REPORT: Yet another home defeat for the Clarets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

REPORT: Yet another home defeat for the Clarets

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:45 pm

Burnley v Bournemouth report

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/yet-anothe ... he-clarets
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies Cirrus_Minor KateR

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Re: REPORT: Yet another home defeat for the Clarets

Post by CleggHall » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:52 pm

“We are clearly not good enough for this league”.
Sums it up quite nicely.
This user liked this post: KateR

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:27 pm

Tony I just cannot believe fans pay to go in, claim they support our team then start chanting Muric's name whenever Trafford hesitates or makes a mistake. We do have some senseless morons. I have heard it myself at other games. Not his fault he is in the firing line, but yesterday he looked distinctly frightened and hacked off

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:27 pm
Tony I just cannot believe fans pay to go in, claim they support our team then start chanting Muric's name whenever Trafford hesitates or makes a mistake. We do have some senseless morons. I have heard it myself at other games. Not his fault he is in the firing line, but yesterday he looked distinctly frightened and hacked off
Absolutely and as well as destroying any confidence he may have left, it's playing with fire financially. As as been said though, he is not picking the team and our manager and his team will go down as the most stubborn I can remember in over 60 years.

Their biggest crime is not Trafford, its yet again playing only 2 proper centre midfielders, when even the blind horse with Stan's man on can see that the defense needs the protection. Cork should be sitting in front of the back 4 and letting Cullen and Berge create for a front 3 of attackers.

Saturday was our chance and changed nothing only to experiment with Oderbert in the 10 position and yet again leave the subs far too late.

We have to go in at half time without having conceded. Keep it tight and go for it after 70 minutes or so.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:55 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm
Absolutely and as well as destroying any confidence he may have left, it's playing with fire financially. As as been said though, he is not picking the team and our manager and his team will go down as the most stubborn I can remember in over 60 years.

Their biggest crime is not Trafford, its yet again playing only 2 proper centre midfielders, when even the blind horse with Stan's man on can see that the defense needs the protection. Cork should be sitting in front of the back 4 and letting Cullen and Berge create for a front 3 of attackers.

Saturday was our chance and changed nothing only to experiment with Oderbert in the 10 position and yet again leave the subs far too late.

We have to go in at half time without having conceded. Keep it tight and go for it after 70 minutes or so.
Agreed MATCH 27 and still tinkering with something that back fired

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 pm

Would Cullen have been offside if the ‘foul’ wasn’t given? I’ve not seen a replay but thought he may have been from my BL seat inline with the 6 yard box

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:14 pm

burnmark wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:06 pm
Would Cullen have been offside if the ‘foul’ wasn’t given? I’ve not seen a replay but thought he may have been from my BL seat inline with the 6 yard box
Just taken another look and he could well be in an offside position but it's Adam Smith who plays the ball and not JBL so couldn't have been offside.
This user liked this post: burnmark

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Someone said the other week it must be written into his contract he has to play if he’s fit. I laughed it off at first but the more he starts, the more you think it’s actually believable because it’s either sheer stubbornness or stupidity he continues to be selected.

burnmark
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 478 times

Post by burnmark » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:14 pm
Just taken another look and he could well be in an offside position but it's Adam Smith who plays the ball and not JBL so couldn't have been offside.
Possibly another reason why he edged towards giving the extremely soft foul.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1302 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:03 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm

I also agree. Said on Saturday that we should have 3 in midfield with Cullen and Cork protecting the defence and allowing Berg to get forward. Odebert was completely out of position and quite what Kompany was doing with Assignon and Taylor at times more forward than the wingers earlier in the game, god only knows. Turf Moor used to be my 'happy place', more like a trip to the dentist now.

Vim Fuego
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Vim Fuego » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:09 pm

"Record breaking eleventh home league defeat" - we just haven't turned up this season have we.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:21 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:03 pm
I also agree. Said on Saturday that we should have 3 in midfield with Cullen and Cork protecting the defence and allowing Berg to get forward. Odebert was completely out of position and quite what Kompany was doing with Assignon and Taylor at times more forward than the wingers earlier in the game, god only knows. Turf Moor used to be my 'happy place', more like a trip to the dentist now.
The times this season when we have looked very dangerous (even against top opposition) is when Berge is around the centre circle or in their half, surging forwards, and very few can get the ball off him as he protects it so well. Our coaches must be absolutely YES men as I cannot see VK/ Bellamy /Jackson all convinced Berge is better defensively

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 521 times

Re: REPORT: Yet another home defeat for the Claret

Post by beddie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 pm

Good Report, it mentions “ O’Shea somehow managed to let Justin Kluivert get onto it and he made absolutely no mistake in firing past James Trafford.”

From where I was it looked like Esteve was at fault and made no effort to go for the ball from which O’Shea had to try and cover his mistake. Esteve is no where near good enough.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2257 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 am

beddie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:07 pm
Good Report, it mentions “ O’Shea somehow managed to let Justin Kluivert get onto it and he made absolutely no mistake in firing past James Trafford.”

From where I was it looked like Esteve was at fault and made no effort to go for the ball from which O’Shea had to try and cover his mistake. Esteve is no where near good enough.
He's just an extremely raw, young lad that shouldn't be thrusted into playing games in the PL in a team that's struggling.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:49 am

Lots of possession but nothing points wise to show for it.

So very disappointing.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:54 am

Fair report Tony, with the chants for Muric for Trafford that's not good for him or the team it's because Vincent is the one selecting him week in week out i don't think Arteta would put up with it at Arsenal in fact he dropped one of keeper's after a few games if I'm right in thinking. It's a shame how the season as gone but that's life..

Murger
Been Liked: 1245 times
Has Liked: 847 times

Post by Murger » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:17 am

It’s another reason I’m not completely sold on Kompany repeating our promotion success next season.
We had a core group of experienced players to help the young ‘uns along. What experience will we have next season? VK has shown he’d rather sign a youngster than an experienced pro.
These 2 users liked this post: Clive 1960 Buxtonclaret

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:56 am

beddie wrote:

I think O Shea has been our best defender by far for the last few months but this goal was 100% his fault. He was watching the ball and allowed Kluivert to escape from him. Schoolboy stuff from O Shea.

Jjjack
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by Jjjack » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 am

I think the Muric chants are more aimed at Kompany than Trafford. As much as it is not his fault he's being picked, he's clearly not good enough (yet) either for this level or to play the way Kompany wants him to play, a better manager might have recognised this earlier on in the season and helped salvage some of Trafford's confidence which currently appears non-existent.
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:58 am

warksclaret wrote:
To be fair he's looked frightened and hacked off for most of the season.
You can't blame fans for chanting Muric as unhelpful as it is, you can't blame Trafford either. The fault lies with Kompany.

There is no surprise that VK cannot turn us into a decent team, parts of the engine are missing and weren't bought in the windows. What is surprising is VKs inability to try and show any improvement on the pitch at all. Week in week out, we look worse with every game and that alone is shocking, and worrying, because it highlights that he isn't in control. We are drifting both on and off the pitch, and without leadership we are shafted.

I've expressed many times that I believe VK has earned the right, to try and bring us back up next season. The longer this season goes on the more that belief is wavering. I think my mother in law could get a better tune out of our squad than Kompany is at the moment.
Part of that leadership has to be giving Muric a chance. It might not affect results one jot, but at least it will show that he is trying to turn us around. At the moment he just looks like a stubborn petulant kid who wants to have his own way at any cost to us.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:18 am

StayingDown4Ever wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:30 pm
Someone said the other week it must be written into his contract he has to play if he’s fit. I laughed it off at first but the more he starts, the more you think it’s actually believable because it’s either sheer stubbornness or stupidity he continues to be selected.
Or the owners of the analytics company used for recruitment stand to benefit financially from scouted players making first team appearances.....

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:30 am

beddie wrote:

Estève doesn't cover himself in glory and I don't think that helped O'Shea. Estève looks a long way from being good enough for this league to me.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:31 am

Jjjack wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:21 am
I think the Muric chants are more aimed at Kompany than Trafford.
Definitely, as are the Benson chants.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 am

Murger wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:17 am
It’s another reason I’m not completely sold on Kompany repeating our promotion success next season.
We had a core group of experienced players to help the young ‘uns along. What experience will we have next season? VK has shown he’d rather sign a youngster than an experienced pro.
Spot on Murger - people seem to forget the influence of players like Cork and Barnes in particular last season.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:34 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:30 am
Estève doesn't cover himself in glory and I don't think that helped O'Shea. Estève looks a long way from being good enough for this league to me.
He's another of our enormous pool of Centre Backs, not one of whom is good enough; yet coached by one of the finest defenders of recent years. Yet another baffling aspect of an entirely baffling season

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:43 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:34 am
He's another of our enormous pool of Centre Backs, not one of whom is good enough; yet coached by one of the finest defenders of recent years. Yet another baffling aspect of an entirely baffling season
I thought he looked reasonably OK at Liverpool but he's been awful since. I can't say we've improved our chances with the three January loan signings. O'Shea is the best of the lot but we are desperate for a good central defender.

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:46 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:34 am

Michael Jackson will be buzzing with that appraisal.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony randomclaret2

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:00 pm

I certainly hope they've already started preparing for next season, because we're not going to be in this league, a lot of work required in summer, therefore they should already have some idea regarding a few at the very least.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 598 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:29 am

Come on CT, cheer up, your reports are sounding more despondent each week and I look forward to them to cheer me up!

I just wonder if, or at what stage the players themselves mentally give up, and/or lose confidence in the management team etc……..can’t be much fun for them each week going out there and getting battered both on and off the pitch.……..

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:42 am

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:29 am
Come on CT, cheer up, your reports are sounding more despondent each week and I look forward to them to cheer me up!

I just wonder if, or at what stage the players themselves mentally give up, and/or lose confidence in the management team etc……..can’t be much fun for them each week going out there and getting battered both on and off the pitch.……..
My feeling is that it had already happened when we played Palace recently

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:48 pm

Jimmymaccer wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:29 am

I’ll be positive when there is something to be more positive about.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Jimmymaccer

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:22 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:00 pm
I certainly hope they've already started preparing for next season, because we're not going to be in this league, a lot of work required in summer, therefore they should already have some idea regarding a few at the very least.
The huge head start we had in preparing for this season didn’t do us much good.

KateR
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:57 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:22 pm
The huge head start we had in preparing for this season didn’t do us much good.
Very true, so are you advocating that there is no prep work to be done between now and the end of the season?

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:40 pm

I’m a big fan of being prepared. We obviously prepared very badly. If we hadn’t reported back very early for pre season I doubt the outcome would have been any different so in that respect it was a waste of time, effort and money. You’ve got to wonder what goes on in training too when there is no improvement week on week. The more I think about it we could do with a Director of Football to oversee the football side. I’m not sure we have someone doing this type of role and I don’t get the impression Pace and Co really have a handle on this. We have all these analysts and coaches but what is it actually achieving ? We had people in the dugout at the weekend looking at lap top screens in the final minutes. If we had no set piece coach would the outcome have been any different ? We might actually have achieved more on the pitch without them.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Theivley Pike
Been Liked: 6 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Theivley Pike » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:48 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:40 pm
I’m a big fan of being prepared. We obviously prepared very badly. If we hadn’t reported back very early for pre season I doubt the outcome would have been any different so in that respect it was a waste of time, effort and money. You’ve got to wonder what goes on in training too when there is no improvement week on week. The more I think about it we could do with a Director of Football to oversee the football side. I’m not sure we have someone doing this type of role and I don’t get the impression Pace and Co really have a handle on this. We have all these analysts and coaches but what is it actually achieving ? We had people in the dugout at the weekend looking at lap top screens in the final minutes. If we had no set piece coach would the outcome have been any different ? We might actually have achieved more on the pitch without them.
Pretty well hit the nail on the head Boss,I can remember last season VK saying as soon as we were assured of promotion what an advantage we had having all the extra time to plan for the Premiership.Luton probably had about 20 minutes.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:48 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:40 pm
Agreed glad im not the only one troubled by the manager looking at a laptop when the games going on in front of him.

And director of football makes sense but thats aruguably more important than the manager to get right as they have a lot of say which players come in, Can't see Kompany agreeing to one of those with all his army of analytics staff.

I'd prefer a clean sweep end of season ready for a new manager to come in that has experience of a higher level than we currently have. I think a knowledgable manager trumps a director of football and DOF can become a problem long term with disagreements about which players to buy etc.

We could always ask Fergie if he fancies a part time job :D
This user liked this post: Theivley Pike