Ashley Barnes - Horse Racing Ban

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Ashley Barnes - Horse Racing Ban

Post by JohnMac » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:27 pm

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Re: Ashley Barnes - Horse Racing Ban

Post by NewClaret » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:36 pm

I’d have thought slaying the horse fiddlers would’ve earned Barnesy a medal not a ban.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8538 times
Has Liked: 18286 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:49 pm

Why would Brighton (BHA) ban Barnesy from horse racing 😉

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 pm

One of his big hobbies that. Have seen and spoken to him regularly at the races. His horse was pulled out of a race that our horse won at Doncaster a couple of years ago, he was there with a few others and the trainers Oliver Greenall and Josh Guerrerio.

ISpeds00
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by ISpeds00 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm

I've heard it's serious - race fixing type stuff

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 pm

ISpeds00 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm
I've heard it's serious - race fixing type stuff
Isn't that absolutely rife in horse racing.

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:51 pm

Goliath wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 pm
Absolutely not,it's all above board ask Dande Claret. 😁

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 am

I reckon that’s why all Flyingbolts tips came last, race fixing.

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:04 am

Goliath wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:13 pm
Not absolutely rife, but happens occasionally. Authorities crack down hard when there’s evidence, particularly in betting patterns.

This could be him laying his own horse to lose, not through fixing a race, just through insider knowledge or his own judgement, but it’s an absolute no no. Even if I back my horse and then decide that I’ve had too much on, and want to lay it, I can’t do it…. You can’t lay (back your selection to lose) your own horse at any time.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:04 am
Not absolutely rife, but happens occasionally. Authorities crack down hard when there’s evidence, particularly in betting patterns.

This could be him laying his own horse to lose, not through fixing a race, just through insider knowledge or his own judgement, but it’s an absolute no no. Even if I back my horse and then decide that I’ve had too much on, and want to lay it, I can’t do it…. You can’t lay (back your selection to lose) your own horse at any time.
What about intentionally losing races to build up the odds and then surprisingly flying in at a big price?

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 am

If horses are winning at big prices, it's a surprise - and there's little money on them, or the price would collapse.

If horses win having, shown no form, and then wins easily with loads of money applied - that's when they are investigated. If you want a good example of this, you can search Ronan McNally for recent examples of this.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't rife.
This user liked this post: Goliath

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am

I always knew that my once a year horse racing bet on the Grand National that invariably doesn't get placed was due to corruption and not my tried and trusted the "colours are almost Claret" selection method wasn't flawed. How do I get compensation?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:05 am

Anyone who ***** over a bookie is alright in my book!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 am
If horses are winning at big prices, it's a surprise - and there's little money on them, or the price would collapse.

If horses win having, shown no form, and then wins easily with loads of money applied - that's when they are investigated. If you want a good example of this, you can search Ronan McNally for recent examples of this.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it isn't rife.
What do you make of decline of British horses at the minute, compared to the Irish?

Is it just money getting poured into the sport in Ireland?

People seem a lot more worried than ever. I seen a tweet yesterday saying there won't be a single British horse in the Irish National this year and only 6 in the Grand National.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:32 am

Did Godolphin move to Ireland?

Arabs were propping up English racing.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am
What do you make of decline of British horses at the minute, compared to the Irish?

People seem a lot more worried than ever. I seen a tweet yesterday saying there won't be a single British horse in the Irish National this year and only 6 in the Grand National.
I wonder if the Queen's passing has moved the needle on that? Can't imagine Charles is too fussed?

Goddy
Been Liked: 192 times
Has Liked: 694 times

Post by Goddy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am
I always knew that my once a year horse racing bet on the Grand National that invariably doesn't get placed was due to corruption and not my tried and trusted the "colours are almost Claret" selection method wasn't flawed. How do I get compensation?
That's always been my approach, too, bfcjg.

The only time I won was Rag Trade in 1976. (On the same day I was at Elland Road watching us lose 2-1 to DL. Mixed emotions that day for sure.....)
This user liked this post: bfcjg

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:25 am

This isn't a new thing unfortunately, it's been the happening for 10 years now. Over Jumps there's rarely a runner in the Irish National anyway - only the odd one makes the journey, but the English national is more worrying. However, if you peel back the layers, a number of the horses are irish trained, but English owned. Whilst on the flat, the prize money in Japan / Hong Kong / Australia / Dubai and now Bahrain is 100's of times more than the UK. So when a young horse shows a decent level of ability, they are sold abroad very quickly for miles more than they could win on the flat, unless they are owned by the Emerati's or European based billionaires. The impacts of the queen passing is minimal, she was gifted horses by the previous 2 groups, and probably had 30 or so in training (probably 3,000 - 5,000 or so horses in total on the flat in training). Charles has continued the trend, whilst Camilla has regularly had a small number of jumps horses.

Focusing on the jumps problems, English owners have been putting horses with a small number of Irish trainers for a while now, and have had great success partnering with Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott. There's a few reasons for this

1) Prize money in Ireland is better - significantly. In average in the UK, as a racehorse owner - you lose 91p in every pound you spend, AFTER you've paid for the horse. Our latest horse cost £42k + vat, and training fees are around £2k per month. We've finished 2nd and 3rd in races this season (in high grade races as well), and the prize money for that has been about £3k before deductions. So we'll probably have about £2k in prize money - very much fitting the average marks above. In Ireland, if we'd finished 2nd and 3rd in similar races we'd have collected about £15k before deductions. The models are different, and I believe racecourses (through media rights) are stripping out huge amounts of funding that

2) However, Irish racing is much more competitive. They don't race 7 days a week, they tend to race 4 days a week, and therefore there's a smaller number of races. In the UK you might have 3 races worth £8k each, in Ireland you'd have one worth £50k. That competitive racing, contributes to the best horses racing against each other more often, and increasing their quality - whereas in the UK, you've 3 options to chosse from, so if Paul Nicholls has a very good horse in a novice hurdle, Nicky Henderson will avoid racing that horse and go to one of the other 2 options.

3) Ireland has a grip on securing the best young bloodstock.The point to point trainers provide an amazing filtration system, and Willie Mullins, Gordon Elliott and Hendry De Bromhead have incredibly strong links that allow them to get first pick after they've been in training for a while, before UK trainers even get a look in - hence UK owners working more and more with these stables. Equally the connections Willie Mullins has built up in France are beyond compare, and he secures the best bloodstock from there. This stranglehold doesn't feel like it will change soon.

So English (and it is English, rather than British) jumps racing is in a worrying state at present, and in rapid decline, beset by the leading factions all looking after their own interests (BHA, Racecourse association, bookmakers, Horsemen group etc) rather than the health of the overall sport. The future looks bleak, and for me the enjoyment has dropped massively. 3 years ago I had 5 horses in training, now, it's 1.... and at present, there's very little interest in restocking (Usually happens in May each year for us).

Sorry for the long post - it's a soapbox subject for me.
These 2 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo Croydon Claret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:54 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 am
This isn't a new thing unfortunately, it's been the happening for 10 years now. Over Jumps there's rarely a runner in the Irish National anyway - only the odd one makes the journey, but the English national is more worrying. However, if you peel back the layers, a number of the horses are irish trained, but English owned. Whilst on the flat, the prize money in Japan / Hong Kong / Australia / Dubai and now Bahrain is 100's of times more than the UK. So when a young horse shows a decent level of ability, they are sold abroad very quickly for miles more than they could win on the flat, unless they are owned by the Emerati's or European based billionaires. The impacts of the queen passing is minimal, she was gifted horses by the previous 2 groups, and probably had 30 or so in training (probably 3,000 - 5,000 or so horses in total on the flat in training). Charles has continued the trend, whilst Camilla has regularly had a small number of jumps horses.

Focusing on the jumps problems, English owners have been putting horses with a small number of Irish trainers for a while now, and have had great success partnering with Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott. There's a few reasons for this

1) Prize money in Ireland is better - significantly. In average in the UK, as a racehorse owner - you lose 91p in every pound you spend, AFTER you've paid for the horse. Our latest horse cost £42k + vat, and training fees are around £2k per month. We've finished 2nd and 3rd in races this season (in high grade races as well), and the prize money for that has been about £3k before deductions. So we'll probably have about £2k in prize money - very much fitting the average marks above. In Ireland, if we'd finished 2nd and 3rd in similar races we'd have collected about £15k before deductions. The models are different, and I believe racecourses (through media rights) are stripping out huge amounts of funding that

2) However, Irish racing is much more competitive. They don't race 7 days a week, they tend to race 4 days a week, and therefore there's a smaller number of races. In the UK you might have 3 races worth £8k each, in Ireland you'd have one worth £50k. That competitive racing, contributes to the best horses racing against each other more often, and increasing their quality - whereas in the UK, you've 3 options to chosse from, so if Paul Nicholls has a very good horse in a novice hurdle, Nicky Henderson will avoid racing that horse and go to one of the other 2 options.

3) Ireland has a grip on securing the best young bloodstock.The point to point trainers provide an amazing filtration system, and Willie Mullins, Gordon Elliott and Hendry De Bromhead have incredibly strong links that allow them to get first pick after they've been in training for a while, before UK trainers even get a look in - hence UK owners working more and more with these stables. Equally the connections Willie Mullins has built up in France are beyond compare, and he secures the best bloodstock from there. This stranglehold doesn't feel like it will change soon.

So English (and it is English, rather than British) jumps racing is in a worrying state at present, and in rapid decline, beset by the leading factions all looking after their own interests (BHA, Racecourse association, bookmakers, Horsemen group etc) rather than the health of the overall sport. The future looks bleak, and for me the enjoyment has dropped massively. 3 years ago I had 5 horses in training, now, it's 1.... and at present, there's very little interest in restocking (Usually happens in May each year for us).

Cheers for the reply.

Hopefully it improves in the future.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:58 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:15 am

Good to have an informed post from an SME on here. Doesn't happen often, sadly

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:06 am

A guy I did a lot of work for was an avid horse racing follower,he wasn't a professional gambler but subsidised his not inconsiderable lifestyle with betting. He told me he only bets on races like at Cartmel and other minor courses as these are less likely to attract attention and "help" is available. Not being remotely interested in racing I'm not sure if this was fanciful talk or there is a grain of truth in it.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am

Check the Barney Curley story out featuring yellow Sam great story in Irish racing utc

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 193 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:56 am

Watch the man who beat the bookies 😂utc

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:11 pm

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:02 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abBYIR-xP ... Npbg%3D%3D

This is the ride in question. The horse went from 2/1 out to 12/1 just before the race. Someone with connections to the horse clearly placed a large bet for it not to win. That horse could have won that race by a long long way, but the jockey was instructed not to win. Disgraceful.

If Barnes had any input in that decision, he should rightly be nowhere near a racecourse ever again.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:23 pm

SalouClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:02 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abBYIR-xP ... Npbg%3D%3D

This is the ride in question. The horse went from 2/1 out to 12/1 just before the race. Someone with connections to the horse clearly placed a large bet for it not to win. That horse could have won that race by a long long way, but the jockey was instructed not to win. Disgraceful.

If Barnes had any input in that decision, he should rightly be nowhere near a racecourse ever again.
Ffs. Incredibly thick to make it that obvious

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm

Goliath wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:23 pm
Ffs. Incredibly thick to make it that obvious

Amazingly bad wasn't it :mrgreen:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:43 pm

SalouClaret wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:41 pm
Amazingly bad wasn't it :mrgreen:
To be fair to Dylan on the run in both of his arms locked and he was left unable to push the horse out properly until passing the winning post :D
This user liked this post: SalouClaret

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:13 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:43 pm
To be fair to Dylan on the run in both of his arms locked and he was left unable to push the horse out properly until passing the winning post :D
Haha, that's the only explanation!

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 pm

After reading this thread - I'm so glad that I've never bothered with the gee-gees. A weekend football acca is enough for me. Informative thread, though. Cheers.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:52 pm

Article now on Racing post website news section.

Horse in question reported as Hillsin at Worcester last Summer

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:30 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:34 pm
After reading this thread - I'm so glad that I've never bothered with the gee-gees. A weekend football acca is enough for me. Informative thread, though. Cheers.
I had a mate that worked race days at Catterick. Young stable girl, a Malton yard, would go for a brew if it had no chance and go waiting for it after the finishing line if it had a good chance. He only backed them when she went to the rails. He did very well.

Eyesofblue2
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Eyesofblue2 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:45 am

I always liked the old Lester Piggot story, probably apocryphal, but it's worth bearing in mind if you're betting the geegees. He was asked to ride a 2yo at Newmarket a few weeks before Royal Ascot, it was making it's debut and he was asked to give it a 'quiet' ride, a gentle introduction to racing, as they were going for one of the big Royal Ascot 2yo races with it. He settled it in midfield, did just enough with it to keep the stewards off his back and finished right up behind the first four. The first thing he was asked when he jumped off was, 'Can we beat those in front of us at Ascot ?' 'Oh yes', said Lester, 'We can beat them , but I don't know about those behind us'.