3
Esteve 7
Taylor 7
Berge 7
Cullen 7
Vitinho 7
Odobert 5
Bruun Larsen 5
Fofana 3

Amdouni 4

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:05 pm

Just got back to Chesterfield after driving home in silence. Left when the second went in to get a head start on the M62, sadly something I’ve found myself doing all too often this season.

First half was the best we’ve played in months, but all the cutting edge of a blunt spatula. Defensively horrific and a goalkeeper who doesn’t understand the meaning of urgency when losing a game. Bournemouth were there for the taking today, a terrible team who frankly looked like they had their flip flops on. We handed it to them on a plate. Cant criticise the effort today, but we’re nowhere near good enough.

Trafford 5 - Not at fault today but his distribution was very suspect and his desire to attract a press that never came by standing on the ball for 30 seconds a pop was driving people to insanity.

Assignon 5 - He’s alright, don’t really see a huge upgrade here. Not fussed whatsoever about us losing him after relegation.

Esteve 5 - Looks a bit suspect to me. Doesn’t command much considering his size.

O’Shea 4 - Been better recently but I felt he was back to his pre-Christmas level today. Struggled.

Taylor 5 - So bad going forwards but was generally what you’d expect from him. Not great.

Cullen 8 - Thought he was busy, showed desire and looked up for it. He will be a key man again next season.

Berge 8 - MOM for me, same words as Cullen. We must keep him as that is a promotion winning central midfield pairing.

Odobert 4 - Missed an absolute sitter early doors and was then a case of all fart no ****. He’s got ability but doesn’t suit a team ‘battling’ to stay up.

Larsen 4 - Not sure he’s particularly good at anything but great free kick.

Vitinho 8 - Desire, heart, attitude - three things our attacking players generally have none of. He gets pelters on here but you can’t fault the effort and there was quality with that today.

Fofana 3 - Offers nothing whatsoever. Lightweight and out of his depth.

Subs:

Amdouni 3 - The anonymous man entered the fray and one ridiculous backheel in his own half apart (to a Bournemouth player, of course) was as spectre-like in his impact on a game as ever. I pray some club is daft enough to buy him.

Benson 5 - Weight of the world on his shoulders and at least he got more than his usual 60 seconds today. Wasn’t given the ball enough to judge. Time to be given some starts so we can reintegrate him for next season.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

strayclaret
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 93 times

Post by strayclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:19 pm

From TV
Trafford 6
Assignon 5
O'Shea 4
Estève 4
Taylor 6
Vitinho 6
Berge 6
Cullen 7
Bruun Larsen 5
Odobert 5
Fofana 5

Amdouni 3
Toothless and I am back live next week, unfortunately 🤕

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Trafford 5
Assignon 6
O'Shea 3
Esteve 4
Taylor 6
Vitinho 7
Berge 8
Cullen 8
Bruun Larsen 5
Odobert 5
Fofana 3

Amdouni 3

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:44 pm

Trafford 5 - not at fault for either goal but his (lack of) passing ruins our style when we're on top of a game and puts us in trouble when we aren't. So many times he dithered, slowed it downas if we were 2-0 up with 10 to go then just went long to nobody. Couple times he sliced it out, or to opposition players once in particular we were very lucky. It's absolutely exhausting this, it's a punishment to him and the fans to keep picking him.

Assignon 5- Such a hit-miss player, dropped off after those first couple games, like he's lowered himself to our level. Got let off early with a bad error that Taylor rescued.
O’Shea 4- Back to early season O'Shea. He'd had a decent run where despite our results he looked like he was doing okay. That's been gone for a few weeks now.
Esteve 5- Another who's lowered himself to our level after initial promise.
Taylor 7- Best defender, did work and put in a shift going forwards even if it didn't deliver.
Berge 7- Solid midfielder, he's had a few hit-miss games lately but better today
Cullen 8- Much more like the Cullen of last year than the Cullen of early season, outclassed Bournemouth's midfield
Vitinho 6- He'd be a 9 for effort and vision, 4 for end product. God if he could finish, cross, or pass, he'd be a hell of a player. Lot to be missing, mind.
Odobert 4- Awful. Lazy performance typified when he couldn't be bothered to receive a ball around the 75-80th minute and caused Taylor to get clattered. Spurned an early chance, didn't do much else other than stub his toe on the pitch then pretend to be kicked. Have to say the longer the season's gone on the less I'm convinced by him and in particular his workrate and attitude.
Bruun Larsen 5- Fine, I guess. Great freekick, didn't do much else. Early season sub promise is a distant memory.
Fofana 3- Invisible man. Seems to only be any good from the bench. Starting to understand why he didn't make it in a Bundesliga relegation fight another who looked a good pick-up in his first couple games and has dropped to our level.

Subs:
Amdouni 3- You could have told me we'd been on 10 men after he came on and I'd have believed you. Anonymous. Hasn't pushed on at all, I've ran out of excuses or hope that he just needs the right partner, something's missing with the guy.
Benson- N/R but at least the guy tried you could tell he wanted to make something happen, but he had 15 minutes in a team bereft of confidence.

The recurring theme here is "players that have got worse with time". For all our 'possession' (completed passes, not time with the ball, but I suspect actual possession was also better) we did nothing with it and were carved open by their only attacks, carved ourselves open a couple times, and couldn't score. We're going backwards as a team, Kompany is going backwards as a manager, but I'm concerned some players are going backwards as individuals too.
The ref did us no favours- Kluivert should have been off and that goal is never a foul in a million years (I don't think the Luton goal was a foul on Trafford either but the level of contact with ours is even more inocuous, players are allowed to challenge for the ball). But if you need a man advantage to get anything at home when you're that ostensibly in charge of a game something's wrong. I do think it MIGHT have panned out differently had our goal stood but I can't even feel robbed about it because we've shown repeatedly this season that it wouldn't matter, we'd still muck up.
This user liked this post: Neil

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:37 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:23 pm
I think the biggest argument for dropping Trafford is reflected by the scores he's now getting for a perfectly fine performance in which he played to instructions. He's becoming a lightening rod for the teams failings.
I agree with you on this.

I really felt for the guy today, he was absolutely the least of our problems.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11059 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:39 pm

whoever does the player ratings on the BBC needs putting in a canon and firing over the Bob Lord
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68395538
This user liked this post: Leisure

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:40 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:37 pm

He’s not the least of our problems though is he.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:19 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:35 pm
I thought O'Shea today was exposed by Esteve alongside him
I thought O'Shea was poor today, the silly booking and the two goals, but it can't help playing alongside Estève at all.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:19 pm
I thought O'Shea was poor today, the silly booking and the two goals, but it can't help playing alongside Estève at all.
I certainly think that Esteve is being targeted. It looks to me like he's being targeting by balls that require him to turn on the basis it's a weakness in his game. It doesn't take long in the Premier League now for the analysis to pick this stuff up. Apart from the very first Bournemouth chance of the game, when Assignon sold himself remarkably easily and Taylor did quite brilliantly to defend the cross, virtually every Bournemouth chance came via our left centre back channel, generally with balls that easily took Esteve out of the equation. That includes both goals. The fact O'Shea was getting dragged over to that side so much on the cover tells its own story.

Esteve may well prove a good player in time but right now he looks like another young kid thrown into a team that is rock bottom on confidence, whilst he adapts to a foreign league, and finding it difficult to swim immediately. The problem is we needed someone already capable of swimming with sharks.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:48 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:46 pm
I certainly think that Esteve is being targeted. It looks to me like he's being targeting by balls that require him to turn on the basis it's a weakness in his game. It doesn't take long in the Premier League now for the analysis to pick this stuff up. Apart from the very first Bournemouth chance of the game, when Assignon sold himself remarkably easily and Taylor did quite brilliantly to defend the cross, virtually every Bournemouth chance came via our left centre back channel, generally with balls that easily took Esteve out of the equation. That includes both goals. The fact O'Shea was getting dragged over to that side so much on the cover tells its own story.

Esteve may well prove a good player in time but right now he looks like another young kid thrown into a team that is rock bottom on confidence, whilst he adapts to a foreign league, and finding it difficult to swim immediately. The problem is we needed someone already capable of swimming with sharks.
Totally agree with that spice

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1039 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:59 pm

Trafford 4 - Chronic and I mean chronic distribution which a couple of saves doesn't make any better, the lads shot and I fee for him currently. For me it's gone beyond criticism l
Assignon 4 stay on your feet lad when closing someone down
O'Shea 4 can't smell danger
Estève 4 can't smell danger
Taylor 6 That clearance 1st half was from an experienced player who knows how to defend
Vitinho 7 you know something I thought he put a shift in today
Berge 6
Cullen 8 miles above from what we've seen Brownhill produce all season
Bruun Larsen 5
Odobert 5 shite in defence but at least he doesn't drift when we're attacking
Fofana 4 poor today imo

Amdouni 3 absolutely fu*king useless again, we got visibly worse with his introduction, the chances dried up. Would you want this kind of character in the trenches with you, would you f*CK, you'd have already have had your head blow off and he'd be still ******* his pants 6ft below. A player that's had too much money too young and needs a high quality team ( or at least one he can hide in ) to perform. Unfortunately Burnley aren't that team!

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:11 pm

Played pretty well today on the whole and were the better side but gifted another lead and then conceded the clincher when we're pushing for an equaliser from a player who should have been sent off in the 1st half.

Trafford 5 not much goalkeeping to do, made one decent save and had no chance with either goal. Slowed things down when they needed speeding up and his dithering resulted in giving the ball away or putting it out of play a few times. He isn't helped by the lack of movement in front of him but opposing fans are just laughing when we play it back to him now.

Assignon 5 OK, a bit slow to react a lot of the time

O’Shea 4 wtf was that booking.

Esteve 3 seems scared to death of heading the ball and let's it bounce far to often. Not very strong and positionally awful.

Taylor 6

Berge 6

Cullen 7 his best performance at this level

Vitinho 8 effort, application, heart and actually played pretty well

Odobert 6 should work the keeper more in the 1st half

Bruun Larsen 5 great free kick, not much else

Fofana 4 nope

Amdouni 3 turbo nope

Should have won that today but shot ourselves in the foot and despite having most of the play, we were guilty of over playing or not having the final ball. Haven't seen it back but looked nothing wrong with our goal. Who cares though? Looking forward to getting out of this league ASAP, the game is finished at this level.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:13 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:46 pm

I know Beyer is injured but good God it upsets me that we've never seen Muric/Ekdal/Beyer as a unit again. It wasn't for many games last season but those were the games where we completely and utterly clicked in every area of the pitch and looked so so settled at the back. I know Ekdal's been done for pace in his couple of games this year, but he was generally playing on the left and in at least one had Vitinho at LB alongside him with the defensively AWOL Odobert ahead, not even close to the shape of that defensive unit last year.

We might get hammered as badly but God it'd just be nice to see it for a couple of games. Same as the Benson situation, 15 minutes today and you're left feeling lucky to have seen that much of him. Even if we lose as badly at least give the fans the lift and get the elephant in the room dealt with so people can move on.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1980 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:17 pm

From tv
Trafford 5 nothing different, distribution poor and so slow it’s irritating.
Assignon 6 okay going forward
O’Shea 4 kevinlongesque at times...he could be a bench warmer next season in the Championship
Esteve 6 he actually handled Solanki quite well at times
Taylor 7 best defender, plus he tried hard and kept going
Vitinho 6 some nice touches with plenty of effort, but he needs an end product
Cullen 7* best midfield display for many weeks
Berge 6 some nice runs forward
Odobert 4 another one who looks shell shocked by the PL
BL 4 drift in and out, mainly out
Fofana 5 he ran his socks of in the first half to no avail. No service to him whatsoever
Amdouni 4 not sure if he was on long enough for a mark, what was worse, I don’t think he knew if he playing or not.

Not much to say...same old, same old. Our last season’s team would have beaten this very average Bournemouth team. I am worried about next season with this set of players.

burnley007
Been Liked: 641 times
Has Liked: 674 times

Post by burnley007 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:29 pm

Trafford 5
Assignon 7
Taylor 5
O’Shea 6
Esteve 7 big lad
Cullen 7 so much better than the ghost
Vitinho 8 excellent
JBL 7 best performance for a while
Odobert 5
Berge 7 looks so comfortable
Fofana 5

Amdouni 5
Benson 3

Crowd 3 miserable, whiny bitches
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:46 pm

Trafford 6
Assignon 6
O’Shea 4
Esteve 6
Taylor 6
Berge 7
Cullen 7*
Vitinho 7
Odobert 6
Bruun Larsen 6
Fofana 5

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:47 pm

From TV as I couldn’t be arsed going on again even with a paid ticket. Never felt this way before in any season. However it’s dressed up we are serving up sh*te weak ineffective football week on week.

Trafford 5 poor distribution. Why do we have to persist with him? Why didn’t we spend the money elsewhere where the team actually needed strengthening.
Assignon 5
O Shea 4 Poor today
Esteve 5 More mediocrity
Taylor 5
Berge 6 Would look better with other players around him and hope we can keep for the Championship
Cullen 7 Thought he played well today but the opposition weren’t that great.
Vitinho 7 Plenty of effort
Odobert 5
Larsen 5
Forfana 4

Subs:
Amdouni 3 a complete waste of time and sums up our season.
Benson Good to see him come on

CatonClaret
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by CatonClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 pm

Trafford 5 - nothing wrong with either goal but it’s all about the distribution and the complete lack of urgency when losing.
Assignon 6 - flashes of a good player there but been asked to come into a shambles of a back four
Taylor 6
O’Shea 4
Esteve 4
Cullen 7 - where’s he been the past 2 months?
Vitinho 7 - always tries. If he had even an ounce of a football brain he’d be the £100m player VK talked about
JBL 6 - tried and some flashes but like a lot of others, hasn’t been able to get regular minutes ahead of some of the undroppables so flagged second half
Odobert 4 - because of others (JT and ZA) this guy keeps getting away with murder. Clearly a player there too but just doesn’t have the spirit for it.
Berge 7 - really hope we can keep hold of him
Fofana 5 - guilty of over playing it a few times but tried hard and didn’t hide

Amdouni 3 - it’s painful. Playing Amdouni is like playing with 10 men. We dropped off when he came on.

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by maidenover » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 pm

Trafford 5
Assignon 7
O’Shea 3
Esteve 7
Taylor 7
Berge 7
Cullen 7
Vitinho 7
Odobert 5
Bruun Larsen 5
Fofana 3

Amdouni 4

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:06 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:13 pm
I know Beyer is injured but good God it upsets me that we've never seen Muric/Ekdal/Beyer as a unit again. It wasn't for many games last season but those were the games where we completely and utterly clicked in every area of the pitch and looked so so settled at the back. I know Ekdal's been done for pace in his couple of games this year, but he was generally playing on the left and in at least one had Vitinho at LB alongside him with the defensively AWOL Odobert ahead, not even close to the shape of that defensive unit last year.

We might get hammered as badly but God it'd just be nice to see it for a couple of games. Same as the Benson situation, 15 minutes today and you're left feeling lucky to have seen that much of him. Even if we lose as badly at least give the fans the lift and get the elephant in the room dealt with so people can move on.
We are absolutely crying out for it SPT - can even play a slightly lower line if needed.

I've said it before i'd even try Muric, Ekdal and Delcroix at this point (if Beyer isn't fit) - all far better ball players than the current back three and I think like for like are right now better and more suited for our team.

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:09 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:08 pm
A basically good performance undermined by a couple of poor lapses defensively, a lack of confidence around the opposition box and some understandable but unhelpful and in some cases unfair impatience from the crowd.

Trafford- 7 - thought he showed character today. One good save, no chance with either goal. Generally dealt with ball well enough in the face of a barracking presumably designed to further undermine go's confidence. It certainly wasn't going to help him.

Assignon - 6 - got up and down ok but a bit unconvincing defensively.

Taylor - 7 - very positive in the first half but leas tidy after the game.

O'Shea - 6 thought he did OK, overall. Might have done better on both goals but on both occasions he was exposed by his centre back partner being caught out of position.

Esteve - 5 - out of position for both goals and looked uncomfortable at times.

Cullen - 8 - terrific in the first half before understandably fading in the second half.

Berge- 6 - another to have a good first half but fade after the break and his confidence looks even more fragile than most.

Vitinho- 6 - added plenty of energy, physicality and decent movement down the right, but the end product wasn't there.

Brunn Larsen- 5 - some nice touches and desperately unlucky with his free kick, but a bit powderpuff at times and another to fade.

Odobert - 7 - a lively presence and showed impressive movement and strength in the 10 position but missed the 2 golden chances that came his way.

Fofana - 5 - plenty of effort but with a couple of eye catching exceptions this was an untidy afternoon and it was a surprise he wasn't replaced.

Amdouni- 5 - unable to replicate Odobert's impact in the 10 role.

Benson- 5 - no great threat.

Whilst Bournemouth clearly weren't great, this was a much improved performance and on another day, with a break or two, we'd have taken points from that game.
The first half was arguably the best 45 minutes if the season, greatly improved by Cullen’s prompting, showing decent fluidity and movement but let down by a hesitancy or lack of composure in the final third (which is confidence) and a defensive horror show to gift an opening goal (which is about competence but mainly from Esteve who was caught out of position). After that we had decent chances to get back level but just couldn't take them.

After half time, we weren't as good and what confidence we had ebbed away rapidly from both players and supporters alike, creating a flat environment so far removed from that last season. Against that backdrop it was a surprise that Kompany left substitutions so long, and ignored the experience of JBG and Rodriguez when they did finally come. In the end, whilst we might have been a touch unlucky to have a goal disallowed and Bournemouth were certainly fortunate to have 11 men on the pitch, a second goal for Bournemouth had become more likely than a Burnley equaliser. Belief in our ability to win, and support for what we were trying to do, had all buy vanished by the end. It is a sad and dispiriting state of affairs.
I'm finding this long standing posters comments on player ratings kind of comforting after a defeat, it makes me feel better and lifts my mood immeasurable in the face of another defeat, a "Clarets Mad " treasure who's always used a thousand words where 10 will suffice

The man with the all seeing eye please keep up your prose it's really appreciated if only for comedic value

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:13 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:37 pm

And Kompany is absolutely killing the lad, hanging him out to dry. It's bloody rank bad management!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 pm

I'll give everybody a 5 apart from Cullen & Berge & vitanio I'd rate as a 7 & I'd drop to a 4 for o'shea. Complete garbage really & the 1s that weren't were average or slightly above.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1271 times
Has Liked: 2251 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:01 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:05 pm
Just got back to Chesterfield after driving home in silence. Left when the second went in to get a head start on the M62, sadly something I’ve found myself doing all too often this season.

First half was the best we’ve played in months, but all the cutting edge of a blunt spatula. Defensively horrific and a goalkeeper who doesn’t understand the meaning of urgency when losing a game. Bournemouth were there for the taking today, a terrible team who frankly looked like they had their flip flops on. We handed it to them on a plate. Cant criticise the effort today, but we’re nowhere near good enough.

Trafford 5 - Not at fault today but his distribution was very suspect and his desire to attract a press that never came by standing on the ball for 30 seconds a pop was driving people to insanity.

Assignon 5 - He’s alright, don’t really see a huge upgrade here. Not fussed whatsoever about us losing him after relegation.

Esteve 5 - Looks a bit suspect to me. Doesn’t command much considering his size.

O’Shea 4 - Been better recently but I felt he was back to his pre-Christmas level today. Struggled.

Taylor 5 - So bad going forwards but was generally what you’d expect from him. Not great.

Cullen 8 - Thought he was busy, showed desire and looked up for it. He will be a key man again next season.

Berge 8 - MOM for me, same words as Cullen. We must keep him as that is a promotion winning central midfield pairing.

Odobert 4 - Missed an absolute sitter early doors and was then a case of all fart no ****. He’s got ability but doesn’t suit a team ‘battling’ to stay up.

Larsen 4 - Not sure he’s particularly good at anything but great free kick.

Vitinho 8 - Desire, heart, attitude - three things our attacking players generally have none of. He gets pelters on here but you can’t fault the effort and there was quality with that today.

Fofana 3 - Offers nothing whatsoever. Lightweight and out of his depth.

Subs:

Amdouni 3 - The anonymous man entered the fray and one ridiculous backheel in his own half apart (to a Bournemouth player, of course) was as spectre-like in his impact on a game as ever. I pray some club is daft enough to buy him.

Benson 5 - Weight of the world on his shoulders and at least he got more than his usual 60 seconds today. Wasn’t given the ball enough to judge. Time to be given some starts so we can reintegrate him for next season.
100% agree with your comments about Vitinho
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Darthlaw
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:21 am

claretspice wrote:
I think the biggest argument for dropping Trafford is reflected by the scores he's now getting for a perfectly fine performance in which he played to instructions. He's becoming a lightening rod for the teams failings.
100% agree with this. Personally, I think his career with BFC is already dead for this reason. Now we’ve reached the level of boos and chants for his replacement after one misplaced pass, so much so the opposition fans pick up on our ‘support’ for one of our own - where else do we have to go?

Hearing folk effectively hanging the blame for the whole season on this young kid, whilst Muric reaches Buffon levels of ability, through Chris McCann absence syndrome, just seems to be the way now. This despite our ever changing lineup and difference defence every other game. Our weak as **** attack when Foster isn’t available and our midfield that seems to be advised to mimic a dog chasing a crisp packet in the wind. Even our 11 wingers havent really turned a game this season.

My only regret is he wasn’t taken out of the firing line sooner to see if Muric (or indeed the rest of the team) could replicate the magic we played against the likes of Preston and Bristol City, against Arsenal and Man City. Somehow I think we’d be in the same position but we’ll never know.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:21 am
100% agree with this. Personally, I think his career with BFC is already dead for this reason. Now we’ve reached the level of boos and chants for his replacement after one misplaced pass, so much so the opposition fans pick up on our ‘support’ for one of our own - where else do we have to go?

Hearing folk effectively hanging the blame for the whole season on this young kid, whilst Muric reaches Buffon levels of ability, through Chris McCann absence syndrome, just seems to be the way now. This despite our ever changing lineup and difference defence every other game. Our weak as **** attack when Foster isn’t available and our midfield that seems to be advised to mimic a dog chasing a crisp packet in the wind. Even our 11 wingers havent really turned a game this season.

My only regret is he wasn’t taken out of the firing line sooner to see if Muric (or indeed the rest of the team) could replicate the magic we played against the likes of Preston and Bristol City, against Arsenal and Man City. Somehow I think we’d be in the same position but we’ll never know.
We've had discussions on other threads about Trafford and I agree with all you've said above. It'll take something special for him to turn the tide and it's certainly not all his fault. He hasn't been good, but he's been criminally mismanaged, as highlighted by your comment "This despite our ever changing lineup and difference defence every other game".

The fact that VK isn't afraid of changing things makes it all the more strange that Muric hasn't been given a try, and I think this is the most confusing thing for fans. He's tweaked every position on the pitch other than the goalkeeper. There must be a reason for this.

We will never know what's happened behind closed doors, but I think it's becoming clear that something has happened. I suspect Muric has done something to completely break his relationship with VK and therefore VK has absolutely no intention of playing him... whether that's to the detriment of Trafford or not.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:59 am

claretspice wrote:
Spice, you more than often talk a lot of sense about games you have watched. However, on this occasion I think you are wrong when you call his performance perfectly fine.
I agree he couldn’t have done anything about the goals. However, his ponderous achingly slow, wrong decision making distribution from the back just stifles the life out of us. It’s painful to watch.
I know Kompany asks him to play like this and other posters have said it’s to draw the opposition onto us to create space further up the pitch. Whatever it is, it isn’t working.
I have stated before that I wasn’t Muric’s biggest fan. However one aspect of Muric’s game that he was good at was getting us on the attack quickly with his speed of thought and subsequent distribution from both hands and feet.
Anyway, it makes no difference now, we just have to endure another eleven games of this tedious impotent football and we will be finally put out of our misery.

Darthlaw
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:41 am

jlup1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 am
We will never know what's happened behind closed doors, but I think it's becoming clear that something has happened. I suspect Muric has done something to completely break his relationship with VK and therefore VK has absolutely no intention of playing him... whether that's to the detriment of Trafford or not.
I genuinely believe VK has just decided at the end of last season that Muric wasn't good enough for the PL. That could be the only justification for putting bids in for other GK's in June. Whether he's correct or not we'll never know.

The strange part is if there was a breakdown in the relationship, the time to sell Muric was in the summer when his stock was high, rather than parking him on the bench for a year.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:43 am

Darthlaw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:41 am
I genuinely believe VK has just decided at the end of last season that Muric wasn't good enough for the PL. That could be the only justification for putting bids in for other GK's in June. Whether he's correct or not we'll never know.

The strange part is if there was a breakdown in the relationship, the time to sell Muric was in the summer when his stock was high, rather than parking him on the bench for a year.
Muric wasn't the first choice when we signed him.... Remember his Bart video :lol: :lol:

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:27 pm

Trafford 6 - A few decent saves but his distribution is ponderous, often inaccurate and frequently the wrong option putting us under pressure.
Assignon 7 - Had a decent game and got forward a lot in the second half but there was nobody to attack his crosses.
O’Shea 6 - A completely needless booking again so put himself under pressure for 90 minutes
Esteve 5 - His awareness of what goes on around him was really lacking at times and he nearly always plays back to Trafford.
Taylor 7 - A typical Charlie performance
Berge 7 - A unique player, he often looks as if he has lost control of the ball but doesn't lose it.
Cullen 8** - One of the few players in the squad who comes away with credit. Constantly plays the simple pass to keep the game moving only for the receiver to lose it or choose a poor pass.
Vitinho 7 - If being marked on effort this lad would be 9+, far better in the advanced role and if his final ball was better he wouldn't be a Burnley player
Odobert 5 - Surprisingly quiet and when in a good position to shoot, he often takes a touch which loses any advantage. Confidence I think is lacking.
Bruun Larsen 5 - Apart from the free kick, the same as Odobert.
Fofana 4 - I though we had a new cult hero after the Fulham game but yesterday showed how deluded I was.

Amdouni 4 - Never got into the game at all

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:13 pm

A typical Charlie Taylor performance, laboured up and down the left, put one good cross in all game, rest were poor. Turned his back on shot for 2nd goal, I’ll go with a solid 4/10.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 188 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:21 pm

I didn’t go to the match but saw the highlights and I am surprised nobody else has mentioned up to now Taylor’s cowardice in turning his back and creating the deflection that wrong footed Trafford for Bournemouth’s second. He did the same vs Arsenal for their fourth and he’s not the only player in the defence to have done the same this season. It seems to be acceptable under the present regime to sacrifice a goal rather than catch one in the nuts, guts or kisser.

No guts or commitment is one of the reasons we are so adrift and for the lack of identification with this current team.
This user liked this post: NL Claret

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:06 pm
We are absolutely crying out for it SPT - can even play a slightly lower line if needed.

I've said it before i'd even try Muric, Ekdal and Delcroix at this point (if Beyer isn't fit) - all far better ball players than the current back three and I think like for like are right now better and more suited for our team.
Not sure about 3/5 at the back except against the better sides but something I've done to death on here is that I don't understand our refusal to try 433. That defensive core, two fullbacks who can push up probably Taylor and Roberts, midfield 3 of Berge, a runner, a playmaker (any 2 of Cullen, Brownhill, JBG, Massengo), and either two wingers who can go either way (Benson, Zaroury, Larsen, Odobert take your pick) and a physical striker (Foster, or if he wasnt on loan Wout), or two wide forwards/inverted wingers and a striker who drops back/false 9 (Foster, Amdouni)
Extra body in midfield for support which also provides cover for a Beyer lung buster run and gives extra options to balls from the back into midfield. Still got pace up top and have two midfielders with the ability to step up to support the attack when needed, but accepting we'll get less possession than last year so playing for a counter attack more.
I keep saying it because it keeps going untried and I'm sure it would be at least no worse than how we've done.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:21 pm
I didn’t go to the match but saw the highlights and I am surprised nobody else has mentioned up to now Taylor’s cowardice in turning his back and creating the deflection that wrong footed Trafford for Bournemouth’s second. He did the same vs Arsenal for their fourth and he’s not the only player in the defence to have done the same this season. It seems to be acceptable under the present regime to sacrifice a goal rather than catch one in the nuts, guts or kisser.

No guts or commitment is one of the reasons we are so adrift and for the lack of identification with this current team.
Mentioned this on the Trafford thread and the post above yours. Maybe some players are bomb proof and others taking all the stick? The turning his back really wouldn’t have happened under the previous regime. He should have watched the ball and had a more of a solid block on it.
This user liked this post: ClaretLoup

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:16 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:57 pm
Not sure about 3/5 at the back except against the better sides but something I've done to death on here is that I don't understand our refusal to try 433. That defensive core, two fullbacks who can push up probably Taylor and Roberts, midfield 3 of Berge, a runner, a playmaker (any 2 of Cullen, Brownhill, JBG, Massengo), and either two wingers who can go either way (Benson, Zaroury, Larsen, Odobert take your pick) and a physical striker (Foster, or if he wasnt on loan Wout), or two wide forwards/inverted wingers and a striker who drops back/false 9 (Foster, Amdouni)
Extra body in midfield for support which also provides cover for a Beyer lung buster run and gives extra options to balls from the back into midfield. Still got pace up top and have two midfielders with the ability to step up to support the attack when needed, but accepting we'll get less possession than last year so playing for a counter attack more.
I keep saying it because it keeps going untried and I'm sure it would be at least no worse than how we've done.
I didn't suggest three at the back - I suggested our back three as in goalkeeper + two centre halves (little confusing with my terminology, apologies)
This user liked this post: spt_claret

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:27 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:16 pm
I didn't suggest three at the back - I suggested our back three as in goalkeeper + two centre halves (little confusing with my terminology, apologies)
My own fault, misread your post entirely