Dyche’s Fine Margins

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Dyche’s Fine Margins

Post by houseboy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:12 am

After the Brentford result I got to thinking about the last three games and although you can’t play ifs and buts too much I started to think about Dyche’s oft quoted ‘fine margins’. Last week at West Ham but for yet another late equaliser we should have won. Despite the defeat to Bournemouth we had a very high percentage possession, 12 shots on goal and their keeper was man of the match. But for those ‘fine margins’ the 4 points from the last three games could easily have been nine. If you factor in the two ridiculous VAR decisions (Forest and Luton) and we could easily have 13 more points than we have and if we had we would not have been worrying about anything. There have been a number of other late equalisers as well.
All this doesn’t make our situation any better of course but it does show that Dyche’s fine margins can make a world of difference. Just a thought.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: Dyche’s Fine Margins

Post by mdd2 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 am

If my auntie "had", she would have been my uncle!

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:18 am

I think we're allowed to say 'balls' on here.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 am

Those fine margins are often dictated by quality in each box, and even with all the stars aligning yesterday we could have thrown the points away with some really wasteful finishing and defensive errors.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am

The truth is, we’ve not been as bad as a lot on here have been making out.

Also we weren’t that good yesterday. We played a team with 10 men for 90 minutes and made hard work of it.

I agree in a lot of the games we’ve been on the wrong side of the luck and I also think our opening fixtures were brutal, just not allowing us to carry forward any of last seasons momentum. Not to mention VAR decisions and injuries. I don’t think we’re any worse than that pack just above the relegation zone now.

I’ve seen improvements in us and I think we’ve been looking like a premier league team for a while (maybe Villa away) just not quite good enough to create more of our own luck and get on the right side of the margins. But enough to convince me that we’ll be better for this year and fine next season in the championship.
These 2 users liked this post: djt2006 Wo Didi

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:39 am

mdd2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 am
If my auntie "had", she would have been my uncle!
I was waiting for someone to post this...just didn’t expect it so early. 😂

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:45 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am
The truth is, we’ve not been as bad as a lot on here have been making out.

Also we weren’t that good yesterday. We played a team with 10 men for 90 minutes and made hard work of it.

I agree in a lot of the games we’ve been on the wrong side of the luck and I also think our opening fixtures were brutal, just not allowing us to carry forward any of last seasons momentum. Not to mention VAR decisions and injuries. I don’t think we’re any worse than that pack just above the relegation zone now.

I’ve seen improvements in us and I think we’ve been looking like a premier league team for a while (maybe Villa away) just not quite good enough to create more of our own luck and get on the right side of the margins. But enough to convince me that we’ll be better for this year and fine next season in the championship.
Its hard to judge yesterdays performance. I think theres a good chance wed have looked bettwr if theyd had 11.
The psychology of the game completely changes at 1 0 against 10 and we suddenly become big favourites which was an unwanted pressure for a team thats won once at home all season

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 am

We had a lot of possession owing to their 10 men, however, our goal came when we broke after Vitinho interception in our box.

Passing about didn't get us far. We missed all our chances. Breaking fast is what we xan do at times.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2258 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:53 am
We had a lot of possession owing to their 10 men, however, our goal came when we broke after Vitinho interception in our box.

Passing about didn't get us far. We missed all our chances. Breaking fast is what we xan do at times.
Even last season I thought we were at our best when we countered at pace.

A lot of the tactic this season with slowing the game down and trying to draw a press etc has been to our detriment, imo.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:02 pm

Dyche's "fine margins" was just an excuse for when the team wasn't very good. Quite an apt comparison for this season in that regard.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:15 pm

If you narrowly drop/gain points in 1 or 2 games, it's fine margins and you're either a tad unlucky or tad lucky.
Same with officials- 1 or 2 is unlucky.
If you get a lot of bad refereeing decisions against you, it's reasonable to believe you're being hard done by, not just the unlucky victim of accidental incompetence.
Same token, if you miss out or eke it out multiple times on fine margins, that's not luck that's a team that's either flawed & fragile, or resilient.

I think we've been hard done by by referees, maybe not as badly as a few years under Dyche but there's definitely been a lot more bad calls against us than for us, and 50-50s rarely go our way. But I don't think consistently inconsistent officals wipe out enough of our weak jaw problems to just attribute the season to fine margins/bad luck as there's still plenty more examples.

Yesterday we still had a lot of the same weaknesses we've had all season, got the result, even though I have Muric as MOTM I don't think we necessarily won it because of him if that makes sense- I think we had a turn of luck, because we've had a LOT of fine margins where we've dropped points. More likely we're a flawed team who got lucky, than a consistently unlucky team who magically clicked now. Hope that it is the latter, mind.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:42 pm

The weaknesses were still apparent. Nature of how we play.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:53 pm

Var at Forest for Berge goal -2
JBG missed open net home to Liverpool -1
West Ham home two late goals -3
Luton home late goal -2
West Ham away late goal -2
Villa away late pen -1
Bournemouth away late handball (should of had a pen) -1

Those are just a few off the top of my head

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:03 pm

Every club will have a few they can point to. Wolves have had some shocking VAR decisions go against them, even Liverpool had a perfectly good goal chalked off due to incompetence of the officials.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 923 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:20 pm

A lot of the 'lost' points have been down to lack of experience, on the pitch and off it. Notwithstanding some marginal decisions going against us.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:53 pm
Var at Forest for Berge goal -2
JBG missed open net home to Liverpool -1
West Ham home two late goals -3
Luton home late goal -2
West Ham away late goal -2
Villa away late pen -1
Bournemouth away late handball (should of had a pen) -1

Those are just a few off the top of my head
Luton away - late goal +2
Fulham home - 2 late goals +1
West Ham away - potential late penalty +1
Brentford home - potential penalty +2

Just to add some balance.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:32 pm

Forest away and West Ham at home were unlucky results. This season’s disaster isn’t down to fine margins though. At a lot of the results under Dyche were as we were in a lot of games with narrow score lines for a lot of his time here.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:49 pm

Personally I find it hard to say this season has been fine margins. For the bulk of it we've looked miles away. In terms of expectations, at the start of the season there was a large group who thought we could confidently survive, even the ones who had us as relegation material wouldnt have backed us to be this uncompetitive.

The fact that yesterday is the first league game that Muric and Cullen have started together is not a fine margin either.

Personally I don't think we've lost this season on the pitch, we lost it in the boardroom with the decision to put all our eggs into the potential basket and through extreme naivety of the management team and consistently poor selections ala Muric.
The side has had no identity all season.

We got it wrong from top to bottom this season for me and it's not a fine margin and not the result of decisions from referees or players on the field.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3809 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:04 pm

Brighton away conceded late -2
Liverpool away 3 sitters at 1-2 -1
Wolves away who knows what happens if Rodriguez sticks that easy chance away and we go 1 up.