The objective for the rest of the season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Re: The objective for the rest of the season

Post by superdimitri » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:23 am

We'll start winning when we know for sure we are down. Then the pressure will be off and we can play without fear again.

We should be aiming to finish as high as we can anyway to get more money. I don't think Kompany will know for sure who is going to start and go until the summer. The fact is we will have to let some go if they want to and if we get big bids in for some players they'll go too.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:45 am

If we do reach 20 points I’m really looking forward to the new thread and special graphics of the “6 worst sides in Premier League History”.

The worst 5 league sides is a topic that has been discussed a lot. There’s endless debates on sky sports about this and I believe Netflix are making a blockbuster fly on the wall drama about this. Di Caprio is being lined up to play Paul Jewell and Pacino is playing Billy Davies.

turbo5
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Post by turbo5 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:14 am

For me the objective is to stop the spiral slide down the league/leagues . It happens to bigger clubs than ourselves look at Sunderland /Leeds and even ourselves when we dropped from the old 1st Division down the leagues.
A football team is much bigger than the 11 players on the pitch that majority of us judge them against.

I personally struggle to see this confidence void team storm the Championship next season and have fears we may be at the wrong end of the table, a poor start and the lack of confidence could easily carry on. We haven't a clue on the dynamics in the dressing room and training grounds , is VK that nice soft spoken articulate person we hear on TV or is he a stubborn clueless ex player living on his past reputation who happened to get lucky in the lower leagues. Any remnants of the Dyche era has now been removed bar one or two players . The all modus operandi will have changed within the club including the owner manager investors players and staff This is now a VK/AP club using their own teams and methods.

The experiment or whatever strategy VK and AP have introduced is clearly not working at this level, are they going to continuously put their hand in the fire and burn their fingers like we have seen game after game this season or will they change something. It's akin to a gambler sticking on the black ball and the white keeps winning but they stick with the black ball hoping it will come good. The same could be said about VK !

The business side of the club will need work, firstly for me it is to retain the fan base, It might not be important in the PL with other revenues but the lower the league the more fan dependant you become . I think we will retain majority of fans next season regardless of results, Mainly loyalty to our town team club an sticking with them but also the fear they would miss out on another season like the previous championship winning season, but failure to perform maybe a defeat or two from our rivals will see a massive dive in the coming seasons. Let's not forget even the most die hard disappeared in the 80's when we were down to 2000 fans.
The investors in the club are seeing their shares/assets drop like a stone, the PL revenues will drop substantially , the business model they were shown and the man to do it aren't performing how long will it be before they are on AP door wanting change. Will they keep their invest or want a fire sale to recoup their investments.
You measure the strength and success of the club in bad times like you do any business, its easy when the times are good and you are waving and fist pumping fans but can they over come it , rebuild and get back on track with a plan to challenge again ? only time will tell

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:03 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:23 am
We'll start winning when we know for sure we are down. Then the pressure will be off and we can play without fear again.

We should be aiming to finish as high as we can anyway to get more money. I don't think Kompany will know for sure who is going to start and go until the summer. The fact is we will have to let some go if they want to and if we get big bids in for some players they'll go too.
I wish I could agree with you on this. However, this squad aren’t capable of winning even when the pressure is off.
When that capital R goes next to Burnley FC on the Premier League table, nothing will change. We will still get humped in the remaining games.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:44 pm
VK simply has to get more than 19 points; we do not want to be known as one of the five worst teams in PL history.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/02/worst ... gue-teams/
https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/09/lowes ... e-history/

What an absolute disaster this year is, we are a shadow of the team we were this time last year.
A bit embarrassing I agree but if Burnley are aiming at being a yo yo club then it doesn’t really matter I suppose.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2173 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:09 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:45 am
If we do reach 20 points I’m really looking forward to the new thread and special graphics of the “6 worst sides in Premier League History”.

The worst 5 league sides is a topic that has been discussed a lot. There’s endless debates on sky sports about this and I believe Netflix are making a blockbuster fly on the wall drama about this. Di Caprio is being lined up to play Paul Jewell and Pacino is playing Billy Davies.
Heard Michael Caine has a cameo as Stan Ternent as well - looking forward to it!

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:16 am

Win a few games and not to finish below Sheff Utd. That's how low the bar is.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:17 am

South West Claret. wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:08 am
A bit embarrassing I agree but if Burnley are aiming at being a yo yo club then it doesn’t really matter I suppose.
That served west brom well for awhile it's been a few years now in the wilderness. You just aren't guaranteed to keep bouncing back I think more than a few people will be in for a shock. it's the same sort of people that back a season instant return that were also convinced the PL would be easy. A deluded correlation is in existence.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:18 am

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:16 am
'El Crapico' on the 20th April is the game. Must not lose.
This user liked this post: Poulton-le-Claret

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 am

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:16 am
You certainly wouldn’t be able to limbo dance under it pal! :lol:
This user liked this post: Poulton-le-Claret

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:54 am

Asking for a couple of clean sheets and getting ourselves organised defensively should be the least we are entitled to expect before the end of the season.
Scoring goals and winning games would probably be setting the bar a bit too high.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:34 pm

Three more points to at least put this to bed :D
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am

One thing we have generally improved is knowing a bit better when to kick it out of play rather than play a risky pass. It's been good to see players playing the ball out of play or long balls rather than encouraging the opposition more.

We can save the Man City play out the back at all costs style play for fixtures when we are clear favorites.

I know it's a cliche but I honestly don't think some of the very best managers in the world could do what they do with a more limited budget. Pep couldn't play the way he wants to if he were our manager. It's a very different game when 90% of the time you're the favorite.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:36 am

For me it rests on forests deduction. Luton have spurs, arsenal and man City in 3 of their next 4. If forest get 6 points that puts then 2 ahead of us with them coming to the turf last game.

If at a minimum we can take 6 points from our next 4 (Chelsea, wolves, Everton, Brighton) with sheff united the 5th game, It's not beyond the realms of possibility we're in the mix last handful of games.

Longsidejono
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Longsidejono » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:38 am

Biggest objective for me is to give the flag wavers a rest who’s told them to start waving them 10 mins before the players walk out poor kids are knackered by the time they walk out 😂

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:49 am

superdimitri wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am
I know it's a cliche but I honestly don't think some of the very best managers in the world could do what they do with a more limited budget. Pep couldn't play the way he wants to if he were our manager. It's a very different game when 90% of the time you're the favorite.
You’re probably right in that he couldn’t play the way he wanted with our squad. I would hazard a guess though that he’d have realised that after a couple of games and tried something else.

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:20 am

We’ve just got 4 points from our last 2 games. Muric is back in goal. There’s a good chance that Forest will get deducted points and we have them at home in the last game. I remain hopeful that we can do it. Hopeful, not confident ! I’m not sure what I’d prefer though, an exciting end to the season and staying up or going down and trying to reproduce last season’s form
This user liked this post: houseboy

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:22 am

willsclarets wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:36 am
For me it rests on forests deduction. Luton have spurs, arsenal and man City in 3 of their next 4. If forest get 6 points that puts then 2 ahead of us with them coming to the turf last game.

If at a minimum we can take 6 points from our next 4 (Chelsea, wolves, Everton, Brighton) with sheff united the 5th game, It's not beyond the realms of possibility we're in the mix last handful of games.
Absolutely rests on forest, big 3 pts yesterday and such a shame we couldn't see it through last week. Big ask but it's huge that we take 3 pts from both Everton and forest, but at least I feel that's possible with muric 🤞he stays in, yes could still be mistakes in him, but feel much more confident with him than without him.

morninbob
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by morninbob » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:35 am

5 wins and 1 draw, beating Both Everton and florist would give us a chance.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:45 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:13 pm
Planning for next season in the Championship starts now. So the priority is undoubtedly deciding who stays and who gets the bullet.

And yes, that includes the manager and his staff.
Big decision for AP, I'd say.
There is absolutely no decision to be made about the manager. If we are going down who better to be in charge than the man who walked us easily into the PL last season? Have people so easily forgotten what we did in the Championship under this man? We strolled to an (almost) record breaking championship eventually won at Ewood. We played football rarely if ever seen at that level.
Have people forgotten that under Dyche we went straight back down but came straight back up by keeping faith in him. I really don’t understand what goes on in some people’s heads at times.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie taio NewClaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:51 am

Whether do-able or not, and regardless of whether Forest get any deduction the aim should be to gain six points on them in the next eight matches.

That would leave us going into the last game a win away from going above them at the end of the season.

It's as simple as that.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:57 am

Would have thought the objective was to stay up this season.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:58 am

houseboy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:45 am
There is absolutely no decision to be made about the manager. If we are going down who better to be in charge than the man who walked us easily into the PL last season? Have people so easily forgotten what we did in the Championship under this man? We strolled to an (almost) record breaking championship eventually won at Ewood. We played football rarely if ever seen at that level.
Have people forgotten that under Dyche we went straight back down but came straight back up by keeping faith in him. I really don’t understand what goes on in some people’s heads at times.
This is certainly the approach the Board should, and I would hope, take. Kompany deserves the chance to learn much needed lessons to take into next season. If we get relegated and we don't start the season well, he'll obviously come under pressure but, again, he deserves the chance after a remarkable and overachieving Championship season. The majority of supporters will continue to back him in the meantime.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:00 am

Consolidate.
We're still going down, but relegation playing like we have the last few weeks please. We need some positivity to take into next season.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 am

houseboy wrote:
Bang on.
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy NewClaret Darnhill Claret

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am

Really pleased to see Cullen back in the team, and now Muric.

Hopefully a consistent starting 11, and the building of familiarity and patterns in our play again will give us a head start going into next season.

After the Palace debacle, I was erring on Kompany out, as I thought he had lost the dressing room a little.

The last 2 games have given some encouragement.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 am

Now that common sense seems to have been established, eg Muric in goal , Fofarna ( excuse spelling) up front , Berge being Berge at last, Foster fit, let’s give it a good old go to the last game and see where that gets us.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:47 am

houseboy wrote:
Honestly have no idea what has been going on through some fans minds this year. You summarise the situation perfectly.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 430 times
Has Liked: 4571 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:54 am

My somewhat optimistic prediction after 19 games was 45 points but am now down to a maximum of 34 points :o :o

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:56 am

TsarBomba wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am

Hopefully a consistent starting 11, and the building of familiarity and patterns in our play again will give us a head start going into next season.

After the Palace debacle, I was erring on Kompany out, as I thought he had lost the dressing room a little.

They certainly have done and it's brought everyone back on side I feel.

That's the sort of thing I was alluding to in the OP but now... crikey get a point (or more) at Chelsea and who knows?

Dare to dream eh?
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:03 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:29 am

That’s why it’s really important that decision makers in board rooms don’t panic and come to the wrong conclusions. In any

I just hope we can use the next nine games to:

- develop our players. Esteve looked very good yesterday, but made an error for the free kick. As did Vitinho, but gave the ball away cheaply a few times. I’d just like to see every one of them to use this time to improve their game.

- rebuild some of the atmosphere and bond between the players and fans so we can go in to next season with a bit of optimism.

- finish with a more rounded team that looks more solid at the back, more threatening at set pieces, back in our old shape, etc.

- a bit more game time for Benny when the times right.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:01 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:49 am
You’re probably right in that he couldn’t play the way he wanted with our squad. I would hazard a guess though that he’d have realised that after a couple of games and tried something else.
Maybe, but there's a big trend with all the best managers to stick to the way they want to play, to keep their own philosophy rather than to change. Especially not drastically change.

Kompany has changed our system. The first obvious move was to a 4-4-2. But as I said in other threads, with the way Berge and Cullen play together and our better performances recently I do wonder if he would have been better just sticking to the original system rather than asking our players to play out of their comfort zone.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4108 times
Has Liked: 6591 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:22 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:17 pm
Time to drop those who aren’t going to be here next season. He will know deep down who will want out, and we all know that Assignon and Fofana won’t be here already.

Reintegrate those binned off, and give others who we will be relying on a go. There is nothing whatsoever now gained from playing (say) Amdouni if he wants out in the summer, or Bruun-Larsen if his loan is not an obligatory purchase. Focus on Burnley FC and its future and not these players who are nowhere near good enough anyway.
Whilst I agree in principle with most of this, the reintegrations will be difficult, if not impossible.

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

Still some questions but largely there's more to be positive about after the last couple.

Interestingly the players looked up for it big time after the final whistle. They looked like players who did believe they might do it.

Keep the same starting lineup (I'm a bit ambivalent about Odobert but this side is doing alright) and give ut a right go. Our objectives should be simple - catch the team above. Then go for the one after that.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret Darnhill Claret

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:55 am

just go out there and give it your best and see what we get and after Forest we're docked 4 pts who knows and with Everton case being heard in April again who knows the outcome and then we have a little matter of Forest last game of the season so who knows...

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:55 am
just go out there and give it your best and see what we get and after Forest we're docked 4 pts who knows and with Everton case being heard in April again who knows the outcome and then we have a little matter of Forest last game of the season so who knows...
assuming it ends up like that - with the last game of the season being the relegation decider... Unless the decision to punish Forest includes a "you will not take any further action by accepting the reduced points deduction" I can see them taking legal action against the Premier League if they go down.

and in answer to the OP - try and win every game right? one game at a time...
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 pm

The objective for the rest of the season is to continue to improve our performances, as we have done for the last several games, just as it was at the beginning of the season. The other objective is to improve our results and points tally and our final objective is to try and improve our position in the Premier league table. Think that covers it.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:37 am

Well we can put this to bed.

Small wins.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:39 am

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:37 am
Well we can put this to bed.

Small wins.
Mad what a change of keeper can do for a team...

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:43 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:39 am
Mad what a change of keeper can do for a team...
I agree-ish, because he’s also cost us points in two big games and even yesterday he mixed in some lapses with some brilliant saves. We may not have stayed up, but we’d probably have more points had Muric been in goal. He’s not the only factor in our recent upturn though. Esteve, Assignon and the reintroduction of Cullen (and his return to form), have all improved us.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:43 am
I agree-ish, because he’s also cost us points in two big games and even yesterday he mixed in some lapses with some brilliant saves. We may not have stayed up, but we’d probably have more points had Muric been in goal. He’s not the only factor in our recent upturn though. Esteve, Assignon and the reintroduction of Cullen (and his return to form), have all improved us.
He's a pretty ginormous one, even with the cock ups. The team is much more spread out in possession and we can stretch the pitch and pass out (minus the odd cockup) to much greater effect. Muric gets the most out of Cullen as well for me and their partnership helps get us ticking.

Can chalk the uptick in form down to a few factors but the bottom lines is that before the change of keeper we had 20 losses out of 28, with the change we have just 1 out of 7.

I know it doesn't work exactly like that but to me it's pretty significant.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:57 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am
He's a pretty ginormous one, even with the cock ups. The team is much more spread out in possession and we can stretch the pitch and pass out (minus the odd cockup) to much greater effect. Muric gets the most out of Cullen as well for me and their partnership helps get us ticking.

Can chalk the uptick in form down to a few factors but the bottom lines is that before the change of keeper we had 20 losses out of 28, with the change we have just 1 out of 7.

I know it doesn't work exactly like that but to me it's pretty significant.
We’re definitely better on the ball with Muric in goal and he also commands his box far better than Trafford does at this stage in career.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 982 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:21 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am

None of those 7 matches were against teams in the upper echelons of the PL Table and 3 were against sides currently in the bottom 6. The next 3 fixtures against sides currently in the top 7 will give a truer picture of whether the apparent improvement in the level of performance can be translated into taking points off the better sides in this league.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:28 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:21 pm
None of those 7 matches were against teams in the upper echelons of the PL Table and 3 were against sides currently in the bottom 6. The next 3 fixtures against sides currently in the top 7 will give a truer picture of whether the apparent improvement in the level of performance can be translated into taking points off the better sides in this league.
We could lose the next three and i'd still say the same because the lose % would still be half of what it was previously.

Our season also isn't defined by wins/results against teams in the 'upper echelons'. The top three teams are nearing a 70% win rate and Villa/Spurs in 4th/5th are well over 50% win rate - they all pretty much beat the teams around us home and away regularly.

Our season is defined by consistently getting points from teams around us/teams from 7th/8th down.
Last edited by CoolClaret on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:21 pm
We’ve been better against the lower sides too since Muric returned to be fair.

It’s actually 1 loss in 6 since Muric returned. Trafford was in goal in the draw at West Ham.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:31 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm
We’ve been better against the lower sides too since Muric returned to be fair.

It’s actually 1 loss in 6 since Muric returned. Trafford was in goal in the draw at West Ham.
Apologies, you're quite correct.. I saw that (1 in 7) online and didn't double check it - 1 in 6 then - let's hope this run is continued at Old Trafford.