Jumping ship at the end of the season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Jumping ship at the end of the season

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:09 pm

Much has been said about our squad and how some players will want away.However imo we have players who will rise up to make a good side in the Championship
Scott Twine, Luke McNally .Anass Zaroury,Micheal Mellon Benny,Ekdal Al Dakiel.Berge.Cullen Taylor.Odebert.O'Shea,Esteve,Muric, Beyer
Costelloe Delcroix.Vitinho.Jayrod.Amdouni.Koleosho,Foster.
Roberts, Trafford, Wout.Ramsey Tressor and Brownhill can be sold along with others who feel they don't want to stay, even though their efforts or lack of them relegated us.
Another season long for Fofana makes sense as he can thrive in the Championship. We signed players on long deals and so are in a strong position to come back up again.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Re: Jumping ship at the end of the season

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:12 pm

Who's gonna be the glue holding it all together, setting standards and getting the new lads up to speed with what it means to play for BFC?
These 2 users liked this post: Milltown1882 IanMcL

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:16 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:09 pm
Much has been said about our squad and how some players will want away.However imo we have players who will rise up to make a good side in the Championship
Scott Twine, Luke McNally .Anass Zaroury,Micheal Mellon Benny,Ekdal Al Dakiel.Berge.Cullen Taylor.Odebert.O'Shea,Esteve,Muric, Beyer
Roberts, Trafford, Wout.Ramsey Tressor and Brownhill can be sold along with others who feel they don't want to stay, even though their efforts or lack of them relegated us.
Another season long for Fofana makes sense as he can thrive in the Championship. We signed players on long deals and so are in a strong position to come back up again.
Who the hell is going to want to buy Trafford!? 😆

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 856 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:16 pm

I hope there’s a season three on the doc for the journey to League 1

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:18 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Twine and McNally will never be good enough for top 6 championship never mind top 2

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:25 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:12 pm
Who's gonna be the glue holding it all together, setting standards and getting the new lads up to speed with what it means to play for BFC?
Cullen

TomLH2000
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by TomLH2000 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:25 pm

Costelloe? No.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:27 pm

We are going to be relying on Cullen a lot!

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:28 pm

What it means to play for Burnley?

I think their agents will sort that.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:34 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Nobody's buying Tresor as it is, even we might not be with how he's disappeared, got me hoping the mythical appearance clause hasn' been triggered.
Trafford, I'd be amazed if anyone wanted him but supportive press could get us a small profit on him. Can hope anyway.
Wout we won't get anything for, he'll disappear on another loan for wages paid in all likelihood.
Ramsey's injured for the foreseeable, won't get money on him certainly won't get money back for at least 18 months, he needs to recover, then show he's fully recovered in the Championship before we can even break even.

Benson & Muric more likely to go, I'd expect a small profit on Muric, maybe breakeven on Benson, which is mad to me given 12 months ago but he's spent a season sat on the bench or treatment table his value will have dropped.

Koleosho file under Ramsey, needs to recover and prove he's recovered, safest chance of a profit given his fee though.

Berge will have suitors, we might turn a small profit but it'll be hard with how we've struggled, he had a PL season with Sheffield before we signed him and he's older now.

Odobert I figured we'd make a good profit on but he's dropped off and his effort levels concern me. We should still make a profit though.

Amdouni, as frustrating and AWOL as he often is, has been our joint top scorer. Might not make much but would hopefully make most of our money back or maybe a marginal profit if very lucky.

I think we'll need to sell to rebuild yet again, but I'm not sure we'll generate sufficient money back to do so the way we're hoping while also servicing the costs of those transfer fees and safeguarding against the possibility of not getting promoted- we have 2 years max to bounce back, and year 2 gets much harder than year 1, it's irresponsible to not plan for the worst case scenario even if you don't expect it.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:36 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Fofana is on loan from Chelsea. No option to buy, that I'm aware of. (Perhaps you meant "another season loan..." but that will depend on Chelsea's plans in the first place.

Isn't JayRod ooc at the end of this season? I'm not sure he'd be offered a new contract.

I'd expect James Trafford to be our goalkeeper again next season.

I understand Wout Weghorst ooc at the end of this season. It's a pity we didn't keep him in the squad this season, but that's how things go.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:41 pm

Cork, Taylor, Brownhill all out of contract this summer?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:48 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:41 pm
Cork, Taylor, Brownhill all out of contract this summer?
+ Jay, JBG - though JBG and it's rumoured Brownhill have a years option

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:53 pm

Plus Obafemi....presume he's been a regular starter at Millwall?

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:58 pm

I hope whoever is in charge of selling players is more qualified than whoever bought this squad …

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:59 pm

claretfern wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:53 pm
Plus Obafemi....presume he's been a regular starter at Millwall?
Hope he gets a hat trick next week
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

Mark the Claret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Mark the Claret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 pm

Who will want to buy these want away players, no one decent, BFC will still be their best option, personally I would be trying to offload most of them.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:23 pm

Roberts
McNally
Bastien
Brownhill
Twine
Weghorst
Obafemi

Try and get between 20m-30m combined for all these would be fantasies business

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:37 pm

Dream on

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:39 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:48 pm
Cork will go. Watched the training videos in the week and he looked horrendously slow (unless someone was holding him back, in which case I apologise to him). I know that’s not the best of things to judge him on but he barely played last season or this, and he’s our highest paid player (or one of) so I can’t see him being renewed. Ditto Jay.

Think we’ll hold on to JBG, who still looks good in my opinion, and Brownhill unless he gets an offer in summer. Have a feeling Everton might come in for him as a cheap replacement for Onana when he goes.

Charlie will be a huge miss. He and Berge (maybe Esteve now) are the only ones that look comfortable at this level.

We’ll miss all of

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:50 am

next season as to be Berg and Cullen in midfield and Foster up top after that take your pick who's left because they don't look up for a fight in the Championship and personally think we will struggle..

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:13 am

'what it means to play for Burnley"

This is professional sport, unless you are someone local where it might feel a bit special, or you've spent a long time at the club where you've developed a connection with the fans most players don't give one iota of a toss where they play, they'll go to whoever pays the most or gives them the biggest opportunity to win (very often the same place)

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:39 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:16 pm
Who the hell is going to want to buy Trafford!? 😆
Despite everything, I think Trafford is a saleable asset, albeit at probably a lot less than we paid. The one that concerns me the most (and there’s plenty to choose from) is Tresor. I don’t see a solution, or a possible exit out of this disastrous signing.

I was hoping the rumours about the club avoiding triggering the necessity to buy were true, but his place on the bench yesterday probably blows that faint hope out the water.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:03 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:13 am
'what it means to play for Burnley"

This is professional sport, unless you are someone local where it might feel a bit special, or you've spent a long time at the club where you've developed a connection with the fans most players don't give one iota of a toss where they play, they'll go to whoever pays the most or gives them the biggest opportunity to win (very often the same place)
Fully aware of all of that Vegas - but that's half the problem isn't it and is exactly some of the concerns that I (and others) had about this 'model' - ultimately fostering this sort of blasé feeling in the squad, which imo is really apparent.

When you're signing players with the view of having them here for no more than two seasons or so then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out with an ever revolving changing room etc that there's gonna be some games showing disjointed performances.

Even Brighton who's model we're apparently 'emulating' they've had long-standing players like Gross, Dunk, Welbeck, Lallana etc as a constant in their lineups.

Having players that want to be here and here to play for Burnley is how we've always punched above our weight over the years imo - the absolute last thing we need to be is a club that has players that reign it in, shirk challenges.

The players don't have to be local lads, just a few top pros that have been here for more than a season, that sort of thing.

It's madness what VK has done this year in all honesty - the cynic in me is it's a good excuse to fallback on citing youth/inexperience but at the end of the day these are all his signings 🤷
This user liked this post: ervi34

MeeActon1
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by MeeActon1 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:31 am

CoolClaret wrote:
They do, but thankfully in the clubs favour.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Post by beddie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:11 am

To be honest I’m not bothered who goes. All I can hope for is a new centre back, an athlete, a leader of men who gets stuck in and organises these Fanny’s who look like they’ve never had a rollocking in their lives. I’ve never known a season where we’ve had no leader or a team that’s shown some fight. As Big Sam calls it all this “tippy tappy” footballs alright If your a top six club but for clubs like ours it’s more about players fighting for the cause and I haven’t seen it this season.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:09 pm

I genuinely didn’t realise this was an option, but it’s a nice surprise after this season. Where are we all jumping ship to?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:00 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:03 am
Fully aware of all of that Vegas - but that's half the problem isn't it and is exactly some of the concerns that I (and others) had about this 'model' - ultimately fostering this sort of blasé feeling in the squad, which imo is really apparent.

When you're signing players with the view of having them here for no more than two seasons or so then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out with an ever revolving changing room etc that there's gonna be some games showing disjointed performances.

Even Brighton who's model we're apparently 'emulating' they've had long-standing players like Gross, Dunk, Welbeck, Lallana etc as a constant in their lineups.

Having players that want to be here and here to play for Burnley is how we've always punched above our weight over the years imo - the absolute last thing we need to be is a club that has players that reign it in, shirk challenges.

The players don't have to be local lads, just a few top pros that have been here for more than a season, that sort of thing.

It's madness what VK has done this year in all honesty - the cynic in me is it's a good excuse to fallback on citing youth/inexperience but at the end of the day these are all his signings 🤷
all very fair points mate, can't argue with any of that and I posted about our impending problems in July before a ball was kicked. Sadly obvious what was going to happen

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:22 pm

Last time we went down we had to sell £60m of first team players and let other experienced players leave on frees to help reduce the wage bill accordingly to more suit the budget for a championship season.

Given we have spent pretty much all of the money the club would receive for a season in the premier league on our current squad, and not put some to the side for the scenario of a possible relegation, I would assume we need to do something similar again. So anyone who wants to jump ship will be allowed to if they can bring in a fee. I wouldn't be surprised if other are pushed by the club because they can command a fee (Berge, Foster, and maybe Brownhill in this category). But given last time we got £60m+ for 4 players (Cornet, Collins, McNeil & Pope) which I cannot see us repeating with many, if any of the current squad, and the fact the squad is bloated anyway I think we will see a lot of departures.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:06 pm

Kompany and Trafford going will be a good start.
These 2 users liked this post: alwaysaclaret Superjohnnyfrancis

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 443 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:34 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Doubt the options will be taken, they'll all be gone I reckon, kompany doesn't really want player's from the dyche era at the club, he'll take the opportunity to clear these out this summer I expect.

Mansfield claret
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Mansfield claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm

alwaysaclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:34 am
Doubt the options will be taken, they'll all be gone I reckon, kompany doesn't really want player's from the dyche era at the club, he'll take the opportunity to clear these out this summer I expect.
Probably because they are all getting on a bit age wise?

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 pm

Sleeping Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:22 pm
Last time we went down we had to sell £60m of first team players and let other experienced players leave on frees to help reduce the wage bill accordingly to more suit the budget for a championship season.

Given we have spent pretty much all of the money the club would receive for a season in the premier league on our current squad, and not put some to the side for the scenario of a possible relegation, I would assume we need to do something similar again. So anyone who wants to jump ship will be allowed to if they can bring in a fee. I wouldn't be surprised if other are pushed by the club because they can command a fee (Berge, Foster, and maybe Brownhill in this category). But given last time we got £60m+ for 4 players (Cornet, Collins, McNeil & Pope) which I cannot see us repeating with many, if any of the current squad, and the fact the squad is bloated anyway I think we will see a lot of departures.

Makes sense. Although it looks like we’re already committed to buy Tresor and Esteve- that’s the best part of £30m so any offers are likely to get a green light
This user liked this post: Sleeping Cat

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:23 pm

I’m expecting around 20 movements this summer.

12-13 out and 7-8 in.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Mansfield claret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
Kompany extending JBG’s contract, playing Brownhill most of the season over his own signing Cullen and playing Charlie all year is pretty good evidence Kompany doesn’t have anything against Dyche signings.

I think keeping Josh and JBG would be a good idea. Both have different qualities.

Although I think Everton might go for Josh as a low cost alternative to Onana as they’ll definitely need to buy cheaply and you won’t find as much Prem experience for what Josh would cost in the final year of his contract.

I’d keep Jay as well, but he would need to take a big cut to Championship wages and I’d hope he’d do that for his home town club for a year, but maybe the US will beckon.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:29 pm
Kompany extending JBG’s contract, playing Brownhill most of the season over his own signing Cullen and playing Charlie all year is pretty good evidence Kompany doesn’t have anything against Dyche signings.

I think keeping Josh and JBG would be a good idea. Both have different qualities.

Although I think Everton might go for Josh as a low cost alternative to Onana as they’ll definitely need to buy cheaply and you won’t find as much Prem experience for what Josh would cost in the final year of his contract.

I’d keep Jay as well, but he would need to take a big cut to Championship wages and I’d hope he’d do that for his home town club for a year, but maybe the US will beckon.
Going from onana to Brownhill has got to be one of the biggest downgrades ever haha
This user liked this post: Superjohnnyfrancis

Sleeping Cat

Post by Sleeping Cat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:47 pm

Mansfield claret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
They're also likely to be at the top end of the wage bill, so an easy option to help help reduce this.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:06 pm

Any reason why Mellon isn't in the Burnley players shown on the club website who are on loan at other clubs?
41 players named but can't see MM.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:14 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:39 pm
Cork will go. Watched the training videos in the week and he looked horrendously slow (unless someone was holding him back, in which case I apologise to him). I know that’s not the best of things to judge him on but he barely played last season or this, and he’s our highest paid player (or one of) so I can’t see him being renewed. Ditto Jay.
Cork hasn’t started a league game this season but started 26 and made 13 sub appearances last season in the Championship. Barnes also played in 39. They were huge influences last season.

mikeS
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:18 pm

Just seen young Mellon. - he's on the under 21 group list on the official site.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:14 pm
Cork hasn’t started a league game this season but started 26 and made 13 sub appearances last season in the Championship. Barnes also played in 39. They were huge influences last season.
That’s surprised me Tony, I don’t recall Cork playing so much. Or Barnes actually.

I’d perhaps keep both for experience if they were willing to take true championship salaries but I’d assume they will look for a new challenge.

Sleeping Cat

Post by Sleeping Cat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:23 pm

Personally, I would expect all player out of contract in the summer to not be renewed, including those with options. Easy way to reduce the wage bill from higher earners.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3805 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:30 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:12 pm
Maybe the ones with the experience of what it takes to get 100 points in the same division, people think age = experience, that is not the case.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm
Going from onana to Brownhill has got to be one of the biggest downgrades ever haha
Yeah, I mean Onana is that good he doesn’t even get into Everton’s starting XI every week…..

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:40 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:30 pm
Maybe the ones with the experience of what it takes to get 100 points in the same division, people think age = experience, that is not the case.
I think you've answered a different question here. You're talking about experience, this is a question of personality/character.

You can't just get the right characters or personalities by winning stuff- you have to recruit them. How you ensure you get the right characters if you're recruiting based purely on data is a mystery to me, but it's no surprise we've ended up with Tresor's and Amdouni's really.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:56 pm

This will be an entertaining read in 12 months time.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:43 pm
That’s surprised me Tony, I don’t recall Cork playing so much. Or Barnes actually.

I’d perhaps keep both for experience if they were willing to take true championship salaries but I’d assume they will look for a new challenge.
I think you might find one of them was released last year and plays for Norwich
These 2 users liked this post: KateR mybloodisclaret

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3805 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:40 pm
I think you've answered a different question here. You're talking about experience, this is a question of personality/character.

You can't just get the right characters or personalities by winning stuff- you have to recruit them. How you ensure you get the right characters if you're recruiting based purely on data is a mystery to me, but it's no surprise we've ended up with Tresor's and Amdouni's really.
Winning games = right characters, same group starts losing = lack characters?

Doesn’t make sense sorry

All this over the top analysing and useless questions will soon be put to bed when we start winning games next season.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:41 pm

GK:
Muric Hope he stays will probably go.
Trafford – Forget all the debate about his performances, why, if VK wants a ball playing GK why did he buy Trafford?

LB
Assignon, Taylor

RB
Roberts, Vitinho

CB We Need 4 maybe 5 of these. Don’t mind who
Beyer / Esteve / Ekdal / AL Dakhil / O’Shea / McNally / Delcroix

DM Need 4, so
Cullen, + New Starter (Big Physical presence), Massengo, Egan Riley

AMC Any 2 of these
Berge, Ramsey, Twine, Brownhill, Amdouni, Gudmundsson (Don’t think quick enough for wing now)

LW Any 2 of these
Tresor, Odobert, Zaroury, Koleosho, Redmond, Churlinov

RW
Bruun Larsen, Benson

AT
Foster, Obafemi

Let go
Rodriguez, Weghorst

VK
Keep, just. But needs to hit the ground running and no signing tons of lightweight wingers if we happen to get back up.

So, 10+ out, 1 in. Easy this FM lark.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:23 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm
Winning games = right characters, same group starts losing = lack characters?

Doesn’t make sense sorry

All this over the top analysing and useless questions will soon be put to bed when we start winning games next season.
Amazing that you and NewClaret both seem to have missed that Barnes moved on.

Yeah exactly the same group, how many did Amdouni and Tresor get last year?

Oh- so not the same group then :lol: