Ekdal and Al-Dakhil

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Ekdal and Al-Dakhil

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:20 am

are they injured of just massively out of favour ?

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Re: Ekdal and Al-Dakhil

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:22 am

Their names didn't come out of the hat this week.

At least, that's how VK picks the subs, right?

🤔
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:26 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:22 am
Their names didn't come out of the hat this week.

At least, that's how VK picks the subs, right?

🤔
I thought it was dart at a dart board tbh :lol:

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:29 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:26 am
I thought it was dart at a dart board tbh :lol:
No, that's me with VK's face pinned to it this season!

:twisted:

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:18 am

Gone down the Black Hole with so many others. Will we ever see them again? I doubt it.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:24 am

Their stats were brilliant playing for a good team in a crap league , but when it comes to having to defend in the PL.........

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:47 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:24 am
Their stats were brilliant playing for a good team in a crap league , but when it comes to having to defend in the PL.........
This is the problem, we all got a bit carried away with performances that were very good but against poor opposition last year. Both AAD and Ekdal have struggled when they’ve played this year and have had calls to be dropped.

From what I’ve seen of Delcoix he looks really unorthodox and doesn’t give a lot of confidence, but has played quite well. Which I imagine is why Kompany is picking him!

StayingDown4Ever
Been Liked: 269 times
Has Liked: 161 times

Post by StayingDown4Ever » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:52 am

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:47 am
This is the problem, we all got a bit carried away with performances that were very good but against poor opposition last year. Both AAD and Ekdal have struggled when they’ve played this year and have had calls to be dropped.
We didn’t all get carried away. I remember scoffing at people saying AAD, Zaroury, Benson etc would all net us north of £30 million each.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am

I would be a bit put out if I was Ekdal.

Esteve is still naive.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am

I think that Fulham game is the last we see of Ekdal in a Burnley shirt, painfully slow and got done with one long straight ball over the top for the goal.

Al Dakhil I think will come good eventually, I don’t think iv ever seen a defender cost a team so many goals before.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:07 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am
I think that Fulham game is the last we see of Ekdal in a Burnley shirt, painfully slow and got done with one long straight ball over the top for the goal.

Al Dakhil I think will come good eventually, I don’t think iv ever seen a defender cost a team so many goals before.
That would be extremely harsh on Ekdal considering well, it wasn't really just on him (Vitty playing onside, Traff no mans land) and players have made mistakes far worse and continually been backed.

Heck, Esteve (who I like but don't think should be thrusted in to the PL) has been done by long balls in the channel numerous times in his 4 appearances.

Still think we have looked our best with O'Shea x Ekdal and O'Shea x Delcroix.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:14 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am
I would be a bit put out if I was Ekdal.

Esteve is still naive.
Esteve being left footed probably gets him the nod over Ekdal.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3965 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 pm

I'm not sure that Al-Dakhil has played many minutes this season in his orthodox CB position. He's usually been the fall guy played as a full back with very little cover in front of him
With relegation as certainty, if he's fit, I'd quite like to see him given a run of games at CB to see if he is any worse than what we currently have. At least he has pace.

Mark the Claret
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Mark the Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:59 am

Your description of Ekdal could apply to all our defenders unfortunately.
This user liked this post: KateR

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm

I still believe that we were setting up or aiming to set up like city do with a natural centre half at full back. Making it a three when we are on the attack. Like Ake/Gvardiol at city - Al-Dakhil came central from right fullback against benfica and into midfield pressing hard and did really well. However we seemed to go away from that possibly due to recruitment or being pulled to bits early season .

When you look at our options you’d expect at least one to leave in the summer from:

Beyer
Esteve
O’Shea
Al-Dakhil
Ekdal
Delcroix

Not including McNally who’s almost certain to leave .
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:01 pm

McNally has done well on loan so why ditch him?

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:07 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:07 pm
That would be extremely harsh on Ekdal considering well, it wasn't really just on him (Vitty playing onside, Traff no mans land) and players have made mistakes far worse and continually been backed.

Heck, Esteve (who I like but don't think should be thrusted in to the PL) has been done by long balls in the channel numerous times in his 4 appearances.

Still think we have looked our best with O'Shea x Ekdal and O'Shea x Delcroix.
I still think that goal is one where you see how hypercritical fans think they have to be these days. I think it's a fluke. The Fulham player has just hooked it forward to get rid of danger. The striker is slow getting out and the same was the case for Vitinho who's not anticipating the ball forward. As for Trafford, it's exactly where he's supposed to be with sweeper keeper role he's expected to play. It's just a perfect storm which Fulham fortuitously benefit from. In terms of Ekdal, maybe a faster player recovers to stop the goal, but when I saw it back I didn't see any blame at his door.

In terms of the OP, I think we saw in the Championship that Ekdal pace will be a real problem for him. I think he's young enough to use positioning to cover for that, but with VK's preferred high line I don't see much future for him at Burnley. Al-Dakhil is an interesting one. I think Kompany had some plan to use him as a full back similar to how sides like Man City and Arsenal have had success. When it was tried at left back he looked awful, and no surprise there. Then came right back against Spurs where he was already looking short on confidence, and Spurs' high press just ruined him in a position where he looked uncomfortable. Like a lot of our players I think he then found himself with a complete lack of confidence and looked like a rabbit in the headlights. There's a good player there with the right development, and he certainly has the right kind of ball playing skills for a modern centre-back.
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret KateR

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:08 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm
I still believe that we were setting up or aiming to set up like city do with a natural centre half at full back. Making it a three when we are on the attack. Like Ake/Gvardiol at city - Al-Dakhil came central from right fullback against benfica and into midfield pressing hard and did really well. However we seemed to go away from that possibly due to recruitment or being pulled to bits early season .
Agreed -

I thought similar due to the points you alluded to as well as VKs remarks to Gary Neville on the Overlap recorded just before the season started - noticed VK made reference to City's shape and balance etc.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:10 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:07 pm
I still think that goal is one where you see how hypercritical fans think they have to be these days. I think it's a fluke. The Fulham player has just hooked it forward to get rid of danger. The striker is slow getting out and the same was the case for Vitinho who's not anticipating the ball forward. As for Trafford, it's exactly where he's supposed to be with sweeper keeper role he's expected to play. It's just a perfect storm which Fulham fortuitously benefit from. In terms of Ekdal, maybe a faster player recovers to stop the goal, but when I saw it back I didn't see any blame at his door.
I think you're bang on with this.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 862 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:34 pm

I’m not sure how player values increase when they don’t play. Maybe we should have sold some at the end of last season in hindsight. Not sure how this fits Pace’s project that is supposed to be on track.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:21 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:34 pm
I’m not sure how player values increase when they don’t play. Maybe we should have sold some at the end of last season in hindsight. Not sure how this fits Pace’s project that is supposed to be on track.
Different teams are looking for different attributes, and seeing a player not getting game time they think will be better suited to their system. From time to time you see players seem to fail time and again but sell for ever increasing amounts, because of what it is believed/understood by coaches the player offers that they don’t have in the squad.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:12 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:23 pm
I'm not sure that Al-Dakhil has played many minutes this season in his orthodox CB position. He's usually been the fall guy played as a full back with very little cover in front of him
With relegation as certainty, if he's fit, I'd quite like to see him given a run of games at CB to see if he is any worse than what we currently have. At least he has pace.
We’ve already seen Al Dakhil at this level, we don’t need to see more just yet. Threw in 3 goals against Spurs, that brain dead penalty at Newcastle, OG at home to Chelsea and several more

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 375 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:14 pm

I’ve seen how Danny Ings collected the ball in the area .. seemed have all the time in the world to turn and score .. poor defending there I thought

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm

I don’t really get why we’ve brought in Esteve when we have Al-Dakhil. I’ve seen nothing of Esteve to make me think he is an upgrade. The ceiling for both is similar and let’s not forget Al-Dakhil was getting called up to the Belgian side.

Al-Dakhil was a victim of our very open back line, and then forced to play at full back because we had made a hash of the transfer window.

Poor management, yet again.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:45 pm

If Al Dakhil fills out a bit I think he's got the potential to be a very good player. Was hung out to dry a bit earlier this season getting constantly moved around and played out of position.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:53 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:42 pm
I don’t really get why we’ve brought in Esteve when we have Al-Dakhil. I’ve seen nothing of Esteve to make me think he is an upgrade. The ceiling for both is similar and let’s not forget Al-Dakhil was getting called up to the Belgian side.

Al-Dakhil was a victim of our very open back line, and then forced to play at full back because we had made a hash of the transfer window.

I 'think' they are buying them whilst we can afford them. If Esteve has a good season in France there's every chance a Forest or Brighton goes in at a price we won't match. I think we are taking calculated gambles, some will pay off and some won't.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:44 pm

TsarBomba wrote:

Yes, Al-Dakhil has not been well managed this season.
Scarcely played in his orthodox position and cruelly exposed at full-back, I would imagine that confidence is now a huge issue for him.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 pm

TsarBomba wrote:

Agreed -

Worth mentioning as well that when Al-Dakhil played CB against United he looked fine and actually did alright away at City a few weeks back.

Just had far too much put on him in the opening weeks of the season.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:54 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:53 pm
I 'think' they are buying them whilst we can afford them. If Esteve has a good season in France there's every chance a Forest or Brighton goes in at a price we won't match. I think we are taking calculated gambles, some will pay off and some won't.
Agreed Vegas, the only thing I find a bit strange is then chucking the young lads straight in to the first team, sink or swim - like, what's the rush?

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:01 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 pm
Agreed -

Worth mentioning as well that when Al-Dakhil played CB against United he looked fine and actually did alright away at City a few weeks back.

Just had far too much put on him in the opening weeks of the season.
I think the big one that did for him was when he was absolutely bullied off the ball for one of Evertons goals in the league cup. It was pretty humiliating tbh and he hasnt seen much action after that.
Im not sure any if our centre backs are Premier League standard. In fact the best performance ive seen from a cb was Delcroix away at Spurs in the FA cup, i wasnt expecting much when he came on but he was tremendous in that game.
This user liked this post: Anthonini

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:04 pm

Is Delcroix the best player to have ever played for Burnley with their name ending in X?

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm

TsarBomba wrote:

Esteve has a left foot. We have 4 right footers and 2 left. I think Esteve came in when Kompany realized playing Taylor at LCB wasn't a good idea.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:38 pm

superdimitri wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Esteve has a left foot. We have 4 right footers and 2 left. I think Esteve came in when Kompany realized playing Taylor at LCB wasn't a good idea.
Actually, I think that VK prefers Taylor at LCB, but he has realised that he is far and away our best left back, and we have fewer options there, so he's de facto the automatic choice.

yellow tail
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by yellow tail » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm

equinox wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:04 pm
Is Delcroix the best player to have ever played for Burnley with their name ending in X?
No Ian Cox.
This user liked this post: equinox

equinox
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by equinox » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:52 pm

yellow tail wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm
No Ian Cox.
So not even that then.

Holtyclaret
Been Liked: 345 times
Has Liked: 1571 times

Post by Holtyclaret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:59 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:01 pm
McNally has done well on loan so why ditch him?
Too far down the pecking order now.

Did ok at Coventry (they decided to buy Bobby Thomas ahead of him) and at Stoke the boo boys are after him.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:02 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:54 pm
Agreed Vegas, the only thing I find a bit strange is then chucking the young lads straight in to the first team, sink or swim - like, what's the rush?
yep agree, I get the idea behind all of it but to me they have made a complete much of it. I think one of the biggest reasons a huge chunk of the fanbase are still behind Kompany etc is a feeling of complete astonishment at how many mistakes they have made and that they can't possibly make them again - time will tell !!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:58 am

^^^^^mess of it *

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 am

Both look decent signings I don't get the grief people are giving them.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:01 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 am
Yeah I think AAD gets a particularly raw deal, young lad who is often played out of position, mistakes were always bound to happen. I think he will come good.

Ekdal I am less sure of, but I think he gets harsher criticism for the mistakes he makes than others do for similar incidents - not convinced he's starting XI PL quality, but we won't have to worry about that next season anyway....

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 am

Its baffling to me, that with us being devoid of fullbacks that Kompany rates at several times, why we haven't really played with a back 3.

Our stock of centre backs, several of whom are right or left leaning, but not sufficiently to be good fullbacks, should in theory make that arguably one of our better defensive options.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:30 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:14 am
Its baffling to me, that with us being devoid of fullbacks that Kompany rates at several times, why we haven't really played with a back 3.

Our stock of centre backs, several of whom are right or left leaning, but not sufficiently to be good fullbacks, should in theory make that arguably one of our better defensive options.
To play a back three you need top quality attacking fullbacks, we don’t have the quality at full back to play 3 at the back. We’ve switched to this system many many times (including against West Ham) and we’ve been under the pump non stop.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:54 am

I thought Al-Dakhil was injured and out for the season

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:37 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:08 am
It's probably partly pushback against those who were getting massively carried away with them, I'm sure there was someone saying how much better Al-Dakhil was than Tarkowski last season.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:37 am

Claretforever wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:14 pm
Esteve being left footed probably gets him the nod over Ekdal.
Probably, although...sign a new glossy and better play him, is more likely.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am

KRBFC wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:30 am
To play a back three you need top quality attacking fullbacks, we don’t have the quality at full back to play 3 at the back. We’ve switched to this system many many times (including against West Ham) and we’ve been under the pump non stop.
This is true but i do think we have the players in the squad to do it, especially at Champ level. The problem has been weve gone to a proper 5 at the back when in front so the mentality has clearly switched to defense mode. Its an example of something being a good idea on paper but the psychology of it being costly.

Koleosho would be a fantastic wing back and so would JBG, hes basically played that role under Dyche anyway where the wingers get pushed back and full backs go really narrow.

Something like this would be hard for teams to handle in the Championship

...Beyer...Ekdal..Esteve

Jbg....Berge...Cullen...Koleosho

...Benson........Odobert/Zaroury

................Foster

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:36 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 am
This is true but i do think we have the players in the squad to do it, especially at Champ level. The problem has been weve gone to a proper 5 at the back when in front so the mentality has clearly switched to defense mode. Its an example of something being a good idea on paper but the psychology of it being costly.

Koleosho would be a fantastic wing back and so would JBG, hes basically played that role under Dyche anyway where the wingers get pushed back and full backs go really narrow.

...Beyer...Ekdal..Esteve

................Foster
Probably swapping out Benson for Vitinho there, with Vitinho swapping places with Koleosho

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:13 pm

Nevermind them two what were Esteve and o shea playing like on Sunday? 🙈

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Goliath wrote:

...Beyer...Ekdal..Esteve

................Foster
We’d need someone like Maatsen on both wings for that to work really. Not a bad shout though. I’d play berge where you’ve put odobert. He was much further forward against West Ham thankfully.

We need to sell a few of the lightweights and get a quality dcm in.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 pm

Goliath wrote:

...Beyer...Ekdal..Esteve

................Foster
We went to five at the back against Spurs and got absolutely destroyed